Comptech the way to go?

I have a '92 and am interested in more HP for street use only. What I want to achieve is a noticeable increase in acceleration without sacrificing too much in terms of reliability and additional maintenance. A compromise, in other words.

My impression after reading numerous threads on Prime is that the CTSC is the best choice for me. Do you agree or disagree, and why?

Also, I'm looking for advice as to recommended installers and tuners(they don't have to be local). How much tuning of a CTSC installation can be done? Standard CTSC or Hi-boost? Approximate cost to buy, install and tune?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

John

I think the CTech SC is the only way to go in YOUR case. If you want monstrous hp #s I would consider Gerry Johnson's turbo. I own the CTech SC "hi boost" kit/CTech intake headers/exhaust/Walbro HP fuel pump/RC550 injectors/AEM ECU combo. Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA did a great job of tuning. It dyno'd @ 377hp at the wheels. Good luck

Jeff

Racerxjling said:
I think the CTech SC is the only way to go in YOUR case. If you want monstrous hp #s I would consider Gerry Johnson's turbo. I own the CTech SC "hi boost" kit/CTech intake headers/exhaust/Walbro HP fuel pump/RC550 injectors/AEM ECU combo. Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA did a great job of tuning. It dyno'd @ 377hp at the wheels. Good luck

Jeff

Just out of curiousty...this was on a 3.0 liter earlier NSX correct ? Thats a lot of positive displacement RWHP right there big man ! :D ...I can only imagine how that kind of responsive HP/boost feels like :eek:

Sorry bout that...yes a 92 3.0 liter 36xxx miles on the clock.

Man, the car feels insane. VERY smooth/linear power band. I also have an ACT clutch/short gears/4.55 R&P as well.

Jeff

John, I would also recommend the CTSC kit, standard low-boost version (6psi) - I don't think there's a big enough difference to go with the high-boost kit.

However, I would try and get a ride in a CTSC-equipped car as well as a low-boost turbo car; the feel is very different, and the turbo can make significantly more low-end torque, which, around town, you will notice.

If Gerry isn't nearby, then I would definitely recommend the Comptech kit.

burbel said:
If Gerry isn't nearby, then I would definitely recommend the Comptech kit.
burbel,
I've seen Gerry Johnson's turbo mentioned in some threads but there doesn't seem to be too much info on it. And pansx.com doesn't appear to be a wealth of info either, or maybe I just don't know where to look - nice pictures though. I assume Gerry's turbo would have to be installed at his shop in Modesto, CA and that any subsequent problems/followup would require a return to his shop?

You'd really have to take that up with Gerry, I haven't talked with him personally. However, from looking at auto performance as a whole, a turbo will provide more area under the curve than a supercharger; Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" book offers some good information on turbo vs. supercharger. The example car he uses for his book just happens to be an NSX. ;)

Not trying to push you one way or the other, just mentioning another option that you might want to explore, is all.

The CTSC is the best way to go IMO. Good amount of power. Fits under the cover. Reliable.

The downsides to me are the price and the lack of upgradability.

NetViper said:
The CTSC is the best way to go IMO. Good amount of power. Fits under the cover. Reliable.

The downsides to me are the price and the lack of upgradability.

I understand your comment about upgrading from reading prior posts about the CTSC, but relative to other sytems that give similar HP gains, isn't the CTSC in the same approximate price range (at least without adding cost of I/H/E mods)?

while there have been a few good deals out there for the CTSC, i think the typical price is 8k (people correct this $$ if wrong) plus install. this is the "low boost" setting, which should net you approx 70 rwhp iirc. The onlly way to enhance the output is via the AEM ems, and IHE etc... so on an otherwise stock 92 (normally about 230 rwhp) you should see about 300+ rwhp.

my setup, BBSC was 6500, plus 175 for cold air intake, plus 600 for install and tuning. I'm happy with my final result, which is 360+/- rwhp at the basic setup.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34136&highlight=bbsc+dyno

the above is the posted dyno of my basic setup vs. a "low boost" version of CTSC, both on 2000 year nsx's. so you figure for either engine, if otherwise stock, you'd lose 15 or so HP being a 1992 model.

almost everyone is happy with the CTSC; it delivers exactly what is advertised. I am happy with my setup, although tuning took longer than i wanted, a definite problem for some people who want a 100% pnp setup. But, that nonwithstanding, i've seen a few posts regarding CTSC running lean, running rich, etc...

peiserg said:
my setup, BBSC was 6500, plus 175 for cold air intake, plus 600 for install and tuning. I'm happy with my final result, which is 360+/- rwhp at the basic setup.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34136&highlight=bbsc+dyno

I notice from reading the postings in the thread above that you live in Phoenix. I live in Denver but may be moving to Phoenix. If I do, the BBSC could be a real option based on the numbers and price you cite.

Do you think the problems with the BBSC noted in some past threads are now resolved and that this is a straightforward installation now?

It's never really been about installation, it's always been tuning issues. Basch has installed well over 100 of the BBSC's, and is the #1 installer of CTSC outside of comptech itself. The install is not an issue. The issue is the tuning of either the AEM (an option for you since you are OBD-1, or the SSbox. Yeah, being local has made my tuning pretty easy. You'd probably be well served, if you use the BBSC, to allow basch to keep the car for a few days for fine tuning. If you went with AEM CTSC or BBSc, you'll need a good local tuner... either way, the tuning is what will be the problem, not the hardware.

I would definitely consider the NA mods that science of speed is offering. Most if not all japanese NSX tuners go the NA route instead of FI. When I'm ready to upgrade, it's NA power for me.

Veleno said:
I would definitely consider the NA mods that science of speed is offering. Most if not all japanese NSX tuners go the NA route instead of FI. When I'm ready to upgrade, it's NA power for me.

Yeah, that's definitely an option. But I'm waiting for them to finalize their package with dyno numbers and pricing. And I would want to hear comments from customers with the modifications. Sounds promising though.

jcjcf1 said:
Yeah, that's definitely an option. But I'm waiting for them to finalize their package with dyno numbers and pricing. And I would want to hear comments from customers with the modifications. Sounds promising though.

...Werd :rolleyes: ...I have been waiting for that over a month and a half now with no avail. I tried to confront them about this in another thread and nearly got hung by some members who swear by them....yet STILL no dyno sheet or details to back up their claims, just like I thought* :rolleyes:

...they seem to be a great company when it comes to buying "parts" but be warey of anyone trying to get into engine building as a tuner* Thats a whole other ball game. They NEED to prove themselves in that regard before anyone sensably would fork over nearly $10,000 for that job.

...you want a proven engine builder / hardcore package ? Call Factor X engineering in Vegas. Heck you could even take a cheap flight over their and drive their stroker package for yourself...and make a vacation out of it. :)

NSXTASY_MD said:
[Byou want a proven engine builder / hardcore package ? Call Factor X engineering in Vegas. Heck you could even take a cheap flight over their and drive their stroker package for yourself...and make a vacation out of it. :) [/B]

Next time I go to Las Vegas, I plan to check Factor X out. But in reviewing past threads about them, the results/expected HP numbers of their NA motor seems ill-defined, just like SOS???

I am not sure what you are refering to, however, we have recently posted dyno information online of our stage 3 program that you are refering to, with dyno runs being performed on the same Dyno Dynamics dyno for all of our recommended stages. You can keep up-to-date by viewing the vendor section on this forum.

Regards,
-- Chris

NSXTASY_MD said:
...Werd :rolleyes: ...I have been waiting for that over a month and a half now with no avail. I tried to confront them about this in another thread and nearly got hung by some members who swear by them....yet STILL no dyno sheet or details to back up their claims, just like I thought* :rolleyes:

...they seem to be a great company when it comes to buying "parts" but be warey of anyone trying to get into engine building as a tuner* Thats a whole other ball game. They NEED to prove themselves in that regard before anyone sensably would fork over nearly $10,000 for that job.

...you want a proven engine builder / hardcore package ? Call Factor X engineering in Vegas. Heck you could even take a cheap flight over their and drive their stroker package for yourself...and make a vacation out of it. :)

Chris@SoS said:
I am not sure what you are refering to, however, we have recently posted dyno information online of our stage 3 program that you are refering to, with dyno runs being performed on the same Dyno Dynamics dyno for all of our recommended stages. You can keep up-to-date by viewing the vendor section on this forum.

Regards,
-- Chris
Chris,

Not to be argumentative but your web site Stage 3 NA tune specs don't appear to include your Individual Throttle Body System (ITBS), and your FAQ on the ITBS states " The ScienceofSpeed Individual Throttle Body System is in development and will be released soon."

This does not yet appear to me to be a system ready to sell to a customer. Am I wrong?

Regards,
John

I just had the standard ctsc installed and it is well worth the money. I haven't gotten dyno'd yet but the difference in the power seems tremendous. The kit comes with everything and , according to my mechanics, is extremely well made and designed. They felt that this is about as far as one could go while staying extremely safe (before fuel management issues start coming into the picture). I also like the fact that driving in normal traffic conditions my '91 feels just as smooth and drivable as it did before.

cristo555 said:
I just had the standard ctsc installed and it is well worth the money. I haven't gotten dyno'd yet but the difference in the power seems tremendous. The kit comes with everything and , according to my mechanics, is extremely well made and designed. They felt that this is about as far as one could go while staying extremely safe (before fuel management issues start coming into the picture). I also like the fact that driving in normal traffic conditions my '91 feels just as smooth and drivable as it did before.

Was it installed locally? And what previous experience did your installers have with the kit? Did they do anything beyond basic installation? Any addn'l info appreciated.

John

pbassjo said:
jcjcf1 is the 67 a tri-power?

No, originally a 427 390hp just rebuilt as a solid lifter 425hp w/ single 4-bbl carb. A good driver, but not a show car.

My CTSC was installed locally here in Maryland at a shop called Agile Performance. It was their 1st CTSC install but since they usually do custom turbo setups I figured they would have no problem with this bolt on kit. Also, they have alot of experience with their dyno and tuning so if a problem came up they would be able to recognize it and correct it before any damage occured. The 2 guys that did my job are named Dean and Mike 410-628-9099--I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing info......but they are a real busy shop so please don't tie them up too long (don't want them ticked off at me) ;) . My advice--- get the standard CTSC-- you will love it. Good Luck , Jim

cristo555 said:
they have alot of experience with their dyno and tuning so if a problem came up they would be able to recognize it and correct it before any damage occured. they are a real busy shop so please don't tie them up too long (don't want them ticked off at me) ;) . My advice--- get the standard CTSC-- you will love it. Good Luck , Jim

I just wanted to know much experience your installers had to get some idea of how close to a plug-and-play installation to expect for an installer who might be an experienced NSX mechanic but not particularly experienced with the CTSC. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else with the CTSC care to comment about who is qualified to do the install?

Back