Cooling for Turbo?

Depends how much cooling flow you can get to the air-air intercooler. If you can get good airflow, the air-air is probably better depending on ambient air temperature since you don't have issues with heat retention by the "water." With poor airflow, you get heatsoak of the IC very quickly. In the NSX, air-water is probably best unless you are going to use a vented engine cover with a scoop if you are looking at a high boost application. Low boost? air-air is probably sufficient depending on the location of the IC. Me, I was air-air and now air-water but I am high boost, low compression. Others have also had success using methanol-water injection to lower intake temperatures and this would also be another reasonable alternative.
Tim

There really is no good amount of airflow in the rear/ engine compartment to cool an air/air IC. Even the hood scoop method has the IC sitting on top to the hot engine, something the STI guys have complained about (TMIC = top mount IC), and they have a dedicated hoop scoop with good airflow in the front. Go Air/liquid with a good electric water pump and front mounted radiator.

Regards,

Danny

I generally agree with Tim and everyone else in this thread, air to water is probably the way to go for the NSX specifically(for most people/hp). I am still not done trying to find a good air to air solution for big power, we'll see how it goes on my car(I have a whole new design/setup then the earlier intercooler). Only thing is I have no idea when I'll finish my car in order to report back.

There really is no good amount of airflow in the rear/ engine compartment to cool an air/air IC. Even the hood scoop method has the IC sitting on top to the hot engine, something the STI guys have complained about (TMIC = top mount IC), and they have a dedicated hoop scoop with good airflow in the front. Go Air/liquid with a good electric water pump and front mounted radiator.

+ 1

Typically a TMIC is not the preferential design in a FR road car, let alone ME road car. The proximity to the engine will warm them and reduce their overall efficiency under sustained use.

To the original question, a heat exchanger is preferable in a road car context. Putting a little extra heat into the cooling system will be just fine for the street. Just get a bigger radiator and fan.

Even in a racing vehicle, it would take a significant level of modification to implement an air to air solution well. Just watch what Honda does. See the big side scoops for the SMIC's on the Le Mans GT-1??? That's pretty much along the lines of what you need to get the job done- and that is assuming you are going fast for extended durations which you aren't. Speed drops, air-flow stagnates- it's that simple.

GT1-NSX-1995-47(4)-big.jpg

Below, probably 180 square inches per side of surface area would flow something on the order of 13,500 CFM at an average course speed of 120mph. i.e. not going to happen on the I5.

nsx-20050523050611776.jpg

Last edited:
Depends how much cooling flow you can get to the air-air intercooler. If you can get good airflow, the air-air is probably better depending on ambient air temperature since you don't have issues with heat retention by the "water." With poor airflow, you get heatsoak of the IC very quickly. In the NSX, air-water is probably best unless you are going to use a vented engine cover with a scoop if you are looking at a high boost application. Low boost? air-air is probably sufficient depending on the location of the IC. Me, I was air-air and now air-water but I am high boost, low compression. Others have also had success using methanol-water injection to lower intake temperatures and this would also be another reasonable alternative.
Tim

I agree 100% here , a small air/air plus methanol injection is far more than sufficient for low to moderate boost levels, if you are going for high HP and need ultimate cooling then maybe air/liquid is better , but at higher cost/ complexity and loss of space in the car (pump , tank , lines , heat exch. etc.) and weight , not to mention it can also look goofy (IMO) , I think that most people who are not looking for high HP will find it more than sufficient to run air/air and methanol. I have made 470whp with no intercooler at all and methanol.

Guys thanks for the information. Im going to order the tuner kit, and have someone make me a water/air setup. Frank

Tell you what Frank , I will refund you on the intercooler if you buy it and find out that your IAT are too high.

How does that sound?

Brandonson, I am going with the Angus, Wil's turbo kit. It seems like a quality kit, and he dosen't mind shipping the kit unlike other kits I have inquired in. It has taken me around 2 years to finally pull the trigger to TURBO my nsx. Also, Wil has always been there to answer all my questions, even that same questions asked over and over. :biggrin: Frank

Brandonson, I am going with the Angus, Wil's turbo kit. It seems like a quality kit, and he dosen't mind shipping the kit unlike other kits I have inquired in. It has taken me around 2 years to finally pull the trigger to TURBO my nsx. Also, Wil has always been there to answer all my questions, even that same questions asked over and over. :biggrin: Frank

are you sure this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Spano
Brandonson, I am going with the Angus, Wil's turbo kit. It seems like a quality kit, and he dosen't mind shipping the kit unlike other kits I have inquired in. It has taken me around 2 years to finally pull the trigger to TURBO my nsx. Also, Wil has always been there to answer all my questions, even that same questions asked over and over. Frank

are you sure this time?

Doctai, funds will be in Wil's account when he wakes up this morning, so Im sure no turning back. Frank

I'm installing his turbo right now too. I'm gonna run air to air set up kinda like lovefab kit and water injection after 3 psi just to be safe. I'm just gonna run 7 psi for now till I do head stud and gasket

Very nice doc! sounds like a good plan.

UUUP:biggrin:. For angus turbo!
I have to said it too, Wil is a great person, he stand behind his product, always respond to questions. great communication! aaand Daamn Fast shipping.

I was a little confuse too about the intercooler set-up, but i think i will go too with angus a/a intercooler, more simple, more clean.

Frank post pics of your kit when installed and post your impressions about.

Last edited:
UUUP:biggrin:. For angus turbo!
I have to said it too, Wil is a great person, he's stand behind his product, always respond to questions. great communication! aaand Daamn Fast shipping.

I was a little confuse too about the intercooler set-up, but i think i will go with angus a/a intercooler, more simple, more clean.

Frank post pics of your kit when installed and post your impressions about.

Thanks Celso!

Drifter, Im using Jobe Setter to tune the kit, he owns a shop in Farmingdale NY. Shad from Driving Ambitions is building me a water/air aftercooler. Feel free to stop by anytime to check it out. Frank

Post some pics as it gets put together!

Love to see the results!

Drifter, Im using Jobe Setter to tune the kit, he owns a shop in Farmingdale NY. Shad from Driving Ambitions is building me a water/air aftercooler. Feel free to stop by anytime to check it out. Frank

Frank, take time to learn to tune your turbo. how much psi you runnig?

Back