debating on buying a fairly new NSX or aused c6 z06. help me decide.

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, but have been lurking here recently, because I'm in the market for buying another sports car. I currently own a c5 frc. I'm having trouble in deciding between a c6 z06 or a newer NSX. I like everything about the NSX, but have some problems like; 1: will I have problems finding parts for this car? 2. Is it costly to maintain? 3. If I need to replace motor and trans, are they easily assessable? 4. performance wise, i believe the c6 z06 might be the better choice, but ill have you folks enlighten me on that subject. 5. is the c6 z06 a better car?
here is my current weekend driver:
photo-1.jpg

tough choice. I'd normally say try something different, which means getting the nsx. BUT the prices on the used C6 Z06 is amazingly low and even though I've never driven either Z06, I'd say they're probably completely different animals. Having owned my nsx for 3 years now, I'd go for the C6 Z06. But thats just because I love cars and like experiencing new things.

Quality on the nsx is high. Not much to worry about things breaking, especially a newer one. Parts will be harder to find as time progresses. Even now some parts are slowly starting to disappear.

Don't know about the vette, but the engine and tranny of a nsx comes out the bottom. So generally speaking, a lift will be required if you plan to drop either.

To maintain, it's not costly at all. Normal wear parts will wear but things just shouldn't go kaboom unless you mess with them.

I just have to say the experience will be significantly different in ALL aspects. From the driving experience ripping through the gears, to simply rolling up the main drag through town one fine day. My old car still turns heads, lots of heads. I didn't even realize it or figure most dont even notice until a friend following me in her truck informed me when we got to our destination. I just didn't realize or care to realize.

I willl throw in my .02

I chose a NSX over a C6 coupe last week. I chose it over the C6 for a couple of reasons. Taking into account that I have always wanted a vette since high school.

Rarity - You just don't see NSX on the road anymore... versus one C6 every other block.

Build quality - I was underwhelmed when I sat in a C6... The quality of the interior was... disappointing. The material felt cheap and every panel I touched is hard and squeaky. versus the 18 years old NSX I bought, which does not sqeak at all and has a gorgeous interior.

Engine placement - Got to admit I like where the engine is located with the NSX.

1: will I have problems finding parts for this car?

OEM replacement parts are really expensive. Vette would be cheaper.

2. Is it costly to maintain?

Vette would be cheaper. NSX's initial maintainance is expensive. Some shops might not willing to work on the NSX.

4. performance wise, i believe the c6 z06 might be the better choice, but ill have you folks enlighten me on that subject.

No doubt Z06 can out run and out turn a NSX. Heck your C5 can probably do that. But I like the NSX because it's more than just speed. It has the style and the quality that IMO superior than the vette.

5. is the c6 z06 a better car?
Everyone will have different answer to this question. I guess it depends on what you're ultimately looking for.

Good luck! :)

Seriously? Is this the old man Vette forum? :rolleyes:

Um.......buy the NSX :cool:

But if you already own a c5, Id say there is about 0.00001% chance you will buy the NSX. I know where this is headed.........

I really want a C6 Z06, badly. Would I trade my NSX for it, no. I really wish I could afford both. There is just something special about the NSX. It's hard to explain, but most of the long time NSXer's here understand.

Tough choice indeed. I would test drive them both and then decide. I hope to have both in my garage one day.

Oh wow, is a though question ... a C6 Z06 vs a late model NSX .... one thing, you MUST get a SC in your NSX to get a bit closer to the C6 Z06 or @ least not smoked so you can be 100% happy.

If cars were in UFC, the NSX could be Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, and the Z06 is a Brock Lesnar for sure hahhaha

NSX: Sexy, Exotic (once you own one you understand how special this car is and how well made is) Fast enough, handles amazing, "feels and looks like a Ferrari" as 99% of the people that rides with me say, Extremely rare and very well respected among real car enthusiasts, not as fast but hey, a CTSC can do it.

C6 Z06: Sexy, FAST, incredible sounding car, BRUTE and evil, will smoke pretty much everything out there .. 500+ HP.

NSX: Needs more power, and aggressive suspension but that's all it needs pretty much.

C6 Z06: Needs more class, has some mundane looks that can be fixed lowering, black wheels, etc .... and oh that interior, also that is fixable.

I have no idea if the Z06's are reliable or not, neither if they are expensive to fix, I can't even opinate on that, the NSX is very reliable.
What a though question ... good luck, I am sure you will be happy with the NSX, I always dreamed about this car ... once i had the budget I had serious questions about a Z06 ... but ended up getting my long time dream, over the monster!

Someday i hope I have both :)

Oscar

PS: Like 3 months ago I encountered a Z06 close to my house, I gave the dude Thumbs up, was silver, lowered and black wheels, he smiled and floored ... IT WAS LOUD and AWESOME ... @ the light I told him to do again, he said he can't b/c he had a starbucks cappuccino on his hand (he showed me)

Oscar

Kennyc gave some great honest answers IMO.

I was debating purchasing a newer Corvette Convertible or an NSX. I have owned a couple older vettes.

Performance... the newer stock vettes have more than the NSX.

For me, it came down to the style and the uniqueness of the NSX.

People see vettes all the time. I'm not into all the attention... I just love the car (NSX), but if I had purchased the Vette, I'm sure nobody would be hanging out their car windows, turning around trying to get pictures with their cell phones. Or people coming up asking if it is okay to take pictures of your car.

I've let a few people sit in the drivers seat... made their day! They were blessed and all smiles. :biggrin:

My wife's son has a friend who owns a 2008 427 Limited Edtition Z06. Incredible car, incredibly powerful and fast. It would BLOW the DOORS off my stock 91 NA1.

But it still looks like a vette and it doesn't get anymore attention than any other vette.

I love vettes, have since I was a kid, but my choice was the NSX and I haven't regretted the choice any time.

The NSX is MORE than enough to get me locked up for speed... it handles well, my wife loves it, loves the comfort of the seats, well built car... and yes, stock parts retail, are scarey... the local Acura parts desk told me $25k for the engine and $7k for a transmission... :eek:

But you can definitely beat those prices.

It depends on what you want... different strokes for different folks as they say.

Performance for the buck... the vette is hard to beat. The NSX is all about class and style IMO.

The NSX does get confused with the Corvette and Ferrari's with some people. It depends on whether they are car people or not. Car people tend not to confuse the models, but some people see a two seater sports car and figure it must be a corvette, and if they are red, possibly a Ferrari.

Keep us posted on your decision....

paging netviper....

Ok, while I haven't owned a vette(yet) I have owned a 94 Camaro Z28 6 spd and a 98 Camaro SS 6 spd. Both of those cars were fun to drive but having to bring the cars in the shop a fair amount with less than 40K miles on the clock for both of them got old really quick. With the 94 the opti-spark was a problem along with the pinion seal and EGR valve recall( I won't even count the clutch rattle since it since it was merely an annoyance). With the 98 it was the 2nd gear synchro(twice) and again the pinion seal(twice).

5 new Japanese cars later I have not had to take any of them to the dealer even once(as a former mechanic I do all my own routine maintenance).

One of my old GF's had an 82 vette and I had to work on that thing almost every weekend. Something was always breaking on that thing. I think I spent more time working on her car than with her. :P

I was considering a c5 z06 as an alternative to the NSX but decided the NSX would be a better choice since it is a Honda.

My 2 cents.

Just test drive a newer 6 speed NSX. You'll know immediately if it is the right car for you. Keep in mind that there are reliable power upgrade options for $10-15k that can get the speed on par with a C6 z06.

I think the above needs some caveats, no disrespect.

But $10-$15k to get power on par with the >>C6<< Z06? I dont buy that. You'd have to force an enormous amount of air into the engine to put out anywhere near the numbers you'd need to come close to a C6Z in terms of straight line grunt. Its the same weight and 500HP.

Can it be done? Possibly. Can it be done cheap, and reliably, and without serious risk of melting down the Honda motor? I dont buy it.

Personally, I think if you need to do massive modifications to get the car to what you want it to be, then its the wrong car. The question then becomes why buy an NSX, make a science project out of it, end up spending a really serious chunk of change, only to have a car that will probably be a lot hard to resell down the line when you can get an amazing deal on the C6Z that is a bone stock car with a warranty?

I think if performance is your NUMBER ONE criteria, then the NSX isnt for you. If driving experience, exclusivity, build quality, mid-engine balance, etc are your criteria, then the NSX is for you.

Cost is a no brainer... The Chevy is obviously cheaper to buy and own.

1 more thing...
These are 2 very different cultures:
Vettes still tend to be covetted by middle-aged white males who have a strong buy-American mentality. Seems like only a small fraction of 'vettes are tracked regularly, which is quite a shame as they are very competant track machines. You will not need to apologize to anyone for not buying American if you get the 'vette.
The NSX is a darling of the tuner culture and younger males (neither one will get you chicks, need a BMW sedan for that). I have been flipped off by dudes on Harley's and had "Buy American!" yelled at me. Dudes in tuner cars and sport bikes almost always give you a thumb's up or flash their lights. At the track, the NSX is revered beyond it's (or mine) true capabilities. I was racing at Road America a week ago and almost every person there complemented me on my car (damn good thing, cuz I drove like shit).
Not that one culture is better or worse, just different...

I think the above needs some caveats, no disrespect.

But $10-$15k to get power on par with the >>C6<< Z06? I dont buy that. You'd have to force an enormous amount of air into the engine to put out anywhere near the numbers you'd need to come close to a C6Z in terms of straight line grunt. Its the same weight and 500HP.

Can it be done? Possibly. Can it be done cheap, and reliably, and without serious risk of melting down the Honda motor? I dont buy it.

Personally, I think if you need to do massive modifications to get the car to what you want it to be, then its the wrong car. The question then becomes why buy an NSX, make a science project out of it, end up spending a really serious chunk of change, only to have a car that will probably be a lot hard to resell down the line when you can get an amazing deal on the C6Z that is a bone stock car with a warranty?

I think if performance is your NUMBER ONE criteria, then the NSX isnt for you. If driving experience, exclusivity, build quality, mid-engine balance, etc are your criteria, then the NSX is for you.

Cost is a no brainer... The Chevy is obviously cheaper to buy and own.

My point was that there are options to speed up the NSX to modern day expectations. A CTSC for $10k will help, and there are plenty of folks with turbo'ed NSXs at 450-475 crank hp, which should be about the same as a Z06 at the wheels. Reliability may suffer with a turbo, but the Z06 isn't built as well either (and it remains to be seen how long that supercharger/motor lasts on the 'vette).

That being said, if top performance was my goal, I'd still get the Z06 for factory-set ease of use.

Its apples vs. oranges and comes down to personal preference.

Hand built exotic or run of the mill...

I agree.

I choose driving experience, exclusitivity, build quality, and mid-engine balance, but think about more power everytime I drive my 91 NSX.

I like both cars. Good luck!

Everyone, thanks for the info. I posted the same thread in the corvette forum and have already triple the replies. A lot of corvette owners love the NSX, especially the exclusivity of it and the build quality. I am now leaning more towards the NSX, because it was brought to my attention that I probably will never use the full 505hp built into the Z06 or take the z06 to it's limits on the track. I do like power on the other hand. I have a honda odessey (van) which has no acceleration at all and no exhaust drone or rumble, and stupidly boring but when I get into the vette the experience is visceral. If I hit the gas hard enough on the vette, the tail end cuts loose and that's a great feeling. the torque and accelaration throws me back in the tiny cockpit and all is thrilling.

That being said. Hows the Honda NSX in this respect?

Thanks for all your replies.:smile:

My point was that there are options to speed up the NSX to modern day expectations. A CTSC for $10k will help, and there are plenty of folks with turbo'ed NSXs at 450-475 crank hp, which should be about the same as a Z06 at the wheels. Reliability may suffer with a turbo, but the Z06 isn't built as well either (and it remains to be seen how long that supercharger/motor lasts on the 'vette).

That being said, if top performance was my goal, I'd still get the Z06 for factory-set ease of use.

The C6-z06 is normally aspirated, not factory supercharged. At this point its a 7 liter small block 8 making an honest 505hp at the crank. Its not a POS either (as many like to say), with titanium rods, aluminum castings, 7k RPM redline and a dry sump system. Ive seen stock Z06's (BONE stock) get into the 11's on a drag strip with competent drivers and traction. Its 3132 lbs also and has brakes better than a 996 TT (which are a lot better than the NSX)

I LOVE the NSX and Im not a big Vette fan (owned one), but the >C6< Z06 is a world killing titan. The Ferrari F430 and the Gallardo get embarassed by it in many absolute numbers tests. Dodge upped the 08 Viper to 600hp because of it.

You're just not going to take an NSX with its essentially 20 year old design that never truly evolved, as BRILLIANT as that design was, and compete with the absolute EDGE of modern performance by pushing it through the tuner market.

The C5 Z06, possibly, since the C5 Z06 was a far lesser beast (although I still think it would take a HELL of an NSX to match one in *pure* numbers), but a C6 Z06 it just isnt happening.

Now consider that Vipers and Z06's have supercharger kits too and they're all a lot easier. And those motors are ENORMOUS and can take the power with zero effort and no dependibility hit AT ALL. Supercharged Vipers make an extra 100hp and dont breathe hard.

Dont mean to belabor the point, but I think the OP should go in with eyes open. The NSX is NOT the place to look for PURE POWER. You'll spend far too much, end up with too little, and in the end be sort of nullifying the BEST quality of the NSX which is that it was the gentlements exotic - the look and manners of a Ferrari with the soul of a Honda (both good and bad - the good being that it is rock solid, not tempermental and as reliable as a civic)

=============================================================================================================

EDIT: And my suspicions were correct! To the OP: forget it... If you are after neck snapping acceleration and the feeling of massive torque, forget the NSX. DO NOT buy an NSX and embark on some crazy project to try to turn it into a drag queen or a Supra. If you do go the C6 Z06 route though, PLEASE be careful. It seems people that want to feel their head thrown back are totaling Z06's and Vipers in numbers lately that are going to get those cars banned and they are taking innocent people out with them!

The NSX is a corner carver. It lives in the high revs and on a track it will reward you with its perfectly balanced suspension, amazingly neutral steering, excellent mid-engine weight distribution and setup, driver friendly position, and great gearbox. It was called "too easy" by the pompous Euro mags back in the day even as it matched lap times with the likes of a Lotus Esprit and Ferrari F355.

But it has no torque and no off the line acceleration in modern terms. The Viper and Z06 are high 3 second 0-60 low 11 sec quarter mile cars. The NSX in its absolute fastest domestic incarnation is POSSIBLY as quick as a C5 Vette, but again, that isnt even the point. A midengine track super car is just NOT supposed to be a fire breathing torque monster. The Lotus Esprit and F355 arent either. That role is made for muscle cars like the Vette and Viper (which, interestingly enough are also good on the track).

The best of ALL of these worlds is almost certainly the 911TT (although having owned the 911, I cant help but find it a bit boring b/c of the styling and ubiquity of them no matter how hard I try)

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the NSX scene, but the "it" factor that the NSX has over the 'Vette is the TIMELESS super sportcar design. You probably wouldn't believe how many times these NSX owners get asked, "What year is this car???" The NSX has been around since 1991 and the general design of the car has been pretty much unchanged. So a 1991 NSX, that would be 18 years old today, would look very similar to a 2005 NSX. Yes, there are changes over the years, but they were subtle and done in a smooth way to streamline the look, but to the untrained eye, people would still be able to look at both cars, a 1991 and a 2005, and say they are both Acura NSXs. Most car companies can't make a vehicle that can stand that test of time. So I think the NSX was way ahead of its time, and that is a testament to its design.

i only drove one, one time but it was sweeettttt. Unlike the vette, you really dont feel the power till you hit vtec, but once you do its like a turbo. Funny enough, a friend has a new corvette. My bros s2k has no cats and a cold air intake and exhaust. he took off then the vette and the vette took till 4th gear just to catch up. That is why when will you use all 500 hp, probably never. You will use the hp about as many times as you see an nsx on the road, never :) The interior isnt too bad, all the stuff is hi tech in the vette. No keys need to be put in it to drive, ect. But it feels to me like im sitting in a truck with it's big padded seats......which the nsx also does so im throwing recaros in mine when i get it. Plus, im not a fan of american musscle cars imo. If i went american i would buy a used viper.

i only drove one, one time but it was sweeettttt. Unlike the vette, you really dont feel the power till you hit vtec, but once you do its like a turbo. Funny enough, a friend has a new corvette. My bros s2k has no cats and a cold air intake and exhaust. he took off then the vette and the vette took till 4th gear just to catch up. That is why when will you use all 500 hp, probably never. You will use the hp about as many times as you see an nsx on the road, never :) The interior isnt too bad, all the stuff is hi tech in the vette. No keys need to be put in it to drive, ect. But it feels to me like im sitting in a truck with it's big padded seats......which the nsx also does so im throwing recaros in mine when i get it. Plus, im not a fan of american musscle cars imo. If i went american i would buy a used viper.

There is a pretty extensive article in the technical section specifically on what the variable valve timing is and what it does. It should not in any way be described as "like a turbo", hate to say it. That was almost definitely a placebo effect. The NSX is either a 270hp or 290hp engine. VTEC allows that engine to behave in a really fuel efficient matter until you lean on it and push it into the high RPM band at which point the cam profiles shift and you actually start using a 270hp or 290hp motor. I think the Vette employs some sort of clever electronic cam profile management also in order to get that crazy gas mileage.

The story with the S2k is too annecdotal, hate to say. In a stop light to stop light contest, the S2k is so insanely and ridiculously underpowered next to any Vette, that something was clearly going on. The vette was an auto... The vette couldnt hook up and lost traction... The driver was clueless... etc.

And in any event, that wouldnt matter to the OP. When the Vette driver DID finally hook up, he was feeling torque. The S2k has none and so no matter how many silly street races you may seem to win, INSIDE Of it, you are NOT feeling what you feel in a Vette, Viper (or Mustang)

The other day I was out in an SRT-10 with a friend... At EVERY stoplight we had idiots next to us in some kind of 4 cyl reving it and flooring it... Civics, WRX's EVOs, etc. At EVERY light they would put 5 car lengths on us and then we would FLY past them like they were stopped.

I asked my friend "are you doing that on purpose?" and he said "what?"

He had NO clue these morons were "racing". We were in a pretty engaged conversation and that was just how he drives it. EASES into the gas to make sure there is no problem with traction and we dont hit a rut and slide into oncoming traffic, then sort of opens up to get us to 70 or whatever.

I guarantee EVERY one of those humps is posting "MY FRIEND BEAT AN SRT-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" on some forum. There is just no comparison with a car that makes 500+ HP and runs in the 11s BONE STOCK. Most people with hopped up 4 cyl cars think they've made the car infinitely quicker when, in fact, they may have even made it less efficient and LESS quick due to the thousand other factors.

Small high reving engines are not drag racers, is the moral of the story. If you want to drag race, or have the FEEL that drag racers impart, get a car thats made for it.

Last edited:
Back to the OP, I guess if you have to ask the question, you know the answer. No way the NSX will ever make more sense than a used C6 'vette. You either get it or you dont.
My personal experience: Corvette, not enough soul; Elise, too much soul;
NSX, just right.

I spent time trying to make that decision too. The new Vettes are stunningly beautiful. And obviously fast as heck with a reasonable buy-in. Lot's of bang for the buck. I was thinking it over one day travelling I5 in CA. I saw at least 8 of them in my journey, each one catching my eye with it's beauty. Then it hit me. Vettes are all over the place and I haven't seen an NSX on the road for half a year. Decision made. I wanted something more exotic and unusual.

Everyone, thanks for the info. I posted the same thread in the corvette forum and have already triple the replies. A lot of corvette owners love the NSX, especially the exclusivity of it and the build quality. I am now leaning more towards the NSX, because it was brought to my attention that I probably will never use the full 505hp built into the Z06 or take the z06 to it's limits on the track. I do like power on the other hand. I have a honda odessey (van) which has no acceleration at all and no exhaust drone or rumble, and stupidly boring but when I get into the vette the experience is visceral. If I hit the gas hard enough on the vette, the tail end cuts loose and that's a great feeling. the torque and accelaration throws me back in the tiny cockpit and all is thrilling.

That being said. Hows the Honda NSX in this respect?

Thanks for all your replies.:smile:

You are actually comparing a vette to a Honda Oddessy... C'mon dude:rolleyes:

Back