drive a 92 NSX

I finally drove a nsx...I was going to buy it buy turns out to be a salvage/junk title. had 39k miles and asking $26.5...but as soon as he said salvage I rather stay away from it. regardless I took it for a spin and the lack of p/s did not bother me until I needed to park. the car feels pretty quick and lite but I couldn't really feel the vtech kicking or making a very loud noise considering I took it around 7000rpms...anybody care to explain?

There are a couple of explanations.

1) That NSX just sucked. With a salvage title, who knows what happened.

2) What are you used to driving? The NSX will not push you back in your seat like a viper or Vette. It is still very fast, but you really don't feel like you are accelerating as fast as you are.

I haven't found the "VTEC kick in" to be as dramatic as say an s2000 or even my Si...The NSX has a lot more mid range power than either car though. Of course, that just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 26 May 2002).]

well the things I hear from the vtech kids is like when the vtec kicks it's like a turbo and ur slammed onto the seat. but it didn't feel likee that at all. I just felt that the car was pretty quick and responsive though not as torquey as I would think. my overall experience with the car is that it's quick and it's lite. I am used to driving a 96 vr4 with dynoed 450hp at the wheels. but once I hopped on my car to leave I felt that my car is heavy. hehehehe but still looking to buy a low mileage 91-92 nsx. cuz I've had my car for 4years and want something exotic now hehehe.

Madfast,

I have never driven any Vtec that "kicks" in like a turbo. To me, the throttle just begins to feel extra sensitive when the Vtec kicks in and gives you more power on tap. Your VR-4 will have much more "kick", like all turbo cars do, but the NSX has a more smooth torque curve so you won't feel it as much. Same result in the end, though, just a different feel to it. Did that make any sense?

I will second that.

The strongest VTEC kick that I have felt is in the Prelude VTEC and Honda S2000. The Civic SI, Integra GSR, Accord 4 and 6 cyl, and even the NSX have a linear feel meaning there is no drop off in power as you rev the engine. The Prelude and S2000 feel like Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde. when they switch cam lobes.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

I didn't notice the throttle becoming more responisve though...but acceleration was pretty smooth and linear. the car is definitely quick. also, I've seen type R run in my block cuz it belongs to my neighbor and that thing makes a lot of noise. I guess cuz he's got toda cams and headers and muffler but it made so much noise and could loose traction so easily between 1-2 gear. I didn't feel that the engine from from the nsx scream that loud though. is it because its missing the headers? will headers give a lot of power to the nsx? 15hp? or so? I mean I could hear the engine but it's just not as loud as a ferrari as I initially thought. Any comment guys? I am still llooking to buy an nsx though...I want exoticism heehehe and a hand made car with titatnium conrods hehehee

Originally posted by NyC NsX:
madfast how old are you ???...from all the hehe's im guessing teens to early 20's

Totally unnecessary and irrelevant. I don't know about you but everytime I think/drive NSX, I get giggly like a little girl with barbie dolls.

Stock early model NSXes are extremely smooth in power delivery.

With my Cantrell Concepts intake duct, I very, very clearly hear VTEC kick in, but the transition is very smooth.

I do, however, get a big kick in the seat of the pants between 4000-4500, which I never got before I had DC Sports headers installed. It also shows up on the dyno. I'm not sure why it happens, but it certainly has something to do with the headers, and may have something to do with the VVIS switching, and possibly also the fuel pump switching, as I can hear the fuel pump switch right as it starts to get wild.

-Mike

nyc nsx,
I am 25. does it matter?

ak,
I agree with you

grippgoat,
thanks for the info. I guess headers really make a big difference huh? what kind of headers did u go with?

Hey madfast, do you talk like you write? That is some accent for the Northeast!

The problem here is that modded cars are being compared against a stock NSX.

An Integra that's modded to be loud (cams, exhaust, mufflers) is obviously going to sound more aggressive than any stock exhaust setup. Especially with cams, actually.

A 450rwhp Vr4? Come on! How are you going to beat the visceral feel of a 450rwhp AWD launch???

If you're seriously considering an NSX, you might want to take a more realistic approach. The 92 coupe is a, what, 245 rwhp car or so? The car is light, so it will feel nimble, but it will never feel torquey.

To top it off, that car was salvaged... I'd say the best bet is to forget that experience, drive an NSX that is definitely sorted out, and keep your expectations in line with the cars capabilities...

steve,
yes I do have an accent and No, I don't speak like that when I am speaking to real ppl. thanks for the concern.

spookyp,
c'mon I drove it and even though it's not as torquey as a vr4 or as fast as my bro's mk4 supra. I still like it. I am 24 and I've had it with hp. so what if I beat my friend's z06 on the 1/4 mile. I want something I'll enjoy. I really think that nsx despite the 270ponies will be a nice car for me to ride around with. I never been on a ferrari b4 but I think the nsx comes close. kinda like the poor man's ferrari. In other words, not looking for power cuz been there and done that.
oh forgot to add that the car had a salvage title but I checked it on carfax and it says nothing about accidents. so I guess it was just vandalized as the owner stated? take care sookyp.

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 16 June 2002).]

Originally posted by madfast:
...In other words, not looking for power cuz been there and done that...

confused.gif
How about usable power? The 3.0L early NSXs will go almost 170mph with no mods! I'm sure nsxtasy can quote the applicable 0-60 times. The NSX is not "slow" in anybody's book (even the Ferrari and Lamborghini boys wouldn't call the NSX "slow").

Good Luck in your search...there are very few people in this world (who are looking for a sports car) that would be dissapointed with an NSX (even ALLAN
biggrin.gif
).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Poor mans Ferrari? I don't think so. That sounds like somebody has to settle for an NSX because they can't afford a Ferrari. I have had more than one person in a parking lot ask me if mine was a Ferrari. I politely tell them what it is and watch their jaw drop!
I have a GS-R that I use as a daily driver and feel the VTEC engage but it DOES NOT feel like a turbo or any other type of forced induction, just a nice little addition of power when you are revving it up. It is not quite as noticeable in the NSX but with the engine cover off you can hear it engage and there are very few things around that can match that wonderful song of that engine in full tune.

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
The 3.0L early NSXs will go almost 170mph with no mods! I'm sure nsxtasy can quote the applicable 0-60 times. The NSX is not "slow" in anybody's book (even the Ferrari and Lamborghini boys wouldn't call the NSX "slow").

Low fives - 5.2 to 5.3.

i new id see a comment on "the poor man's ferrari" line! now your definately going to be on the shitlist with some members of this board. Even i didnt have the nerve to say that on here.lol.

c'mon guys no need to be offensive about it. that's just my opinion. I thought it was a free country and free forum? I guesss not. bottom line is that I am looking for a nsx. and I like it. nowhere do I say that it is slow. I said it is quick but never slow. hope this clarifies things and ppl. take a diazepam.
smile.gif
peace!

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
I always thought the Ferrari was the "poor man's Lamborghini"
biggrin.gif

And I always thought Lamborghini was a poor man's Mclaren F1 !
smile.gif

Originally posted by NetViper:
And I always thought Lamborghini was a poor man's Mclaren F1 !
smile.gif

Arrgh!! I was going to say that, but I didnt want to go down that road (Mclaren F1 is a poor man's Formula 1 Car, etc...)

BTW - Congrats again on the new baby (the one with 4 wheels!)
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by ALLAN:
me too! thats why i bought an nsx and a KIT CAR LAMBO!

Allan - I don't know that much about your car's history. What is a Kit Car Lambo? Is yours really a kit or was that just a joke? From your avatar it certainly looks "authentic" (and very cool!).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back