Dodge NEON Srt-4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize the new Neons are fast and cheap, but this hurts. Yesterday, I am propositioned on the interstate by this cute neon. I ease into it and the guy leaves me!! Granted, he did get a jump on me, but I am not sure I was making any ground on him. I hit it from about 4800 rpm's in 3rd. I am sure he was more ready than I but again, I am not sure by the top of 3rd I was making any ground. My car is a 93 weighs 2850 lbs and has I/H/E,chip,comptech clutch/flywheel and short gears. He claims he was running no nitrous with about 18 lbs boost. He claims only running 13.4 at 106.7. I have done roll ons with a new m3, slp firehawk,ss camaro, and my wifes 96 M3. I have pulled all of them and expected the Neon to be a little quicker than my wife's M3. My g-tech showed my car at 13.0 at 110 mph with out the gears and clutch. Is my car slower than what I think or is the guy with the Neon hiding something from me. The slp firehawk should be about a 13.0 at 109 mph and I pulled him . I do not drag race, but my gosh, a NEON!!! My wife's M3 is not even close. I refuse to believe my car is running 13.6 at 105.

i

There is NO WAY that car was stock if it pulled on you. But it does suck that a $20K with a few minor mods can even compete with a NSX. That is part of the reason I want a SuperCharger.

An SRT4 with a few mods can compete with anything in a straight line really. This is a perfect example of why ones perception of the value of a sports car can't be limited to acceleration only.

As more and more bargain basement cars get quicker and quicker in a straight line, the true diffentiator for sports cars will be what it always should have been - driving experience and overall track performance.

Im sure that for many people, the likes of the SRT4 is all they really want/need anyway - dust people on the highway/get to Walmart really fast.

The new Pontiac GTO is effectively as quick as a Corvette C5. I hardly think that makes the C5 redundant, but I'm sure that sales *will* shrink a bit. Not everyone "gets" what makes it different if they're both getting through the 1/4 mile at roughly the same time.

add SC, if there are problems than that thing is really fast

Let's see the Neon in, oh....I don't know, how about 4 years. Let's compare it to a NSX that is oh.....I don't know, how about 10 years old.

Get the picture? Stop your complaining. Put a TF-39 High By-pass turbo fan in the largest motor home you can find and it will do the 1/4 mile in about 10 seconds.

Oh yeah, let's see the Neon at 170mph. The neon couldn't do 170mph if it were thrown out of an airplane at 10,000 feet.

this is a trivial point... but i personally strongly dislike Neon's, coz when i use "NeoNSX" outside of NSXprime, some people call me 'Neon' ... :mad: :p

It's bad enough having the tagname 'Neo' after the last two matrix films... without branding me a cheap domestic car. :D rofl...

<B>I Grok NSX</B>: i'd like to see a Neon thrown out of an airplane, regards of it reaching 170mph or not. Maybe Gheba or one of the mathmatical dudes on NSXprime can work out it's velocity after a 10,000ft drop. :)

Dodge Neon, are you kidding me? I don't get it. They weigh 2900 pounds and put out only 230 HP. I would take some serious modding to beat an NSX I would think. Am I missing some easy way for the Neon to add about 100 HP to beat the NSX?

jlindy said:
Dodge Neon, are you kidding me? I don't get it. They weigh 2900 pounds and put out only 230 HP. I would take some serious modding to beat an NSX I would think. Am I missing some easy way for the Neon to add about 100 HP to beat the NSX?

We just had one on the dyno that put down 229hp at the wheels and 235 ft. lbs right off the showroom floor. Dodge did something with the SRT that most of the car makers don't do - rate the car by wheel hp not flywheel.

The car does run high 13s out of the box...it will take you by suprise if you're not careful.

PaynNSX said:
We just had one on the dyno that put down 229hp at the wheels and 235 ft. lbs right off the showroom floor. Dodge did something with the SRT that most of the car makers don't do - rate the car by wheel hp not flywheel.

The car does run high 13s out of the box...it will take you by suprise if you're not careful.

I personally think it is false advertising for a company to underate the HP. It should be illegal. People sue like crazy when HP is overrated, why should a company be able to underrate it. The SRT-4 has been underrated since day one. I don't think they made any improvements this year, they just stated the HP closer to the real number.. which is near 250HP. There have been MANY articles done in professional magazines stating the car is way underrated... why is this OK??

jlindy said:

Yeah and the old turbo Eclipse/Talon (the Neon uses a Mitsu turbo setup) was 210 bhp flywheel and with a $79 manual boost controller and a $300 SAFC, it would lay down low 13's.

i think some of you are missing the point of the initial post.

he was simply saying that watching a $20k car keep up with an nsx was disheartening.

as for my opinion... the argument that the nsx is not a drag strip car is getting old. a car with a $90k sticker price should dominate a neon in every performance category. in a year or two, the only thing exotic about the nsx will be it's looks.

nicholas421 said:
i think some of you are missing the point of the initial post.
You must have not seen the posts by wildrice (which bashed the NSX) that were deleted. We were responding to those posts, not to the initial post.

nicholas421 said:
as for my opinion... the argument that the nsx is not a drag strip car is getting old. a car with a $90k sticker price should dominate a neon in every performance category. in a year or two, the only thing exotic about the nsx will be it's looks.

I agree 100%. Too many cars for under $50K and even $35K are way too close to the NSX in accelleration. Some of them can even hang on the racetrack. For $90K, the NSX should DESTROY them.

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but if the NSX were made by Porsche, the 2004 model would be 3.6L V6 with 380HP and we would not even be having this discussion.

I love my NSX, but frankly it pisses me off that a 20K neon is nearly as fast. I am sure I am not alone on that one.

In my opinion the neon is one of the best bang for the buck cars manufactured today. The attractive features of this car would be straight line acceleration and horsepower. But thats about it....I could careless about the appearance. I didn't buy my nsx to run the quartermile nor did I buy it for the horsepower. If these new cars are faster.....great good for them....I'm still happy as hell to have an nsx again. JMO

If straight line acceleration is that important to you......supercharge/turbocharge it and feel better!:)

NetViper said:
For $90K, the NSX should DESTROY them.

I love my NSX, but frankly it pisses me off that a 20K neon is nearly as fast. I am sure I am not alone on that one.
It doesn't bother me that much, actually. For one thing, few of us paid anywhere near $90k for our NSXs. My NSX cost little more than a modded Neon, and I think it's going to last a LOT longer.

Secondly, the NSX is a 14-year old design, it just happens to be one that's still in production. Do you think it bothers used Ferrari 308/348/Testarossa or Countach buyers that a $20k Neon is faster than their hand-built exotic? I don't. Maybe it would make some folks feel better if Honda stopped producing the NSX in its current form. JMHO.

Last edited:
FYI, in response to the original post, I believe 18 lbs. of boost would put the neon in the 12sec./qtr.mi. range. I'm not surprised he pulled on you; 18lbs. is a significant amount of pressure. That car was not stock.
You have an NSX, he has a frickin Neon.. nuff said.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that is what I am getting at. I do not mind that a Neon pulled me. What is bothering me is the guy claiming his car is running 13.4 at 106 when I think mine car is faster than that. Again, I have never timed my car and probably never will. I would just like to have an idea of how fast it is. Judging by the cars I have "played with" and the other cars I own and have owned, my car feels closer to 12.9 to 13.1 at 110. Has anyone timed there car with these exact mods? If this was all I cared about, I would have purchased something else. My sister has an authentic RUF Porsche (1 of 4 slant noses built that year, and 1 of about 20 total) This car is unbelievably fast (pulls my Yamaha R6 from 40mph) . Give me a choice between the two cars and I will take mine. Speed is nice though....If our cars ran 16 second 1/4 miles would we still love them as we do? Not for the fact that we are racing them through the 1/4, but because speed is another stimulate to our bodies. I roadrace bikes and promise
you when I hit the throttle coming out
of a corner, the 1/4 mile time counts!

My car run 13.3 @105 with similar mods. Remember though, that if you are not in the right gear, the turbo will win. Stock turbo cars such as Neon has a lot better midrange torque which means they can just mash the throttle and go in any gear where as in the NSX you would have to downshift in many cases. For example, I raced a near stock RX7TT from about 60mph... I was 1 car behind when I started from 3rd where as I pulled about 5 car length when I started in 2nd. But anyway, there are always faster cars than your car no matter what you do.

If you want some cheap assurance, get some Nawwwssss and you'll sure beat 80-90% of them.

JOPRIMO said:
Uh... what the hell is a "neon?"
Here. ;)

beaterz1.jpg

Neon SRT in parking lot

Okay, I'm walking in to work (will be here in Ontario California for a couple of weeks doing an audit) and I pass a bright yellow Neon four door with a big wing on the trunk. I glance at the tag and this is what it reads: VIPR JR :rolleyes:

NeoNSX said:
i'd like to see a Neon thrown out of an airplane, regards of it reaching 170mph or not. Maybe Gheba or one of the mathmatical dudes on NSXprime can work out it's velocity after a 10,000ft drop. :)

Ops, I missed this Neo! :p

I remember that it is estimated that the human body get the top speed when falling from above 1000m (1600 feet). Also it is not important if the body falls from 2,000 feet or 20,000 feet, the max speed will be reached anyway.

This speed is in case of an horizontal body (parachute divers) 200kmh (120mph) and can reach a TOP speed of 300kmh (190 mph) if falling in the best vertical position. :eek:

I would say that a car has an aerodynamic drag similar to the horizontal body... also the NEON will fall with max. speed 120-130 mph! No 170mph NEON anyway!

regards
Prof. Gheba :D

I can't really remember the last time someone filed a complaint for their car having more hp than it was supposed to have. It's like getting a bonus at your company and getting pissed off at them. The one problem i could see is this situation is that insurance companies might be unhappy. Usually insurance costs go up for faster higher hp cars so by under rating the hp I'm assuming GM is (purposely?) misleading insurance companies into giving their customers lower insurance rates since they're most likely not the most affluent. That's a pretty big generalization I'm making about their income, but if they did rate the hp correctly then it would be close to the hp of a basic 911 or NSX and buyers of those cars (new) are most likely making more $$ than a neon buyer.

NetViper said:
I personally think it is false advertising for a company to underate the HP. It should be illegal. People sue like crazy when HP is overrated, why should a company be able to underrate it. The SRT-4 has been underrated since day one. I don't think they made any improvements this year, they just stated the HP closer to the real number.. which is near 250HP. There have been MANY articles done in professional magazines stating the car is way underrated... why is this OK??

bit off

Vytas owns(owned?) a GSR with the plate "NSX JR" too:
The tag on my GSR is 'BABYNSX'.

it will take you by suprise if you're not careful
You couldn't be more right.

I personally think it is false advertising for a company to underate the HP. It should be illegal
Quite honestly that is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. Maybe it is good for insurance purposes????

I do not drag race
Not after getting it handed to you by a NEON !:D
j/k, I know what you mean though.

hey whats up guys... this is my first post here..:D

Just to clear up a few things..

I have had my car at 158 and it wanted to go further, but i didnt.

The 2004 Hp was increased because it received Stage 1 fuel injectors among other things... so the Flywheel and whp ratings went up....

An steve i wouldnt feel bad about the whole ET thing... You see the SRT-4 most likely ran that time at the track.. These cars have horrible traction problems and that's basically a huge limiting factor for us at a strip. We can lose to a decent car at the track, but then turn around and destroy that same car on a run from a roll...
So you experienced the SRT-4 in what it was meant to do.... get nasty on the highway...

my car...
wNDk2Mzc0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back