Craig's list has a nice 5000 mi. 91 red for sale

This low miler isn't for everyone, but it's a great opportunity to find one that hasn't been screwed with as others have mentioned. So if you have the money it would be a good car.

The idea that buying a car like this and having possibly 40k in it doesn't appeal to some but it's still way cheaper than a lambo - that isn't even close!

If I had the money and like NSXs and could justify a premium of 4 or 5k for the opportunity and then sink another 5k in it to start driving it - what the heck - drive it. This idea that it's a collector and you shouldn't drive it is crazy! If you want to drive an NSX and have plenty of cash and like red of course - then what's the difference in buying this and driving it or a real low mile 2005 - big deal - you're either a driver or a collector - only you can decide which catagory you fall into. But if you want to experience one that is gonna be pretty damn close to new - then this could be it.

Why not - folks spend 40k on lots of cars. I still say it's not a bad deal especially if you could negotiate him to whatever you think is reasonable or somewhere in between. It's a good car and that is the bottom line - it's a good car and a good find. Is it worth it - well some would say we're all crazy so what!

- well some would say we're all crazy so what!

That is true... I remember after getting mine, for what I felt and still do was a great car for a great price... a friend who owns a used car dealership who I stopped by to see if he had any contacts to ship cars... but didn't really since he gets most of his cars locally, asked what I paid. I didn't give him the exact price, but told him in the 20's. He was like "for an Acura?" He thought I was nutz. But I do think he changed his mind after he saw it.

I was amazed he is a car guy, owns a used car lot, and has had several vettes over the years, didn't know what an NSX was.

Or the Utah State Trouper that pulled me over on my trip home... about 10 miles west of Salt Lake City. It was about 8 PM, dark. Pulled me over, asked for me why the car didn't have a license plate. I told him, because I had just purchased it and was driving it home.

I had all the legit paper work, DMV transport paperwork and all, since the person I purchased it from worked at a dealership (but I purchased it private party).

I was quite nice, the trouper was kind of a smart @%%. Asked me, "what's so special about an NnnnnSssssXxxx. Is it suppose to be super fast or something?"

My response was "I'm not sure, probably the fastest car I've ever owned."

I was doing 80 mph in a 75 mph zone.

Anyway, when he looked at the bill of sale he said, "you paid this for a 91?" I answered "yes.". He looked at me like I was an IDIOT. Then he gave me ny paperwork and let me go on with my trek home.

I actually believe he felt sorry for me, for being so stupid to pay that much for a car that was almost 17 years old at the time.

To each his own... apparently judging from the market prices, there are plenty of other crazy people like me out there... or want to be's...

Last edited:
Okay, I am a mechanical engineer also so I thought I would jump in this discussion. I understand where Big_D is coming from. If they didn't drain the fuel from the car to have it in storage that will be gnarly too. That list he came up with is pretty good. It is one of those ads that look really good until you put some thought into it. I don't like the idea of getting a low mileage NSX either. I would feel like I couldn't drive the car much since it is more of a museum piece than anything.

Again, this will appeal to someone who wants a pristine car.

If you want a pristine car, it's cheaper to buy this car and replace the engine, than it is to buy one that's been driven regularly and restore the interior/exterior. This is assuming you can even get new interior parts, which for many of them, you can't get anymore at any price.

Of course, if you don't care about having a pristine car, then none of this matters.

That said, it goes without saying, a pristine car with maintenance would be even better.

Any 91-95 will take about 5K to bring up to par after you buy it, unless the guy that you just bought it from just did it, and that's unlikely. Just like the timing belt, it's the age not the mileage. All the hoses, gaskets, belts, etc. (and there are a lot of them) are 15-19years old, high mileage or not. Honda makes great cars, but time kills all this stuff period. So if you are buying or have just bought, or still own one of these great older cars, low or high miles, It's time to go see your local NSX Tech and bite the bullet, spend the 4-5K and bring it back to as close to new as possible. You owe it to the NSX. I did it (80 k), Tim did it (43 K), Kenny is doing it (28 K), now it's your turn.:smile: By the way Kenny, Ben promises he will have your car back in time for the open house on the 8th. Any one in the DC/Balt region up for an NSX party come on by.:smile: The post is on the DC board.

I may be of a little bit of help...

My low miler experience.....

My car had about 26,500 miles when I purchased it.

Cosmetically pristine, both interior and exterior.
Original owner upgraded to 1997 OEM wheels, but everthing else completely stock.
New Tires. Bridgestone S03, all around.
New Clutch (by Acura Dealer)
A/C Converted to 134a (by Acura Dealer) & blows cold!

Since then....

Flush all fluids...transmission, oil, brake, replace 17 old fuel filter....$408.52

Remove Fuel Injectors for balancing service (witch hunters) report showed they definitely needed it done (one injector was leaking, others didn't flow at OEM spec) $119.00

Remove/Replace Injectors (Labor) $385.00

Oil pan gasket leak, timing belt, alternator belt, timing belt cover, waterpump, coolant flush $1709.31

Leather wrap (knee bolster, under steering wheel) recover labor $125.00

ABS flush required (solenoid stuck) DIY job

Remove/Replace Spark Plugs (factory OEM plugs, hadn't been replaced) DIY job $50 new plugs

Door Windows Greased DIY Job $20 Grease Hi-Temp Honda Stuff

Climate Control Repair (Board Only) BrianK $145.00 (Labor to remove/reinstall was DIY)

Trunk Struts (Strutwise) $51.18 (Labor to remove/reinstall was DIY)

Front-License Plate Frame (keep it legal) Dali Racing $53.00

Total to make mechanically perfect (at least perfect for me....) $3,066.01

Certainly not a comprehensive list, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what may be required and approximately how much it will cost. I had my car serviced at David McDavid Acura here in Austin, TX.

This may continue to be Edited as I remember the things that I have done this year since I have purchased the car....

Last edited:
damn that car is gorgeous...it is my DREAM nsx(other than a zanardi), same year, same color, all stock. id be on a plane to sf right now if timing and money werent any issue.

ive read over and over in this thread and others just like it over time immemorial on the drawbacks of buying a low-mileage car that literally "sat" thru all these years. i will NEVER be convinced by any argument that postulates this is a bad idea. these NSXs are HONDAS that were ahead of their time and engineering. they were/are flagship cars from a decorated company famous for their build and design quality. when my time comes to buy, a low-mileage NSX and some common sense will go a long way for me. besides, if you cringe when its time to pay the dealer the money to update the maintenance of your newly bought low-mileage original, can you really afford the car? its a small price to pay for a mint time-capsule if you ask me...

Is the timing belt on this car a concern? Why? Manufacturer says good for 90K miles. Assume stored in climate control of 70 degrees...maybe not!! Why change because the manufacturer says 90K miles or 6-7years??

Is the timing belt on this car a concern? Why? Manufacturer says good for 90K miles. Assume stored in climate control of 70 degrees...maybe not!! Why change because the manufacturer says 90K miles or 6-7years??

Some people think the belt will be strong enough to last other's like myself don't. I'd just go and replace it knowing that whenever you take the car out for a spin you won't be worrying about a new engine. That's peace of mind.

Like many have said if you can't afford to replace such items then you can't afford to own a NSX. Regardless of time or mileage (whichever comes first) the manufacturer knows and stipulates it for a reason, because it could fail.

Just depends on whether or not you're feeling lucky...:wink:

Why? Because its 18 years old!!!

I'm glad to hear some of these comments about low milers - it sounds like some of you think it's a good deal like I do. You just have to pay the premium and this one since it's owned by an individual should be negotiable to an extent.

Remember that white one that has 14k on it and the dealer dude has a video on the car - that car is just like this red one and that dealer paid 37k for it. That ought to tell you something right there!!! Of course he bought it for resale - so this red one is most likely worth it. I'd still try and get it for no more than 35k.

I'd start driving that car as soon as I got the maintenance issues done and never look back. I mean guys mine looks like a new car but for a few rock chips - the paint and the interior is in great shape - the more I drive it the more wear - so what - I mean what the hell do you buy a car like this for unless it's to drive - looking at a car sitting in your drive with no intention of selling just to say you have one - I mean the fun is behind the wheel IMHO. That's just me - others get a charge out of making a car look brand new - I have a good buddy just like that. Whatever floats your boat - but drive I will and enjoy the car as it was meant to be - DRIVEN!

Somebody go get that red one! This owner is ripe for the picking and you gotta believe there can't be that many left!

Batman- you wouldn't offer him anything cause your gonna sell your NSX cause it's "old and tired" and not a "performer". First of all you gotta like these cars to want to own one; if you don't like em then no need talking about it. Someone else will buy it.

Tim

LOL Tim, You have owned your NSX for a month or so and you are already defending it and poking Batman:biggrin: That's a good sign of your love for the NSX!

Regarding the car,

An NSX isn't a Ferrari. There is something seriously wrong IMHO with having a NSX garage queen. The beauty of a NSX is the fact that the car can be driven daily, tracked, valet parked, etc etc. Its not going to rust so DRIVE it.

Personally, I would rather buy a 50K mile NSX with ALL proper maintenance than this car.

I would agree that buying a car with some miles on it is a good idea too, like I did- mine had 41k on it and has some nicks and a few little scratches, but overall it looks super and is in great shape now that I've spent 5k on it.

That's the trouble with this idea of finding a higher mile car as NSXLuvr suggest with "ALL" the maintenance done - they aren't out there. Having all the maintenance done on high miler or a low miler is super rare - I haven't seen but one - and it was a low miler with all the maintenance done - "rollingthunder" or something like that bought the car and it was 36k and had 17k miles. It was so rare that I doubt another exists out there and still I bet there will be something it needs.

So you have to figure all this stuff into the equation don't you. The guy that owned that 17k mile white one - "casper" as he called it and pics are in the archive - was a very particular owner - his advice was to find a low miler - as I've said before and passed it along from Mark the previous owner - you can fix mechanical issues - but you can't roll that odometer back in time. That's a true statement and the idea here is that what is that worth? It's not that any of us wouldn't like to have that low miler - we just don't know if the premium you pay is worth the price of admission - right!

I mean we just can't get a grip on what that car is gonna be worth once some miles get put on it - that's not really fair either. You see buying a car as a collector is not the wisest thing with the NSX, although they hold their value better than any other sports car I know of, they eventually depreciate - just like the one Mark sold. He paid a lot more for it than what he sold it for. Find another one with lowish miles that's had everything done! I'd like to see one and he told me they come along about once in a year or two and he said also that he searched for his for 5 years - now I don't know about the rest of you but at 59 I ddn't feel like I had 5 years to look. I couldn't stand the thought of that - so I bought mine with 41k miles for 28k and put 5k in it. So did I get a good deal? You tell me. Is 33k too much for a really nice 91 with "ALL" the maintenance done - would I have given 36k for 17k miles and all of it done - yep I would have and I tried like hell to get that one but I was too late.

As I go around my car with my wax and look at all the little nicks, stone chips, and scratches and some of the minor wear on the interior I wonder what that 17k miler looked like with all original paint on every surface and very few rock chips and no scratches and a perfect interior! I wonder if I'll be able to get some of those scratches out with an orbital polisher and all kinds of step 1-4 Griot products or whether I'm just fighting a loosing battle. Shouldn't I just drive it - keep it really clean - and forget about concours quality and look at as just another car??? But it isn't just another car now is it - it's a fabulous machine built in one very special extraordinary time of automotive excellence and new thinking from Honda that set the pace for engine technology - albeit a little old now - and all aluminum construction for what I consider a very reasonable price! They really don't build em like that anymore - men with little hammers and files working the body to perfect fit and paint that is far beyond what is normal - even for Porsche. It's not a Ferarri - but it beat em out at the time and cost less - way less.

So we have to be the judge as to what these cars are worth and how we're going to "live" with em and fix them and polish them to perfection - is it worth it???? For me the answer is yes - absolutely - and I'm going to drive the poo out of it. I took it out a couple of times this weekend and man - what a ride - I can't wait to take it on a really long cruise up in the mountains and really get it out and give it a romp! I think that's what Honda built the car for - not too look at - what about you guys???

If you see Ben please tell him I would like to get her back before the GTG. I want to install my new seats! :smile:

Any 91-95 will take about 5K to bring up to par after you buy it, unless the guy that you just bought it from just did it, and that's unlikely. Just like the timing belt, it's the age not the mileage. All the hoses, gaskets, belts, etc. (and there are a lot of them) are 15-19years old, high mileage or not. Honda makes great cars, but time kills all this stuff period. So if you are buying or have just bought, or still own one of these great older cars, low or high miles, It's time to go see your local NSX Tech and bite the bullet, spend the 4-5K and bring it back to as close to new as possible. You owe it to the NSX. I did it (80 k), Tim did it (43 K), Kenny is doing it (28 K), now it's your turn.:smile: By the way Kenny, Ben promises he will have your car back in time for the open house on the 8th. Any one in the DC/Balt region up for an NSX party come on by.:smile: The post is on the DC board.

Hi,

Has anyone from Prime actually went and saw the car? or had it inspected?

Thank you.

Howdy every one, so here is a question to add to this discussion. When you take that 18 year old timing belt out and replace it, how old was/is the timing belt that is going back in?

After doing some searching and my search skills are admittley poor, I could find no information on determining how long the "new" timing belts have set on the storage shelf for. Anyone know?

Ty B.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1290762254.html

Hey Guys,

the above link is for a Craig's list add. Anyone looking for a pristine 91 with only 5000 miles on it may find this interesting. Worth a call especially if you like red, which is what the color of this one is. Says it was serviced 7/09, don't know anything more than what the ad says.

Check it out!

tbromley,

Do you recall how much was the seller asking?

I think it was upper 30's or low 40's

Back