Dissillusioned

Please make this the
imbum_7496_imbum__uh.gif
end.

NetViper said:
How many Mclaren F1's are there the US? I know Jay Leno has one.. and there is one in TX. Thats all i know of.

speaking of jay, did anyone see the late night show of him driving the mini? they apparently got one from the movie "the italian job"....i gotta admit he's a very skilled driver and crazy.....

Funny,there is a very similar thread ongoing at s2k international that has a familiar sounding poster(crossposter)that is quite typical of the "my opinion is fact" banter.It"s in the car talk subforum.

I'm not going to address any of the other issues, but something puzzles me...

You say "Furthermore most people do not know what it is and merely class it as another Jap sports car: MR2, Supra, 3000GTO etc."

Why is it then, that driving NSXs, most of us regularly have people running off the road to look at it? (Gee, where do you drive your car?)

But the funniest part is your "cure" is to buy a Porsche Carrera 2? Let me give you a clue, if you're worried about folks confusing it with others cars, that's pretty assinine.

Buy one, and you're just going to have every unitiated viewer of the car confusing it with all of the jillions of Porsches with that same basic body shell made for the last 35+ years.

Sounds like you do need a Ferrari. You should buy one. Then you can see what reliability really means.

I will throw in my 2 cents here with everyone else... I count not disagree with UFO more, I have owned an 88 Ferrari TR / and a 96 355 Berlinetta, as well as a 96 Porsche C4, and now I have a Lamborghini and an NSX as fun cars ... and I can say with all honesty, my 91 NSX is a FAR better car than any of them. It starts EVERY day, I cant say that about either Ferrari I have had. Further, my TR permanently stained my garage floor with oil, and even the 355 leaked a fair amount, said by Ferrari Toronto to be nothing they could do anything about unless the engine was completely rebuilt, both cars having less than 25k on them. Further, both Ferraris had almost constant issues with electric, I have never had a prob. with my NSX and after a year of ownership it has cost me only $1400 (60k service and tires) ... and each Ferrari cost me about 6-7k in service (without upgrades) owning each for only 2 years. When I sold the 355, the new owner didnt care about or pay extra for the 3k Tubi exhaust, or upgraded Challange brakes (4k) on the 355, so I don't think pointing out that upgrades don't return $ when you sell the car is a valid point ... you don't get your $ out of them with any car. The Porsche was not a faster car, nor did it get the attention the NSX does, plus it was almost boring to drive, and the fact that is has 2 rear seats is for insurance only ... no-one over about 6 can fit back there! I have had more looks with the NSX and had more people come up and ask my about this car than anything else I have owned. It handles better than any other car I have had, and it would whip a stock 993, TR or 355 with ease. I drive it almost every day, weather permitting, and would never be without one again.

UFO... The people in this forum are conusors of the NSX, that is why the tweek them, adding exhaust, wheels, and other upgrades ... not to make them more modern, but to enhance performance abilities and add a personal touch to an almost perfectly designed car. I think if you really do own one, you should understand that.

UFO,
Living in Europe, I will give you my 2 cents as well, although it will be just my opinion of course.

I don't quite understand why you mix reliability with the way people will respond to you showing up with a NSX.
The NSX is very reliable and I don't see you arguing that.
As far a how people receive it, I don't experience much difference between the NSX and Porsches or Ferraris. Where I live the NSX is much more exclusive than either even to the point that most people will not even recognize the NSX. That doesn't bother me at all. Actually, standing next to a Porsche the NSX will practically always get more attention than the P-car. I see Porsches every day (and they are not very common where I live) and most people don't even notice them.

User-friendly? I have driven the NSX for 35000km in the last 12 months and never felt the steering heavy nor the car uncomfortable. Throttle response? It depends of course in what gear you're in and at what rpm. I don't have real complaints there. The clutch in my car is not heavy at all though I have felt it different in other NSX's.

The NSX is a expensive car to upgrade, I agree on that, but so are the P and the F-car as well. Sport exhaust you don't really need. Brake upgrade, start with good pads first. Bigger wheels, that's mostly cosmetic and nothing else.

Handling. I just love the handling of the car. I yes, I can push it on the road but if you do so you will usually exceed official limits. That goes for every sportscar in this class. But then again, maybe people drive more agressive here in Europe than they do in the US. That doesn't necessarily mean unsafe but maybe we push the car a bit more. I know I like to push the car a bit, especially in turns etc. Am I speeding at such times? Yes, I admit, I often am.

If you think the current HP is not enough you might be dissappointed with the P and F as well. Power grows on you, you get used to it very quickly. I know I have.
Getting a newer and faster car is always nice. If you feel the need to do so then just do it. But you might be spending big time money on a car you might feel the same way after a short while again. You're entitled to your opinion and only you know why you want a certain car or not but for me, the NSX fills my needs exactly.

Anyway, have fun with whatever car you will change to.

Back