Defi ZD in dash modification

I just finished putting my NSX back together after replacing headgaskets and refreshing the motor. I'm happy to say it hasn't exploded yet :)

While everything was apart, I decided to install a Defi ZD multi-display. I like knowing my oil and water temps, and oil pressure, but also wanted to stay away from a trio of gauges like I once had in my S2000.

The Defi gauges are very attractive, but I've grown into liking a more clean and oem look for my street cars, especially the NSX. The Defi ZD gauge is an all in one package, and is much more compact.

The ZD still isn't something I wanted to just mount on my dash, so I found my perfect place for it; behind the radio screen. I originally gutted the stock Bose headunit since it died anyway, and just kept the face in the car to maintain the original layout. The ZD screen size fits well behind the radio lens.

Also, some pictures of the sensor locations. Oil pressure spliced from the OEM oil pressure gauge unit, and routed to the firewall. Oil temp from a cedar ridge baffled oil pan. Water temp from an adapter in the coolant engine out line.

Hope you guys enjoy the idea and pictures. Thanks for reading.

Mike B

Last edited:
Very creative. Is it a permanent setting? How do you or can you access the menu or setting of the zd unit? By using the radio button number 7 & 8??

Very stealth. I like it.

Very creative. Is it a permanent setting? How do you or can you access the menu or setting of the zd unit? By using the radio button number 7 & 8??

Very stealth. I like it.

Thanks BTL. I connected the (6 & 7) preset buttons to the (select & set) buttons with little spacers, so I can still access the settings. Would be lame otherwise :wink:

Mike B

Very cool indeed man, great work. All you need now is some power so that a Subaru Outback doesn't dust ya.:biggrin:

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing, would love to do this if I ever needed gauges.

Very cool indeed man, great work. All you need now is some power so that a Subaru Outback doesn't dust ya.:biggrin:

That is so clean! Hope I can get a setup going like that one day.

Thanks guys. If you ever decide to do it, let me know. I don't mind sharing the install process.

Mike B

Bravo, I love it when people go the extra mile to make things seamless. Great job.

That is a really cool idea! Nicely done :)

btw.. so glad you didn't go the 3 gauge pillar mount. new cars with really big/thick A pillars are already annoying to drive. it's hard enough to see!

The thin pillars on the NSX is one of the best things about the cockpit. I love your build.

Brilliant!

That is a really cool idea! Nicely done :)

Thanks!

btw.. so glad you didn't go the 3 gauge pillar mount. new cars with really big/thick A pillars are already annoying to drive. it's hard enough to see!

The thin pillars on the NSX is one of the best things about the cockpit. I love your build.

Thanks Ryu. I agree. I felt like I had to look around the gauges when making lefts in the S2000.
Hopefully see you and Kuni on Thursday!

Mike B

I agree. Even the twin pillar pod, I bought it, test fitted it, hated it, and now it listed for very cheap in the pay it forward forum. I went with the ash tray pod. I hate having to give up my cabin sensor fan though. Another member here is working on this though so the future is looking bright.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks BTL. I connected the (6 & 7) preset buttons to the (select & set) buttons with little spacers, so I can still access the settings. Would be lame otherwise :wink:

Mike B
Question, does the radio even work now though? How do you navigate through the functions? Not trying to dog it, just curious. It's really cool. Also, does it come in Amber illumination to match Oem?

Really clean setup - awesome job!

Clean job, Mike.

Awesome. Very innovative! R.I.P. OEM head unit. lol

Thanks guys :)

Question, does the radio even work now though? How do you navigate through the functions? Not trying to dog it, just curious. It's really cool. Also, does it come in Amber illumination to match Oem?

@Jinks his radio died so it didn't matter to him anyways.

The radio was malfunctioning when I first got the NSX, so I gutted the headunit (and removed the rear antenna to save weight) and replaced it with an amp and bluetooth setup. I just hardwired the amp straight to the speakers so it's able to play music from my phone. So the headunit is basically a dummy face, with a functioning volume control for my bluetooth and the Defi installed behind the lens. The face does not light up since all the guts were taken out.

The Defi comes with one color which is what is shown in the pictures. It's a lighter amber than the oem, but I'm happy with the color. I can't really ask for a better setup for my needs :)

Mike B

Cool, so you can still use the stereo in the car. That's a nice feature.

That's is amazing stuff right there, well done, most people will overlook it.

Thanks. I'll usually just have people sit in the car and turn it on. I've had a couple of car friends at first glance, not notice it is there and just assume the readout is something OEM. They ask where my gauge setup is and I point to it. That's the kind of non-obtrusive effect I was going for.

Mike B

I took a look inside my head unit to see how involved gutting it would be. Much props to you sir, that's a lot of work to get such a clean result!

Back