CTSC 3.2 NSX vs V8 R8?

Dave, I didn't run the same days as the Audis, R&T rented the track for their exclusive use. Plus, my times are my best laps I have recorded on my data logger. But nice to know comparing my best to their "pro" driver on the same track.

The best lap I have personally witnessed is Danny Popp driving his modified C5 Z06 at a 1:10 flat which even smokes the R8 Grand Am's time by 2.2 seconds. I have also seen stock C6 Z06s run in the 1:15-16 range with Hoosiers.

Last edited:
The difference was actually 15-18 not 15-19. From 18-19 they got the same results. Also that's only on a straight line. On a road course, the effect will be much greater as heavier wheels affect ride, handling, braking, and acceleration, not just acceleration.
You're correct, the acceleration is only half of the data. A few things I noticed which are interesting:
1) The difference between the 15" and 19" weight is 14lbs of unsprung weight (56lbs total).
2) The heavier 18" & 19" set has both a better braking distance AND a higher lateral G. Therefore it would seem that the 18 or 19" set would potentially have better lap times depending on the track.

Also 0-60 was off by .3 seconds, going from 15 to 18.

0.3 seconds in a drag race between an Audi R8 and a CTSC NSX can be a matter of a win to a loss.

The 0-60 difference is 0.3 seconds, but the quarter mile difference is only 0.2 and 2mph. Remember that's with only 170hp motor and a 56lb unsprung weight difference (14lbs per wheel)!

You are correct though a 0.2 second difference at the end of a quarter mile is about a 2 car length difference...

Honestly I think a 3.2 NSX with Ihe could probably keep up with an r8.

All this talk of CTSC NSX's makes me wish I I had one in my NSX :(

Is a CTSC really that fast compared to a stock one? I know my SOS boosted s2000 makes the regular N/A s2000 feel like a Yugo, is this the same feeling? hehe

I've been looking at a R8 v10 Spyder (I know the convertible is heavier) but I love the drop top and hearing the motor. How would a Spyder v10 r8 hang with the CTSC NSX? Given the extra weight but with the v10 motor that should offset things right?

To OP, did you race yet?

Is a CTSC really that fast compared to a stock one? I know my SOS boosted s2000 makes the regular N/A s2000 feel like a Yugo, is this the same feeling? hehe

I've been looking at a R8 v10 Spyder (I know the convertible is heavier) but I love the drop top and hearing the motor. How would a Spyder v10 r8 hang with the CTSC NSX? Given the extra weight but with the v10 motor that should offset things right?

To OP, did you race yet?

An FI NSX and an NA one feel like two different cars. I have torque. You don't. LOL

You can buy mine if you want when I go twin turbo I need even more torque. LOL

You can buy mine if you want when I go twin turbo I need even more torque. LOL

Don't tempt me! How much power are you making to the wheels?

We're you also considering a R8 at one point?

I know 2 people who had the R8 here in Hawaii and both of them dropped the car. One for a new 911 with a performance upgrade and the other for Ferrari. They both said that it's a pretty car, but handles like a boat. THe guy who has the Ferrari used to have an NSX and said there's no comparison between the NSX and the R8. He'd rather have the NSX all day long.

Don't tempt me! How much power are you making to the wheels?

We're you also considering a R8 at one point?

I have had anywhere from a low of 320 to a high of 396 depending on dyno and day. It's crazy. But most read around 370ish.

I was considering an R8, drove a stick R8 and loved it, more than a GTR. But let's face it. For an exotic, an NSX is super cheap to keep, maintain, upgrade, etc I have a Maserati in the family, an oil change at the dealer is $450. You can do soooooooo many mods to an NSX and still spend less that you would on a newer exotic. Just the insurance difference, the excise tax difference, the maintenance difference, it's nuts. You can get the best most high end mods for your NSX and the nature of the car keeps costs in check. Not to mention all your mods can sell for a pretty penny in the marketplace and the sheer rarity of the car... There's nothing else like it. Is it a better overall car than a modern R8 or a V10 R8? No... It isn't. It's just old, plain and simple. But it doesn't look old, act old, drive old. It doesn't break like its old. And most of all, it just doesn't cost you all that much. That's why I kept it. With a few mods the car looks so unbelievably unique and fast, it just looks better than an R8 IMO. I was making videos in an office parking lot a few days ago and security turns on its lights and comes by.... I was like "crap now I gotta leave". Dude rolls down his window and says "oh man is that an NSX? It looks so good. You wanna sell it? No. OK see you later"

To OP, did you race yet?

CTSC makes the NSX feel like it has a V8. Same TQ curve, same linear power. Its sweet. :)

To OP, did you race yet?

From the New Road and Track

R8 V8 0-60 4.5, 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 109.

A lightly modded NA2 nsx can do this.

R8 v10 spyder 0-60: 3.8 1/4:12.1 @117

I don't think a CTSC NA2 NSX will hang with that. It should toast a R8 V8 though.

I think the NSX with a V8 would solve a lot of the power / sound issues and really set its position as a true exotic. If the supercharger makes the car run like a V8 I can see why you guys who have it love it so much.

My s2000 with the SOS supercharger puts out about 320 rwhp with the conservative tune running a cat and restrictive 63mm dual exhaust. The car is un-godly fast for such a small motor and lightweight chassis.

My NSX feels pretty anemic compared to the s2000 and quite tame.

Problem for us is 4/7 of our household cars are 2-seaters which renders them useless 80% of the time as we have two kids now. So I end up most of the time driving one of our SUV’s or the family hybrid car. I want a performance car that I can enjoy with the kids and it seems only the GTR and Porsche still offer rear 2+2 type seating. I’ve played with the idea of a coupe and asked myself, could I live with bending in/out to put the kid in the baby seat. Realistically I think I’m selling one of my s2000’s and getting into a Panamera Turbo or X5M / M5 since those cars are fast but also practical. I love the R8 and my wife is ok with me getting one but it would just be another car that sits in our garage most of the time like my NSX.

Decisions, decisions….argh!

From the New Road and Track

R8 V8 0-60 4.5, 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 109.

A lightly modded NA2 nsx can do this.

R8 v10 spyder 0-60: 3.8 1/4:12.1 @117

I don't think a CTSC NA2 NSX will hang with that. It should toast a R8 V8 though.
Well like i mentioned my car with 400whp didnt pull on my friends 2012 R8. So i guess the intake/exhaust and reflashed ECU gave him much more power than the 40hp they claim. Also explain to me why many Nsx that post in this forum are trapping 117mph in the 1/4 mile with 400whp and people think a lightly modded Nsx will trap 109mph like stated above? Doesnt seem to add up to me. My friend and I drove 25 miles on the interstate playing around and it was dead even just about everytime. I also had my car corner balanced with a full tank of fuel and it came in at 3070lbs. I have taken weight out of my car so its not exactly a pig and im running 17/18 for wheels

Last edited:
I think the NSX with a V8 would solve a lot of the power / sound issues and really set its position as a true exotic. If the supercharger makes the car run like a V8 I can see why you guys who have it love it so much.
NSX with a V8 yes, but losing the great motor sound for a whining SC is a downside to me.

Well like i mentioned my car with 400whp didnt pull on my friends 2012 R8. So i guess the intake/exhaust and reflashed ECU gave him much more power than the 40hp they claim. Also explain to me why many Nsx that post in this forum are trapping 117mph in the 1/4 mile with 400whp and people think a lightly modded Nsx will trap 109mph like stated above? Doesnt seem to add up to me. My friend and I drove 25 miles on the interstate playing around and it was dead even just about everytime. I also had my car corner balanced with a full tank of fuel and it came in at 3070lbs. I have taken weight out of my car so its not exactly a pig and im running 17/18 for wheels

Road and Track consistently gets lower trap speed numbers than any other magazine. I remember seeing them get a trap speed of 120 for the C6 Z06 and 125 for the ZR1. They must race uphill. Add about 2 to 3 mph to their trap speed numbers.

They even got a trap speed of only 119 for the new upgraded GTR where everyone else got 123.

Remember NA2 esp the coupes are strong with I/H/E. Some make ~280+rwhp. Factor in the timing pull from a hot CTSC and you could be down 30 to 40 hp from a dyno run.

Friend's R8 GT 109 trap + 2 curve for R&T = 111 trap + 40hp = 115 trap
Your NSX 400wrhp = 119 trap down 40hp due to heat = 360rwhp = 115 trap
Other NSX 280wrhp NSX = 109 trap

Some coupes were well below 3000lbs which is how some people (a small few) in the past with the coupes were pulling 110 and 111 trap speeds.

Back