• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Downforce NA1 91-01 NSX-R Carbon Fiber hoods

Dry carbon is more desirable ONLY if it is done right.

Isn't this the case with anything? Anything is more desirable ONLY if it is done right.

For DF, wet carbon is desirable because the method is affordable, and if alteration is needed, the cost of casting a new mold is more timely and cost effective. But DF is capable of doing both.

BTW, I have never seen any one do 10 layers during wet carbon production, so needless to, wet carbon hood replica can easily beat the weight of JDM OEM hood.

If you have read the previous post carefully, you know Honda produced the dry method Type R hood by using total of ten layers of CF. The advertised weight of the hood was over 6 kg. DF hood wet carbon hood is lighter than that.

So the question now becomes how did DF achieve a lighter hood than the OEM Honda one? Given the fact a wet lay up part is more resin rich which means it has a higher areal density: is it because DF employs less plys in their lay up schedule?

This also raised the question of when GT-ROM/ROUTE-KS advertised their hood at 2 kg (1/3 the weight of real Honda hood); the only logical explanation is that they mostly likely used only 2-3 layers.

The discussion was based on the "reason" behind the selection of dry or wet method. When you do dry carbon with insufficient layers of CF on some thing that large, the CF strength may be compromised. Dry CF is a very expensive process, therefore, in my opinion, doesn't make sense unless you produce the hood the way Honda did with the proper layers of 10. If any one got the hood right, it will be Honda’s own. And yes, I have seen it, and it is truly a work of art…

It is a cool way to advertise a CF part when using the word “Dry.” I ask Peter to produce the hood in dry carbon as a regular production item, and Peter doesn’t think the hood will sale because he will do the hood right by using 10 layers of CF, and have to rent the facility to produce it - The price will be high. Peter also understand that we already have venders selling dry CF hood, there is no reason to complete with them.

DF is capable of doing any methods you like, however, to make things simple; the price listed is all base on the basic wet carbon construction. You need to contact Peter directly if you want a different construction method, and work out the pricing.

Therefore, any one who is curious about Dry CF related product, it is important to find out how many layers of CF is in there.

Your comments regarding the construction technique DF selects to use are perfectly valid and understandable.

The same concept of strength applies to a wet lay up part also: the less plies used for a part may mean it's structure is compromised.

How many plies called for in the DF hood layup schedule?

In addition, the resin ratio also affects the parts strength: there is an optimum ratio given the operating parameters of a part, fiber being used and the resin being used. Once you go beyond a point, the part becomes weaker. Also, the compaction of the part is important in the structure's strength. So in designing and constructing a composite part there are a lot of factors to be considered.

To me, DF makes some very nice looking products. Their process is probably sufficient enough for the application of a hood or spoiler.

Personally, knowing how the part is made ultimately demonstrates how nice the product is. Thanks for answering the questions from members of the forum.

Hey george, want to finance a full Dry carbon wide body kit with center exiting exhaust for your GeoMetro?:biggrin:

Actually, I'm waiting for the perfect center exit exhaust for my NSX which is just as fast as a Geo Metro the way I drive it.

--
George

Isn't this the case with anything? Anything is more desirable ONLY if it is done right.

So the question now becomes how did DF achieve a lighter hood than the OEM Honda one? Given the fact a wet lay up part is more resin rich which means it has a higher areal density: is it because DF employs less plys in their lay up schedule?

Your comments regarding the construction technique DF selects to use are perfectly valid and understandable.

The same concept of strength applies to a wet lay up part also: the less plies used for a part may mean it's structure is compromised.

How many plies called for in the DF hood layup schedule?

In addition, the resin ratio also affects the parts strength: there is an optimum ratio given the operating parameters of a part, fiber being used and the resin being used. Once you go beyond a point, the part becomes weaker. Also, the compaction of the part is important in the structure's strength. So in designing and constructing a composite part there are a lot of factors to be considered.

To me, DF makes some very nice looking products. Their process is probably sufficient enough for the application of a hood or spoiler.

Personally, knowing how the part is made ultimately demonstrates how nice the product is. Thanks for answering the questions from members of the forum.

Actually, I'm waiting for the perfect center exit exhaust for my NSX which is just as fast as a Geo Metro the way I drive it.

--
George

To make the explaination simple, 2 to 3 layers of CF is used and there is a layer of FRP used. The usage of FRP is to help remove the "bubbles" when laying the CF down, because it is easier to see the bubbles through white Fiber glass. If you have seen my old hood, there were three layers of CF, one layer of FRP, and one layer of CK (for decoration). DF made that as a show piece just to let people know the options. If you are in S. Cal, stop by DF and Peter will give you a tour. The wet carbon construction method is very much same as most manufactures; however, the pride of the DF product is really based on the workmanship. I'm sure you have seen DF spoiler or other related products, they are indeed, very pretty.

All right, I think that as far as I will go with our ancient chinese secret...lol Any more than this, any body can just follow the instruction and produce their own CF proudct.

Last edited:
I'm starting this thread to give the opportunity to the NSX Prime members that have been desiring the world famous DOWNFORCE NSX-R hoods for their 91-01 NSX with pop-up headlights.
your dreams are becoming reality.

as you know Downforce creates the most beautiful carbon fiber hood available for the NSX with fitment superior to any other.

14.jpg

Is this the end result of the NA2 front bumper converted for a NA1 car that was shown some time ago in another thread in this section.
Would like to know more about it, it this going into production ??

im trying to generate money with the NA1 Type-R hood so i can start on the 02+ bumper for 91-01 pop-up headlights too. the faster and more money im able to generate, the sooner i can get this bumper made. so help me, help you. do not ask what i can do for you, but what you can do for the community - Van Wilder, or something like it.

so yes it is in the works.
buy the NA1 hood and get first dibs and discount on the NA1-02 bumper

First, thanks Erick and the guys at Downforce for bringing out this product. I don't have the money yet but I'm saving for this hood right now and I'll be in line when the 02 style bumper comes out too. I'm one of the guys who like how the car looks with pop up headlights so this kit is for me, which brings me to this pic...

12.jpg

WOW! Was this a custom job, a kit, or what's going on with these headlights and how do I make mine look like that!

-Nate

Why do they call this an NA1 hood? NA1 is an engine code for the 3.0-liter motor. The hood is identical on for all '91-01 models, including those with the NA1 engine as well as the NA2.

ken,
you and me both know even though its not entirely correct.
but it creates less confusion for the rest of us and to just give it a rest, call 91-01 pop-ups NA1 and fixed lights NA2. Honda shouldve made it that way. one of their many flaws. :biggrin: :wink:

Why do they call this an NA1 hood? NA1 is an engine code for the 3.0-liter motor. The hood is identical on for all '91-01 models, including those with the NA1 engine as well as the NA2.

Because we will only accept orders from owners of NA1 cars:biggrin: So if you have a NA1, you will have to wait till we start a new thread for pre-02 NA2!!!

Erick, change the thread title to Pre-02 NSX-R hood so NSXTASY can be a happy camper!!!:wink:

i've just edited and added some specials for this group buy to the initial post #1.
the first 10 of the group buyers will get the Downforce Radiator Air Duct for an additional $50 :eek:

i've also added a special price on the Downforce NSX-R Wing

and for people that are asking, this hood is based off the Gen.2 Re-Mastered NA2 NSX-R hood
so you'll get a perfect fitting Carbon Fiber NSX-R hood for your 91-01 pop-up headlights NSX

I don't believe I read if this remastered Gen 2 hood for 91-01 will be available with the option of keeping the spare. If yes, will the air duct still work. TIA.

im trying to generate money with the NA1 Type-R hood so i can start on the 02+ bumper for 91-01 pop-up headlights too. the faster and more money im able to generate, the sooner i can get this bumper made. so help me, help you. do not ask what i can do for you, but what you can do for the community - Van Wilder, or something like it.

so yes it is in the works.
buy the NA1 hood and get first dibs and discount on the NA1-02 bumper

i would love to help you to help me have the 02 bumper for pop-up lights by buying a Type-R hood for pop-up lights, but i already have one from another vendor :tongue: .... , i still support DF with other products...

thanks again for having this bumper in mind. Erick, could you open a new thread on this bumper so we don't highjack threads on other DF products :rolleyes: , i also made post on the DF NA1 lip thread...

AC

sorry guys, i've just been way busy, as usual.

this is what i can do for the guys that wants to keep his spare tire.
i can trim the scoop part of the hood to make it shallow to allow a spare tire.
basically it's going to be a special request for a one-off hood.
what i'll do it use my cutter and cut off part of the vent.

now, if you want to use the radiator duct,
the spare tire needs to be removed no matter what.

so if you want to go on a long trip and bring you spare along, just remove the radiator duct.
take out your spare and put the duct back in for your "performance days"

good news:

just a preview of the NSX-R radiator-hood duct that's going to available as the front aero package.
shown here in FRP. Full Carbon fiber will come along soon.
we're going to try and see if there's any improvements we can make for the installation on non-NSX-R cars easier
NSX-R_radiator_duct.jpg

hopefully this triple digit heat will die down and we can catch back on to production.

I'm still debating this! I want one so bad I can taste it, but I really want to paint it so I see no reason wasting $$ on carbon and cover it with paint. How rigid will the FRP top and bottom be? Will it need additional block sanding for paint. {black paint mind you}

I'm still debating this! I want one so bad I can taste it, but I really want to paint it so I see no reason wasting $$ on carbon and cover it with paint. How rigid will the FRP top and bottom be? Will it need additional block sanding for paint. {black paint mind you}

FRP is easier to prep for paint than carbon fiber. If you are going to paint it, I suggest an FRP skin, and a carbon fiber bottom. :wink:

BTW Ben, in the carbon version, will these be standard version or the darker {smoked look} versions? I may go for the dark if you offer that! Thanks.:smile:

good news:

just a preview of the NSX-R radiator-hood duct that's going to available as the front aero package.
shown here in FRP. Full Carbon fiber will come along soon.
we're going to try and see if there's any improvements we can make for the installation on non-NSX-R cars easier
NSX-R_radiator_duct.jpg

hopefully this triple digit heat will die down and we can catch back on to production.

I was hoping DF would make this since there is only ONE other vendor that does and I can't afford it.:frown:

Back