Dissillusioned

I have owned my 1993 NSX for 2 years now, but I think that its time to change. My reasons are as follows, and would like to know if its just me, or if others share my thoughts:

1. The car was bought as a very realible "ferrari" alternative, i.e. shares the looks but not garage bills. After 2 years of ownership this does not seem to hold true. Yes is super realible, but it does not get the respect that a ferrari attracts, nor does it look even remotly as handsome as current ferraris. Furthermore most people do not know what it is and merely class it as another Jap sports car: MR2, Supra, 3000GTO etc

2. Although it was user friendly in 1991, it cannot claim to be so in this day and age. Non power steering make it difficult as an everyday car, the clutch is not as light as it could be, and the throtle response the same.

3. It seems that a fortune is needed to bring it up to current spec such as 17/18 inch alloys, sports exhaust, upgraded brakes etc. This is money that will not be recouped once you come to sell the car.

4. The legendary handling. Yes is shines on a track but it cannot be pushed to such extremes on the road. I find that I have the most fun with my car on the track and not on the road.

5. Power - 280bhp is simply not enough

OK to sum up. This is a 1990s car trying to mix it in 2003. Its great on the track, but even there it lack outright speed. It cannot be used as an everyday vehicle without certain comprimises, and it requires overall upgrade from wheels, to brakes, exhaust etc.

I am looking at a car that is right up to date, on the cutting edge, and evolving and improving by the day - Porsche 911. You can have a 1998 Carrera 2 with 300bhp, fantastic brakes, 6 speed, room for 4, discrete, an everyday vehicle with a badge only second to Ferrari, but built as good as the NSX. Gentlemen, I rest my case.

i agree with you....only because you've already given more cons than pros of keeping your NSX.

we hate to lose another member and i'm not going to convince you to keep the X either.

everyone has their preference and reasons for a car so i say do whatever makes you feel like a million bucks.

if you're willing to overlook the high maintenance costs and reliability of a ferrari or any car out there, by all means go for your dream! i would if i have $10k lying around for maintenance a year.

If you have rested, than you have lost.
First the Porsche 993 is not 300hp it is 272-280 depending on who's quoting the HP. To get to 300hp you need a 3.8ltr motor.
That is 14-16k depending on who does the motor, unless you live in ROW where they are plentiful. Back to your 98 993 which by the way is one of my favorite cars. The NSX will outrun it, out handle it. Unless you have the 993tt brakes on your 993, it may not out brake the NSX .

993 room for 4 they better be kids in the back. Cutting edge technology, you mean the 996. The 993 is based on the same engine block that Porsche has been using for eons.
The varioram is nice.
Having both cars, you are not getting an advantage over the NSX.
Maybe a percieved value by some.

Your reasons for getting rid of the NSX, will not be answered by getting the 993. Just buck up and buy the Ferrari.
Then you are not settling. You can get a 355 for less tha 90k these days.

Last edited:
So let me see, you got a used '93 NSX in 2001 and complaining how unreliable it is? Any used car that was not cared for by the previous owner will be unreliable. Your claim that the car is unreliable cannot be justified unless we know the whole history of the car.

I've owned a 3000GT before, and my friends had a Supra. I personally don't think its in the same league as the NSX, but that's me. I honestly think you got the NSX for all the wrong reasons. (The car has 270hp by the way, and 290 for 97+ (both for manuals only).

I really don't understand the point of this post as it seems you have already made up your mind.

There are NSX owners here that also own 993 Carreras. I bet they can give you their unbiased 2 cents.

Last edited:
the 1998 Carrera 2 is the 996 not the 993, and it came with 300bhp. The 2002 996 comes with 320bhp. Constant evolution and improvement. I feel that Acura has sold us short!

It seems like you already made your decision ufo 1. There are a bunch of people looking for a nice clean NSX. Why don't you post it for sale here. This way someone who appreciates the car for what it is can get one for a fair price.

Please don't take this as a flame, everyone has their own opinion and I agree with some of your points. But the fact is that I like the car for exactly what it was built for; enjoyable driving with reliability second to none in an exotic.

Oh yeah, I think that you'll agree that both the Ferrari and Porsche shine more on the track than on the street. But it's the owners that never give it a chance.

-Good Luck, sorry to see your leave this fine club of NSX ownership.

& Trollin on the river &;)

ufo 1 said:
the 1998 Carrera 2 is the 996 not the 993, and it came with 300bhp. The 2002 996 comes with 320bhp. Constant evolution and improvement. I feel that Acura has sold us short!

1998 Carrera 2 is the 993 , 996 was in 99. Are you in europe? ROW? Then there may be a difference in the years. If so then fine. The 996 is a plastic filled, modular unit built POS.
You would be better off with the 98 (993) it's lighter and built much better. The 996 was/is a margin Ho! that is why Porsche is changing it.

I agree the NSX could use more power, It just doesn't need it to slam the 996, depending on where you are.
Add FI to the NSX and the only P-cars with any hope are the Twin turbos.

To the vets I know I shouldn't have bit, but I was bored.

ufo 1 said:
My reasons are as follows, and would like to know if its just me, or if others share my thoughts

It's just you. It's entirely just you.

I disagree with much of what you stated. Obviously, if you want a change, make a change. But I cannot agree with your reasons for doing so, and I certainly don't think the car you are thinking of getting is going to satisfy you. For example:

ufo 1 said:
1. The car was bought as a very realible "ferrari" alternative, i.e. shares the looks but not garage bills. After 2 years of ownership this does not seem to hold true. Yes is super realible, but it does not get the respect that a ferrari attracts, nor does it look even remotly as handsome as current ferraris. Furthermore most people do not know what it is and merely class it as another Jap sports car: MR2, Supra, 3000GTO etc

Did you get the car because of how YOU will like it, or how OTHER PEOPLE will like it? If you got it because you wanted other people to think highly of you, well... I won't comment on what that indicates. But if you want a Ferrari because other people will say, "Ooooh, a Ferrari", then a Porsche 911 isn't going to satisfy you, either.

ufo 1 said:
2. Although it was user friendly in 1991, it cannot claim to be so in this day and age. Non power steering make it difficult as an everyday car, the clutch is not as light as it could be, and the throtle response the same.

I find that the steering is perfect! Power steering is something that I would look for if I wanted a luxury car - in which case I would want an automatic transmission, too, for the exact same reasons you state. But I don't want a luxury car; I want a sports car. If you are looking for a luxury car with power everything, you probably aren't going to be happy with a Porsche 911, either.

ufo 1 said:
3. It seems that a fortune is needed to bring it up to current spec such as 17/18 inch alloys, sports exhaust, upgraded brakes etc. This is money that will not be recouped once you come to sell the car.

There is absolutely no need to change the wheels, exhaust, brakes, etc. They are all perfectly fine. If you want to upgrade, by all means do so. But do it because you will enjoy having the equipment on your car, not because you want to recoup the investment. If you're worried about recouping your money, your stock '93 NSX will be a far, far better investment than, say, a '98 Porsche 911. (No diss towards the Porsche's market value; that's as much a reflection of the higher rate of depreciation for a five year old car than a ten year old car, along with the relatively strong market prices for the early NSXs.) In fact, if you paid a fair price for it two years ago, you'll probably get back pretty close to what you paid for it. Don't count on that with a '98 911.

ufo 1 said:
4. The legendary handling. Yes is shines on a track but it cannot be pushed to such extremes on the road. I find that I have the most fun with my car on the track and not on the road.

If you feel that way about the NSX, you will almost certainly feel the same way about the '98 Porsche 911 - which, based on my own time behind the wheel of that car, does not offer the razor-sharp handling of the NSX.

ufo 1 said:

If the 270 hp (not 280) of the '93 NSX is not enough for you, then I can assure you that the 282 hp (not 300) of the '98 911 will not be enough for you, either.

ufo 1 said:
I am looking at a car that is right up to date, on the cutting edge, and evolving and improving by the day - Porsche 911. You can have a 1998 Carrera 2 with 300bhp, fantastic brakes, 6 speed, room for 4, discrete, an everyday vehicle with a badge only second to Ferrari, but built as good as the NSX.

Nonsense. The Porsche 911 is no more livable on an everyday basis than the NSX is. Its performance is no better than the NSX, either. Cutting edge? The '98 is no more cutting edge than the '98 NSX. Evolving and improving? Sure - but you're not considering their newest models (e.g. GT3) that reflect this. 6 speed? Sure, just like the NSX of the same vintage and market value. Room for four? Obviously you have never sat in the rear seat of the 911. Discrete? Hardly. Built as good as the NSX? You're joking about that part, right?

The 911 is a very nice car, and I am not criticizing it here (aside from some specific details). However, virtually everything you say you don't like about your NSX, is equally true about the 911 you're considering, or would be remedied with the '98 NSX. Frankly, I think you are going to be just as unhappy with the 911 C2 as you are with your '93 NSX, and I bet you get rid of it, too, within two years.

Based on the comments you make about livability and power and such, I think you would be much better off getting something like a Mercedes E55 AMG - with its (1) prestige, (2) user-friendly luxury features, (3) lack of mods needed, (4) does as well on the road as on the track, and (5) 469 hp. Or, possibly, one of its competitors, such as the Audi RS6 or the BMW M5. Re-read your comments and face it - you don't want a sports car. A car like the E55 AMG has the things you say you're looking for. A '98 911 C2 doesn't.

Last edited:
ufo, that is certainly your perogative. We're all auto enthusiasts here, and are open minded toward other cars. The NSX isn't the "be-all, end-all" for most of us, but just because it no longer meets your criteria doesn't mean it doesn't offer anything to other people.

P.S., what's the point of registering here just to tell us you're getting rid of your NSX? You didn't care enough to join the community when you got your NSX, why start now when you're terminating your NSX ownership?
:confused:

In response to your points

1. The car was bought as a very reliable "ferrari" alternative, i.e. shares the looks but not garage bills. After 2 years of ownership this does not seem to hold true. Yes is super realible, but it does not get the respect that a ferrari attracts, nor does it look even remotly as handsome as current ferraris. Furthermore most people do not know what it is and merely class it as another Jap sports car: MR2, Supra, 3000GTO etc.
This is a very subjective opinion. We can't argue on the looks, you either like it or don't. As for respect, if that's what you're concerned about, it doesn't matter what car you get, there will always be someone who won't respect it.

I guess it depends on how you value power steering. The clutch feel is pretty specific to each NSX. Mine was fine.

When you say current specs. it seems more like you talk about looks. The wheels, exhaust and brake will not bring it to current performance specs. of the vehicles you compare it to. And you're right you will not get the money back, but that's not why you modify it, right?

I agree here. But isn't this trie for most cars?

5. Power - 280bhp is simply not enough.
The 1993 has 270hp.

OK to sum up. This is a 1990s car trying to mix it in 2003. Its great on the track, but even there it lack outright speed. It cannot be used as an everyday vehicle without certain comprimises, and it requires overall upgrade from wheels, to brakes, exhaust etc.
Your 93 NSX itself is not trying to mix in with 2003. You are trying to mix it in with 2003. You car is 10 years old! You compare it to a 2003, it has the power steering, it has the bigger wheels, it has bigger brakes... everything you complained about.

nsxtasy said:
Because he doesn't really own a '93 NSX, perhaps?
Definitely smells fishy to me.

troll.gif

i agree with all my fellow NSX members.....if you want something different (a badge perhaps) then get it. there's no reason to use the X as a means to justify your new purchase.

if you like something, buy it. don't buy it because you want to think it's better than what you had. it'll become an endless pursuit that will get you nowhere......

in this round, you are the weakest link......goodbye!

The problem with posting a "I dont think my NSX is super" is that some people out there just cant accept it. All that I am trying to say is that after 2 years of NSX ownership I feel its time to move on to something better. It seems to me that some people cannot accept that there will ever be anything better than a 1993 car which was designed in 1990. Things have moved on, thats why most posts on this site are about modifications and improvements. But I ask you this: if the nsx is so great why is it that in the UK in the last 2 years they have only sold around 10 cars per YEAR! Porsche has sold over 3,000 996s!

Dr.Lane said:
Then again, we (NSX owners) "Don't need no stinkin' badges!" :D

yes...some even go through tons of work to get a honda badge......we humble people.

:D

ufo 1 said:
The problem with posting a "I dont think my NSX is super" is that some people out there just cant accept it. All that I am trying to say is that after 2 years of NSX ownership I feel its time to move on to something better. It seems to me that some people cannot accept that there will ever be anything better than a 1993 car which was designed in 1990. Things have moved on, thats why most posts on this site are about modifications and improvements. But I ask you this: if the nsx is so great why is it that in the UK in the last 2 years they have only sold around 10 cars per YEAR! Porsche has sold over 3,000 996s!

i never knew higher production meant better.....or more popular for that matter.

ufo 1 said:

http://vista.pca.org/stl/993.htm

Last year for the 993 was 1998 in the US. Do a search for yourself if you don't believe me.

Here's another site:
1998 911 Carrera Targa Edmunds Review

This thread should be closed as it seems like this guy registered just to start a flame war with us.

I have had many Porsches, and to be honest, the only Porsche that I would replace my NSX with is the 996 turbo. I now have a C4 and it is indeed a nice car, but does not handle, or have the power of the NSX. However, it is a great car for my location, because I can drive it in the snow. Don't get me wrong, I love Porsches, but it is not a better car than the NSX.

If you think that you will like the Porsche better, then that is what I would get. After all we are talking about 2 sweet cars. Good luck with the Porsche and maybe I will see you on the Rennlist forums.

Rob

1. The car was bought as a very realible "ferrari" alternative, i.e. shares the looks but not garage bills. After 2 years of ownership this does not seem to hold true. Yes is super realible, but it does not get the respect that a ferrari attracts, nor does it look even remotly as handsome as current ferraris.

Huh? I get lots of props driving my NSX anywhere in California. Maybe you should wash and wax it.

the clutch is not as light as it could be, and the throtle response the same.

Try getting a 1997+ clutch package. If the throttle response isn't that good, maybe your car needs some routine maintaince like a new filter, plugs, throttle body service, etc.

All those upgrades are not necessary. As far as recouping the costs, why not save your stock parts to put back on the car when you decide to sell it and then recoupe some money.

Try going on a canyon run with the NOC guys if you are in California.

270bhp from the factory. If you need more, try headers, chip, SC, turbo.

I am looking at a car that is right up to date, on the cutting edge, and evolving and improving by the day

Tryout a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII.

BTW, how much do you want for your NSX?

ufo 1 said:
It seems that a fortune is needed to bring it up to current spec such as 17/18 inch alloys, sports exhaust, upgraded brakes etc. This is

You probably only spent $35k on your used NSX anyway so what's the problem?

(that is assuming you do indeed own an NSX but mysteriously never joined this board until you decided to become a Porsche groupie)

A clean used NSX remains the best value and best kept secret of the sportscar establishment.

Period.

BTW, no one here has any illusions about the NSX. We just like it - for what it is and for what it isn't.

Last edited:
ufo 1 said:
The problem with posting a "I dont think my NSX is super" is that some people out there just cant accept it. All that I am trying to say is that after 2 years of NSX ownership I feel its time to move on to something better.
WTF?! :mad:

What's the point of coming here to incite us? You've definitely proved yourself to be a troll beyond a reason of doubt.

worst.jpg

will this garage satisfy you? in two years maybe these aren't good enough for you.....

Attachments

• cool_garage1.jpg
    cool_garage1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 899
Hey, comic relief like this is always welcome on a Friday afternoon, when we're looking forward to the weekend...
roflmao.gif

Back