• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Downforce NA1 91-01 NSX-R Carbon Fiber hoods

I'm starting this thread to give the opportunity to the NSX Prime members that have been desiring the world famous DOWNFORCE NSX-R hoods for their 91-01 NSX with pop-up headlights.
your dreams are becoming reality.

as you know Downforce creates the most beautiful carbon fiber hood available for the NSX with fitment superior to any other.
This NA1 hood for the pop-up lights will be built based off of the re-mastered hood.
made for picky guys, this is the hood with less gap.

the first 10 people to place deposits, i will be able to offer you these long awaited work of art NA1 NSX-R hoods at the prices of:
$2,000 for full carbon fiber topside and underside. best savings
$1,800 for FRP topside and Carbon Fiber underside
$1,650 for FRP topside and FRP bottom side
price above is for first 10 buyers only.

i'll need a 10% deposit from each committed buyer.

after 10, the price will be available at the normal retail prices of:
$2,345 for full carbon fiber topside and underside.
$2,095 for FRP topside and Carbon Fiber underside
$1,845 for FRP topside and FRP bottom side

the first NA1 hood for sale will be available in 4 weeks.
so buyers, get in line and place your deposits.

Line of of committed buyers starts here:
1. Commander/Todd S. - Carbon/Carbon - deposit paid
2. NSX Prime Guest #1- Luke R. - Carbon/Carbon - deposit pending

3. you are next when you put your deposit in. bump this thread when you do.
please just hit reply, don't quote because this thread might get too long.

As a super crazy added bonus,
the Group Buy participants get to buy the Downforce Air Duct “Bucket” for additional $50 bucks.
yeah, its a crazy low price, and you should be jumping for joy
it's the matching air duct to guide the air through the front of the
bumper through the opening of the NSX-R scooped vent
this actually helps with "downforce" and channels the hot air from the radiator away.

People who select the Full CF version hoods will get a CF Downforce Air Duct.
CF/FRP and FRP/FRP version hoods will received the FRP version of the Downforce Air Duct.

And

Additional discount:
Downforce NSX-R wing with LED as package price of:
CF - $1250.00 (including Berlina Black or Candy clear coat)
$1000.00 (Raw finish)
FRP - $900.00 (No paint)
Also add shipping of $55.00 domestic and $190 international.

if you want something, don't be afraid to ask me.

deposit and payments options:
- Cash
- Paypal+3% with confirmed address.
- Check or money order.
- Credit card through Google checkout, no fees

please PM me or Email me @ [email protected] to place your orders.

want to see more cool stuff? check out my photo gallery here

here's a few creations of when Downforce and MODE4 unite.

Downforce NA2 NSX-R full carbon fiber hoods
11497100_3042_copy.jpg

here is Mike C's Downforce custom one-off NA1 NSX-R hood.
05.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an important/informative piece of information. DF's hood production capacity is about 4 to 6 units per month; therefore, after four weeks or so when the mold is complete, who ever is in line will received the product according to the order of deposit.

The NA1 version will have an identical air duct/radiator vent as the 02 spec hood, which will work with the OEM air duct bucket.

The pre 02 spec front bumper aero under trays will be available soon. Therefore, as part of the pre-release promotion, you will receive a significant discount on both the air duct bucket and the under tray replicas when purchasing the hood – The price will be set shortly when the mold is complete.

DF will guarantee the fitment because the mold is derived from the real NA2 Type R hood.

Last edited:
As who knows???

I have the GT-ONE dry carbon hood and I reckon it is the best :biggrin:
You acutally paid 4 grand for that NA2 hood when the identical hood is sold at Route-KS for half the price?:biggrin: :eek:

if you and your workmates think the overpriced GT-rom's hood is just nice,
the DOWNFORCE NSX-R hood will just blow it out of the water and back to japan.

everytime i pop my DOWNFORCE NSX-R hood up for display the Crystal Cove and PAG meet, people practically tip backwards in shocking amazement.
even ENZO owners wish their factory CF hood and hatch looked this good.

2 questions:
1. Is the carbon weave identical to the engine cover he sells. {hopefully}
2. What if I commit but lets say you only get 6 committed buyers? What happens then pricewise on the $2000 all carbon hood? Does the price go up?

2 questions:
1. Is the carbon weave identical to the engine cover he sells. {hopefully}
2. What if I commit but lets say you only get 6 committed buyers? What happens then pricewise on the $2000 all carbon hood? Does the price go up?

Don't worry, we will sell at least 10 hood. We could reach that number tomorrow, or two months from now, we will sell ten hoods. Therefore, the introductry offer will be good to the first ten buyers.

As for the weave, when was your engine covered purchased? We have to check but most likely the same because DF have been buying CF from the same source for years.

if you and your workmates think the overpriced GT-rom's hood is just nice,
the DOWNFORCE NSX-R hood will just blow it out of the water and back to japan.

everytime i pop my DOWNFORCE NSX-R hood up for display the Crystal Cove and PAG meet, people practically tip backwards in shocking amazement.
even ENZO owners wish their factory CF hood and hatch looked this good.

I don't doubt that the DF hood looks nice, but for not much more you can get a prepreg, autoclaved carbon hood.

Don't take it personally guys :tongue: it's just that when this statement was made "as you know Downforce creates the most beautiful carbon fiber hood available for the NSX with fitment superior to any other" I didn't happen to agree. I prefer the light weight dry carbon to the glossy but heavier wet layup. OK?

You guys should take another look at my post, then check your responses. WOW!!!! :eek: Relax :cool:

I don't doubt that the DF hood looks nice, but for not much more you can get a prepreg, autoclaved carbon hood.

Don't take it personally guys :tongue: it's just that when this statement was made "as you know Downforce creates the most beautiful carbon fiber hood available for the NSX with fitment superior to any other" I didn't happen to agree. I prefer the light weight dry carbon to the glossy but heavier wet layup. OK?

You guys should take another look at my post, then check your responses. WOW!!!! :eek: Relax :cool:

First off, if you know CF, you can tell what is pretty and what is not. Dry Carbon is stronger, no doubt, but will cost more. But it is not pretty.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I’m sure you are very proud of the purchase. I guess if I get to sell a 399,000yen hood and bunch of other large ticket items, I’ll probably be very patient and nice too.

Regardless, I have seen them all and owned most of them at one point; the current DF hood does have the best fitment of all the NSX-R Hood replica, I have to admit I haven’t yet seen Procar's second generation hood.

I bought a route KS dry carbon hood six months ago and it didn't fit quite right, same problem with the first genertion DF and Procar hood. The side does not line up with the fenders unless you move the fenders to match it. Needless to say, I sold it.

Also, the GT-ROM/Route KS hood does not come with the hood screen. At least that's what I understand. Can you confirm that for me?

Please post some pictures of your hood on the car so I can see if they correct the fitment issues, if it does have a perfect fit, of course we will retract our statement.

Want a dry carbon hood, Peter can make it for you, just extra$$$

In fact, Peter made a Dry Carbon hood for testing, the content was according to Honda’s own - With Six layers CF on top and four layers on the bottom; it turn out to be heavier than the wet carbon version, over six kilogram/15lbs, similar to OEM weight. If you don’t produce the dry carbon hood according to Honda’s method, than you are defeating the purpose of having a dry carbon hood because the amount of layers indicates how strong it will be. Therefore, do you know how many layers of CF are in the Dry CF hood you bought? They claimed 2kg, so I assumed they only did no more than 2 layers per side. If that is the case, it may be light, but it can't be that strong.

The questions are legit, and it needs to be, because that's how you cross shop and understand each products.

03_zaz_r_h.jpg

250,800 yen
100.jpg

399000 Yen

And GT-ROM didn't even bother to change the picture...:eek: :confused:
Interestingly, all the Japanese Venders share their products but will brand it as their own. And the price differences are huge. In fact, my friend Nishimura San told me I can buy anything that is advertised on GT-ROM and Route-KS from him, and he will sell them cheaper.

Last edited:
Since we are on the issue of DF products and there fitment and quality

My question is dose DF make 2 types an exposed carbon fiber and carbon that is intended to be painted?

Reason being is the carbon hood that I have seen (02+) was sub par on fitment and quality. To be honest I was a little disappointed when I looked at it. However my NSX-R spoiler is top notch excellent fit finish and quality. I compared mine with the much more expensive PROCAR and I actually think mine looks nicer. But there hoods I’m not impressed with,There was actually areas that looked like the carbon was missing?

(My 2¢)
As always I will wait to see the finished product before committing myself to something I might not be happy with, its worth the extra $345 to me

Since we are on the issue of DF products and there fitment and quality

My question is dose DF make 2 types an exposed carbon fiber and carbon that is intended to be painted?

Reason being is the carbon hood that I have seen (02+) was sub par on fitment and quality. To be honest I was a little disappointed when I looked at it. However my NSX-R spoiler is top notch excellent fit finish and quality. I compared mine with the much more expensive PROCAR and I actually think mine looks nicer. But there hoods I

The original version did require some fiddling of the fenders and the front bumper to make the hood fit better, not perfect, but better. You can see that some cars came out perfect, some don’t. This may sound ridiculous but I think the installer can make a difference. Every car had DF hood that was installed through a professional shop did indeed looked great, and don’t’ look very good because the person who install it didn’t know what to do.

The new 02 spec hood is very much perfect, you can see the pictures posted on another thread. The truth is, DF could have just keep on selling the v.1 02 spec hood, but Peter want it to make things easier for people, that is why the second generation project was in motion. Trust me, it is a cheap project just to make the hood fit better, it is very costly.

As for exposure, you will have to contact DF because he will give you the break down. Do you intend to clear coats it or paint it to match the car?

Last edited:
First off, if you know CF, you can tell what is pretty and what is not. Dry Carbon is stronger, no doubt, but will cost more. But it is not pretty.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I’m sure you are very proud of the purchase. I guess if I get to sell a 399,000yen hood and bunch of other large ticket items, I’ll probably be very patient and nice too.

Regardless, I have seen them all and owned most of them at one point; the current DF hood does have the best fitment of all the NSX-R Hood replica, I have to admit I haven’t yet seen Procar's second generation hood.

I bought a route KS dry carbon hood six months ago and it didn't fit quite right, same problem with the first genertion DF and Procar hood. The side does not line up with the fenders unless you move the fenders to match it. Needless to say, I sold it.

Also, the GT-ROM/Route KS hood does not come with the hood screen. At least that's what I understand. Can you confirm that for me?

Please post some pictures of your hood on the car so I can see if they correct the fitment issues, if it does have a perfect fit, of course we will retract our statement.

Peter made a Dry Carbon hood for testing, the content was according to Honda’s own - With Six layers CF on top and four layers on the bottom; it it turn out to be heavier than the wet carbon hood, over six kilogram/15lbs, similar to OEM weight. If you don’t produce the dry carbon hood according to Honda’s method, than you are defeating the purpose of having a dry carbon hood, because the amount of layers indicates how strong it is. Therefore, do you know how many layers of CF are in the Dry CF hood you bought?

The questions are legit, and it needs to be, because that's how you cross shop and understand each products.

03_zaz_r_h.jpg

250,800 yen
100.jpg

399000 Yen

And GT-ROM didn't even bother to change the picture...:eek: :confused:
Interestingly, all the Japanese Venders share their products but will brand it as their own. And the price differences are huge. In fact, my friend Nishimura San told me I can buy anything that is advertised on GT-ROM and Route-KS from him, and he will sell them cheaper.

Firstly, my answer to the question did I pay 4 grand was no :biggrin:

I fitted the hood yesterday and the fit is as perfect as you could hope for. I'm trial fitting some of the other parts now (just about to put the car on the hoist) so I'll try and get some pics for you. As for the dry carbon part being pretty or not, well I guess that is up to the individual. Personally, I prefer the look of dry carbon. Don't forget my first comment. I think my hood is the best. And for the price I paid, there is no way I (personally) would get a wet layup part for 2K usd. I do however realise that I would be in the minority....

The hood comes with mesh over the outlet but not the metal plate. This suits me fine, as I will be making a custom duct to match my custom radiator and fan setup.

EDIT:

Seings we are all friendly NSX enthusiasts, have you got any advice on how to remove the stock side skirts? I had a quick look with the car on the ground and couldn't see anything. I hope it isn't too involved......

Firstly, my answer to the question did I pay 4 grand was no :biggrin:

I fitted the hood yesterday and the fit is as perfect as you could hope for. I'm trial fitting some of the other parts now (just about to put the car on the hoist) so I'll try and get some pics for you. As for the dry carbon part being pretty or not, well I guess that is up to the individual. Personally, I prefer the look of dry carbon. Don't forget my first comment. I think my hood is the best. And for the price I paid, there is no way I (personally) would get a wet layup part for 2K usd. I do however realise that I would be in the minority....

The hood comes with mesh over the outlet but not the metal plate. This suits me fine, as I will be making a custom duct to match my custom radiator and fan setup.

EDIT:

Seings we are all friendly NSX enthusiasts, have you got any advice on how to remove the stock side skirts? I had a quick look with the car on the ground and couldn't see anything. I hope it isn't too involved......

The rule of thumb has always been... What ever I decided to buy is the best for me. So regardless, you made the right decision as long as you are happy. As for the removal of the side skirts... it is not easy. What version do you have? PM Erick and he should be able to help you. You left very little information about your car and no one out side of your circle know what it is about.

I did a search :redface: and found this post:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58897&highlight=removing+side+skirts

My car is a 91. Turns out it is really easy if you know how :smile: Remove a couple of screws for the front and rear liners, two plastic screw in clips on the bottom (under the car), give it a tap forwards and off it came. It scares me thinking what I could have done without a quick search on prime....

I'm having a great time taping the new body parts to my car. Unfortunately, It is making my stock wheels look smaller and smaller. Also, it looks like the car needs to be dropped about 5 inches :biggrin:

Oh and Vance, don't for a second think I doubt your ability to build a hot NSX. I have a folder with as many pics of your car I could find for inspiration building my black NA1. :cool:

Deposit sent for Carbon/Carbon hood -

Thanks for supporting the community Erick!!!! I think this is more than a fair price considering the competition and availability of this product in authentic form ....

This is'nt hood related but it is Downforce related. Does Downforce make an airbox or stock airbox carbon top? I did not see it on the site unless I overlooked it. Thanks.

This is'nt hood related but it is Downforce related. Does Downforce make an airbox or stock airbox carbon top? I did not see it on the site unless I overlooked it. Thanks.

Not yet, we are evaluating the Mugen Style Intake, but if we ended up doing one, the mold will be very difficult to produce due to the shape.

In fact, Peter made a Dry Carbon hood for testing, the content was according to Honda’s own - With Six layers CF on top and four layers on the bottom; it turn out to be heavier than the wet carbon version, over six kilogram/15lbs, similar to OEM weight. If you don’t produce the dry carbon hood according to Honda’s method, than you are defeating the purpose of having a dry carbon hood because the amount of layers indicates how strong it will be. Therefore, do you know how many layers of CF are in the Dry CF hood you bought? They claimed 2kg, so I assumed they only did no more than 2 layers per side. If that is the case, it may be light, but it can't be that strong.

This is an interesting observation of the dry carbon being heavier than the wet carbon. Typically the resin to fiber ratio with dry carbon is lower, in some cases nearly 50% lower, than a wet layup that is not compacted through vacuum bagged or resin infused or match molding. So perhaps a fair lay up schedule comparison should be disclosed? My gut feeling is a prepeg hood with 10 plys is going to be lighter than a 10 ply wet lay up hood with both schedules using the same cloth.

Now if Downforce is vacuum bagging or using resin infusion then the resin content will go down. IMHO, if you don't autoclave, or bladder mold (ie, put it under several bars of pressure for compaction) a part that is to be made from prepreg, you're under utilizing the material.

I hope the specific construction technique Downforce is using may be disclosed as it can be a major selling point.

--
George

I am very confused. :confused:

Vance keep using the word 'we' when he refers to DF and Erick is selling the first 10 units of DF nsx-r hoods. Is Erick and Vance part of DF now? Does DF still sells its own product or are these hoods exclusive to Erick?

Can i buy these hoods from DF since Erick has a policy of not shipping overseas?

I am very confused. :confused:

Vance keep using the word 'we' when he refers to DF and Erick is selling the first 10 units of DF nsx-r hoods. Is Erick and Vance part of DF now? Does DF still sells its own product or are these hoods exclusive to Erick?

Can i buy these hoods from DF since Erick has a policy of not shipping overseas?

lol, Erick is officially part of the DF sales team. My role so far - for the last two weeks is basically a consultant. You will continue to see me hovering around until DF complete every possible Type R related replicas since I have good connections from Japan.

We did some changes internally; basically, each sales staff will be in charge of certain products to make things easier (accounting, inventory, and production).

As for International Shipping, I'm not sure what Erick has set up, since he's new, but if you have bought from DF in the past, I don't see a problem, you will have to work out with Erick through PM so he can quote you a shipping charge. If you have questions regarding any of the upcoming product, you can contact Erick, Peter, or ME:biggrin:
This is an interesting observation of the dry carbon being heavier than the wet carbon. Typically the resin to fiber ratio with dry carbon is lower, in some cases nearly 50% lower, than a wet layup that is not compacted through vacuum bagged or resin infused or match molding. So perhaps a fair lay up schedule comparison should be disclosed? My gut feeling is a prepeg hood with 10 plys is going to be lighter than a 10 ply wet lay up hood with both schedules using the same cloth.

Now if Downforce is vacuum bagging or using resin infusion then the resin content will go down. IMHO, if you don't autoclave, or bladder mold (ie, put it under several bars of pressure for compaction) a part that is to be made from prepreg, you're under utilizing the material.

I hope the specific construction technique Downforce is using may be disclosed as it can be a major selling point.

--
George

Dry carbon is more desirable ONLY if it is done right.

For DF, wet carbon is desirable because the method is affordable, and if alteration is needed, the cost of casting a new mold is more timely and cost effective. But DF is capable of doing both.

BTW, I have never seen any one do 10 layers during wet carbon production, so needless to, wet carbon hood replica can easily beat the weight of JDM OEM hood.

If you have read the previous post carefully, you know Honda produced the dry method Type R hood by using total of ten layers of CF. The advertised weight of the hood was over 6 kg. DF hood wet carbon hood is lighter than that.

This also raised the question of when GT-ROM/ROUTE-KS advertised their hood at 2 kg (1/3 the weight of real Honda hood); the only logical explanation is that they mostly likely used only 2-3 layers.

The discussion was based on the "reason" behind the selection of dry or wet method. When you do dry carbon with insufficient layers of CF on some thing that large, the CF strength may be compromised. Dry CF is a very expensive process, therefore, in my opinion, doesn't make sense unless you produce the hood the way Honda did with the proper layers of 10. If any one got the hood right, it will be Honda’s own. And yes, I have seen it, and it is truly a work of art…

It is a cool way to advertise a CF part when using the word “Dry.” I ask Peter to produce the hood in dry carbon as a regular production item, and Peter doesn’t think the hood will sale because he will do the hood right by using 10 layers of CF, and have to rent the facility to produce it - The price will be high. Peter also understand that we already have venders selling dry CF hood, there is no reason to complete with them.

DF is capable of doing any methods you like, however, to make things simple; the price listed is all base on the basic wet carbon construction. You need to contact Peter directly if you want a different construction method, and work out the pricing.

Therefore, any one who is curious about Dry CF related product, it is important to find out how many layers of CF is in there.

Hey george, want to finance a full Dry carbon wide body kit with center exiting exhaust for your GeoMetro?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back