Cybernation Shows Turbo NSX

I was praying we could just get mine off of the dyno at Cybernations shop at 3:00 a.m.

IMO, three words regarding this turbo kit:

tick, tick, tick.........XXXX

You can likely guess the fourth.

Best regards,

Ben

Ben didn't hear the sound "B**M" but he did hear several other sounds during his experience at Cybernation.
One was massive pinging as his car detonated on the interstate.

Second was the sound of a cash register as he paid for a hotel room unexpectedly because his car wasn't drivable.

Third was the sound of his heart beating as he hoped he'd make it home on time and not lose his job.

Fourth was the sigh as he realized that his gas cap had been lost and replaced with something else.

Fifth was the sound of his wastegate screws...oh wait, he didn't hear those because they were gone when he went to correct the 10psi boost spikes he was getting on the way home.

Sixth was the sound of an airplane as he flew back to Florida to pick up his car after Cybernation had it for another month to try to get it "right" again.

Seventh was the sound of laughter frought from disbelief as we struggled to understand how all of this could happen.

Several unique and interesting sounds, none of which anyone would want to hear again IMO.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 08 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 08 January 2003).]

Anybody know what's the latest info on Cybernation's creation? I'm wondering if it's for real. How could they get 418rwhp when the CTSC, BBSC can only get somewhere in the 300's?

-CiaoBoy

If tuned for hp, the 6 pound BBSC can get right up to 400hp. Most tuned for safe Air/Fuel ratios, will be 370 to 390 range.

Turbos in general can make big power rather efficiently. However, no production kit has proven big hp numbers and reliability. There are a number of one off's that are quite impressive though.

[This message has been edited by Sig (edited 08 January 2003).]

1. Ben is NOT NOT running a Cybernation turbo kit.

2. Yes we will readily admit that we made a few bone head errors with Ben’s cars such as loosing his gas cap which was replaced with the one from our 1999 yellow NSX. However we went above and beyond to rectify the situation by first releasing his car free of charge waving a $3000 bill.

Beckert brought his car to Cybernation to have it dyno tuned and to stop the map sensor from seeing boost. We installed a basch boost smart map, which stopped his car from seeing boost. When we put the car on the dyno it had a dangerous lean spike almost 17:1 fuel ratio at approximately 5000 rpm. We worked until 3 am in the morning installing and uninstalling an extra fuel pump and an FMU but our efforts were futile as the car continued to run lean. We ended up removing his stock injectors and installing some 440 cc injectors. This solved his problem as the car begun to run rich 11:1 and the power went up 20hp and the torque increased by 26 ft-lbs. Beckert drove the car 2500 miles back to Missouri and reported hearing what he believed to be pinging. Now if anyone has ever heard Beckert's car you would know that thing is louder than thunder. You can literally hear his exhaust form over 2 miles away. We continue to maintain that if indeed his car was pining that it would be humanly impossible to hear it over the overwhelming thunder of his exhaust. But Cybernation's policy being the customer is always right we called a trucking company and ended up paying close to $2000 dollars to have his car trucked back to Florida. When the car arrived in Florida we found no pinging just that the car was running rich. The trucking company scratched the side step and the front lip as they loaded the car for transport it cost us $850 to have the car’s side steps, front lip and rears spats repainted and glossed. While the car sat in our possession his passenger side window stopped working as the 12 year old electronic motor and cable system died from wear and tear, we replaced it at a cost $650 with no charge to Beckert. We installed a $250 FMU also at no cost to Beckert in order to provide additional safety under boost. The FMU will automatically increase the car’s fuel pressure ensuring that the car will not lean out under boost. Beckert picked up his car drove 2500 miles back to Missouri and now claims that the screws form his wastegates are now missing. The last thing that was done to Beckert’s car was the tightening and locking of the wastgagte screws we are puzzled as to why he would claim they are missing.

3. As a company we are saddened when a customer is unhappy and will continue to always do what is right even if it cost us money. Unfortunately no matter how hard you try some customers will never be satisfied but such is the nature of the beast.

4. Ben keep waiting because it won’t be tic, tic, tic, boom it will be tic-tack, tic-tack as the clock won’t stop because no matter how hard you wish it Cybernation will never blow up a NSX.

5. Project turbo NSX is going strong we now have 2 turbo NSXes putting out more than any other company could accomplish at 7psi. New videos will be published soon. We are so confident in our turbo design that we are considering offering a warranty against engine damage something no other company in the world would dream of doing with a turbo. Cybernation is still the only company in the world with a working and retailing turbo kit for the Acura RSX that should tell you something.

You are certainly right about that. THANK GOD.

2. Yes we will readily admit that we made a few bone head errors with Ben’s cars such as loosing his gas cap which was replaced with the one from our 1999 yellow NSX.

Lee, if this was the only "error" that was made, then yes, it would be trivial. I'll gladly send you the gas cap back if you so desire.

However we went above and beyond to rectify the situation by first releasing his car free of charge waving a $3000 bill.

Wow, thanks. I brought in a car that ran great, took out a car that was like a time bomb.

When we put the car on the dyno it had a dangerous lean spike almost 17:1 fuel ratio at approximately 5000 rpm.

This is also true. My fuel curve went just over 15:1 at 4k rpm when seeing boost as the AIC was improperly adjusted with my cut-in pressure being to (+)

We worked until 3 am in the morning installing and uninstalling an extra fuel pump and an FMU but our efforts were futile as the car continued to run lean. We ended up removing his stock injectors and installing some 440 cc injectors.

Indeed, you were at the shop at 3 A.M. no disputing that. FWIW, the decision to remove the AIC and stock injectors came at 5:30 P.M. What transpired between 5:30 P.M. and 3:00 A.M. was installing that Field AFC and swapping out various injectors, adding/removing another inline pump, etc.

This solved his problem as the car begun to run rich 11:1 and the power went up 20hp and the torque increased by 26 ft-lbs.

Are you sure you are talking about the same car? I still have the dyno sheets.

Beckert drove the car 2500 miles back to Missouri and reported hearing what he believed to be pinging.

Lee, I didn't even get 5 miles from the shop before I brought it back with detonation. My car is loud, yes, but I can hear and feel the sound of detonation. Sorry if you can't do so. It isn't a pleasant experience.

But Cybernation's policy being the customer is always right we called a trucking company and ended up paying close to $2000 dollars to have his car trucked back to Florida.

You guys sent an open car carrier, which was obviously not equipped to haul the car, which is why when they were trying to load it (on the ramps that they pulled from a contruction site about a block from where they were trying to load the car), the car fell off of the ramps. Yeah, that was a pretty site. Oh yeah, the guy said that the bill for shipping was $600.

When the car arrived in Florida we found no pinging just that the car was running rich. The trucking company scratched the side step and the front lip as they loaded the car for transport it cost us $850 to have the car’s side steps, front lip and rears spats repainted and glossed.

No reason you should have been responsible for that repair--it was the responsibility of the trucking company. Also, I think the repair was performed at MAACO, but I can't be certain.

While the car sat in our possession his passenger side window stopped working as the 12 year old electronic motor and cable system died from wear and tear, we replaced it at a cost $650 with no charge to Beckert.

This is true. I appreciate that (though I know of no window regulator that costs $650--I'm going to pull this one out to see if it's gold plated)

We installed a $250 FMU also at no cost to Beckert in order to provide additional safety under boost. The FMU will automatically increase the car’s fuel pressure ensuring that the car will not lean out under boost. Beckert picked up his car drove 2500 miles back to Missouri.

I did. The car ran like ass, but at least it got me home. You even called me the morning I was arriving in FL to say the car "just didn't seem right" despite you telling me for weeks to "come on down, absolutely your car will be ready" but you were still working on it. You'd had the car for 2 months. The car should have been right for weeks.

and now claims that the screws form his wastegates are now missing.

I could have taken pictures. Why would I make something like this up?

The last thing that was done to Beckert’s car was the tightening and locking of the wastgagte screws we are puzzled as to why he would claim they are missing.

You should be careful when questioning someones credibility. Are you insinuating that the screws were not missing? Lee, you sent me a huge email saying how sorry you were and that things didn't work out and that you knew the car wasn't right. I'll gladly post that if you would like to see what you had previously sent me.

3. As a company we are saddened when a customer is unhappy and will continue to always do what is right even if it cost us money. Unfortunately no matter how hard you try some customers will never be satisfied but such is the nature of the beast.

I have been a customer for many, many years of several of the vendors that frequent this list. I have also been a member of the NSX community for many years. I believe that my interactions with the professional vendors in this community has been quite positive. I am not certain you can say the same.

4. Ben keep waiting because it won’t be tic, tic, tic, boom it will be tic-tack, tic-tack as the clock won’t stop because no matter how hard you wish it Cybernation will never blow up a NSX.

I would never wish it upon another poor individual who took his/her car to your shop to have it blow up. Oh yeah, that mid 13 second quarter mile is REALLY impressive.

5. Project turbo NSX is going strong we now have 2 turbo NSXes putting out more than any other company could accomplish at 7psi. New videos will be published soon. We are so confident in our turbo design that we are considering offering a warranty against engine damage something no other company in the world would dream of doing with a turbo. Cybernation is still the only company in the world with a working and retailing turbo kit for the Acura RSX that should tell you something.

So when I had picked up the car from Cybernation, it had a ton of lag, wasn't achieving full boost and was fat as a pig. When I was able to get the car on the lift, yes the screws were missing out of the Vane accuators. Unfortunately, the passenger's side turbo's vanes were stuck (either due to excessive heat--likely from the dozens of pulls on the dyno, or from tscrew being out). Either way, the Aerodyne was spent. Unfortunately, as many of you know, Aerodyne is not currently repairing turbos, so with 13 days before NSXPO, we abandoned the Aerodynes and installed a pair of Mitsubishi 14b's. Unfortunately, he have had some teething issues there as well (as anyone that was in TX knows). Hopefully now with the arrival of the AEM EMS I can get the car back into a drivable state.

Lee, I never wanted to get into a pissing match with you. I've always said that you did a great job getting the aero parts in for my car. You seem like a nice guy and have been pleasant with me. Unfortunately you really screwed up my car, whether you want to admit it or not. I wouldn't let you work on any of the vehicles I own and I would discourage anyone from frequenting your shop for tuning. I do hope that others have a positive experience dealing with you and Cybernation.

Best regards,

Ben

Originally posted by cybernation:

I'm being serious, but NOT NOT is kinda a double negative isn't it. So does that mean he is using a Cybernation Turbo Kit, or were you trying to emphasize that he is actually not using your kit???

Originally posted by Decon:
I drove it last week at the drag strip and this...

Times?

------------------
[email protected]
Inventory
  1. 1992 Acura NSX Black
  2. 2002 Audi TT 225 Coupe Black
  3. 2002 Lexus IS 300 Blue
  4. 2001 Nissan Xterra Blue
  5. 1968 Lincoln Sedan Black (Yes the Matrix Car!)
    [/list=a]

WOW,
got an email about this thread, been really busy and have not had a chance to follow up.
we had a very very serious accident on one of my jobs and it has taken every bit of my attention, as well it should, and the tracking and true testing of my car could not have been done.
Don't have much time but will try to help.
1. Wow, sorry you had a bad time with Cybernation, I have had the same types of items go wrong at many shops and found that they are difficult at best to avoid. The main differance that I have found is that the guys at cybernation allways back it up. They always seem to care about every one of my concerns and address them. I would and do recomend them, top notch in my book.
2.Times, Sorry no follow up on them, yes 13s are slow but as I stated in my comment this is a driver and tires problem. I was getting low 12s with less hp on NOS. This is not a Turbo problem.
3. I loved this turbo setup, fast early, low boost, made my car fun to drive again !!!!
4.used a bigger turbo to see any changes, moved power band up, loved this setup as well.
5. I want more power, I want more boost, cybernation will not let me on stock internals, Chickens !!!!.
told them to pull the motor and build it, JE pistons, 9.5 was do for a timing belt change and all that stuff, have a bet with a buddy with an f50 and I want to smoke him. will try anyway.
6. This is my car !! not Cybernations, I choose to post so you guys can help or be helped, please do not blame them for anything I may or may not post. Will get back with more info when things setttle down. thanks for your input.
P.S. Cybernation is the best IMHO.

I'm planning on going by Cybernation later this week, I live about 15mins from there. I'm VERY interested in a turbo kit from them. Even some people have had bad experiances from Sears, but are they a bad store? Maybe the same can be said for Cybernation. I'll check them out, check out their work, and check out the local word on the street. Then I'll post if their kit is good, or if you're better off with Bausch's SC.

SR

They don't have an actual production product though, from what I've heard. Either way, it's best to proceed with extreme caution since the worst that can happen is a blown engine which is about as bad as it gets...

Blown engine...it's only metal, right?
biggrin.gif
I'll check it all out before I decide on a single product. I was actually thinking of installing and AEM PEMS and making my own turbo kit. I would like to use better parts than they would provide with a kit I'm sure.

SR

Decon, Lee when you did your 1/4 mile test, did you have your car re-alligned for the strip? Since the NSX stock allignment is for tracking and when there is tire slip on one tire (even for a milli sec) the car tends to go sideways on straightaways. Producing the power is one thing but putting all the "usable power" to the road is important. I think that a zero (camber/toein..??) would minimize 1/4 mile time and maximize delivery of the most torque that the turbo can produce to the strip. Especially with this much output. This is ofcourse for the car on the strip. Lee I am sure that I am not the only one who want to se this thng succeed. Good luck!
Vance

Stock internals 7 to 8 psi. I have heard of people going higher but you are taking your chances then.

DEAD PROJECT! ARE YOU GUYS INSANE? We have been purposely quite while staying very hard at work. The yellow 3.2-liter is now ready for test drives. We have been testing different turbo configurations on the car for three weeks. We tried three different turbo combinations and finally settled on a stage 5 turbine with a large housing 62 compressor. All I can say is get ready to pee your pants! Fellow NSXers considering boost are welcome to take a test drive. The yellow monster by the way can be seen on page 154 of HCI magazine March 2003 issue. The magazine called it the Honda the flagship with a body kit to die for. Pictures, videos, dyno charts and our first stage II turbo NSX are all coming this week stay tuned. We did dyno the car at 7 psi but the stock clutch was slipping excessively, even so the car still easily made 310 ft-lb of torque at 4000 rpm. We have just finished installing a Clutch Masters stage 4 steel clutch, can’t wait to get it back on the Dynojet.

Back