Driving in the Rain

Aren't all the subframe and suspension bolts steel with a special electro-something coating on them to prevent the aluminum to steel chemical reaction?

Exhaust, bolts, head bolts and nuts, oil pan, etc... all are steel. Its a car, so I drive it. Some people baby theirs, others drive it, do as you please but yes its fine and the car won't melt. However salted roads for snow control is probably the worst for your car.

Honda coats these steel bolts in dacro to isolate them from the aluminum. The NSX body was designed in such a way that it does not collect water is seams and crests, in a way that would promote rust. So, the NSX is ready for the rain all day long. 27 stage paint job helps too.

How many of these meticulous owners who don't their cars in the rain are as meticulous with the maintanence. I'd rather buy a car that has been driven in the rain over one that hasn't had routine service.

How many of you non-rain drivers have replaced all the hoses on your car?

Done it all, engine out service including all hoses, cam seals, cam plugs, main seal, vc gaskets, oil pan gasket, main relay, Honda coolant, thermostat, Honda brake fluid, flushed clutch, brakes, ABS, exercised ABS with Honda tool, water pump, new style tb cover for new style water pump, new tb cover seals, new spark plugs, t belt and tensioner, valves adjusted, Titanium Dave balancer shield, penzoil synthetic, honda manual transmission fluid, fuel filter, and more that I'm sure I just can't remember at this moment, every part genuine Honda. I will do it all again in about 7 years even though the car only goes about 3000 miles per year and I firmly believe that the belt will last longer, I just want those flawless records for the car.

Just as OCD about the mechanicals as the cleanliness.

Peter

How many of these meticulous owners who don't their cars in the rain are as meticulous with the maintanence. I'd rather buy a car that has been driven in the rain over one that hasn't had routine service.

How many of you non-rain drivers have replaced all the hoses on your car?

That's an easy one...I'm just as anal...I bought my car approx 16 months ago and within 3 months it was off to Larry B's with a blank check. $5,000 later it was completely sorted by the best himself. It was worth every penny for the peace of mind:biggrin:

It's not the fact the car remains dry the person is trying to get across, it's about their attitude towards the car.

For example, which of these would you prefer to buy from.
1) I only drive my NSX at night with ideal humidity levels so the paint and rubber components suffer the least damage possible while still driving the car frequently enough to keep all moving parts in good order.
2) I drive my NSX only when it's nice outside in order to keep it as clean as possible in general.
3) I drive my NSX whenever I want but try to avoid rough roads if possible. I did my timing belt at 60k miles back in 97' so leave me alone.
4) Gravel roads, even during downpours, don't scare me - it's a honda and it can take the pain. I detail it once a year with the hose out back.
5) It's aluminum and it's a honda, I drive this sob whenever and wherever I want because water ain't going to make it rust like my old datsun and even though it's a 91 with 160k miles the timing belt looks damn good to me!

Exaggeration and a gross generalization but you get the point.

Last edited:
Well it's good to know that some of you are also meticulous in keeping the service up to date. I'm a believer in preventative maintenance and I barely drive my NSX anymore, rain or shine.

5) It's aluminum and it's a honda, I drive this sob whenever and wherever I want because water ain't going to make it rust like my old datsun

Hey...

I see what you did there. :tongue:

Back