Do you like your Formula Red NSX?

Hello,

I have some questions for owners with Formula Red NSX.

1. Did you specifically want Formula Red?
2. Did you own other red cars before?
3. If Red was not the first choice, but you ended up buying one, did the color grow on you?

I am sorry for these questions. I know that Formula Red is the most popular color. However, I have never owned a red car, and both my wife and I are conservative in terms of colors (i.e. not courageous enough to explore cars with bright colors). I also worry that it may draw more attention (NSX draws so much attention already) than a black one may.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Absolutely LOVE it!!! Never owned a red car prior to my NSX. The only other color I would consider is Blue.

If you dont feel comfortable with bright colors, by all means dont get a bright color, it does draw attention, sometimes unwanted (police)....thats why they make them in different colors...different strokes... ;)

What makes you want to consider getting a red car?? (if you are)

When I was shopping around I was soley looking for a formula red. I love it but you do get some unwanted attention like NemesisX said. This is my first red car, but I figured if I was going to get a sports car it might as well be red! :p But if you don't want the attention, I would stay away from it and go with black, silver or white.

Let me start by saying that all the colors are awesome on the NSX and I could be happy with any of them.

Anyway, I always had black cars before the NSX. I absolutely LOVE the color and it has not diminished in the 7++ years of ownership. Still turn around and look back at her every time I drive it (which is pretty much every day as she is a daily driver unless it is going to snow/hail or something like that).

Absolutely stunning. When the Yellow first came out I thought that was "the" color but in truth it has worn out with me. I do love the blue but wonder if it too wont wear out for me.

Only other color that has grown in my appreciation is the white - mostly because of the Type-R affiliation. They are all fantastic so buy the color YOU love the most and enjoy a great looking car.

I love black! It looks amazing when clean however, it is the hardest to take care of. It only stays clean for about 5 minutes after a wash. :mad:

Silver and yellow are two of my top picks.

Red is a great color for a sports car but, personally I have had the worst luck with that color. A few to many tickets for my budget. ;)

I had a '85 red Celica GTS when I was in college, love the car and love the color. Even though they are many red NSX out there, but I was looking for one with tan interior only. The lighter color is cooler under the Texas heat and most importantly, it won't wears and tears as easily as black. Call me old fashion, to me, red is one of the few timeless color for a sports car.

Good luck!

Sam

I have owned two prior red cars 246 Dino, (red/tan) and a Fiat 124 spider red/black. Those were both over 25 years ago.

My wife and I are both very conservative and traditional. However, we have had some pretty nice cars. Mostly white in color. When we saw red/tan on an NSX that was then end of the search.

We previously wanted white or silverstone.....fortunately, the ones we found were not in the condition we sought. Finally found a couple of nice red ones and then bought the best of the two, no regrets at all.

We both get a kick most weekends when we go for coffee in the morning and park it where we can see it. We like watching people look at it and talk about it as we sit quietly near by and watch.

The car is just a head turner and it is stock with the exception of the '02 valance. I am going to do an exhaust next with a nice 4" polished stainless rolled edge tip on each side.

I may consider wheels next - probably 17/18's. I want to keep the same basic look, but go to a nice open clean simple 5 spoke wheel that is easy to clean and does not detract from the car itself. I am open to finishes, except anything chrome or gold. No offense, but not our style. I like the gunmetal finish a lot and what I would probably put in the number one position.

Any thoughts, pictures, suggestions? Thanks all.

Get BLUE or if not, I think that the silver ones are great. Silver has the distinct advantage of hiding dirt better than the other colors and definitely more subtle. With the Monte Carlo Blue, the first comment is always about the beautiful color and then the car.

Tim

jorligan said:
Get BLUE or if not, I think that the silver ones are great. Silver has the distinct advantage of hiding dirt better than the other colors and definitely more subtle. With the Monte Carlo Blue, the first comment is always about the beautiful color and then the car.

Tim
White hides dirt the best. I have had white in the past is why I say.
My current TL hides dirt alright but not great.
You are dead on about the beauty of the Blue though. :)

92NSX said:
White hides dirt the best. I have had white in the past is why I say.
:)

I 100% disagree. My white NSX does NOT hide dirt well at all. I would say silver does a much better job.

92NSX said:
Let me guess, your TL hides better than NSX??? :confused:

Oh hell no... black is the WORST. :D (wife choice)

On a side note, I saw a silver TL yesterday with the factory body it on it... WOW, it was gorgeous. Looked way better than ours. I looked it up on acura.com and its like an extra grand!

NetViper said:
Oh hell no... black is the WORST. :D (wife choice)

On a side note, I saw a silver TL yesterday with the factory body it on it... WOW, it was gorgeous. Looked way better than ours. I looked it up on acura.com and its like an extra grand!

I hear ya, I used to have a black Integra(I know, big shock) and I HATED :mad: trying to keep that thing clean. Then when I was looking at TL the salesman tried to talk me into it. I told him no way.
I am very happy with my color choice on the car. The body kit does look good but you are right, the price is $$$ :eek:

92NSX said:
. The body kit does look good but you are right, the price is $$$ :eek:

Seriously... I don't understand why they want so much. They REPLACE all the peices. (front, sides, rear) So really, why should it be more than a couple hundred bucks. It is not like they have to throw out the old body parts. It is more like a swap.. but really not even that because when you order the car, you never got the non-bodykit parts.

Back on topic... When I bought my first NSX:

1. No - I was looking for a silver or black NSX.
2. Yes - Although it was not my first choice for my other cars, I always seemed to end up with red.
3. Absolutely - Formula is a gorgeous shade of red. Even now that I have the silver NSX that I originally wanted, I occasionally wish I could have a red one. As Nick said, it’s hard to go wrong with any color. Red, however, is the color I remember when I first saw the NSX and will always look great. I am certain red attracts more attention, but I would not consider that a reason not to get this color.

Last edited:
What is there besides RED??

Nothing turns heads like RED

I spent over six months searching for my 95. I looked at just about every color and even considered a really sweet white but my heart was set on RED and I am so incredibly happy that I stuck to my plan and waited for the right year and color. I had a spoiler painted blind by just providing the color code and when it arrived it was a perfect match. What more can you say except this RED holds up incredibly well. :D :D :D

I really LOVE the red/black! Monte Carlo Blue would be my second choice but only as a Targa. But there's no color looking so wet then RED after detailing and waxing with Zymöl or other premium waxes. :) The drawback here in Europe is that everyone thinks it's a Ferrari at first sight.

Greetings,
Thomas

I didn't have a choice in what color I wanted. The car was too good of a deal to pass up. I remember the conversation going like this ...you have a nsx for sale? ..i want it...how many miles? 8k? what!? ok, i'll pick it up tomorrow...wait, what color is it? red..cool!!

I have to admit that the first thing I wanted to do was to color match the roof, but after a while and especially window tinting, the color scheme grew on me. :)

NetViper said:
I 100% disagree. My white NSX does NOT hide dirt well at all. I would say silver does a much better job.

I am with Netviper, the dust/exhaust buildup on the rear bumper and bugs on the front are the main offenders. I find myself cleaning after every drive, but it sure does look good!

Re red, I was in the same spot as Tiger. Personally, if I could go back and pick 91-94s again based on color, I would pick white, green or silver. Good luck!

Back