discussion : Discontinued Parts

-
As much as we don't want a list of discontinued parts, that list will become more useful as the years pass
Search didn't turn up a list so I'm creating this as a placeholder thread (perhaps it belongs in Wiki ? )
Format: Part Number - Description
-
xxxx-xxxxxxxx unobtanium part

It will be difficult to build a list of discontinued parts that's meaningful.

One issue is that there are many discontinued parts for the early cars, yet similar parts are still available for the later model cars. An example of this is the headlight adjusters. The part # for the early cars is 33129-SL0-A01 and listed as discontinued. But part # 33129-SL0-N11 from later cars is an improved design that's 100% compatible with the older cars. However Acura was unable to tell me if it was compatible or not. Nobody on this forum seemed to know the answer either. I only learned the truth by buying it and trying to install it.

Another issue is that many parts listed as discontinued in the US parts system are not listed as discontinued in the Japan parts system. An example of this is the A/C compressor clutch (38900-PR7-A03) which is discontinued in the US. This same part number is currently being "built to order" with a 1 month lead time when ordered from Honda in Japan.

I have also noticed that discontinued status is not always set in stone. There have been parts such as the NSX-R engine cover that were discontinued only to reappear later under a different part number.

I have heard a nasty rumor that parts will start being discontinued and already are...so stock up on parts you know you're going to need.

Or better yet, we all need to contact Honda of North America and demand that they keep all NSX parts available...

I have heard a nasty rumor that parts will start being discontinued and already are...so stock up on parts you know you're going to need.

Or better yet, we all need to contact Honda of North America and demand that they keep all NSX parts available...

My experience with Accord and Civic has been that OEM parts availability starts to become bad after about 20 years. The 91 NSX is now 25 years old yet it currently has far better parts availability than any Accord or Civic of the same age. Since the 2005 NSX is only 10 years old and the vast majority of its parts can be fitted onto a 91, I tend to think that parts availability will be good for the next 10 years or so. What we should really be asking is what critical parts on the early cars have no compatible parts on the later cars, especially parts that cannot be easily rebuilt and no aftermarket parts exist.

On the 02+ cars with the "vivid" interior colors, there are already interior pieces that are discontinued. For example, my orange interior was only used on 41 cars and only available in North America. So a very limited amount of spare interior parts were produced. A couple years ago, a retired executive from Honda Parts and Distribution, told me that the cars with the rare colored interiors will find the majority of those parts discontinued. After that, the Honda default color will be black or tan. He advised me to get those parts that tend to wear out or damage over time. For instance, seat leather, the door speaker covers, the plastic door sill pieces etc. I got the carpet, seat leather and speaker covers.

Last edited:

I agree! Perhaps we should all engage in a letter writing campaign to Honda to urge them to continue to make parts available for our cars. This will eventually become a big problem for every one of us.

Most all of the accessories... Cover, Map Pocket, Wheel Locks (our part number), Cassette Cleaner... that stuff

What we should really be asking is what critical parts on the early cars have no compatible parts on the later cars, especially parts that cannot be easily rebuilt and no aftermarket parts exist.

Agree, that's an excellent point BB

.. so I'm creating this as a placeholder thread (perhaps it belongs in Wiki ? )
Unfortunately the Wiki continues to be in a suspended state but I like the idea that we should have a way for people to comment on specific discontinued parts .. and if Acura formally acknowledges a similar replacement .. plus comments from other who may have found alternatives, either in aftermarket or from other Honda/Acura products. Although a nice long table of part numbers might seem like the optimum, the least effort way is for people to just add to this thread and a Google search should find it. The other approach might be to have the NSXCA work with Acura to get a current list but I think that's going to be unwieldy to put up on this site.

What I found today, 1991-1996 Intake Manifold plates

17112-PR7-A00 - 1991-1996
17112-PR7-A01 - Replaced above, 1991 - 1996

1991-2001 Harness covers
32114-PR7-A00
32129-PR7-A00

Back