• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

FAKE tb/wp invoice given to me when I bought NSX!!!!

In New York and I imagine in any other state this is a crime. Falsifying Business Records. You may have to do most of the detective work but if you figure out who did it a call to the police may be in order.

Subaru stamps their engines when the timing belt has been changed by a dealer. No paper trail required.
i suspect this isn't too common of a problem, but I am sure it still happens from time to time.
I am always surprised how used car lots seldom have the car's records. Too much information for them to share?

Last edited:
"Call the cops" lol I'm sure they will be right on that one.

Unfortunately you were had. But you caught it. TB are changed for preventive purpose. Your TB will not explode and hasn't on said date. Get the car serviced and your good to go. People scam a lot worse then a service records. There is nothing you can do about it. Unless your a lawyer with a bunch of free time to waste. You're not going to get anywhere.

That is fortunate you caught the TB issue.

I didnt care what records came w/ my car as i was going to have it all done anyway (car in dealership for 1/2 a year). My dealership (in PA) somehow justified no service records w/ the car due to "personal information" issues. I had Ben (Daisy Auto) knock all the maintenance needs after his asessments were done. It's nice to know in the back of my mind that the entire car was looked at, and taken cared of. The last year has proven just that (daily driven, 16,000 miles added).

Lets get a FEW things straight here. First off, I purchased the car from a 61yr old Dr from VA who was beyond questionable and gave me the run around from day one. I found the car, was in contact with the seller. Agreed on price/deal/etc. Fedexed a $3000 bank check deposit on the car, which he put into his account and he then disappeared for over 2 weeks. After 100's of phone calls, and basically next step was to drive 8 hours away I finally got him back on the line. His communication was completely hit or miss, would never respond for days, house phone was disconnected. In the meantime, I googled his home address/work address and called all places he was listed to practice. Every one I called, stated he no longer worked there. After some digging, I found he had encountered hard times and was selling off all his vehicles which included the NSX, a Mercedes, 60's Corvette convertible, and 60's Cadillac both restored. Not sure if he had faced law suits, had a drug issue, but gathered something was off. He had told me his wife left him and there was issues there as well. He then stated he was going to the Dominican Republic for his sons wedding and/or to live eventually.

Should I have walked from day one/and or when all these issues started? Sure. But I had already sent a deposit and really wanted a 96' Black/Black extremely clean zero accident 2 owner car that was all original, bone stock down to the antenna. I was as patient as I could be.

BEFORE I agreed to purchase the car, I told the seller I NEEDED documentation the WP/TB service was done, which he said was done in 2008, along with other maintenance records or I had zero interest and would not purchase the vehicle (or would factor that in to have Larry B do, or my local NSX specific mechanic who owns one as well.) I had dealt with his son as well through the transactions via his fathers cell phone.

(My past experience with my own personal 95!!! Not 97, not 98 or whatever year the now buyer assumes/accuses... I was told my tb/wp service was done whereas it wasn't by previous owner. In 2006, I was driving and my Belt snapped. Bent ALL the valves, engine needed a total overhaul to the tune of $8k). So for ANY ACCUSATIONS THAT I did falsify anything, is completely ridiculous and outlandish. In addition to that, I would NEVER, EVER drive a car that was 17 years old without the belt service done risking destroying the engine after it happened to me years ago. The seller of the 96' BB then explained he had them, and his son would get them to me within the week (due to the fact he did not have a scanner or fax available.) He then supplied the receipts that showed they were done in 2008, which I fwd to the current owner. I had planned to have them done myself this winter, being the service was done 6 years ago.

Since I work an extremely busy schedule and am far from where the vehicle was, I had it inspected before I purchased. Everything checked out. I then sent my shipper to pick up the car with a bank check in hand (personal shipper I have used for years). Once he arrived, the seller was no where to be found (once again!) After I had called and called, I finally got him back on the line. My shipper spent the night in the area and went back to the sellers residence, waited there and eventually was greeted by someone who my shipper said looked like he had some issues or was going through something. If we want to get into the details here, my shipper then handed over the bank check to the seller... and started to get the trailer setup to tow the car back. He is actually a paraplegic who drives with hand controls and turned around and the seller was gone. The seller still had the keys, title, and everything else. He went up to the house door and knocked and waited for over an hour when I decided to call the VA state police (all documented btw). They then sent 2 cars to the residence... knocked on the door and the seller came running out nearly instantly. He called me at that point saying he didn't know why I would call the police, whereas I explained he now had my check, deposit, keys and title and left my guy out in the road waiting to take the car. My shipper then got the car loaded and headed back.

After I had the car in my possession, fully paid and title/documents in hand I had a few questions regarding the vehicle. Needless to say, the seller to this day has not responded or answered his phone.

After PghMiller and I were in contact about the car, I mentioned I may consider selling only to upgrade to a 2002+. I then changed my mind and really fell in love with it during the 3 months I owned it. I had it detailed and was driving it. He then continued to pursue and I decided I'd rather see someone else use and enjoy the car, and in the meantime found a White 05' I had planned to purchase.

In addition to all of this, I would never EVER screw anyone. Life is too short. I have owned my car 10 years now and have been on prime over 9. I have dealt with every big name out there, and have 100's of people who can vouch for me. Lets get a few more things straight here... PghMiller messaged me blaming me instantly saying the previous seller did not do this but I did!! This is the farthest thing from the truth. In addition to that, the false accusations that are being thrown at me state that I copied an invoice from my own personal car?!!!!!!!!? I have NEVER had my personal car serviced at the dealership. Larry B himself did a ton of work on my car (including clutch replacement, transmission replacement, etc and never gave me an Acura Statement.) The other mechanic who works on my car, is friends with PbassJo and has worked on his car is private mechanic who has never given me an invoice from Acura as well.

BEFORE PghMiller purchased the car, he and I brought the car to Hart Acura who did a complete test drive/PPI and the car checked out perfectly. In addition to that, he also drove the car to Larry B who inspected the car and gave it a thumbs up.

I understand the frustration here and I myself am not happy about any of this. But to automatically BLAME me and throw my name around really ticks me off. I would literally give someone the shirt off my back and NEVER EVER screw anyone. Had I known this would all go on, I would have easily kept the car and enjoyed it.

wow....you really must have needed to buy that car......knee deep in all those red flags.Forget about all this TB forging crap..what a sketchy seller was doc wacko.

wow....you really must have needed to buy that car......knee deep in all those red flags.Forget about all this TB forging crap..what a sketchy seller was doc wacko.

I didn't really need to buy that car, but the Doctor was very up front and accessible UNTIL he received the $3000 bank check deposit. Once that was done and the issues started I knew there was no way I would ever recoup that and decided to be patient to get the car I paid towards. Needless to say, the entire transaction was a nightmare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Chris sold the car to PghMiller and gave all the records from the previous owner. It stated the service was done in 2008. Chris didn't even own the car then, so it sounds like the guy who sold the car to Chris did something shady. It sucks the timing belt records was "falsified," but how was Chris supposed to validate it's authenticity or not? On a side not (and to put things in perspective), it's due for a timing belt/WP next year anyways. Just sayin....

+1.

but at this point... there is nothing you can do. get the TB/WP done i about 6 months or so. as chris said its almost time anyways and the car had fully checked out upon purchasing.

I do think someone did made a fake invoice but the million dollar question is WHO DONE IT?

Synth19 and myw... yes I understand that IF the tb/wp was actually replaced in 2008, I was due to get the work done NEXT YEAR "anyways"... but the falsified document means that THEY HAVEN'T BEEN REPLACED, SO IT'S WAY OVERDUE... which means Chris was driving around AT RISK for the 4 months HE owned the car, and I'm PRESENTLY driving around AT RISK... and I WOULD HAVE been driving around for the next several months AT RISK. So the fact that I "needed to get the work done next year anyways" doesn't excuse the forging of documents. I am right now driving my car at risk (and had I not figured this whole thing out, I could have fu<ked up my car).

Also Synth19 and Chris... I know Chris didn't own the car in 2008, but that means nothing. I don't think you're understanding what happened here....
Someone cut-off the TOP PORTION of a legit Crown Acura invoice that was dated 2008 (from an oil change) and used that TOP PORTION and taped it to the BOTTOM PORTION of a real nsx tb/wp replacement job FROM A DIFFERENT SHOP (the TOP of the invoice is Crown Acura but the BOTTOM of the invoice is from some other shop).... and they did this to MAKE IT LOOK LIKE it was replaced in 2008 at Crown Acura. All I'm saying is that Chris probably has a real invoice from a tb/wp replacement laying around his house, that he could have used the bottom portion (in the pic above) and just taped a Crown Acura heading at the top. Facts are facts... possibilities are possibilities... I'm not saying anything FOR CERTAIN.
Chris, I never blamed you, I actually specifically never said any names in this thread above because I don't KNOW who forged the document.... all that the facts say is someone who owned the car before me forged the document. (I actually don't think it was cool of that person above to use your name)

So it "could have" been Chris... or the guy that owned it before him. That's all I know. Chris plead his case above and that's great, good for him. I tried to keep his name silent because I have NO PROOF if he did it or not (but he could have). He was cool and nice throughout the whole process. But our process was "a little shady" too, see my next post below.... (I have to go copy/paste it from an email)

i don't think this sale or the players was a secret...Both Chris and you have posted about the sale..and all seemed well until this.But as you say the only fact you have is this curious receipt.

CORRECTION... you absolutely blamed me:

09-06-2013, 21:28
PghMiller's Avatar Join Date
Apr 2013
Yo
I got some horrible news today...

The invoice you gave me that was from Crown Acura showing that the timing belt and water pump were replaced WAS A FAKE! Crown Acura performed service on the car that day (the date of the invoice) BUT it was for basic things (OC sensor, wash/detail, etc) and Crown Acura CONFIRMED with 100% certainty that they NEVER replaced the water pump, timing belt, and all other items listed on that fake invoice!

I sent them the 3 Crown Acura invoices you gave me... they said 2 of them were real, but the 1 showing the tb/wp/etc was obviously copied from one of the legitimate invoices then altered! Because all of the data at the TOP of the invoice (the "invoice number" and "service dates" and VIN number, etc) were exactly the same as the other invoice, EVEN the INVOICE NUMBER... and there's a noticeable line across the page right below that portion of the page, and the rest of the page BELOW that line is all typed in a font that they don't even use...
So the TOP portion of the page is a copy of a legit invoice from Crown Acura... but the bottom portion of the page that describes the work that was completed has been altered and is completely FAKE.
(so I have 3 invoice, all SHOULD have different "invoice numbers"... but 2 of them have the SAME invoice number!!! So they pulled up the invoice number in their system and it confirms the ONE invoice is true but the OTHER invoice is FAKE, never existed)

So SOMEONE copied the TOP of the real invoice and used it to produce a fake invoice (but forgot to change the "invoice number").

I don't want to be an ass... but I doubt a 65 year old retired doctor produced a fake invoice to sell you the car. SO that means only one thing................

Synth19 and myw... yes I understand that IF the tb/wp was actually replaced in 2008, I was due to get the work done NEXT YEAR "anyways"... but the falsified document means that THEY HAVEN'T BEEN REPLACED, SO IT'S WAY OVERDUE... which means Chris was driving around AT RISK for the 4 months HE owned the car, and I'm PRESENTLY driving around AT RISK... and I WOULD HAVE been driving around for the next several months AT RISK. So the fact that I "needed to get the work done next year anyways" doesn't excuse the forging of documents. I am right now driving my car at risk (and had I not figured this whole thing out, I could have fu<ked up my car).

Also Synth19 and Chris... I know Chris didn't own the car in 2008, but that means nothing. I don't think you're understanding what happened here....
Someone cut-off the TOP PORTION of a legit Crown Acura invoice that was dated 2008 (from an oil change) and used that TOP PORTION and taped it to the BOTTOM PORTION of a real nsx tb/wp replacement job FROM A DIFFERENT SHOP (the TOP of the invoice is Crown Acura but the BOTTOM of the invoice is from some other shop).... and they did this to MAKE IT LOOK LIKE it was replaced in 2008 at Crown Acura. All I'm saying is that Chris probably has a real invoice from a tb/wp replacement laying around his house, that he could have used the bottom portion (in the pic above) and just taped a Crown Acura heading at the top. Facts are facts... possibilities are possibilities... I'm not saying anything FOR CERTAIN.
Chris, I never blamed you, I actually specifically never said any names in this thread above because I don't KNOW who forged the document.... all that the facts say is someone who owned the car before me forged the document. (I actually don't think it was cool of that person above to use your name)

So it "could have" been Chris... or the guy that owned it before him. That's all I know. Chris plead his case above and that's great, good for him. I tried to keep his name silent because I have NO PROOF if he did it or not (but he could have). He was cool and nice throughout the whole process. But our process was "a little shady" too, see my next post below.... (I have to go copy/paste it from an email)

...maybe...but we have debated the Tb longevity issue..and most belts that have been inspected even after 10 years show no visible signs of imminent failure,there are many threads about this.

My email to you said SOMEBODY faked the invoice... then yes, I did say that I was leaning less towards a 65 year old retired doctor. But I'm saying for all to hear right now that I have no idea WHO did this. But someone did.

Here is MY "weird" experience purchasing the car:

Gordon Alexander bought the car in VA at Crown Acura in 2005 (the dealership has the invoices for that). He used that dealership for a few repairs between 2005 and 2008... Crown Acura does confirm that, because they remember him and his car, and they have the invoices (but they know for certain they never did a tb/wp replacement… although I have an invoice that says they did???).

Then Gordon Alexander sold it to Chris in like Feb this year..... BUT Chris NEVER registered it in his own name because he didn't want to pay taxes for that purchase, and then pay taxes again when he sold it to me. I guess he or his dad has a dealer license or something, so he drove around with temp registrations. He only had it for 3 months. I bought it in May. When I met Chris, he gave me the free and clear title which had Gordon Alexander's name and signature on it, and a blank Bill Of Sale filled out by Gordon Alexander with his name and signature, but the "buyer's" name was left blank and the "for sale amount" was left blank and the "date" was left blank.... so I could fill in MY info and record the sale. So I guess Chris paid cash and took the car and title and Bill of Sale but NEVER put it in his name… so TECHNICALLY I bought the car from Gordon Alexander??? For all I know I could have bought a stolen car LOL!! But that was not of my concern... I checked with my title transfer lady before making this purchase and she said as long as I have a signed title and signed bill of sale, she can register it in my name legally.

In addition to that... If you'd like me to state it again:

I WOULD NEVER, I MEAN EVER DRIVE A 1996 ACURA NSX THAT HAS NOT HAD THE TIMING BELT/WATERPUMP DONE AND RISK BLOWING A MOTOR. SORRY, BUT I'VE BEEN THROUGH THAT BEFORE AND WOULD NEVER EVER TAKE THAT CHANCE.

Also, Where the HELL would I get a tb/wp receipt? There are two people who have EVER worked on my car. Larry B, and Harry the local PRIVATE guy who fixed my entire engine (who also knows PbassJo extremely well). He is not a shop, he has never even given me a receipt!!!!! He runs a Snap on Tool business. So where the FK would I get a 1997+ NSX receipt for a timing belt/water pump job????????????????????????????

You come on here and drag my name through the mud that I took advantage of you or screwed you. You're very quick to forget I sold you a car I didn't want to sell, drove you all around that day and went out of my way every way possible to help you.

Mind you.... PghMiller is the SAME member who tracked down my post in the "Random NSX Thread" and found a post from April Fools Day where I posted a pic of the 1996 Berlina Black with my Lime green car years ago when it was championship white.... and ASKED IF I CONVERTED THE CAR TO 2005, PAINTED IT CHAMPIONSHIP WHITE, THEN REPAINTED THE CAR BERLINA BLACK, UNCONVERTED IT BACK TO 1996 AND SOLD IT TO HIM??????? ARE YOU THAT FRKN GULLIBLE.

This is completely ridiculous!!!!! I never ever screwed anyone over. On top of it, this car was never even listed or sold on NSXPRIME. The buyer emailed me having interest in my car and pursued me. So now my name gets drug through the mud for someone giving me a bullshit receipt when I purchased.

Mind you.... PghMiller is the SAME member who tracked down my post in the "Random NSX Thread" and found a post from April Fools Day where I posted a pic of the 1996 Berlina Black with my Lime green car years ago when it was championship white.... and ASKED IF I CONVERTED THE CAR TO 2005, PAINTED IT CHAMPIONSHIP WHITE, THEN REPAINTED THE CAR BERLINA BLACK, UNCONVERTED IT BACK TO 1996 AND SOLD IT TO HIM??????? ARE YOU THAT FRKN GULLIBLE.

That was a simple joke bud. And I didn't track anything down... I like looking at pics so I've clicked through every page of that picture thread, and a few other picture threads, because I enjoy looking at pics. Came across that pic... made a joke... no big deal. You're trying to use that simple post as evidence that I'm not trustworthy??

AGAIN, my intensions were to leave names out of it (until further information). Some other user mentioned your first name, then you chimed in. I was just sharing my buying experience in a discussion form, that's why it's here.

ANYONE can take a Crown Acura invoice and fill-in the receipt with false information. Someone did.

Synth19 and myw... yes I understand that IF the tb/wp was actually replaced in 2008, I was due to get the work done NEXT YEAR "anyways"... but the falsified document means that THEY HAVEN'T BEEN REPLACED, SO IT'S WAY OVERDUE... which means Chris was driving around AT RISK for the 4 months HE owned the car, and I'm PRESENTLY driving around AT RISK... and I WOULD HAVE been driving around for the next several months AT RISK. So the fact that I "needed to get the work done next year anyways" doesn't excuse the forging of documents. I am right now driving my car at risk (and had I not figured this whole thing out, I could have fu<ked up="" my="" car).

You need to take a deep breath and relax. We all understand that the receipt was falsified and that you were driving around "AT RISK!". There is nothing you can do about it now. Just be glad that he belt did not fail, as your situation could be much worse.</ked>

I am sorry about your situation and fortunately you caught it before anything serious happen. I had a similar situation where the previous owner had a real dealer invoice showing major services with valve adjustment, and I was told by my mechanic that the valve covers had never been removed when I did the time belt at a later time.

I have heard many dishonest stories about paid services that were not performed from dealers, Indy shops/mechanics. You just have to be careful and find someone trustworthy to do the work.

I was given a few invoices, they were all from the same Acura Dealership. I called to "chat" with the mechanics before I bought the car, but all of the invoices were from 2006 through 2008 so the guys didn't remember much specifically, but our chat went well, they remember working on the car and remember the car to be very nice with no noticeable issues... very clean, OEM. This was 4 months ago.

I bought the car (4 months ago) and now I'm thinking about heading to Daisy Auto to have Ben check out a few things (going to be in that state anyways so figured I'd stop by). He told me to bring all my service records, but all I have are 4 invoices from this dealership from 5 years ago. So he said I should call them to get ALL records faxed to me, so I did.

I called the dealership and while talking to the service manager I MENTIONED the invoice for the tb/wp, and he said he doesn't see that in their system. I gave him the invoice number and he said "that's the invoice number for the OTHER work that was done, oil change, detail, etc etc"!!! So someone used the top portion of an invoice and ALTERED the "work that was completed" section.

I emailed the invoice to the dealership and the manager immediately noticed that it was fake because all the typing in the "work completed" section was not the FONT they use and not even the FORMAT they use.

The dealership is 100% sure they never changed the tb/wp.

No, you emailed me because you saw my "want" ad. You asked for my number so I gave it to you, then you called me.

Stop crying about someone dragging your name through the mud... I don't know how many times I have to say it, but I have NO IDEA WHO faked the invoice. I am just discussing my experiences on this forum because that is why it's here, isn't it? Yes, it's unfortunate for you that you were involved in a transaction that also involved a fake invoice. So you are in some way tied to this entire situation, unfortunately. This whole thing sucks for all of us... but it sucks for ME most of all, wouldn't you say.

This is completely ridiculous!!!!! I never ever screwed anyone over. On top of it, this car was never even listed or sold on NSXPRIME. The buyer emailed me having interest in my car and pursued me. So now my name gets drug through the mud for someone giving me a bullshit receipt when I purchased.

So I'm confused here. The car is a 96 right? When the car was inspected and had the timing belt/wp bren actually changed, the timing belt cover should be the updated one. You can no longer buy the original 91-96 water pump part number since the it was discontinued.

Don't know what happen to my original post but here I go again

I'm a little confused. The car is a 96 right? If the timing Belt/wp had been actually changed, the person who inspected the car should have been able to verify that. The timing belt cover was changed because the 91-96 water pump was discontinued. The water pump part number was updated to the current 97+ and all 91-96 used it but with an updated timing belt cover.

So when it was inspected did they mechanic mention this?

I'm a little confused. The car is a 96 right? If the timing Belt/wp had been actually changed, the person who inspected the car should have been able to verify that. The timing belt cover was changed because the 91-96 water pump was discontinued. The water pump part number was updated to the current 97+ and all 91-96 used it but with an updated timing belt cover.

Now that is a great question. Both DCH HART Acura 1271 Rte 9, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590 Phone:(845) 298-0400 and our own Larry B did a PPI on the car including having it fully up on a lift???

Maybe it's just me, but my own personal timing belt failed in 2006 when my car was only 11 years old (after the owner of my 95' said it was done when it wasn't)... I seemed to believe this previous seller when he told me it was done on the Black 96' and provided me with the receipt I passed along.

Now it's possibly this is the original timing belt... that is 17 years old?

My original response seems to have been lost also but I said the exact same thing. After purchasing all 3 of my NSX's out of state I took them to Ramon @ Niguel Motors who put the cars on the lift and just by looking at them could tell me unequivocally if they had TB/WP done previously. Who did your PPI ? I think they have some culpability in this nightmare as well. Just a side note. You bought this car and probably had contact VOICE info on the seller. Why didn't you contact him directly before posting here ?

Back