Driving NSX To Work... Should I?

the first time I took my NSX to work, my boss saw the car and I tossed him the keys so he can test drive it...now, his cars are 5X more than my NSX, but now he wants me to bring it in to work everytime I do mods to it..like wheels/ etc...

I work in IT as well (and the BOTTOM/ENTRY LEVEL IT position too)..and I do have some co-workers that constantly call me the "BLING" guy (I'm not sure why cuz I've never owned 20" Chromies on spinners in my life:rolleyes: )

Mike

I work for myself as a private tutor, and commute to client's homes, so the question of whether or not to drive the NSX was, and continues to be, on my mind.

I was initially worried that driving the NSX would send the message that "the tutor is getting rich off of me," even though the car is 11 years old. Most of my clients are pretty wealthy, though, and they seem to appreciate my lifestyle and ambition (buying properties, planning for early retirement, etc). They were all on my waiting list for a while, and know that I sacrifice a lot in my personal life, working 7 days/week, and that I have a reputation for getting results, particularly for my SAT students. People seem very ready to accept the tutor pulling up in an NSX, and the kids love my cars. In fact, they get a kick out of trying to predict the car that I'm going to show up in each week, since I'm back up to 7 again:eek: One of my wealthiest clients' wife likes it when the NSX is parked outside her house. Yesterday she coo'ed when I pulled up in it, and said that "I should keep driving it there, so that the neighbors will talk," and laughed. Ironically, this statement shows that the NSX does project an exotic image and appears more costly than the car actually is, especially for an older model like mine.

It also helps that I live in a shore resort area that is a little more laid back than many other places. But the thought still crosses my mind that if one of my students underperforms on the SAT, and the parents reflect on how much money they paid me over the months, that bad feelings may be created, which is a very serious problem, since I work 100% on word of mouth, and personal referrals from previous and current clients.

I think its fairly obvious that each person's work and social environment varies, and that those posts above that oversimplify this question on either the extreme of saying, "screw their opinions, and drive what you want," or "be paranoid and don't even consider driving it to work" are probably not worth paying as much attention to as the more balanced perspectives given.

I finally concluded that I purchased this car to drive and enjoy, and that I'd take it on any nice, sunny days, unless I see the car creating any ill-consequences. Of course, I also have the advantage that every 4-6 months, I've generally turned over most of my clientelle, and have a fresh start with new people, which is a unique side to my line of work. So any negative consequences would be easily containable, and relatively short lived, compared to a normal office scenario.

When I worked at Wendy's back in highschool, I drove my Mercedes to work. I guess it went over well, but I caused a huge amount of commotion that lasted the entire day. No one realized that it was an older 190E, they just saw the new paint and shiny rims. :biggrin:

Even if you draw some attention, it won't necessarily be bad.

RyRy210 said:
I'm the boss and my employees drive better cars than I do, which is great. I can't help but think I had a lot to do with that. They respect me and think I'm a down to earth guy, and they work hard for me. Do I care what they drive? Nope, but there people out there that do care.

Well put dude, I'm in the exact same boat as stated in my post. As long as the initial poster isnt the example I gave in my addition to this thread, there is nothing much more to say. Because if this guy is working at a drive thru, there are larger issues he needs to be saved from! Happy Motoring!

e

As a quick follow up, I'm more worried about showing up on a first date in the NSX, and by the motives of chicks (gold-digging variety) that come on to me, seeing and knowing that I'm in what appears to be a very expensive exotic car.:tongue:

Wait, what am I talking about, I LOVE having this problem! :biggrin: :cool:

Its undeniable that the car you drive can send a very LOUD message to the world. In the spirit of one of the users on here, I'm contemplating picking up my dates for our first date in my '94 Saturn. Then in my pick-up truck for the 2nd, then the Subaru Outback, then one of the WRXs, then maybe in the NSX by the 5th date:lol: The experimenting has already begun, hehe.

TURBO2GO said:
May I ask what you do?

OK, last post.:rolleyes: I build servers, maintain a few in-house data centers, oversee our network operation center and lurk the interweb till my eyes are shot.

In my spare time I play competetive football, build low budget competitive steet cars(we'll be at the Redline event at Beaverun May 13-14th) and enjoy long naked walks on the beach(it's hard to miss me).:eek: :biggrin:

Nihilation said:
OK, last post.:rolleyes: I build servers, maintain a few in-house data centers, oversee our network operation center and lurk the interweb till my eyes are shot.

In my spare time I play competetive football, build low budget competitive steet cars(we'll be at the Redline event at Beaverun May 13-14th) and enjoy long naked walks on the beach(it's hard to miss me).:eek: :biggrin:

OK man, I think your work environment might be totally different than the OP and your boss may be a totally different person.

All the guys here are stating their opinion based on their experiences. Don't assume someone is pompous or shallow when you don't know their exact experience or work environment.

My last car cost over $150,000. Most of my employees drive cars that are $20,000. My being able to afford that car came from various other investments having nothing to do with our company. But if I drive that to work, the assumption is that I am taking all the money (which is far from the truth). So I can't walk around and say "I'll just be myself" when in order to be considerate to their feelings, it is not right for me to drive that car to work.

People who tend to get ahead in business are people who understand the subtleties of other's feelings and deal with them in a certain manner. The OP's car may not be an Enzo, but the car is one that gives the impression of an expensive car. Furthermore, that car can still be "a lot of money" if the others are a bunch of hourly employees for example. So you see everyone's environment is different and has to be judged on an individual basis.

Lots of great answers in this thread.

In the end, it all comes down to personal comfort and preference.

My boss knows exactly how much money I make, he is no fool.

However, I do NOT drive my NSX to work.

Why? Because it *could* cause jealousy from some of the other workers.

In my field of work, why make it complex? I prefer not to stand out that way so I drive my daily POS to work and no one says a thing.

I enjoy my NSX on my own private time. That's just me though.

There is NO right or wrong answer here. Go with your gut.

As much as I would like to say " ignore the haters", People DO treat you differently when they see you in that car. Wrong or right? who knows? not my place to judge that, but it does happen.

If your co-workers or higher ups are asses who have esteem issues, I would say think twice about it.

Very good read. I am starting a new job in a few weeks and can maybe afford an older NSX as well while I wait to see what happens with housing in Southern California. I became an engineer because of this car. I have been told by my boss at my first job I should have fun now with my money while saving because its different when I am older. He has always owned Porsches and is really cool about cars. He even let me drive his when he took me out to eat at the beach. So he was definately fine with whatever people drove.

Now my current employer I don't think anyone really cares. We were just talking about who drove the most expensive cars at the office. I think the most expensive was either a normal worker with a new Lexus GS300 or one of the bosses who has an Audi S4 I think. This is a company of about 70 with some extremely large money coming in and I think the bosses have their money tied up into big real estate investments. So I figured if I got enough of a raise I could afford to drive one in and that wouldn't affect any pay.

The new job I am going to has a small parking lot right next to the building. i felt like I am close to maxing out my hourly rate for my experience/age/credentials. So now I am also unsure if I got a nice car like this if it could be taken the wrong way. I think for me the best is to find the guys/girls in the office who are into cars and get a feel of what they think.

My current project manager says how if he didnt have kids he could have 2 ferraris. Then he calls each child ferrari 1 and ferrari 2. So I do think it makes a difference how people react to this stuff and everywhere will be different. If you dont make enough to afford the car, I would just figure the boss is laughing to himself about spending beyond your means. Otherwise if you work hard or do good work why not treat yourself to something you like.

For me, I am unsure if I trade my RSX Type-s for a Porsche Cayman or have an older used NSX as a 2nd car.

In reviving an old thread - I realized something tonight. And it's the kind of thing that makes us NSX owners proud.

I was on a flight with a senior partner at my firm and the subject of my car came up. He didn't know I had an NSX, and I had no idea he knew anything about nice cars. He immediately launches into a speach about how the NSX is "such a great car, such a fantastic car" (you know, the kind of thing only owners and a few non-owners truly recognize...not the everyday gibberish Car & Driver spits out). He even said he was about to get one, at some time in the past, but ultimately went for a 911. (I didn't chastise him for this decision :wink: ).

Anyway, the moral of the story: NSX is more likely a work downside, but could (if the bossman is "in the know") be a potential upside too. My stock rose a little today - party at my place. :biggrin:

Ski_Banker said:
In reviving an old thread - I realized something tonight. And it's the kind of thing that makes us NSX owners proud.

I was on a flight with a senior partner at my firm and the subject of my car came up. He didn't know I had an NSX, and I had no idea he knew anything about nice cars. He immediately launches into a speach about how the NSX is "such a great car, such a fantastic car" (you know, the kind of thing only owners and a few non-owners truly recognize...not the everyday gibberish Car & Driver spits out). He even said he was about to get one, at some time in the past, but ultimately went for a 911. (I didn't chastise him for this decision :wink: ).

Anyway, the moral of the story: NSX is more likely a work downside, but could (if the bossman is "in the know") be a potential upside too. My stock rose a little today - party at my place. :biggrin:
Soundz as if you have quite a wise mentor ;) So, wait, where'z the party?? Man, I miss Florida !*~*~!!!
Many Wishes, Andrew *~*~

I've only had my car for three weeks now and have driven it to work about 7 times. On one occasion the Office Manager, who is the highest ranking officer of the Los Angeles and Irvine, CA offices for my company (about 150 people), asked me to join him on a client visit without advanced notice. It happened to be one of the days I drove my car to work. When we were leaving the client’s office, I tried to stall going to my car so that the Office Manager did not see me with my NSX. Well, my NSX and the office Manager’s Toyota Camry were the only cars left in the visitor’s parking lot. So, he quickly determined that the NSX was mine. However, he asked me if it was a Ferrari. I was a bit embarrassed and told him, no it is an Acura NSX. He was stilled impressed. I also remarked that the company pays me well, but not well enough for me to afford a Ferrari! I work closely with the Office Manager, and so far I have not observed any adverse effects of me having an NSX.

Many people in my office, particularly in my department, knew that I was looking for an NSX because I was talking about NSX’s constantly. Now that I bought one, everyone wants to go for a ride and they all really like the car. My immediate boss drives a Porsche 911 Carrera. Maybe I should challenge him to a race for a pay raise?

Now, as a disclaimer for those who don't know me - I'm 22 yr old senior in college - so I have much less work experience than most of you... so this is just an assumption...

I think the jealousy of people doesn't lie so much in that "that guy makes so much money, I must be underpaid" – but it's probably more of a jealousy based on the fact that your life situation allows you to have fun... while John Doe may be putting 5 kids thru college.

The fact is - almost anyone who has a full-time job with a college degree can afford a $28,000 car (ideally). The average price of a new car sold in 2004 (?) was a little over $29,000 in the USA. That means many people could possibly buy an NSX. It's not a money thing, it's a situation thing.

Many people don't know they can have a used world-class mid-engined exotic sportscar with Honda reliability for less than a loaded up Camry... most who see it see low-wide-sporty, much like a Ferrari. Ferrari carries a stigma. Uneducated people who perceive the 1992 NSX as a 2005 Ferrari will treat you like a 2005 Ferrari owner... meaning someone who drives $250,000 cars. This sometimes has celebrity status, but can also be judged negatively.

I suppose it could be perceived that your priorities are in the wrong area, which could hurt you in getting certain projects or promotions if your bosses are that type of person.

Others who can afford a 3rd car, maybe even a $50,000 third car, simply don't have the balls to go out and get what they want. They live under a conservative, restrained attitude. Not a negative thing at all, whatever works for you - works for you. Sometimes though, when they see someone living their dreams, they can get jealous.

Personally, I'd love to over-exert myself the day I graduate and snag a 95 NSX, but it probably won't happen. One - I'll be a junior designer paying off mountains of student loans. I don't need to piss off a new boss. Two, I need to pay off my loans as fast as possible, because it's good to get rid of that much debt as soon as possible. So, no NSX. It may be my gift to myself when I pay off the debt.

The day I pay off that debt and buy (by then a $40,000 2002+ NSX) my NSX - you better be damned sure I will drive it to work. I will have put in a countless amount of all-nighters to survive an ocean of more priveledged people who didn't have to pay for school. If my bosses don't like the "flashy sportscar", then oh well... it's time for a new job... my student loans will be gone, so it'll be time for my own firm anyhow :D. You spend a third of your adult life asleep, a third at work, and a third in between. The inbetween is the NSX. I'm not gonna sleep then NOT drive my pride&joy to a job that doesn't let me be myself, then go home and have less fun because I didn't get to drive my car. That seems like a shitty life to me.

But that's just me, I can understand some people don't have the luxury to "be a rebel" in your "flashy sportscar." In which case, weekend roadtrips better be plenty to experience that car that I'm still too poor to enjoy.

Thats a tough call. Even though the early year cars don't cost all that much considering today's prices, people sometimes assume that it is very expensive. Depending on the perception of your boss, it could have a negative impact on your next salary increase. The boss might think that you don't need a big raise as you can already afford an expensive car. It seems rediculous, but reality.

The upside to not driving it to work is less door dings in the long run.

Are you kidding me? Your boss tell you not to drive your NSX to work? I would tell him I would be happy to leave it parked inmy garage as soon as the company gives me a daily driver and pays all the expenses.

I drive my NSX to work pretty regularly unless it's raining or snowing. I would have a serious issue with any employer telling you when/where not to drive your car.

I dont drive my NSX very often, but I love driving it to work. I can install new goodies, get it detailed and it helps to drum up business. My boss loves when I drive mine to work. I guess the fact I run an Acura dealership comes into play.

lutera said:
I drive my NSX to work pretty regularly unless it's raining or snowing. I would have a serious issue with any employer telling you when/where not to drive your car.

Same.

If my boss told me not to drive my NSX to work, he'd have my letter by the end of the day.

should the NSX be driven to work. That may be the worst question I have ever heard in my life.

My obvious answer is absolutely. As long as your not a stuck up idiot who brags about his car because your self conscious.

If your not, then enjoy your machine and drive the hell out of it. If you are one of those losers, then don't drive it cause you may get vandalized, hopefully (which your boss probably is).

By the way, rickysals well said my friend.

cheers
Tom

Back