Dunlop Z1 on Closeout at Tirerack. Because.....

Nice!! this is awesome!

Just placed an order, and -

Tire Rack salesman

Grant X-4735 at 800-428-8355

advised they were getting pretty low on the 255/40ZR17 (OEM rear size for 2002 and newer NSX) tires. So get 'em now!

Thanks Jim for the heads-up on the closeout of Z1's.

I dunno

How are the Z2s better? Have there been any comparison tests?

I'm not good at translating (from CL65/Jim's link as above)....
Got to figure the newly released tire will be more $$$, possibly in short supply upon release (no date, specs, pricing yet announced per salesman Grant), and no release date... and as they are not compatible with the Sport Z1 I am trying to time/wear out all of my Z1's at somewhat the same time.

It explains some of the benefits on the web page in the different tabs...

Thanks for the warning, I knew this was going to happen one day. I just stocked up on fronts and rears which should last me ten years. :D

I hope they clear the Z1's out for cheap like they did with the potenza's when they got the new RE-11

Last edited:
What's the savings? I am pretty sure that is close to what I paid from discount tires direct a while back. I am not sure this is really worth it.

I don't see any savings.

I've had better luck on ebay with regards to buying discounted tires.

R888 I've found them for half the price for my truck.

I'll search out deals on the bay and stock up too since it's pretty much a new rear set every oil change with the NSX.

I think I got the last pair of 255/35/18 from tire rack.

My current tire just developed a "hop" I couldn't even go over 50mph on the way home. :(
So now I'm in the market for a new set of tires.

265-35-18 and 215-40-17.

I really know very little about tires and the web is confusing. I searched everything from tire rack to costco. I want tires that are maximum summer perfomance with reasonable wear.
I don't track but since Sebring is only 60 miles away, It's not out of the question. So Dunlop Z1's. 2's? Faulken, Michelin? Yoko?

Thanks for the help.

265-35-18 and 215-40-17.

I really know very little about tires and the web is confusing. I searched everything from tire rack to costco. I want tires that are maximum summer perfomance with reasonable wear.
I don't track but since Sebring is only 60 miles away, It's not out of the question. So Dunlop Z1's. 2's? Faulken, Michelin? Yoko?
Those are good sizes to use on your '93. And if you've never tracked, it's not a consideration, even if you want to try doing your first couple of events with whatever you get.

The big question is whether you're willing to trade off a little more grip for a little more treadlife. For the most grip, you'll want one of the "extreme performance summer tires". These are available in those sizes:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (being discontinued)
Dunlop Direzza ZII (its replacement)
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08
Falken Azenis RT-615K

All of these are very good, and you can't go wrong with any of them. (I'm eager to hear more about the new ZII, and if it's truly better than the Star Spec, that's a real accomplishment! But note that they won't be in stock at Tire Rack for another month, in either size, so if you need them right away, they're not a candidate.)

For somewhat better treadlife, and somewhat less grip, you could get:

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

Personally, for a highly-modified car like yours, I'd go for the stickiest tires I could get rather than worry about treadlife - after all, why do the powertrain mods if you're not going to get the tires best able to put the power to the ground - but that's the trade-off, it's up to you to decide which way to go.

Last edited:
I'll chime and say that the AD08 is more expensive than the Z1/ZII and more or less the same grip. Not worth the extra $. I have driven all the extreme tires on Ken's list. The new ZII is the same price (at least for my sizes 215/40/17 & 255/40/17) as the older Z1 - no discount for the "closeout" so I would get the ZII instead. Although the front size won't be in until March. The Falken 615 sucks in the wet - bad.

I would recommend the ZII for ultimate grip. But honestly, if 90% of your time is on the street, especially in Florida where everything is flat and straight, I would go with the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport. I have never driven this tire, find someone who has. But it is considerably cheaper than the others, better tread wear and probably more grip than you would ever use on the street and would probably be OK for a novice on the track.

Edit: I just saw you are turbo - go with the ZII. You will need the rear grip. :)

Last edited:
Tire Rack's review:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=http://www.youtube.com/embed/xgzR0ZpW_rw frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back