• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Feelin' better in the NSX

Yesterday I went and saw a movie called "an inconvenient truth". Its a very eye-opening movie about our planet, and what we are doing to it. Agree or disagree with its content, it leaves little question that at the very least, gas guzzling is not the best thing to do.

Leaving the theater, I thought about the gas guzzling that my other sports cars have done. Especially my V12 CL600. Comfortable it was, little driven, it was. But still it did what it did.

Kinda made me feel good with the NSX. I mean here is a true sports car that through effeciency, is doing what none of its competitors are doing. Everyone in this price range is going to higher and higher levels of horsepower to combat the fat that the cars have. But I take my NSX on long highway rides and I barely see the gas gauge move compared to some cars I have driven in the past.

There is something elegant and beautiful in being effecient. The NSX is a jewel. Am I the only one that thinks of this aspect of the NSX?

I agree. when the NSX was designed, it was designed to be timeless, friendly, and efficient. its impressive to see that a design from the 80's is still immune to the test of time. (some people may say that the NSX is showing its age, but i disagree. they say that because of its lack of power, and the offerings of modern supercars) maybe Japanese engineers were more than a couple of steps ahead. instead of designing a pure performance car, they opt for a balance, which led to its longevity. i mean common a ferrari w/ over 100k miles?? thats unheard of. the NSX, redefining the meaning of "SUPERcar". the NSX is imortal.

Very much agree. Some manufacturers are actually proud of their ever-increasing 5.7L and 6.3L offerings.

Having said that, I'm still puzzled by how regulators continue to turn a blind eye on the truckers. They make a tough living, but the black smoke from those trailers outweigh a ton of environmental initiatives ..

I wouldn't be so quick to take everything Hollywood throws at me as a fact. It's negligible for the environment whether a sports car gets 2 fewer or or greater mpgs.

I enjoy driving my NSX too, but it's not because of the fuel economy. When I used to have my Viper people would come up to me and ask me what the fuel economy was, as if I gave a crap.

AndyNSX said:
I wouldn't be so quick to take everything Hollywood throws at me as a fact. It's negligible for the environment whether a sports car gets 2 fewer or or greater mpgs.

I enjoy driving my NSX too, but it's not because of the fuel economy. When I used to have my Viper people would come up to me and ask me what the fuel economy was, as if I gave a crap.

As a small NSX community, I doubt if ALL of our cars put together add up to anything significant. Same if you took all the Vipers in the world and added them up.

But sometimes you do something, because it is the right thing to do. It does not matter how insignificant it is. Someone in my car recently threw some trash out the window... "what difference does it make? look at all the trash here already"... To me that matters not. What matters is that I do the right thing.

A big gas guzzling car is irresponsible for a whole host of reasons. Yet auto manufacturers continue to for the most part go down the path of bigger engines, more power, more fat and more weight.

The NSX, back in 1991, was a responsible car. The use of aluminum, the effeciency of a V-Tec V6, excellent aerodynamics, the precision of a true sports car.

Its easy to make a car go fast when energy use is of no concern. I am not sure that qualifies as good engineering. Good engineering is working with limited resources, and producing something beautiful, nonetheless.

TURBO2GO said:
As a small NSX community, I doubt if ALL of our cars put together add up to anything significant. Same if you took all the Vipers in the world and added them up.

But sometimes you do something, because it is the right thing to do. It does not matter how insignificant it is. Someone in my car recently threw some trash out the window... "what difference does it make? look at all the trash here already"... To me that matters not. What matters is that I do the right thing.

A big gas guzzling car is irresponsible for a whole host of reasons. Yet auto manufacturers continue to for the most part go down the path of bigger engines, more power, more fat and more weight.

The NSX, back in 1991, was a responsible car. The use of aluminum, the effeciency of a V-Tec V6, excellent aerodynamics, the precision of a true sports car.

Its easy to make a car go fast when energy use is of no concern. I am not sure that qualifies as good engineering. Good engineering is working with limited resources, and producing something beautiful, nonetheless.

With that logic, why do you say in your signature that you're getting a supercharger on your car? That will surely lower the fuel economy of your car. While insigificant, it's not zero right?

AndyNSX said:
With that logic, why do you say in your signature that you're getting a supercharger on your car? That will surely lower the fuel economy of your car. While insigificant, it's not zero right?

I am not really sure that it will. Obviously aerodynamic drag remains constant. And weight increases a minute amount. I seriously doubt that the fuel economy of the car changes much at all. Its still a very light, very aerodynamic car with a very efficient engine.

Anyway, I can see what you are saying. I could walk and not drive at all, right? maybe ride my bike. My point is not this... my point is that knowing I cannot be perfect, and that I enjoy cars very much (including your gas guzzling Viper that I would definitely think is cool), I still do prefer and admire the NSX for the fact that it gives me all this precision and joy with minimum consumption. That is my point.

I look at the wheels and tires alone... 215/17... not very big by the standards these days... smaller calipers... but light... and they do the job so well. It just proves that you really don't need excess to be great. And that takes more engineering prowess.

Not trying to get a group hug together like Armando might say... I am still new to the NSX. And really starting to appreciate these sometimes overlooked qualities.

hydrazine said:
Very much agree. Some manufacturers are actually proud of their ever-increasing 5.7L and 6.3L offerings.

Yep, and those 5.7L get better gas mileage too.:rolleyes:

turbo2go:

"Leaving the theater, I thought about the gas guzzling that my other sports cars have done. Especially my V12 CL600. Comfortable it was, little driven, it was. But still it did what it did.

Kinda made me feel good with the NSX. I mean here is a true sports car that through effeciency, is doing what none of its competitors are doing. Everyone in this price range is going to higher and higher levels of horsepower to combat the fat that the cars have. But I take my NSX on long highway rides and I barely see the gas gauge move compared to some cars I have driven in the past.

There is something elegant and beautiful in being effecient. The NSX is a jewel."

YES.

TURBO2GO said:
Yesterday I went and saw a movie called "an inconvenient truth". Its a very eye-opening movie about our planet, and what we are doing to it.

funny that they would attach the word "truth" to that movie.

satx said:
funny that they would attach the word "truth" to that movie.
Thats what I was thinking too. lol.
"I'm not a scientist, but I play one on tv"

I agree with the OP though, its nice to see honda going after efficiency rather then just stuffing a huge V8 into a heavy car.

It's very, very important to be aware of our negative effects on the earth. That being said, not our cars, trucks, industry, not even our entire country is where your concern should be if you truly want to tackle this objective. Do about 20 minutes of research on China's pollutant outputs in the last 20 years. Your v12 benz is not worth any concern, but it is vital we all do our part. Your 'throwing trash out the window' analogy hit right at home.

So, TURBO2GO, what actual are you trying to say? :wink:

Kyzer Sosa said:
So, TURBO2GO, what actual are you trying to say? :wink:

Well... I had this Mercedes CL600, and a terrific car it was. And before buying the NSX, I was eyeing the CL65. Because I thought 604 HP would be even better. Why I ask myself now, is because I thought the car would be more fun to drive. If 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is good, then 4.0 is even better.

With the NSX, I have realized that you don't need to have more power....burn more gas, support people I do not want to support and pollute things I don't want to pollute to have a more enjoyable driving experience. Some good engineering and lighter weight gave me everything I was looking for and I feel I didn't make any sacrifices.

The CL65's window sticker read 13MPG. Is this 2006 I asked myself? My first car, a 1975 Oldsmobile with a 455 big block that weighed 6000 pounds got 13 MPG.

I am sort of thrilled at the NSX when I drive it so much and get such good milage anyway. I think more auto manufacturers can learn to think like this.

I hope the next NSX is still a tight, small package, highly efficient even if it is more powerful. I hope Honda doesn't go the route of everyone else and that 5 years from now their ads still say "the most fuel efficient car company in America". Let it be slower in a straight line than the LF-A, The GTR, whatever porsche, ferrari and lamborghini... I will still buy one. I really like this one Honda, don't dissapoint me with the next one. :smile:

While I'm not super passionate about the fuel econ / emissions stuff, I do agree that the extra MPG is definitely a nice bonus.

What does really impress me is all of the power and performance from a car with such a small and lightweight engine. You can really tell that Honda was thinking about every little detail of the car.

Last edited:
Back