Defi ZD in dash modification

Can you still use the little 3 button wired remote that comes with it?
Where did you put ut?
Thanks,
A.

Definitely. You can see it in the picture below.

Just an fyi too, everything is plugged into the control unit (brain box) which I have stashed away behind the seats. The Defi ZD unit, 3 button controller, all sensors, and power wiring harness are all plugged into it. So with my setup, the Defi ZD behind the radio only has one plug going to it from the control unit. That plug provides the power and data.

In response to your pm, I put the control unit right where the speaker goes, in between the seats. I took out that speaker long ago when I previously gutted my radio. I chose that spot when I realized that the warning sounds come from the control unit. So if you tuck it away too much, you may not hear the sensor warnings go off.

I took a look inside my head unit to see how involved gutting it would be. Much props to you sir, that's a lot of work to get such a clean result!

Thanks! It definitely took some effort to get it to this point, but it wasn't too difficult. Just take it step by step. Well worth it :)

Mike B

Last edited:
Definitely. You can see it in the picture below.

Just an fyi too, everything is plugged into the control unit (brain box) which I have stashed away behind the seats. The Defi ZD unit, 3 button controller, all sensors, and power wiring harness are all plugged into it. So with my setup, the Defi ZD behind the radio only has one plug going to it from the control unit. That plug provides the power and data.

In response to your pm, I put the control unit right where the speaker goes, in between the seats. I took out that speaker long ago when I previously gutted my radio. I chose that spot when I realized that the warning sounds come from the control unit. So if you tuck it away too much, you may not hear the sensor warnings go off.

Thanks! It definitely took some effort to get it to this point, but it wasn't too difficult. Just take it step by step. Well worth it :)

Mike B

HA! I missed that when looking at the picture: very smart. Very good feedback also on the ctrl unit as I would have thought that the ZD unit would have made the sounds.

I believe you "just" removed the OEM unit, placed the ZD and made sure it was aligned with the opening of the OEM center console. Plus the wiring.

Well, I am officially copying you :tongue::smile:

I've been asked to go more into how I attached the Defi ZD behind the radio face. Here are some progress pictures and points on how it was done.

As previously mentioned, I mounted the control unit behind the speaker housing between the seats. The warning sounds come from control unit itself (not the ZD display) so I wanted to put it in a place where I could hear it clearly. I originally planned to place it behind the driver's seat, where the TCS module once was, but the sound was too baffled by the back paneling.

I just used metal strapping to mount the control unit to the existing speaker mounting holes.

It took some thinking to figure out how to mount the Defi gauge behind the lens face. The lens is at an angle, and the complicated structure of the radio face made it a bit tricky. I eventually cut apart an old voltage meter case, and used the pieces to hug the ZD unit against the radio face lens. Since the newly cut plastic brackets are curved, I didn't need to modify or glue the actual ZD unit to keep it in place. Just some double side tape and pressure keeps it secure.

Please forgive my messy JB weld application. I originally used some Loctite gel super glue, but it reacted to the plastics and covered parts of the lens in a foggy white mist. I had to pull it apart, bluff the lens and re-glue the pieces in place with JB weld.

To retain function of buttons on the ZD unit, I cut out little spacers to bridge the (6 and 7) preset buttons with the ZD (Select and Set) buttons. If you do this, keep in mind it's really easy to accidentally glue the preset buttons to the face; especially with fine liquid super glue. Super glue works really well on these plastics, so no need to go crazy with it.

Finally, the radio housing needs to be cut a bit to make room for the ZD unit. Easily done with a Dremel.

This can obviously be done with different materials, glues, etc. I'm glad to answer any questions about the process, but please keep in mind that everything was just made as I went along. I won't we able to tell you what voltage meter case I cut apart, or how I exactly cut them. I just kept test fitting thing over and over and over until I was satisfied with the fitment. It was tedious at times, but I was so excited about the placement location that I just kept at it. Keep patience and don't rush it and it will turn out great.

Mike B

Copying the master job done by Mike B, I am in the process of gutting the Radio. That alone is no easy job.

I am about to purchase one of these ZD Defi Clubsport gauges. I found a reliable source for the kit for less than the $800 that I see around and can get a discount if I order more than 1.

Anyone interested?

Copying the master job done by Mike B, I am in the process of gutting the Radio. That alone is no easy job.

I am about to purchase one of these ZD Defi Clubsport gauges. I found a reliable source for the kit for less than the $800 that I see around and can get a discount if I order more than 1.

Anyone interested?

I have some friends at Defi, so I'll see if I can get you a deal on one or a few, HDA.

Mike B

I have some friends at Defi, so I'll see if I can get you a deal on one or a few, HDA.

Mike B

I just came across your post here. Way cool. Very nice work. This something I definitely need to do, but my radio just went through an expensive Willems upgrade just prior to me buying the car so I'm not ready to retire it yet. What is the reflective material you used on the bottom of the oil pan. Thanks for mentioning Cedar Ridge too. Didn't even know the existed.

Thanks. The various heat reflective tapes I used are from this company. It was the best I could find based on my research.
You can see more about my rebuild on this thread. I used 4 different heat tapes; mostly to test them out. The gold tape on the pan is the #10303-28 , and was the best overall in terms of heat reflection vs ease of applying / adhesion.

Mike B

Thanks. The various heat reflective tapes I used are from this company. It was the best I could find based on my research.
You can see more about my rebuild on this thread. I used 4 different heat tapes; mostly to test them out. The gold tape on the pan is the #10303-28 , and was the best overall in terms of heat reflection vs ease of applying / adhesion.

Mike B

Thanks for the info! I just installed headers and I was thinking that some heat shielding would be good to have between the headers and the pan considering how close they are.
Joe

Setup looks great! Do you have more info on the illuminated key hole? Did you retrofit that or is it custom? Also, did you just paint the on/off button?

Thanks.

The illuminated keyhole is OEM.
Yeah, I just painted the on/off radio button flat black because the volume mod I did made the whole button rotate so that the letters would move too. Looked better all black.

Michael

Thanks.

The illuminated keyhole is OEM.
Yeah, I just painted the on/off radio button flat black because the volume mod I did made the whole button rotate so that the letters would move too. Looked better all black.

Michael
So your car came with the illuminated key hole?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Back