Driveshaft/Rear Axle DIY, Anyone?

Gotta replace my rear driveshafts today, never done it before, I did a ton of searching and never found a real DIY on the forums.
Does anyone know where I might find a good DIY on replacing them? Thanks.

Paul,

Go to tech manual chapters 16-2 16-3 & so on... I think DanOland had a diy on his website too but i can't seem to find it.
Also try this link: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/35795-Remove-rear-axles

You will need a small & large pry bars, I use the small one to punch & knock into that detent at the intermediate shaft, should come right out. Also need wire hangers to hang those brake calipers to keep them out the way.
GL

Last edited:
The driver side is avaailable for about $70 online. Just a rebuilt stock unit. The right side is not available except new from the dealer. Don't know why.

I currently replaced the right, and also need the left. $800 new from the dealer....OUCH! But I see no recourse.

Anyone out there know of a right side option??

Have fun....this is not like a civic....i had the hardest time taking the passenger side out for some reason but hopefully its easy for you..

Gotta replace my rear driveshafts today, never done it before, I did a ton of searching and never found a real DIY on the forums.
Does anyone know where I might find a good DIY on replacing them? Thanks.

Did you ever find a real DIY? Did you create one when you did yours?

As Centaur Exhaust noted, the manual is pretty complete on this. And, you don't need to remove the fixed shaft that goes into the trans, which can be stubborn. This side was pretty easy. Driver's side is much harder to pull the suspension pieces out of the way to get enough clearance to remove the shaft. Its a two-person job; my wife helped, but did complain. There was also a DIY by Larry B on this in the Iss 1 2012 NSX Driver, which you should have if you're an NSX Club member. It includes shaft removal as well as joint disasembly/cleaning & boot replacement.

Kaz has a bunch of good info on this. Just head over to nsxcb.co.uk
Searched and couldn't find anything...
Edit: found it: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6504-Driveshaft-refurbishment&p=59320#post59320
As Centaur Exhaust noted, the manual is pretty complete on this. And, you don't need to remove the fixed shaft that goes into the trans, which can be stubborn. This side was pretty easy. Driver's side is much harder to pull the suspension pieces out of the way to get enough clearance to remove the shaft. Its a two-person job; my wife helped, but did complain. There was also a DIY by Larry B on this in the Iss 1 2012 NSX Driver, which you should have if you're an NSX Club member. It includes shaft removal as well as joint disasembly/cleaning & boot replacement.

I'm not an Nsx Club member :frown:

Last edited:
Anyone have the cost of the Driving Ambition Upgrade and rebuild axle kit? I've looked on his website and didn't see anything.

Kaz has a bunch of good info on this. Just head over to nsxcb.co.uk
You can find recent examples by visiting the Blog section of the nsxcb site. There is a category for the driveshaft.
If NSX Prime allows direct link, you should be able to open the following link. Otherwise, please visit nsxcb site and visit the Blog section. If you open any of my blog post and scroll down a bit, you should see blog categories at the right side window.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=37

Kaz

Is that included sending our units there or just the price of his kits

Note that the spindle nut is factory installed to 242 lb-ft of torque, with a dimple punched into the rim of the nut to lock it on the half-shaft. That plus age, rust, etc, can make removing that nut and sliding the shaft out of the spindle a challenge. If you have an impact wrench with 500 lb-ft capability, removing the nut is easy, otherwise, here's my tips for that.

1. Remove the center caps from your rims - for my OEM rims, I didn't want to scratch the caps by prying them out, so I removed the wheels, popped the caps out from the rear with a wood block, then remounted the wheels.
2. Use a small (narrow) chisel to pry-up the dimpled part of the spindle nut. Easiest to do while/if the wheel is off in step 1.
3. Reinstall the wheels, lower the car, fully engage the hand brake, and put the car into gear. (If you're really anal like me, 1st gear for the driver side, reverse for the passenger side, just in case the engine turns a little during step 4).
4. Using a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, with about a 6' pipe extension over the breaker bar, loosen the spindle nut 1 to 2 turns.
5. Using a 2 or 3 lb hammer along with a thin wood block or a brass bar/punch, whack the spindle nut/half-shaft end to break it loose from the hub. It may require PBlaster to loosen rust on the shaft or hub splines. I have heard of cases where much greater force was needed to break the shaft loose from the hub. Both of mine came loose with a light tap, but my car has always been garaged and only has 75kmi.

After the above, take the nuts off all the way, remove the tires, jack up the car and follow the steps in the shop manual.

Hope this helps.

D/S rebuild

Three weeks ago just did all this.
Find my thread and follow it !

LISTEN to Kaz !!!
Get some AREO-KROIL or like item, P.B. Blaster, etc....
Get a puller !
Don't be in a hurry !!!!!

Use anti-sieze when you put it back together !

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Three weeks ago just did all this.
Find my thread and follow it !

LISTEN to KAZ !!!
Get some AREO-KROIL or like item, P.B. Blaster, etc....
Get a puller !
Don't be in a hurry !!!!!

Use ant-sieze when you put it back together !

Cheers
nigel
Thanks for the reply, found it by searching your previous made threads. You should probably change the title to something better though, nobody is going to search for what you have as your title.
Note that the spindle nut is factory installed to 242 lb-ft of torque, with a dimple punched into the rim of the nut to lock it on the half-shaft. That plus age, rust, etc, can make removing that nut and sliding the shaft out of the spindle a challenge. If you have an impact wrench with 500 lb-ft capability, removing the nut is easy, otherwise, here's my tips for that.

1. Remove the center caps from your rims - for my OEM rims, I didn't want to scratch the caps by prying them out, so I removed the wheels, popped the caps out from the rear with a wood block, then remounted the wheels.
2. Use a small (narrow) chisel to pry-up the dimpled part of the spindle nut. Easiest to do while/if the wheel is off in step 1.
3. Reinstall the wheels, lower the car, fully engage the hand brake, and put the car into gear. (If you're really anal like me, 1st gear for the driver side, reverse for the passenger side, just in case the engine turns a little during step 4).
4. Using a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, with about a 6' pipe extension over the breaker bar, loosen the spindle nut 1 to 2 turns.
5. Using a 2 or 3 lb hammer along with a thin wood block or a brass bar/punch, whack the spindle nut/half-shaft end to break it loose from the hub. It may require PBlaster to loosen rust on the shaft or hub splines. I have heard of cases where much greater force was needed to break the shaft loose from the hub. Both of mine came loose with a light tap, but my car has always been garaged and only has 75kmi.

After the above, take the nuts off all the way, remove the tires, jack up the car and follow the steps in the shop manual.

Hope this helps.
THANKS!!
You can find recent examples by visiting the Blog section of the nsxcb site. There is a category for the driveshaft.
If NSX Prime allows direct link, you should be able to open the following link. Otherwise, please visit nsxcb site and visit the Blog section. If you open any of my blog post and scroll down a bit, you should see blog categories at the right side window.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=37

Kaz
Thanks!

Hope this helps.

I am in the throws of trying to change out the boots on both sides of the rear axle. this all started with a separation problem in my exhaust that I discovered when running my car on the track at Grattan in GR, Mich.To make a long story short, after removing the exhaust I decided i would install a baffled oil pan which meant removing the aftermarket Comp Tech headers, which meant removing the beam and motor mount, which meant replace motor mounts from SOS. Whew, I am tired thinking about all i have been through. anyway, when i removed the oil pan I noticed that the right side (passenger) boot was leaking. so if i was going to change the right i should replace the left...needless to say i cannot for the life of me break the hub nut. I am going to try your method outlined above, but I dont understand the part where you whack the hub nut to get it to break loose? explain please. Before all is said and done I will have installed the baffled oil pan. I've pulled my entire exhaust and had all pipes ceramic coated black, brake calipers are powder coated red, new suspension for shocks (K-3's), new SOS motor mounts around, front suspension bars from SOS under the battery tray and something else across the front of the radiator. Hope to put new wheels and tires on and be ready for the track in May; fingers crossed.

You crack the hub nut and lessen / remove then using a piece of wood pushing the cv back out of the housing is what he means. Breaker bar and pipe is the easiest way. Can still do wheel off with someone standing on the brakes :) 3/4" drive if you wish to avoid smashing the bars

^+1
The splined shaft of the CV/axle shaft assembly goes into the splined shaft of the wheel hub, and the nut pulls it all tight into place. If there were no such thing as rust and corrosion, the shaft would just slide out of the hub. Loosening the nut 2 turns, then whacking the nut/shaft with a hammer will loosen the shaft from the hub in some cases. Leaving the nut on prevents the shaft from retracting too far & transferring impact to the CV joint itself. As others have noted, if this doesn't loosen the splined shaft from the hub its time for something like PB Blaster, let it soak overnight, then try whacking it again. If that fails, its time to use a strong puller. Even in that case, leave the nut on but loose a few turns in case the end of the shaft flares out a little from the applied force.

I understand your "infinite" project. I cleaned/greased/re-booted my CV joints/halfshafts when doing my clutch this past summer.

Is there a possibility to remove the driveshafts without braking loose the lower ball join? I have not tried to remove it but I need to. Any tips on that?

Bernhard

Is there a possibility to remove the driveshafts without braking loose the lower ball join? I have not tried to remove it but I need to. Any tips on that?

Bernhard

DO NOT remove the lower ball joint! Remove the two bolts that the lower arm pivots on(mark the alignment bolt for reassembly). Swing the lower arm out with ball joint complete.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, is it possible for you to post the article or a link to your treatise on the axle shaft remove, disassemble, clean & reboot as referenced above-specifically the article in Iss 1 2012 NSX Driver? I know i would be most appreciative. JD

Larry, is it possible for you to post the article or a link to your treatise on the axle shaft remove, disassemble, clean & reboot as referenced above-specifically the article in Iss 1 2012 NSX Driver? I know i would be most appreciative. JD
Should have mentioned him like this so he gets an alert [MENTION=3729]Larry Bastanza[/MENTION]

Back