debating on buying a fairly new NSX or aused c6 z06. help me decide.

Greetings

My neighbor has a Corvette and spends more to keep it going than I do on my NSX. Both are under warranty and daily drivers.

What is your goal for the car? Will it be a daily driver or a weekend warrior? I daily drive my NSX. Have you rented both cars so that you can drive them without a paranoid owner/car salesman sitting next to you? I wanted a Ferrari/Lamborshini before I drove one and talked to several owners. I am guessing you could Google the net and find a place to rent. That is what I did.

I flew to LA and rented a Ferrari and Lamborghini for the day when on my car search. It was the best investment I ever made, since I did not buy either. (I do highly recommend driving a Testarossa through Malibu Canyon.) (Best car was a Ford GT, but too sensitive to drive every day).

Cheers,
Martin

I just wanted to point out the title of this topic should have been:

debating on buying a fairly new Z06 or a used NSX

Not the other way around. :biggrin:

A supercharged NSX is pretty quick but still not Z06 fast by any means. The NSX will hold its value where the vette will not.

I agree with you on your last statement, but NOT your first. How did you come to the conclusion on your first statement?

NSX parts are not hard to find and they won't need a excessive maintenance (like say a Ferrari would) .

The C6 Z06 will be a faster car but it's a different kind of car.
And that's something you really should experience in real life.

Facts on paper and photo's are one thing real life is a other thing.
The NSX is a more exclusive car to drive and to see and sit in.

A Z06 is more like a sledge hammer than a precision instrument that the NSX is.

Huge amounts of torque and power are the real plus points on the Z06 and the large interior (for a sports car) and the big V8 sound.

The NSX is a more refined handling car with equally great sound. but it does have a much more high class feel and look to it (the Corvette still is a bit to much plastic on the inside although newer Z06 are some what better)

In principal the Corvette should not be a headache in maintenance neither should a NSX be.
Of the line the Z06 will kill the NSX hands down you just can't beat 512HP in corners i would say there equal maybe the NSX would be better.

but at the end of the day it's still personal taste.

Last edited:
I really want a C6 Z06, badly. Would I trade my NSX for it, no. I really wish I could afford both. There is just something special about the NSX. It's hard to explain, but most of the long time NSXer's here understand.

Tough choice indeed. I would test drive them both and then decide. I hope to have both in my garage one day.

I feel the same "Z"...in fact, I've been searching for the past 2 weeks for a used C6. I want one very bad...but not enough to trade my NSX. I'm hoping to find a way for both! Tough choice for someone who's never owned or driven an NSX for at least a week. He shouldn't be bashed on this forum for considering a Vette over the NSX. Maybe someone that owns an NSX can give him a ride and let him drive and give him the same feeling that we have in our cars.

The good news is that in a few years the C6Z06 will be worthless and then you can buy one on a whim :D

Before deciding to commit to the fairly heft expense of coming back to the NSX I flirted with the idea of getting a really nice C5 Z06.

You can buy perfect one owner ones all day long for $22-$25k.

The same will be true of the C6 Z06. Its already happening with the C6 Coupe.

Buying a Corvette new, or close to new, is insane. I did that back in 2000 (new C5 coupe) and will never do it again. Wait about 5 years after release and they become an absolute steal. Since there are millions of them, you can always find a ton for sale and get a nice one also.

I agree with you on your last statement, but NOT your first. How did you come to the conclusion on your first statement?

He's talking about the C6 Z06. The C5 Z06 I can imagine an SC NSX would hang. The C6 might as well be a totally different car. It's better than the C5 in every way possible. Over 500HP and it still weighs 3100.

Its just power/weight really. The NSX and Z weigh about the same. Drop any gearing differences to keep it simple and you figure you need a 500HP NSX to match the C6. Personally, I wouldnt feel comfortable doing that to an NSX.

That said, I *personally* think a CTSC NSX is perfect. Gets you up to just under 400hp with a nice safe 6lbs (which I think is no problem for this motor) and brings you to C5 Z06 performance (roughly) in a far better over all chasis and setup. Thats pretty damn good considering the real bottleneck is going to be the drivers ability once you are talking mid to low 12 second quarter mile times and the kind of lap times these cars can do.

I mean how many people can really exploit the power of a 911GT2, Viper SRT-10 gen 4 or C6Z06? Not many. Thats why so many people are wrapping themselves around telephone poles in these 11 second street legal cars.

That said, I *personally* think a CTSC NSX is perfect. Gets you up to just under 400hp with a nice safe 6lbs (which I think is no problem for this motor) and brings you to C5 Z06 performance (roughly) in a far better over all chasis and setup.

I agree with ALL your points. I can only speak from personal experience, but my car has had all the upgrades to suspension that comptech had to offer. In addition, car weight came in at only 2,880 lbs when weighed recently.
I just do not think in the long run that the vette is a better value and it does not offer any performance advantages. Buy the right NSX and take some driving lessons from the pro's.

I agree with ALL your points. I can only speak from personal experience, but my car has had all the upgrades to suspension that comptech had to offer. In addition, car weight came in at only 2,880 lbs when weighed recently.
I just do not think in the long run that the vette is a better value and it does not offer any performance advantages. Buy the right NSX and take some driving lessons from the pro's.

This is great advice... Agree 100%... But someone has to "get it" I think, to appreciate it.

Its like the classic Ferraris. I have seen people actually say "whats the point of a 308 or 328??? Its OLD and SLOW... a new EVO is faster!"

Thats a good example of "not getting it"

Resale tells it all... Im back in the market and, even in this crappy economy, NSXs are holding up GREAT. APPRECIATING in some ways and that will continue. Used C5 Corvettes are cheaper than a new Civic stripper.

Todays Vettes are definitely a commodity. Thats why even for someone who "doesnt get" the subtlety of the NSX and just needs WHOMPING torque (that they almost certainly cant exploit) I recommend they buy a 6 year old or so Vette that has taken the MONSTER depreciation hit yet is still "current"

Back