pbassjo said:
By the way. "The City" is NEW YORK CITY, no place else.:

Ah, the BIG APPLE! Let em know Joe:biggrin:

yo docl "is it safe?"

me & the boys will be payn' you'se a little visit
in a couple weeks there...:tongue:
capisce??
biggrin-suprise2.gif

I lived in Northern Ca. for 14 yrs. (my ex is a native of the Bay Area) I found living in numerous places around the country that pronunciations and nicknames almost always are different when speaking to locals vs. out of towners.

San Francisco
Local........The City
Tourist......Frisco

New Orleans
Local New Or-le-uns (long e...short u) or New orlins (short i)
Tourist New Orleeeens or nawlins (created by tourist who never get the accent right)

Southern Ca.

Locals SoCal
norther californians The place i wouldn't live on a bet....give me my water back....waaaa....waaaa......waaaaaa:biggrin:

etc. etc.

akira3d said:
I grew up in (and recently moved back to) "the South Bay". I'm not talking about "the Bay Area" either. Does anyone living outside of L.A. County know this region by that moniker?
Not that I'm aware of outside Orange or LA Counties. When people say South Bay, I ask San Jose? Confused the heck out of me when I first moved to SoCal, along with naming the freeways instead of just having the numbers... And don't get me on the water bit- LA steals it from everybody- even other parts of SoCal! It's funny to run into LA Water District signs 200+ miles from LA... They're probably the only LA signs that have never been vandalized!

akira3d said:
I grew up in (and recently moved back to) "the South Bay". I'm not talking about "the Bay Area" either. Does anyone living outside of L.A. County know this region by that moniker?
Yes, for those of us San Diegans, it usually refers to parts of town that include Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, etc. :D

BTW, I've watched L.A. newscasts call it "South Bay", but what "Bay" are they referring to in the L.A. County "South Bay"? :confused:

Patdeisa said:
Confused the heck out of me when I first moved to SoCal, along with naming the freeways instead of just having the numbers...
I'm with you on that freeway name issue. I like sticking to the numbers. I-5, I-405, the 101, the 91, etc. That I know. I have no idea what Santa Ana Freeway is, nor Long Beach Freeway. Heck, why call it the San Diego Freeway, if it isn't even in San Diego? :confused:

FuryNSX said:
BTW, I've watched L.A. newscasts call it "South Bay", but what "Bay" are they referring to in the L.A. County "South Bay"? :confused:

"South Bay" refers to the proximity of beaches and cities relative to Santa Monica Bay.

Interesting...when I do a search for "South Bay" on Wikipedia, the L.A. County region comes up first, followed by "San Fran", and then San Diego. :D

akira3d said:
"South Bay" refers to the proximity of beaches and cities relative to Santa Monica Bay.
Okay, that makes sense now.

akira3d said:
Interesting...when I do a search for "South Bay" on Wikipedia, the L.A. County region comes up first, followed by "San Fran", and then San Diego. :D
Freakin' Wikipedia has an L.A. bias!!! Grrrrrrrr. :D

LL Cool J.

"I'm going back to Cali."

Since that song came out everyone from Cali that I know has called it that.

I visited a friend in SD a few months ago and nearly everyone asked me if it was my first time in Cali. If you live in Cali and think that the locals don't call it that, you must live with tin foil on your windows.

isellpower said:
LL Cool J.

"I'm going back to Cali."

I visited a friend in SD a few months ago and nearly everyone asked me if it was my first time in Cali. If you live in Cali and think that the locals don't call it that, you must live with tin foil on your windows.
1) LL Cool J is from Queens, NY. Hardly a good source for Native California language.
2) The folks you met on your trip to San Diego were either: (a) transplants, (b) kooks, (c) hodads or (d) barneys. Few native Californians refer to their state as Cali.:biggrin:

isellpower said:

As I mentioned when I brought up LL Cool J's song in an earlier post, I do not refer to California as "Cali".

chalk another one up for the "NorCal/SoCal"
You guys are pretty much a whole different state. you just share electoral votes.... and steal water.

I went to the [SIZE=-1]Schwarzenegger vs Angelides debate yesterday at SacState. Some people were handing out "Cali Students Vote" buttons to all the people who were there for the tailgate party (free food outside outside with tv's around to watch the debate as no one was allowed indoors).[/SIZE]

Back