Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan !!!!!

Magnitude 8.9 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

2011 March 11 05:46:23 UTC

Versión en Español
Earthquake Details

• This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.
<TABLE id=parameters summary="Earthquake Details"><TBODY><TR><TH>Magnitude</TH><TD>8.9</TD></TR><TR><TH>Date-Time</TH><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Location</TH><TD>38.322°N, 142.369°E</TD></TR><TR><TH>Depth</TH><TD>24.4 km (15.2 miles) set by location program</TD></TR><TR><TH>Region</TH><TD>NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN</TD></TR><TR><TH>Distances</TH><TD>130 km (80 miles) E of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
178 km (110 miles) E of Yamagata, Honshu, Japan
178 km (110 miles) ENE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
373 km (231 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Location Uncertainty</TH><TD>horizontal +/- 13.5 km (8.4 miles); depth fixed by location program</TD></TR><TR><TH>Parameters</TH><TD>NST=350, Nph=351, Dmin=416.3 km, Rmss=1.46 sec, Gp= 29°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=A</TD></TR><TR><TH>Source</TH><TD>
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
</TD></TR><TR><TH>Event ID</TH><TD>usc0001xgp</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its horrible. I cant believe what I'm seeing. The Tsunami is massive and destroying everything in its path. And I cant believe the size and number of the after shocks. A complete disaster.

My prayers to everyone in Japan affected by this and for those areas that are about to be hit by the coming Tsunami.

I heard the first wave should hit Hawaii about 2:30amHhawaii time

Nice find on the solar flair info. I saw some one comment on it but couldn't find a link.

This is crazy news this morning here, and another one I missed posting:

"AURORAS INVADE THE USA: Earth's magnetic field is still reverberating from a CME strike on March 10th. During the past 24 hours..."

http://spaceweather.com/

x1_anim.gif

Last edited:
I cant believe the amount of very large after shocks that have occurred.

140_35.gif

Attachments

• 140_35.gif
    140_35.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Northeastern Japan this morning.

What a tragedy, my prayers are with them.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2011/03/11/sot.tsunami.hit.japan.cnn.html

Video footage of tsunami is unreal. Looks almost like a CG disaster movie. :eek:

I have family and close friends in Tokyo. Spoke to brother in law a few mins ago. He's been stuck in traffic for over 2 hrs and have moved only a 1 km. People are abandoning their vehicles and walking home on all available roads. Unreal. Father in law is walking home 25 kms from his office to their house.

Last edited:
Our thoughts are with Japan. My wife and I have been there a couple of times and love the nation of Japan.

I was in Japan in the fall of 2000 when an earthquake hit. (6.9 for 40 sec) The country is well prepared for earth quakes, saftey is never compromised, but this is the worst ever.
I do know that the Japanese are a resiliant nation and this will eventually make them stronger. They will however need the world's help.

So, when is live television actually live? over and over again, CNN is reporting "live coverage". The "live" shots are in daylight. It is just about 2am and dark in Japan. CNN?? pure drama. It is good to get news as it happens, but please don't sensationalize it. This situation is more than bad enough for Japan.

Last edited:
Wow...I can't believe some of the video I'm seeing.

Praying for Japan and especially for the the new friends met during NSX Fiesta.

Back