Electric Engine Conversion

Had to bring this one back in light of recent developments.

I can't believe this guy got so much grief. Really. I have seen all kinds of cars converted to electric, many of which were much worse candidates than an NSX. All the criticism probably drove him off this board. What electric car conversions basically are, are using a standard car's body on a totally different drivetrain. The NSX has a lightweight, mid engine body which is very good for such a project. As car enthusiasts I don't think we should be making fun of another enthusiast's ideas. It's all modding work, it is engineering work, it is viable as many other things we do. Even in racing, a car that is more efficient and doesn't need to pit for refueling as often can have advantages. Hybrids are coming from Ferrari and Porsches most advanced car is using electric hybrid technology. New NSX of course. So perhaps this guy wasn't as silly as so many made him out to be.

FWIW a few nights ago a tesla roadster and a Mercedes SLK55 AMG went at it in front of me at the light. I was not in the NSX. The tesla launched perfectly and continued to out accelerate the SLK55, and killed it to the next light. And it was weird because it did it in total silence. It was cool to see such a race on a late night.

wow what an old thread way before my time but interesting

a few years ago I saw a guy had converted a 2004 Acura TL to electric

I cant seem to find it again but I will keep looking

but to convert an NSX to electric would be like

pissing a pastor during his sermon

if it can be done then more power to you.

It can be done. I haven't drawn up any plans to do it to a NSX, as the donor car would be very expensive, but it can be done. It isn't THAT much different than doing it to a Karmann-Ghia, 914, 912 or 356 (replica). All mid or rear motor (not engine) location. All easily converted to electric.

Hmmm.....maybe I should start looking into this......if I could get the car cheaply enough. Didn't I see a body for sale? Then I'd need a chassis.....

...but to convert an NSX to electric would be like pissing a pastor during his sermon...

Nah, 100% torque from go.....I wonder if I could do it inexpensively enough...get the balance right...and have better acceleration than the ICE car. 2 and 3 are no-brainers....it is #1...the cost factor.....that might make it not worth while.

It's not cost effective at all, you certainly won't be improving on the existing car's overall performance, all it would be is a science experiment but those are sometimes very worthwhile and cool.

Unfortunately electrics and hybrids tend to bring out emotions in people because they tie it to environmental or political reasons and they are on one side or the other. But from a technical standpoint, an electric motor is simply another type of propulsion. People make jet powered cars, do motor swaps, etc. This isn't any different. Personally I am always interested in things like this and see good engineering work as neat. No matter what. I'd be the last to poop someone's vision or imagination when they want to do something radically different if they have the capability and will. If a guy can build a lamborghini out of wood in his basement, a jet powred MR2 or make an electric NSX, more power to them. These guys are usually cool and intriguing people.

FYI guys.... the ultimate sports car would have four electric motors (one in each wheel) and could blow away any "high performance" sports car made now.
I'd miss the sound of a V-12 or healthy V-8, but the performance (acceleration and handling) would be well worth it.
Think about it (four 300hp pancake motors for example).

Last edited:
I brought this thread back because I found it after doing a search. I said long ago that my dream garage is two NSX, one stock and one converted to an EV.

Looks like now it will never be affordable since the prices have bottomed out and are trending up, but still fun to think about.

Close attention to battery distribution to retain the legendary balance of the NSX would be key.

And of course, the next NSX is a hybrid, which makes all the harassment this guy got look pretty silly.

You never know. Someday you could come across an NSX rolling chassis for cheap.

Battery, motor, controller options have opened up since this topic was created.

Sure, if an electric sports car appeals to you then an NSX would be an awesome platform to start from. A friend of mine in Arcata Ca. (about 6 miles from me) converted a 94? civic 2 door squareback? to electric, wasnt that difficult because a lot of parts are available. He loves it. No more gas stations. You have to understand they are very into all things green in Arcata, and obviously elsewhere too.

So, for some reason my PVR recorded an episode of Hard Part: South Bronx over the weekend and believe it or not, one of the sub-stories was about a guy who converted a DeLorean to electric. I think he even created a fake flux capacitor because so many people were asking him where it was.
http://bcove.me/55t8rrcl

99% of the DIY electric conversions I've seen have put no thought into safety if they ever had an accident :eek:

I mean, most people don't even tie the batteries down, let alone have a robust battery tray or use an accelerometer-based contact cutoff.

Just because you can doesn't mean a lot of hacks should....

That being said, I'm all for electric cars if they're engineered correctly.

Dave

99% of the DIY electric conversions I've seen have put no thought into safety if they ever had an accident :eek:

I mean, most people don't even tie the batteries down...

Dave you can say that about a lot of mods done by a lot of people...

Back