Computer problem: how to find and delete hidden admin account

The 11 yr old just got a new laptop for christmas and I "pre-loaded" it with everything I might need to clean it out "just in case" she picks up a virus, etc. It is much easier doing pre-emptive work on a new one than trying to salvage the old. But I guess I am not one to talk since my 10 yr old pc just fried its second hard drive and I broke down and bought a new one last week rather than continue rebuilding the old one. I have gone through 6 laptops in the 10 yrs that I kept that PC alive but now I have a nice 27 inch LED screen on which to photoshop pics of our favorite garden gnome/leprachaun Larryb.......

So I have been taking a moment here and there out of my work day to play around with this laptop while multi-tasking on conference calls most of the afternoon.

I was able to see the users finally in safe mode (when logged in under the only listed user it would not let me see it and say I didn't have the privileges). However, in safe mode I see only my friend listed and she has Administrator privileges but yet I get denied when not in safe mode?!

I just racked the slide on my .380 sig and am ready to put this laptop out of my misery.....

Am I missing something obvious here?

Can you do administrative 'things' in safe mode? ie, can you create a new account and give it admin and see if that will work in 'regular' mode?

Perhaps the .380 is the way to go

I just created a second account user for her and gave her full admin privileges so at least I am able to run diagnostics, add/delete programs, etc. But I am back to the initial reason why I started this quest and that is the laptop sees the internet access but just refuses to connect to it. The troubleshooter justs says error occurred while troubleshooting and the wizard can't continue.

time to call morpheus

If your browser isn't working to connect to say
www.google.com
try putting in http://74.125.113.106 instead. If that works and www.google.com doesn't, it tells us you DO have internet connectivity, you just have a problem with DNS (resolving names to an IP address)

if it's a DNS issue or if Neither work, it could be something set up wrong in network settings.

go to control panel > network and sharing center > change adapter settings
you'll probably see one or two network adapters (ethernet and wireless?)
assuming youre trying to connect wirelessly, right click on the wireless adapter and select properties
then below you'll see an option for Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
double click that
you'll want to make sure that the following are selected:
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obtain DNS server address automatically

Did this used to work on their network and then stopped? I'm assuming they didn't change hardware? Sometimes I see this on an older laptop if the wireless access point requires WPA2 and the laptop card driver doesn't support it. But it would never have worked, not just stopped working without changing something.

Did you check the network settings I mentioned to make sure there wasn't a static IP address in there?

www.google.com
try putting in http://74.125.113.106 instead. If that works and www.google.com doesn't, it tells us you DO have internet connectivity, you just have a problem with DNS (resolving names to an IP address)

if it's a DNS issue or if Neither work, it could be something set up wrong in network settings.

Your url suggestion got me google when google.com didn't.

I need to head out to meet a client shortly but at least this is promising. Will continue working on it later tonight (but don't expect 3:45 am PM exchanges tonite Rob.......)

Did this used to work on their network and then stopped?

I never tried it on my office network before. But it used to work in her house on her home connection and though my aircard and stopped suddenly a little while ago for no apparent reason and with no interim changes made to anything.

go to control panel > network and sharing center > change adapter settings
you'll probably see one or two network adapters (ethernet and wireless?)
assuming youre trying to connect wirelessly, right click on the wireless adapter and select properties
then below you'll see an option for Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
double click that
you'll want to make sure that the following are selected:
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obtain DNS server address automatically

I got to "select properties" and it says I don't have sufficient privileges!? :mad: I'm in a new admin account that let me do everything else?!

I'm on all sorts of meds for pneumonia, my sleeping schedule is completely whacked from them. I'm ready for bed NOW... I think I got 3 hours sleep last night.

Anyway glad there is progress. Check the network settings I mentioned to make sure DNS is set to automatic. If it is, try the following things

edit the following file (you'll need to edit in administrative mode)
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

sometimes that file can get changed by malware. There should be a # in front of everything.

Also check internet explorer proxy settings. Dunno if you have IE7 8 or 9, but find INTERNET OPTIONS, then go to the CONNECTIONS tab.
then click the LAN SETTINGS button.
Make sure USE A PROXY SERVER is not checked.
I'd also uninstall any plugins that IE may have had installed with the exception of the usual... acrobat, flash, etc.

If NONE of this works, go back to network settings and instead of setting DNS to automatic, set it to manually enter a DNS server and put in 8.8.8.8 in the first DNS box and 8.8.4.4 in the second. That's Google's public DNS.

we're cross posting here... I'd say something is plain messed up with that windows installation. I assume MBAM found nothing? Only other thing I can suggest before shooting it is download WIndows 7 service pack 1 on another machine, put it on a USB stick and try to install it on the laptop. It will replace a gazillion system files and may fix things in the process, assuming you dont have a permissions issue. Or it may not work at all. At that point, I'd say shoot it.

mbam found nothing. Need to shut down to hit the road.

Thanks again for all your help Rob (and everyone else as well). At least I saw more progress this afternoon than I have seen in the last day and a half.

Now get some rest and leave the late hours to us vampires.......

I perform pro-bono computer fixes so much I need a few days off just to keep up with them all.
and then they are mad when I tell them since you dropped from a 3rd story window it needs a new Harddrive 60-80 bucks they complain go figure

its like if you have a Doc in the fam everyone calls you for advice on a strange bump on their ......... .

or a car mech in the fam everyone calls you for advice on that stange sound that the brake pads make when it time to replace them.

lawyer in the Family forget about it your getting daily calls.

or a Dentist in the family do you really want to see a blood gushing cavity in your mother in laws mouth. they all come to you.

Last edited:
one more thing to try to change DNS server settings

http://www.sordum.com/?p=2073

never used this, but frankly it's a bandaid. I think you will continue to have problems with this and if you can get it working with this, make sure you tell them if they have another problem (which they will) dont call you, shoot it or buy windows 7 and start over. you CAN install a windows 7 upgrade fresh BTW. You install it once to the point where it complains that it's an upgrade copy, then you reboot and install it again. The 2nd install sees the 1st install as a valid copy of windows and will successfully upgrade. Of course you're breaking the EULA, but you're an attorney, you're not afraid of those big ugly brutes in the legal dept at MSFT :).

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by robr
www.google.com

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your url suggestion got me to google when google.com didn't.

robr nailed it

you have a DNS server issue since you can load Google by requesting via it's IP address. ( http://74.125.113.106 )

[thats a good thing, the network connection works :smile: ]

If you are logged into an administrative account but cannot open properties for the network connection and get the message that says "you don't have sufficient privileges" ...that sounds like a local user policy is being applied to the computer to prevent users changing network settings.

Start - RUN - gpedit.msc - User Configuration - Administrative templates - Network - Network Connections - look for prohibited access or config settings

-
additional check for user privileges:

right click Computer - Manage - Local Users and Groups - Check user group membership - should be in Administrators group and you may want to add users to Network Config Operators for good measure

(if you make any changes, log off user and log in user to test changes)

-
It's possible that you have the browser hijack thing going on... it's a nasty little frigger and it's kinda sounding like things just changed without human intervention.... if it smells like a duck, its probably a duck

Last edited:
I give up. This toshiba is going to be scheduled for target practice.

It now does not load google. It doesn't find gpedit.msc. It says I don't have the privileges to check user groups. It says I don't have privileges to reinstall windows 7. It says I don't have privileges to install windows 7 service pack 1. And it basically prevents me from checking any of the suggested items claiming no privileges despite the account showing full admin privileges.

Thanks for all the assistance but i surrender. I may not be an IT wizard but I think I am fairly proficient at understanding thus stuff and yet I can't figure out why it says full admin and then blocks all efforts to diagnose. Very frustrating.

P.s. And the attempts to reset to factory toshiba settings all failed. I could never get the screen while holding "0" while powering up.

I realize it's not your laptop to give, but if you're seriously going to shoot it, I'd be happy to pay shipping and donate it to a local school I do volunteer IT work for. They need a laptop for a project I'm working on to stream their school board meetings on the internet.

As much as I would like to shoot it to put it out of my misery, it does function well enough for use as a backup with office software functioning and as of right now just no ability to connect to the Internet. Her kids can still get use out of it for projects and reports that don't need the net in case one of theirs crashes or malfunctions. But if that changes I will let you know.

Thanks again for trying.

RSO 34

Pro-bono

send me the laptop
I will install a brand new SSD Harddrive
add some more memory
and install Win 7 pro and office 10
and Symantec End Point Protection

for FREE and ship it back to you.

this laptop will be a freaking Nasa Shuttle fast

PM me

Last edited:
Last edited:
It is a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I don't have the windows 7 disc but I found an upgrade from vista disc so I think at some point her sister went from vista to 7 but I don't think I can boot just from the upgrade disc, can I?

I will need to wait until tomorrow night to work on it some more since it is still needed to do work (all office products still work on it - just no internet - - - it sees the network but won't connect).

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure if you are aware but you can do a clean install of Windows 7 with an upgrade disc.

Reason it's okay to do so:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/174710/microsoft_says_windows_7_install_workaround_is_legal.html

How to do so:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean...t-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Last edited:
Despite using an admin account, it is telling me that I don't have the privileges to do an install and it can't be installed in safe mode.

It is being packed for a trip down south where it may be transformed into an nsx.........:wink:

Back