Cybernation Shows Turbo NSX

I snagged this from the Front of NSXSC.com.

The Kit sounds REALLY good. I cant wait to see more information on it!

Cybernation Motorsports showed their NSX stage 1 turbo kit at the 2002 Import Xpression Showcase which was held at the Miami Beach Convention Center in South Florida over the thanksgiving weekend. The dyno sheet displayed an outstanding 418hp and 375ft-lb of torque to the wheels on 9psi. The numbers on the 3.0 liter NSX are indeed very impressive. At 7psi the Dynojet measured 390whp and 310 ft-lb of torque. The torque numbers are considerably higher than those usually seen from superchargers or similar bolt on turbo systems at the same boost levels. The power comes early with over 300ft-lb of torque being delivered at 3900 rpm. The acceleration is smooth and quick, traveling through the rpm about 30 percent faster than normal. The specialized hybrid T3/T4 combination turbo allows productive spooling to begin as early as 1800 rpm. Power is instant much like a supercharger however the turbo produces significantly more torque and the torque peaks much earlier which translates into faster acceleration. The engine is completely stock except for the Comptech headers and the Cybernation bolt on Turbo kit . The kit includes 550cc injectors, Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo, Greddy type R blow off valve, Spearco flat core intercooler, Cybernation's Black Magic ELF , Apexi VAFC and custom HKS exhaust. The kit will sell for approximately $5000. A test drive is available for anyone near or traveling in the Ft Lauderdale area who is interested in or considering boosting their NSX, for more info call 866-34-cyber.

For anyone that wants to see pics or videos, go to www.nsxsc.com

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 02 December 2002).]

Nice. It's only a matter of time untill heaterchargers..err superchargers won't be considered very often.
smile.gif
My opinion of course.

[This message has been edited by true (edited 02 December 2002).]

Sounds good. Can anyone in that area take it out for a test-drive and post back? I'd be more interested in personal feedback. Sounds like a sweet setup though.

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

I drove it last week at the drag strip and this weekend several trips back and forth from Miami to Boynton Beach. Oh my God, this car is crazy, power so soon and slam into red line. and the sound? just wild.
if anyone wants to try it, lets go. I would love an unbiased opinion of a good driver that has or drives a supercharged NSX. Thinking about taking it to the track a see what good driver can do and hammer it and tell me there true feelings. I drive fast but not very well, don't know how to explain all the power and boost stuff, know I love it. and the drivers of the turbo M3 and the ZO6 that watched me pull away in every gear are still wondering what happened. It turns out they were both really nice and could not stop smiling and asking where they could get an NSX. What a blast.
Open invite for anyone from NSX Prime or NSXSC who wants to drive it.
sorry so long, just excited.
Joe

[This message has been edited by Decon (edited 02 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Decon (edited 02 December 2002).]

I say someone "test drive" this bad boy at Sebring or some other track and see how it holds up. Especialy on stock internals. IMHO, if Cybernation or any other FI up-and-comer wants to sell a bunch of units, proof of reliability during rigorous track testing is a must.

That said, this turbo system sounds awesome! Especially at this price point. Good job Cybernation!

How does it use a Comptech header w/ the turbo setup? Did they modify it for the turbos?? Or, is it a typo and they have their own exhaust manifold for the turbos?

Jeff

Originally posted by true:
Nice. It's only a matter of time untill heaterchargers..err superchargers won't be considered very often.
smile.gif
My opinion of course.

People have been saying that for many years. I would LOVE to see it, but first someone will need to demonstrate:

A) A true kit (i.e. order it and have your local guy install it)
B) 25 of the same kit installed with no "issues".. Heck 10 would be a good start!
C) Proven reliability (including at the track, not just the drag strip or "driving fast around town")

Like I said I'd LOVE to see it, and there are some great turbo setups out there, but the fact is nobody since Bell has even come close to delivering on all three points (or even two or one in some cases), which IMO is the bare minimum to be considered a successful kit. I hope someone DOES do all this, I think it will be great.

IMO the kits for the NSX currently include only the Comptech SC and the Gruppe M SC (though less than 25 GMSCs are installed in the US, I believe more are installed in Japan).

We used to have the Bell turbo kit (despite it's fuel management issues!) and the RM nitrous kit as well but both are discontinued right now.

The Basch supercharger is not quite to "kit" stage yet (as far as I know you still have to get Mark to install it), but it is probably closest of anything else out there at this point and I would not be surprised to see it ship as a true "kit" sometime next year.

Everything else I've seen is basically a custom install or a one-off. Hopefully that will change.

P.S. What is "Cybernation's Black Magic ELF"?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 02 December 2002).]

Now we're talking!

However:

There seems to be a distinct lack of air filter in the pics. Type/location/plumbing for that are not insignificant.

The exhaust side plumbing looks a bit pre-production. It also looks like it may not be stainless, which would be a drag.

I guess the Black Magic ELF is their fuel system control. Yes? I'd need to know a lot more about that. Getting the fuel right and knowing that it will remain right is the most important thing they can do.

Anyone with info on the above please do post it here.

I think the track testing is a must. This is where th BBSCers had problems.

I think you are right about the Black magic box. I believe it is there fuel management system. I think there is a small amount of info about it on there web site. I don't know how much they will tell you though.

"The dyno sheet displayed an outstanding 418hp and 375ft-lb of torque to the wheels on 9psi. The numbers on the 3.0 liter NSX are indeed very impressive. At 7psi the Dynojet measured 390whp and 310 ft-lb of torque."

375?????????????

Originally posted by Lud:
People have been saying that for many years. I would LOVE to see it, but first someone will need to demonstrate:

A) A true kit (i.e. order it and have your local guy install it)
B) 25 of the same kit installed with no "issues".. Heck 10 would be a good start!
C) Proven reliability (including at the track, not just the drag strip or "driving fast around town")

Like I said I'd LOVE to see it, and there are some great turbo setups out there, but the fact is nobody since Bell has even come close to delivering on all three points (or even two or one in some cases), which IMO is the bare minimum to be considered a successful kit. I hope someone DOES do all this, I think it will be great.

IMO the kits for the NSX currently include only the Comptech SC and the Gruppe M SC (though less than 25 GMSCs are installed in the US, I believe more are installed in Japan).

We used to have the Bell turbo kit (despite it's fuel management issues!) and the RM nitrous kit as well but both are discontinued right now.

The Basch supercharger is not quite to "kit" stage yet (as far as I know you still have to get Mark to install it), but it is probably closest of anything else out there at this point and I would not be surprised to see it ship as a true "kit" sometime next year.

Everything else I've seen is basically a custom install or a one-off. Hopefully that will change.

P.S. What is "Cybernation's Black Magic ELF"?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 02 December 2002).]

One of our goals at Cybernation is to produce a true turbo kit for the NSX, one where the installation is easy enough to be performed by any local shop. The design has been kept simple, nothing needs to be relocated and the engine bay is virtually untouched. The design objectives have been met by the prototype and we foresee no major changes once testing is complete and the product is ready to be shipped.

Another important goal is to keep the price low, which will be less than $5000 and still deliver a high quality product. We accomplished this by using interchangeable parts among our turbo kits. The NSX, the RSX and the S2000 will all share the same intercooler, turbo charger, blow-off valve, injectors and fuel management system.

Proven reliability and affordability will ultimately accomplish the goal of selling and installing hopefully more than 25 kits, but it will take time. However we intend to cut the time short by initially outfitting three NSXes with turbos for testing under different conditions. There will we two 3.0 liters and 1 3.2 liter. One 3.0 and the 3.2 will be driven under normal conditions with some drag racing. The other 3.0 will be tested primarily on the track.

We have a solid fuel management system and an innovative plan for SUCCESS ON THE TRACK, which is basically upgrading the cars cooling system to keep the engine temperature stable under boost. A couple of key ingredients will be the oil cooler and the water injection system.

We have the ability, the facility and the passion to develop a successful NSX turbo kit as defined in A, B, and C above and given the current turbo systems technology available today we no reason why the kit won't be a reality soon.

The Black Magic ELF provides several features including wide band fuel management and allows us to turbo theoretically any car even the 2002 NSX.

--------- answers to other questions posted.

The comptech header was already on the car. The stock header or manifold will work just fine with the turbo.

A filter will be installed on the turbo along with a cold air intake breathing from the left side scoop.

[This message has been edited by cybernation (edited 03 December 2002).]

Cybernation!

You guys rock! Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the NSX. At your price point, I don't think you will have much trouble getting the 25 cars. I know I am planning to be one of them down the line..

Sounds like a very good plan and product! Please keep us up to speed on its progress! If it proves to be all that, you may have an order. =)

Originally posted by cybernation:
...We accomplished this by using interchangeable parts among our turbo kits. The NSX, the RSX and the S2000 will all share the same intercooler, turbo charger, blow-off valve, injectors and fuel management system.

OK on the injectors, fuel management and possibly BOV, but the same turbo and intercooler? Am I taking you too literally?

Brian, It ran a 13.3, and a 14.4 man these #s are bad. Don't blame the car, I just can't get it to hook up. Spun all the way down the track, went sideways, on street tires. Moroso was packed and I could only get two runs in. will try and rent track and put on the drag radials and post results. I was running 12.2 with the NOS and should be in the 11s. a better driver will make a huge differance, I still shake like a leaf at the light.
drove it again today, man is it fun.
spoke with Lee, will try and have her ready for the track in seabring I think by the 14th? not sure, will try and video it and post it. Will video some in car stuff to, I hope you guys like it.
P.S. I do not work for or own any part of Cybernation, These guys are just really great. I gave them my car and said "get it on", send me the bill, as you can see they are.They loose more sleep over it than I do.
All the guys over there want this thing to work and if anyone can make it so, I believe they can.

SJS, Yup so far all the same, as for now, I have seen the several RSX kits and the NSX one, and they are the same.

Burnmacs,
Will find slips and post them, all I can remember was the guy in the timing light booths eyes about pop out of his head when I went sideways during the burnout.
.47 rt.
The crowd went nuts on both runs, all were on there feet, the blow off screams.

[This message has been edited by Decon (edited 03 December 2002).]

Hi 8000,
trying to get info, may try Moroso this week with new tires, will have all the slips and video, anyone want to come and help? Its a blast and the Hienekin is on me !!!

Originally posted by Decon:
SJS, Yup so far all the same, as for now, I have seen the several RSX kits and the NSX one, and they are the same.

So a 2.0 engine is using the same turbo as a 3.2. Perhaps the smaller one is running much higher boost? Even then I'm not sure a turbo map guru would choose the same internals (turbine, compressor etc.) for both applications. Historically, selecting the right turbo guts has been the second toughest part of designing a great system as opposed to one that works, and the least understood by DIY and small custom shops. (Fuel systems of course being the toughest, but at least people have a grasp of A/F ratios.) But hey, maybe they ran the appropriate formulas and found that it works out just fine.

Maybe they use the same turbo with different internals.

My question is if the turbo is on the right rear of the car how are you going to plumb it to the left side scoop? Won't this long of a tube increase the turbo lag?

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 03 December 2002).]

sounds good to me. Wish I were a little closer to them. I could go test drive and compare with my BBSC.
Killer $$ too.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Back