CTSC: 5speed vs. 6speed

For those of you that have the CTSC. What is the best transmission for this FI. I have a 93 and I'm kinda missing the 6speed gear ratio of my 97. If I'm planning to CTSC my car, would putting in 6 speed trans be worth it? I like the close gear ratio but maybe in a CTSC it is better to leave it as a 5 speed?? Can those that have the CTSC give me a pro or conn as to which transmission is best? Thanks. My use of the car is occasional DD and also tracking the car.

If your are getting CTSC, 5 speed will give you better usable range. The added torque will more than eliminate the 1-2 out of vtec flat spot. Mine SC added 50 ft/lbs of torque from 2500 rpm -7500 rpm. 6 spd. will be waste of money in this case. Just add CTSC= :):smile:

I take it that there is no real opinions on this subject.:confused:
Except Eiffel, thanks.

Last edited:
Coming from my BBSC(5sp) to N\A (5sp/6sp) to CTSC (6sp). I agree with Eiffel. The 1-2 bog was worked through with the added torque. However I still think the 6sp was the best bang for my buck while I was N\A. I feel the same way now with my CTSC

Chudson,
If I'm understanding you correctly, you think the 1-2 gear lag is overcome by adding CTSC, yet you also think that the 6speed is best bang for the CTSC as well?:confused:

Chudson,
If I'm understanding you correctly, you think the 1-2 gear lag is overcome by adding CTSC, yet you also think that the 6speed is best bang for the CTSC as well?:confused:
I do... on both accounts... I have never had my car with the CTSC/5sp. I swapped my 5sp out between BBSC and CTSC. So, I was N/A/6sp for about a year before I went back to FI...That's why I say "For Me"...I still like my 6sp with the CTSC. Possible, (playing the what if game) If I didn't do the swap and stayed 5sp with my CTSC, I could be saying something different. I like my 6sp

Last edited:
I have the 5-speed with shorties and a 4.23 R&P. This set-up works great for me.

So you are running 5 speed short gears with your CTSC? You don't feel like your having to shift too fast?

No, I love it. I don't drag race the car, nor do I race from stop light to stop light. I use the car in the mountains and on canyon drives where I never really have to dip into 1st gear. So the usable gearing from 2nd through 5th is perfect.

Last edited:
So I take it 5-speed with shorties is just like having 6-speed.

Chopjazz is NA, do not have SC installed.

Oh....Well in that case, I'll ignore his comment..:biggrin:
In my opinion for NA either 6-speed or short gears in a must....
I'm hoping that with my 5 speed that adding the CTSC will eliminate the need for a close gear setup.

I'm running the 5 speed with the shorties AND the JDM 4.23 R&P with 2 small turbos.
I like the close and lower gearing and was aiming to get more low end performance.
I am running over-sized 295-35-18 tires that offset the 4.23 R&P.
I like the shorties.

I'm running the 5 speed with the shorties AND the JDM 4.23 R&P with 2 small turbos.
I like the close and lower gearing and was aiming to get more low end performance.
I am running over-sized 295-35-18 tires that offset the 4.23 R&P.
I like the shorties.

I have the same gears with the Angus turbo and I like it. I've never driven an NSX without the short gears though. When cruising on the freeway sometimes I wish I had a 6 speed.

I have an Intercooled CTSC with short gears and 4.235 R&P and absolutely enjoy it. I agree with Cozmo, "When cruising on the freeway sometimes I wish I had a 6 speed." So with that stated, I would recommend a 6spd with the 4.235 R&P.

My car came with 5speed short gears and 4.23 rp NA. It felt great. It had a low boost CTSC felt smooth quick.

Now I have bigger supercharger than the standard CTSC blower, it is awesome. Wouldn't change a thing.

Yes, I had a 6 speed to install at my disposal but chose against it. 5 speed tranny hold up better. 6th gear great for freeway.

I would stay with stock 5speed if turbo with excess off 500hp or 400 torque.

So, I agree with Chopjazz, M3456.

It is true that you can put a SC in a 5-speed to eliminate the 1-2 flat spot and be done with it, however, the proper way to set up a car is to have the right gear ratio thus the shorties and 4.23 is the right approach for FI or NA.

I have a 6-spd and NA, with 275/35/18 and oem 4.06. Although I don't have the 1-2 flat spot,
I am only turning 3k rpm at 80 mph so the right gear for me would be adding the OS Giken 4.44 or at least adding the 4.23 gear to gain some acceleration.
Then, if I want to go SC or Turbo in the future, I don;t have to reverse-engineer my set up.

Back