Dunlop Z1 on Closeout at Tirerack. Because.....

Good advice, Jim. Just a few quick notes...

The Tire Rack is showing the same March 8 arrival date for the rear 265/35-18 size.

I know that was true of its RT-615 predecessor, but is that still true of the RT-615K?

I have only run the 615 not the K. But my understanding is it is the same tire but slightly different compound (old ones would get real hot and greasy on the track - more of an autocross tire than road course). The tread pattern looks identical.

Here are the latest Consumer Reports rankings for UHP Summer

Michelin Piolot Super Sport
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT
Michelin Polot Sport PS2
Continental Expremen Contact DW
Hankook Ventus V12 evo
Pirelli P Zero
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
BF Goodrick g-Force T/A KDW
Kumho Ecsta SPT
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position
Nitto NT 05
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Yokohama Advan Sport
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport
Sumitomo HTR ZIII
Maxxis Victra MA-Z1
Nitto iNVO
Falken FK-451
Fuzion Zri
yokohama S.drive

I would be interested in a comparison of the Dunlop Direzzas versus the Toyo R 888s?
I track my turbo NSX and noticed that the R888s tend to "roll over" on their outer side!
The result is a pronounced wear mark about 5 to 6 cm wide front and rear.
Different tire pressures didn't help.
I had experienced the same with my Yokohama slicks but was hoping that the R 888 would not require using more camber...
The car is setup with 2°30" camber at the rear and 2°15" camber at the front.
Tire sizes are 230/40*17 front and 265/35*18 rear.
Do the Direzza's need more camber than this?
Any signs of uneven wear after a track outing?
How does the grip compare?
A couple of years ago, I had tried some Pirello P Zero Corsa's at the rear and the result was outstanding: good grip and even wear!
Unfortunately those tires no longer exist in our dimensions?
The bad news is that I believe you can't get the Direzza's in Europe?

Last edited:
I would be interested in a comparison of the Dunlop Direzzas versus the Toyo R 888s?
The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and the Dunlop Direzza ZII are both street tires. The Toyo R-888 is an R compound track tire. As is always true when comparing street tires with track tires, the R-888 offers much higher ultimate grip, but needs to be warmed up to achieve that grip, which is only likely with a hot lap on the racetrack, not on the street. The Star Spec and ZII will both last longer and grip better on wet pavement and in colder temperatures. R compound tires are also usually more expensive. For all these reasons, it's best to get street tires if you plan to use the tires on the street (possibly with an occasional track event thrown in), and R comp track tires if you plan to use the tires mostly on the track (and to and from).

I understand all that.
The R 888 at least in France is a road legal tire and doesn't need any noticeable warm up time ( above freezing temperature)
The question is: does the Direzza need as much camber ( -3°) as the R 888 on the track?
How does it perform after 10 hot laps?
I'm looking for the equivalent of a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire like the Porsches use on the track!
http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/michelin-pilot-sport-cup
The issue as usual is to find a suitable front tire size as I don't believe you can get a 18" wheel with a 40 profile to clear the front wheel arches?

I understand all that.
The R 888 at least in France is a road legal tire and doesn't need any noticeable warm up time ( above freezing temperature)
The question is: does the Direzza need as much camber ( -3°) as the R 888 on the track?
How does it perform after 10 hot laps?
I'm looking for the equivalent of a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tire like the Porsches use on the track!
http://www.michelin.fr/pneus/michelin-pilot-sport-cup
The issue as usual is to find a suitable front tire size as I don't believe you can get a 18" wheel with a 40 profile to clear the front wheel arches?

The R888 is also Dept of Transportation (DOT) street legal here.

The Z1 and ZII do not need as much camber as a R Comp. I'm running 2.0 front 2.5 in the rear. Most R Comps (R888, RA1, NT01, Hoosier R6, etc, etc like A LOT of camber - 2.5 deg to 3 deg).

The ZII just came out, but I have many track miles on the Z1 and it was just fine at the end of 20 min sessions even during hot summer days.

The Pilot Sport Cup is considered an R Comp, sucks in the wet and wears like a semi-slick (Hoosier R6, Toyo's new RR, Hankook Z214, etc). These are all basically street legal race slicks.

If you don't like the R888 try the Nitto NT01. I preferred that over the R888 and it is cheaper. But it's still a R-Comp with 100 tread ware rating. The ZII is 200. The Pilot Sport Cup is 80.

But to answer your original question - the Dunlop ZII is not a true track tire, it's an extreme street tire. A compromise. Like I said, look at the NT01.

Last edited:
That's true, but I thought you said your front wheels are 17".

He did. :smile:

Tire sizes are 230/40*17 front and 265/35*18 rear.

Oh... I think he is referring to the smallest Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is a 225/40/18. With a diameter of 25.1" vs 24.6" of a 235/40/17. Yep, great tire. Expensive as hell. Crappy sizes available.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Grant from tire rack. He ordered me a set of Dunlop Z2's in 265-35-18 and 215-40-17. They were $945.00 shipped and should be
at my door by March 12th. Great guy and he can be reached at X-4735 at 800-428-8355. And they don't charge your card until they ship.

This will give me time to remove my old tires, clean and polish the wheels, powerwash the underbody(not that it needs it)
oil change, full paint correction detail and I might upgrade my oem rotors to a set of stoptech or brembo's.

Did anyone else notice that the "Closeout" price of some of the Starspec Z1 is HIGHER than the standard price of the ZII??

Example is a 265/35/18.
Closeout Z1 is $313 each
Z2 standard price is $277

:rolleyes:

I'll chime and say that the AD08 is more expensive than the Z1/ZII and more or less the same grip. Not worth the extra $.

IIRC the AD08 is lighter which does make a difference though not necessarily in grip levels.

I just got off the phone with Grant from tire rack. He ordered me a set of Dunlop Z2's in 265-35-18 and 215-40-17. They were $945.00 shipped and should be
at my door by March 12th. Great guy and he can be reached at X-4735 at 800-428-8355. And they don't charge your card until they ship.

This will give me time to remove my old tires, clean and polish the wheels, powerwash the underbody(not that it needs it)
oil change, full paint correction detail and I might upgrade my oem rotors to a set of stoptech or brembo's.
I had the Z1's on my car and loved them. Im running a 275 in back. I also ran them on my S2000 but switched to the Hankook Rs3 which is slightly stickier but they dont make a 215 for up front ;)

IIRC the AD08 is lighter which does make a difference though not necessarily in grip levels.

Not just that, it rides better, it has less noise. I just switched to AD08 from the Z1. And with only a bit of driving, it feels like a superior tire. The ZII is the newest, but is it better than the AD08? We don't know. Also, the AD08 has come down in price. A set of 4 in the 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 is now only $50 more than the dunlops.

Last edited:
The R888 is also Dept of Transportation (DOT) street legal here.

The Z1 and ZII do not need as much camber as a R Comp. I'm running 2.0 front 2.5 in the rear. Most R Comps (R888, RA1, NT01, Hoosier R6, etc, etc like A LOT of camber - 2.5 deg to 3 deg).

The ZII just came out, but I have many track miles on the Z1 and it was just fine at the end of 20 min sessions even during hot summer days.

The Pilot Sport Cup is considered an R Comp, sucks in the wet and wears like a semi-slick (Hoosier R6, Toyo's new RR, Hankook Z214, etc). These are all basically street legal race slicks.

If you don't like the R888 try the Nitto NT01. I preferred that over the R888 and it is cheaper. But it's still a R-Comp with 100 tread ware rating. The ZII is 200. The Pilot Sport Cup is 80.

But to answer your original question - the Dunlop ZII is not a true track tire, it's an extreme street tire. A compromise. Like I said, look at the NT01.

Thanks CL65 that's the information I was looking for.
As far as I know, Nitto and Toyo are two different brand names from the same company?
Nitto's are not available in France...
In the end, I'll go for -3° camber front and rear with my R 888 and see how that goes.
The good news is that I'll be able to use my slicks with the same setting:smile:

Last edited:
Not just that, it rides better, it has less noise. I just switched to AD08 from the Z1. And with only a bit of driving, it feels like a superior tire. The ZII is the newest, but is it better than the AD08? We don't know. Also, the AD08 has come down in price. A set of 4 in the 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 is now only $50 more than the dunlops.

Plus if you have Yokohama Advans you might as well have Yokohama AD08s right? ;)

Back