Dealer Invoice?

I'm hard balling the guy at the GM dealership for a 2008 Z06.

It's a new car and ive' got him down to 10K off sticker price.

He shows me the invoice price (which we're at) and tells me he can't go any lower than invoice since I'm going to take the 0% financing.

Is he full of it, or can he go lower? The cars been sitting there for months. The way these guys talk, you'd never know GM was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. I walked today on the deal and told him to call me if he changes his mind. :rolleyes:

I suspect there is more room in the price. I too would have walked. Wait a week or until the end of the month and stop by again and see what they will do. I like the Z06; a lot of car for the money.

You can get 0% on a Z06 at invoice? Nice!

How many months 0%?

He shows me the invoice price (which we're at) and tells me he can't go any lower than invoice since I'm going to take the 0% financing.

Is he full of it, or can he go lower? The cars been sitting there for months. The way these guys talk, you'd never know GM was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. I walked today on the deal and told him to call me if he changes his mind. :rolleyes:

How much is Invoice? Which option package does it have? Need more info

The way these guys talk, you'd never know GM was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. I walked today on the deal and told him to call me if he changes his mind. :rolleyes:

Oh those arrogant bastards, they are offering you the hottest and arguably one of the best cars GM has produced at invoice. So the dealer gets to keep a grand or two hold back money, so what. It is a business and if they make nothing on the transaction whats the point??

Oh those arrogant bastards, they are offering you the hottest and arguably one of the best cars GM has produced at invoice. So the dealer gets to keep a grand or two hold back money, so what. It is a business and if they make nothing on the transaction whats the point??

I agree with this 100%.

What? Everyone deserves a paycheck at the end of the week EXCEPT a car Dealer. That seems to be the mindset of so many people.

Whoa there, you two.

My aim was to make sure I was getting a good deal.....

Not to screw anyone....

Even though they would take the first opportunity to take advantage of me if I wasn't an informed customer. :wink:

Please....they didn't "offer" anything. It is only through months of research and weeks of negotiating that we've come to this point.

You can phone consumer Reports 1-800-332-6331 and for $12.00 they will mail you a hard copy and e-mail you the actual price the dealer payed for the car. It will include the invoice price, unadvertised incentives, holdbacks, options, and destination charges. Once you know what the dealer actually paid for the car you can decide a fair profit.

I have used this service several times. I take the New Car Price Report and show it to the sales manager then we talk.

The actual dealer cost can be found for free if you want to search. Kelly Blue Book and other web sights list invoice, incentives, and pecentage of holdback pluss or minus. You can get very close to actual dealer cost but dealer cost for options are harder to locate so I figure its worth spending $12.00. It also gives me a hard copy of information to present to the sales manager.

Last edited:
I agree with this 100%.

What? Everyone deserves a paycheck at the end of the week EXCEPT a car Dealer. That seems to be the mindset of so many people.

All I would like to know is exactly what that paycheck is. i would just like to know how much they kae. is it 10k or 1k. 1k is fine 10k is asinine.

Ed, swap me that NSX and some loot and I will send you the 360 spider. I can get you 4.9% too.:smile:

Pardon my slight hijack,but why are you buying the vette?

Last edited:
Please....they didn't "offer" anything. It is only through months of research and weeks of negotiating that we've come to this point.

I am not one to mince words, but I was referring to the current offer on the table. If as a dealer they gave up on trying to be a profitable business and just gave you the best deal including all available rebates and 0% financing and hoped you would buy the car that would make them, ah General Motors :eek:

In regards to being taken advantage of, I think it remains to consumer's responsibility to do diligence and be a well informed buyer. Everyone perceives value differently especially the manufactures, who come up with those outrageous MSRPs.

I respect that you are seeking the very best deal possible as are most of us but from your months of research and weeks of negotiation don't you agree that the dealer really only has hold back money left?? If they could have made a reasonable profit at invoice I think you would have arrived at that number much sooner in your negotiation.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck on your deal the Z06 is killer car.

I would run away from the 08 for invoice, and I mean run forest run!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...vailable-new-2009-z06s-starting-57-837-a.html
All I saw there were 09's?:confused:
The link by Greg Z is showing brand-new '09 C6 Z06 models being offered for at least ~$16k+ below MSRP. Meanwhile SilverStone05 was looking into an unsold carryover '08 C6 Z06 being offered for ~$10k below MSRP.

Check-it...

I don't follow the Corvette market, but I'm well-versed w/ many other makes/models in terms of unsold carryover model pricing (ie. unsold '08 model-year vehicle being sold in '09+). Generally, these vehicles are discounted at least ~25% off of their original MSRP (+/- 5% depending on how late into the following year it is). In addition to that: high-end sports-cars/sports-coupes, full-sized S.U.V.'s, and luxury/premium vehicles are discounted well beyond that ~25% value. . .

The CarSpace "Townhall talk" forum on www.edmunds.com is very useful & insightful as to what real-people are paying for real-vehicles in real-time. . .

Last edited:
The link by Greg Z is showing brand-new '09 C6 Z06 models being offered for at least ~$16k+ below MSRP. Meanwhile SilverStone05 was looking into an unsold carryover '08 C6 Z06 being offered for ~$10k below MSRP.

Oh, I missed that. Sorry. I would get the 09 over the 08 for sure. There are too many great deals on 09's out there and they are already taking orders for the 2010. I would get the upgraded leather interior too if you can afford it. It is really nice.

Last edited:
In addition to that: high-end sports-cars/sports-coupes, full-sized S.U.V.'s, and luxury/premium vehicles are discounted well beyond that ~25% value. . .

That has not been my experience with Porsche. I was looking into a new GTS and they also had a 08 GTS left over, which has lesser technology and the dealer was not too keen on going down much more on the 08. From my perspective if a 09 GTS is 85k and they are willing to sell the car for 75k which should be 65k then their 08 with a MSRP of 75k should be going for 50k.

Pretty soon the market will run out of buyers and then the real deals will come, especially on the higher end stuff.

A standard rule of thumb.

The actual MSRP to invoice is anywhere between 7 to 12%. Unless it is a econo box like Honda Fit, which only have about $500 profit from MSRP, you're doing very good.

There is a dealership 3% holdback on this car, and it is used for unexpected costs.

If you're looking at a $65k car and got $10 grand off, it's a good deal. Even for a 2008.

You couldn't grind the dealership, but you may lose out the deal when some one else spot the deal. Ultimately you will be the one who lost out on the great deal.

It's a game of cat and mouse, they will not wait for you if they find another buyer. If they can't find another buyer, they might cave.

Keep in mind that you're also getting 0% interest, which partially is taking out of dealership in a different form.

Autotrader

You can always use this as your bargaining chip, if this people can take the hit, your dealership should be able to also.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys...I will go to them with this information.

Regardless of mileage, 2008 is a used car in my eyes. We're 1/2 way into 2009. The 2010s will be out in a few months won't they?
I would want 20% off invoice just based on that.

Back