drilled rotors, low profile tires

Soichiro said:
>>slotted may be useful if your running rally and a lot of mud is present.

So the slots are designed for cleaning mud off the rotors? Thanks for this information, I was confused because all the brake manufacturers, and the brake physics books I've read say the slots wipe the pads of unwanted outgassing and other materials.

>>when you change it to a much lower profile (tire) ... you suffer traction loss.

I thought traction was dependant on rubber compound, inflation pressure, internal construction and tread design. Stupid me, it's the height of the sidewall that determines traction. I wonder if any race teams or auto manufacturers know this stuff?

A larger wheel (needed with lower profile tires) may add weight to the car but more weight equals more traction in my auto physics handbook.

gassing is caused by heat. less surface area to dissipate heat means more heat. gassing is almost no problem with compounds used today. when you remove slots of material from the rotor you actually just caused a weak spot in it. the slot will effectively move air thru it which it was designed to do but it cools the rotor unevenly. so lets look at the facts from some well known sources-

crackedpowerslot.jpg

from wilwoods website http://www.wilwood.com/faq.asp#question7
i didnt say that was the design of the slots, i said it could be useful in removing mud/debris
and this
http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm
and this
http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.htm
and the guys at stop tech
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/
and the guys at baer brakes
http://www.baer.com/Support/FAQ.aspx#1
so i wont go any further into tires and handling properties of them because it is obvious to me that your attitude is that of a flame against me when all i tried to do was present FACTS to people in a simple way that can be easily understood. so until your attitude can become less like someone scorning me with his vast knowledge of physics and braking systems:rolleyes: and that of someone who is willing to share information that is valid and factual and has evidence to prove any claim made then im not really going to listen to you. i hate flame wars ok buddy?
they are stupid and meaningless and offer no value to anyone.

He's okay guys, leave him alone

567234ta's first post was a bit oversimplistic. He later admitted that, and went on to a reasonable explanation of what he meant. So those who are perpetuating the flame war by criticizing either his first post, or my response to it, are doing just that - perpetuating the flame war, rather than realizing that it had been clarified (and peace made).

BTW, all rotors crack. I haven't collected photos, because I don't bother saving the cracked ones, sorry.

I don't see a flame war here at all.

AFAIK, there isn't a single real engineer that responded here. I don't think anyone here truely claims to know the absolute truth about this complex problem. Only an engineer, manufacturer, or race team who has done thorough testing and research can present the reproduceable data. That said, I think most of us have a good enough understanding about the trade-offs on configuring a safe brake rotor for street and occasional track use.

Yes-n-No

I don't see a flame war here at all.

Correct.

AFAIK, there isn't a single real engineer that responded here.

Incorrect.....I am an ME.

So AndyVecsey is an ME. So what? Do you work with metal fatigue as it applies to car brakes? I am a CE but that gives me no more credibility as to how a house should be built if I am not a builder. All I am saying is that just because someone has a degree, someone with experience could be much better suited to answer questions.

Now if you have the degree AND experience, then bravo!

I noticed those pics of the cracked rotors are on 1 piece rotors would the 2 piece rotors resolve this problem as well as getting it plated? My 2 Piece are warranteed for life to not crack.

Tan

I Can Back My Smack Up, Can You?

So AndyVecsey is an ME. So what? Now if you have the degree AND experience, then bravo!

As it turns out, the twenty-two years of experience that I almost listed should've been done so to squelch the above comment. Yes, OSU graduate of six years ago, I do have experince designing power transmission components - hmmm, does 1000HP industrial gearboxes meet your satisfaction? How about clutch assemblies for diesel V-16 engines? How about turbine generator sets for the US Navy? Or all terrain vehicles for the US Army? Or large jet movers for every major airline that produce traction force of over 60,000 LB? And here is THE topper. We would take a regular flat trailer (the kind that you see in combo to make an 18-wheeler) mount it full of heavy oil well drilling equipment and ship them around the world. And guess what the first thing we did to the trailer? Oh wait, the suspense is too much to take. You guessed it.....we upgraded the brakes. For the naysayers, the company is Stewart & Stevenson.

I'm pretty sure that I know my stuff.

Back