Comparisons of 911s to NSX? Considering buying an NSX!

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member to the site and I like to post a question to the group in general about NSX ownership. I'm thinking of buying an NSX? I'd like to know from an owner what they think of the NSX. I'm also considering the 996 TT. It seems as though the price is similar for a 2002 or 2001 TT as the NSX, which actually puzzles me a bit. I've been a Porsche enthusiast for a long time, I've had 3 911s, started with an SC, then an 87 turbo look, then a 96 993 coupe - all air cooled and I liked them all but the 87 was slow and for that matter in todays sports cars the SC would be slow too but not the 993. Actually it seems that the 993 is about as fast as the 97 model and newer ones at around 5.2, 0 to 60.

What is it about the NSX that fires you guys up. Have you had 911s before? Do you have any reference for a comparison between NSX and Porsches 911 of the modern era, where the hp is comparible. The 996 TT is obviously faster, has All wheel drive, and handles great. I've read some posts by the Top Gear bunch on TV and they weren't all that flattering about the handling characteristics of the NSX - do you have any comment that you'd like to share about general handling characteristics as in what you like about it. Would you say you need to modify the NSX to increase the handling?

Lastly do you have a feel for the cost of ownership for your NSX? How long have you guys owned yours? Did you have to replace anything - brakes, rotors, master cylinder or clutch or timing belt/water pump? Did you have any problems with a fuel pump or oxygen sensors or catalytic converters? As I was looking I noticed a guy selling one that had just replaced a fuel pump, oxy sensor and catalytic converters at around 60k miles which surprised me a bit. The one big reason for me to consider the NSX is the reliability aspect of ownership.

I'm trying to get a feel for it all but mainly what the maintenance is as in one vs the other. 911s are expensive to maintain in some instances but like so many things it "depends" on how much and how hard you drive them. Regular maintenance is not particularly more detailed but like the NSX when you gotta replace something like a clutch it isn't cheap. Are there any things to look out for in the NSX or stay away from? Are there any known flaws that cause major problems, which is exactly the reason I'm staying away from 911 C2s in the 996 models, there are rear main seal problems and intermediate shaft failures - the NSX doesn't have an intermediate shaft but are there any hidden "achilles heels" that you guys know of ?

Thanks in advance and I you guys aren't sick of questions like this from "newbies". I've always loved the looks of the NSX and the prices for them are surely staying up, I'm sure ya'll are happy about that! But to me on the buying end, a 996 TT looks pretty good financially put. For example I saw a TT on ebay with 40k miles, a 2002 model sell for just over 40k. Looking at NSXs I'm not sure where I'd be buying in a model year for that. Do you guys like the 2002 and later models best or do you prefer the older looks of the concealed headlights?

Do you guys know what an NSX-R would sell for?

Tim
Atlanta

Tim....Have you driven an NSX - I mean for a few hours in a quality example not just a 10 minute test drive? That will seal the deal one way or the other. My bet is that you will be a new NSX owner.

Good luck - the hunt is part of the fun!

Very nice post with detailed questions and good brief background on your history of ownership. Although a few of your questions can be answered through this site's FAQ, and a few threads can be pulled up from the search, I'll still acknowledge your "newbie" post - very well done.

Although, I can't contribute since I have never been in a 911 yet, many members here have owned a 911 or still do own one along side their NSX. Consider this my free bump for another member to easily see and answer some of your questions :smile:.

Good luck with the hunt.

The following is an article that I copied and saved from the NSX Prime Forum. It is signed by an individual only identified as "JK" a Clinical Psychologist from Southern California. Perhaps this individual is still an NSX owner and may be reading this. It is perhaps the most thorough analysis of an automobile acquisition that I have ever read. It is lengthy, but certainly worth reading, especially if your considering an NSX purchase.

After searching for many months, I recently acquired my first NSX. It is a 1991 model. It is Formula Red with a black interior.

The car had slightly more than 25,000 miles when I purchased it several weeks and several hundred miles ago. It is an immaculate, entirely original example complete with all tools, manuals, keys, and the factory cover and bag. The spare has never been down. It is equipped with the NSX telephone (an amusing anachronism) and fitted with Acura sheepskin seat covers. Comprehensive service records indicate the car received the timing belt/water pump service at a local Acura dealer two years/1000 miles ago. It does not fall within the "snap ring" range.

A thorough PPI revealed the need for rear tires, recharge of the A/C, and support struts for the deck lid and rear window. The car is further afflicted with the ubiquitous Bose speaker/amplifier maladies. Replacement of all hoses was recommended due to the car's age. The mechanics who inspected the car opined that it was as fine a specimen of an early NSX as one could reasonably hope to find and that it warranted the price I paid to purchase it, approximatley $7K above the KBB PP "Excellent" valuation.

The process of purchasing this car was protracted over several months. The process culminated with an intensive interview intended to assess my suitability as caretaker for the vehicle: I essentially adopted rather than purchased the car from the woman who had owned it since 1992. She reported that she bought it impulsively after seeing it displayed in the showroom of a local exotic car dealership. She stated that the salesman informed her that the original owner had traded it towards a Testarossa after several months and fewer than 1000 miles because he found it not fast enough to suit him.

The previous owner, a woman of obvious means, explained plausibly that she was selling the car because she felt it deserved a more active lifestyle than she was providing. She reported that she sold it to me for less money than she had been offered by other prospective adopters because she trusted I would provide it a good home. I intend to keep her trust.

Unlike the woman from whom I purchased the car, acquiring an NSX for me was not an impulsive act. I devoted considerable attention to the issue of what sports car I wanted to own for what will likely be a very long time. The NSX effectively replaces a 911 I owned from 1984 through 2004.

The parameters for the car I sought included reliability, durability, well-rounded performance, and cachet. I wanted a car that offered spirited performance, a rewarding driving experience, and, of necessity, the ability to comfortably tolerate the unpredictable perils of Southern California traffic. Having derived little satisfaction from the experience, I did not want another "garage queen."

Among the cars I considered was, naturally, another Porsche. Having owned Porsches for many years, however, and despite the allure of the spectacular new 997 GT3, I wanted something different.

I briefly considered another V-8 Ferrari, but my experience owning a Mondial cabriolet was so vividly unpleasant in so many ways that the consideration was short-lived. Even on those rare days the car could be made to run properly, it had little to commend it other than the sounds it made.

I imagine there are those who have successfully run Astons/Lamborghini’s/ Etc as daily drivers, but I am not confident in the ability of even a Ford- or Audi-sired exotic to cope with the grueling slog to which I would regularly subject it. I would be glad to be proved wrong, however; my son continues to lobby for a Gallardo.

While the Corvette and Viper meet the parameters I established, I am not a Corvette or Viper guy. That a friend was obliged to return his new C6 to the dealership for repair three times within the first month of ownership did little to promote my enthusiasm.

Having relished the superlative Lexus ownership experience, I contemplated an SC430 despite its bulbous appearance and relaxed demeanor. That the car is as soft to drive as its contours suggest eliminated it from consideration.

I fleetingly entertained the notion of an XK8 or XKR. As former owner of several "E" types, I harbor a sentimental fondness for the marque. I can not conjure much enthusiasm for the bland new XK, however. While dramatic depreciation renders the previous generation XK’s appealing, the cars are far smaller inside than their robust dimensions would lead one to imagine, and they are not much fun to drive. I wonder too when or even if Ford's stewardship impacted reliability...there must be a reason a three year old XK8 that cost about as much as a contemporary NSX is now worth half as much.

Like a pre-owned XK, a pre-owned Mercedes SL offered the appeal of relatively low acquisition cost. Reports from friends and colleagues who run current and previous generation SLs suggest that quality and durability are marginal, however. Also like the XKs, the cars are not especially sporting or involving.

The car that met my parameters and that I wanted to own was an NSX.

Having settled upon a manual shift NSX, the next issue I considered was which model year or series of model years to consider. With emphasis on the facts that I am explicating my priorities and biases and that I recognize that others may have different, equally valid priorities and biases, I will explain how I came to decide upon an early car.

I rejected the 2002-2005 cars because, although I liked the idea of warranty coverage, I prefer the appearance of the earlier cars. Having resolved on a 1991-2001 model, I then considered the relative merits of Berlinetta versus Targa. I decided I wanted a Berlinetta rather than a Targa because, for me, the benefits of a small open top I would rarely utilize did not offset the costs associated with the design: increased weight, reduced structural integrity, higher center of gravity, and increased likelihood of wind noise.

Having narrowed the field to an NSX Berlinetta, I chose to seek a 1991 or 1992 model because my young son would occasionally occupy the passenger seat and I did not want him seated in front of the passenger air bag fitted to 1993 and 1994 models. Having narrowed the field further, I began my search for an early NSX.

I had expected the process of locating a clean, stock, early NSX would be simple. I was wrong.

While some sellers were thoughtful enthusiasts, many were not. I encountered numerous sellers who alleged they were selling an NSX on behalf of a friend/relative/neighbor/associate/boss; I am wary of cars being sold on behalf of another because I can conceive of few legitimate circumstances that would lead an enthusiast owner of a solid, high-demand speciality car like the NSX to delegate responsibility for its sale to someone else. I encountered another group of sellers who had owned their cars for short periods of time; I am disinclined towards any used car being sold within a few months of purchase, a period of time perhaps not coincidentally just long enough to discover the full extent of a car's problems and the prudency of unloading it.

I encountered sellers who only reluctantly disclosed salvage histories, sellers who had perpetrated radical, ill-advised modifications to their cars, and sellers whose enthusiastic accounts of reckless street racing exploits clearly informed me that their cars were not likely to include the cherished example I sought. I found that sellers belonging to the irresponsible "street racer" group were also the most likely to have owned the cars for relatively short periods of time and the most likely to punctuate their conversations with gratuitous profanity. Inevitably and invariably, such owners would repeatedly assure me that their NSX was "f---ing fast, man!"

In contrast with my variable experiences interacting with NSX sellers, I have enjoyed uniformly positive experiences interacting with NSX owners. Many NSX-Primers have extended remarkable consideration to me since I began my search for my NSX.

Although I have been a member of the NSX community for only a short time, I have noted some pronounced differences between this community and the Porsche and Ferrari communities with which I am more familiar. Emphasizing again that I am sharing my opinions which I know will differ from the opinions of others, the NSX community seems to me to be comprised primarily of enthusiasts for whom a car's performance is more relevant than its heritage, pedigree, or prestige.

The Porsche community is less homogenous and consists of diverse elements. Porsche owners range from purists who know the exact number of threads on every bolt used to assemble a pre-A 356 to racers whose '69 912-based race cars outperform factory Cup cars to poseurs for whom the primary appeal of Porsche ownership is the ability to casually toss a PORSCHE keychain onto the bar of the local nightclub.

The Ferrari community, like the Porsche community, is diverse, but seems comprised of two primary elements. One element consists of enthusiasts who own and use the cars because they appreciate and enjoy them. These owners, few of whom are compelled to advertise their automotive affinities, lament the attention their cars elicit because of the restrictions such attention impose on their ability to comfortably use and enjoy them. The other element consists of persons who know little and care less about the cars. For this element, owning a Ferrari is attractive because of the statement they believe it makes to others; they would be just as happy driving a Hyundai if owning a Hyundai made the desired statement. Such owners are easily identified by the presence of Cavallino adorning every article of clothing and every piece of jewelry on their person and, if male, on the person of their current wife.

As for the driving experience...I consider it reasonable to compare my '91 NSX with my '84 Mondial and '73 911 (a car I had fitted with a '78 SC engine and '84 Carrera suspension/brakes). I consider the comparison reasonable because all three cars feature engines displacing approximately 3 liters delivering power to the rear wheels through a five speed transmission.

Prefacing my impressions of my Mondial with the statement that some of the most gratifying driving experiences I have had have been at the wheels of a 275 GTS and a 456GTA, I found the Mondial to be truckish and churlish. Disregarding the issue of its fragility, the car was not especially quick, fast, or satisfying to drive. The impressive sounds it made became tiresome and intrusive on extended drives. The gated shifter was useful only for executing the 1st to 3rd gear shifts made necessary because 2nd gear was MIA for many miles following start-up. It was an ergonomic disaster, and its HVAC was primitive and ineffective. Raising and lowering the top was an exercise in frustration, and I could never find a comfortable driving position. It was a demanding car that offered few rewards to compensate for its capricious nature.

The 911, conversely, was a very satisfying car. The 911, like every other Porsche I have owned extending to a 356C, was reliable, agile, and, for its displacement, both quick and fast. While its minor controls were arranged somewhat haphazardly, it was a comfortable, relatively spacious car that excelled as a sports car and could also serve as a touring car. Unforgiving if driven insensitively, it was immensely rewarding if driven properly. Although I believe the NSX is also up to the task, the 911 offered me the ability to cruise comfortably to track events, motor aggressively for many hours, and drive home without incident.

The NSX is easier to drive than either the Porsche or the Ferrari, but it is no less rewarding. Power delivery is linear and accompanied by a stirring, but pleasantly subdued soundtrack. Gear changes are far more precise, and clutch take-up is significantly smoother. Handling is leagues more precise than the Mondial's and more comfortably predictable than the 911's. Ergonomics and HVAC seem to have been given far more attention in the development of the NSX than either the Ferrari or the Porsche. Rather more like the 911 than the Mondial, the NSX places function over form. It is an honest car that eschews novelty for novelty's sake and complexity for complexity's sake.

The primary issue I have with my NSX is lack of headroom: even after having removed the sheepskin seat cover, my head brushes the headliner when I adjust the seat to a preferred driving position. As noted, I also need to attend to the malfunctioning Bose speakers/amplifiers.

I welcome information from those of you who have installed the Dali seat cushion or devised some other means of increasing headroom. I further seek advice on whether to repair or replace the Bose system and invite referral to a competent Bose technician and/or skilled stereo installer in Southern California.

With summer approaching and my son's burgeoning interest in cars, I anticipate we will be participating in NSX events in and around Southern California. I look forward to sharing our enthusiasm and making new friends.

JK, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist specializing in the intellectual (IQ) testing and academic assessment of children and adolescents in Southern California

Well, my search was much easier, classic style/red/camel/01' for all the updates/targa...found it on e-bay in NC.:smile:

To me the difference in looks and most importantly the driving position is vastly different.You sit on the porsche,you sit in the nsx.The dash in the porsche imho is too high.In the nsx the view of the road ahead is stunning.

Guess it still makes me feel more "hip" or whatever the word is today, than a 911, that's funny considering it's an 8 year old car.:biggrin: The 911 AWD is a fine car though.

Last edited:
To me the difference in looks and most importantly the driving position is vastly different.You sit on the porsche,you sit in the nsx.The dash in the porsche imho is too high.In the nsx the view of the road ahead is stunning.

My thoughts exactly!!!!
A totally different feel......
I love both of them as alot of you know I sold my well modified NSX and bought an '05 Carrera S cabriolet(997) which also is highly modified including a VF supercharger.
I have NEVER tracked either,strictly street cruising!

My decision to buy the Porsche went like this:

I really wanted an '05 NSX after mine was gone,however,none were available at the time here in Canada.Plus I wanted to trade another vehicle in for the tax savings which stopped me from doing the cross border thing!
I miss my NSX...absolutely....but I also love driving the Porsche.Wish I had the cash to buy/own both.
As far as maintanenece,the newer 997 is as cheap as the NSX here in Canada anyway.
I would worry about the availability of parts with NSX.I believe cranks,blocks and a few other things(if something does go wrong) are getting VERY hard to get,especially if you go for some big horsepower!

My insurance is way cheaper on the Porsche over the '92 NSX too(about $500/yr).....
The sitting position is amazing in the NSX...you really "sit IN IT" as stated above.I think that was the best thing about the car.
Both GREAT cars and for different reasons,drive both and decide.
If you never have driven the NSX,my bet is you will probably want it over the Porsche !!!
Do understand once you own a NSX you will be addicted......

Stacy

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member to the site and I like to post a question to the group in general about NSX ownership. I'm thinking of buying an NSX? I'd like to know from an owner what they think of the NSX. I'm also considering the 996 TT. It seems as though the price is similar for a 2002 or 2001 TT as the NSX, which actually puzzles me a bit. I've been a Porsche enthusiast for a long time, I've had 3 911s, started with an SC, then an 87 turbo look, then a 96 993 coupe - all air cooled and I liked them all but the 87 was slow and for that matter in todays sports cars the SC would be slow too but not the 993. Actually it seems that the 993 is about as fast as the 97 model and newer ones at around 5.2, 0 to 60.

What is it about the NSX that fires you guys up. Have you had 911s before? Do you have any reference for a comparison between NSX and Porsches 911 of the modern era, where the hp is comparible. The 996 TT is obviously faster, has All wheel drive, and handles great. I've read some posts by the Top Gear bunch on TV and they weren't all that flattering about the handling characteristics of the NSX - do you have any comment that you'd like to share about general handling characteristics as in what you like about it. Would you say you need to modify the NSX to increase the handling?

Lastly do you have a feel for the cost of ownership for your NSX? How long have you guys owned yours? Did you have to replace anything - brakes, rotors, master cylinder or clutch or timing belt/water pump? Did you have any problems with a fuel pump or oxygen sensors or catalytic converters? As I was looking I noticed a guy selling one that had just replaced a fuel pump, oxy sensor and catalytic converters at around 60k miles which surprised me a bit. The one big reason for me to consider the NSX is the reliability aspect of ownership.

I'm trying to get a feel for it all but mainly what the maintenance is as in one vs the other. 911s are expensive to maintain in some instances but like so many things it "depends" on how much and how hard you drive them. Regular maintenance is not particularly more detailed but like the NSX when you gotta replace something like a clutch it isn't cheap. Are there any things to look out for in the NSX or stay away from? Are there any known flaws that cause major problems, which is exactly the reason I'm staying away from 911 C2s in the 996 models, there are rear main seal problems and intermediate shaft failures - the NSX doesn't have an intermediate shaft but are there any hidden "achilles heels" that you guys know of ?

Thanks in advance and I you guys aren't sick of questions like this from "newbies". I've always loved the looks of the NSX and the prices for them are surely staying up, I'm sure ya'll are happy about that! But to me on the buying end, a 996 TT looks pretty good financially put. For example I saw a TT on ebay with 40k miles, a 2002 model sell for just over 40k. Looking at NSXs I'm not sure where I'd be buying in a model year for that. Do you guys like the 2002 and later models best or do you prefer the older looks of the concealed headlights?

Do you guys know what an NSX-R would sell for?

Tim
Atlanta

tim you will never "get" the NSX until you drive one. it is a driver's car. i have owned 911 porsches for 15 years. i loved the way they looked and i loved their power. i especially loved just looking at them in my garage. the NSX i love driving. it fits me perfectly like the porsches never will. some day someone will copy the ergonomics and cockpit view of the NSX, combine it with a light body and a willing engine and if it is reliable it will be enough like an NSX that i will be interested. but i bet it won't be a porsche. porsche cannot change that much, it would alienate their customer base who demand that 911 look. maybe lotus?

Last edited:
I'll also put in my $0.02 as I'm actually thinking of going to a Porsche from my 2 NSX's.

The NSX is fantastic, easy to own, easy to drive, and attracts tons of attention. The maintenance is more expensive than normal Honda's but its not a normal Honda by any means. Like Stacy said above once you own one you'll always be addicted. To date its the best car I've ever owned.

I've owned both a 91 Berlina Black and recently a 2002 Imola Orange Pearl. I'm now moving to a 97 or 98 Porsche 993 Carrera S after driving my mates for a week. I love it. Its just as good as the NSX and feels like a nice daily driver that it will end up being for me (more luggage space and ability to haul kiddies - that's where my priorities are at the moment)...BUT I will pick up another NSX once I move back to Canada and get settled...etc.

You've already owned 3 911's so get a NSX. You won't regret it! As for the 996...They have got to be the worst looking 911's made to date. I'd even take a 70's 911 design over the 996.

Get a NSX and don't look back...you can always go back to a Porsche later. This coming from a guy presently looking to get into a Porsche.:biggrin:

While I have driven both a 911 and an NSX, my comparison isn't very fair, but I will chime in anyway.

The problem is the 911 I've driven is a '02 996 GT2 with a mild chip, and my '92 NSX is what I call a "rescue car" with over 200,000 miles on it.

So, ignoring speed, and anything I could contribute to the age/lack of care by the previous owner, my thoughts are as follows.

Handling: Porsche wins...sorry (again not really an apples/apples comparison)

My NSX's steering is nearly as direct (w/o power steering) once it's 5 degrees off center, but does not feel as good with very small inputs. The Porsche reacts to very small inputs.

Obviously this porsche cornered flatter, and the ride was not that much more harsh than my NSX. I haven't ridden in an '02+ NSX or a "normal" 911 TT though, so that may be entirely different.

Driving usability. Depends on what you need

The Visibility out of the NSX puts the Porsche to shame, the NSX seats are better than the stock (non clubsport) seats in the 911 by a long shot, and the shifters are equally precise/occasionally notchy. If you know how to pack one, the NSX can carry alot of stuff, but not as much as the Porsche. an AWD TT will be easier in inclimate weather, and can seat 4 (well 2 adults and 2 small children anyway).

I looked at some used 996 C2s as a "devil's advocate" car while I was looking for an NSX, and there was not a strong enough case to talk me out of the Acura, but I was biased from the start towards the NSX.

With all of that said, drive both. Better yet, see if you can get to a track day and ride with someone (that knows what they're doing) in each on a track and see which you like better.

Wow, what great responses from all of you! Thanks so much for being patient with a "newb". I've been a member of the Rennlist forum for over 6 years and have never gotten so many informative and honest evaluations/responses to one of my questions. I've read all the posts in answer and the long one from the PHD was very informative; the ones from previous Porsche owners were great and really answered many of my concerns.

I will mention to the guy that is looking for the Porsche now to stay away from C2 or C4 996 models due to the RMS (rear main seal) and IMS (intermediate shaft bearing failure potential - catastrophic engine failure) as you never know if it will happen to you! Not good, which is the reason I'm considering the 996 TT, a totally different 'hand built" engine based on the 993. Perhaps post 2006 911s are much better as I've read. Different engine and better rms and less potential for the IMS bearing failure, still I am not positive enough to buy one. I also am restricted to late models because of my purchase price ability. This makes the NSX slightly better from an economic standpoint. The nsx surely holds it's value!!!! Actually amazingly! So there surely must be something to this.

I like the thought that I've owned 911s and now maybe it's time to search out and experience something new like the nsx. No one here is sorry they bought one, which is really a testimony in itself. I was a bit disheartened about the price of parts one mentioned, please excuse me for not remembering everyones handle. They all will eventually need parts. But the Acura dealers service manager here in Atlanta gave me a lot of positive feedback. He says the engines are "bullet proof" and that's something I enjoyed about my 3.2 911, but it was slow!

From a speed/acceleration perspective I don't believe I will be disappointed as the nsx is as fast as my old 993 and it was FAST! Way fast enough for me, afterall where can you really explore that much speed around town. I do try, late at nite, carefully, on the twisties around home in Atlanta. I've yet to track anything but would enjoy that but surely do not want to do any damage to any car I own. Autocrosses are out for me as they seem to really "dog" the car. The view out the front is something I must experience as so many of you have said the same thing - it's awesome.

I can surely appreciate the sage advice of shopping owners - not young upstarts or guys that have owned for just a short time that have apparently come across "deffered maintenance" - you gotta be careful and I surely understand that from looking at 911s constantly for over 6 years and buying two over the last 5 years. I have been very fortunate to find the "right" owner and that is very, very important and cannot be overstated. Shop owners as much as the car. Color takes a back seat to well maintained! Although, I'm not a fan of black cars; just me, no disrespect to anyone. I've looked around the site and have seen the white on white nsx and it looked great - good luck finding that needle in the haystack! I'll try though.

So let me ask you guys another question - are you satisfied with the handling of the car? What is wrong with those guys on Top Gear - has anyone seen the You Tube on the STI, EVO, NSX comparo? I know where one guy that quized the group on that was coming from, it's way less than flattering but then who tries to break the rear end out for drifting - I'll tell you it will surely not be me! I don't like the STI or the EVO, they look like little cracker box sedans with half a trash can hood scoop and rediculous tail, I can't believe anyone would buy one from a purely esthetic perspective. The NSX looks great; I've always loved the look, but I want performance and the 993 coupe I had surely had that. It will make a good comparison for me.

Like one said - DRIVE ONE! I surely would love to or if anyone is out there in Atlanta that would even just give me a ride I would appreciate that. I can tell plenty from the passenger seat and would consider it a real treat! I'll have to find someone that would let me drive one that's for sale. You don't see them around too much even in Atlanta and we have a lot of sports cars here!

One last question other than handling; how have they been on maintenance. It sounds like the biggies are the timing belt/water pump and hose thing - the dealer here says = 2100 bucks; does that sound right? The other is the clutch at 2100 about the same as I recall - again does that sound right? The dealer told me that clutches should last, driven by someone that knows how, around 100k, how does that sound to you guys - accurate?? The one guy that had one with the oxy sensor/cat converter and fuel pump replacement - at 3000 bucks, I believe was stunned and has put the car up till he can sell it. But that guy scares me and not so much him but the car. The motto for Porsche is to find one "lovingly" maintained and you'll be happy. I agree with that.

So I'm off to look now. Thanks to all of you again, your input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to many more installments from the group - hope I don't wear you guys out. LOL,

Seriously though, thanks a lot,
Tim
Atlanta, GA

S4Play on this forum had a gallardo, then a 997 GT3 and finally a NSX.

If memory served me right he told me that while the NSX was the least powerful in the bunch, it was the easiest to drive and live with.

This seems to be a general concensus from a few other owners of the NSX that have had experience with other cars.

There is a car that I used to own that I feel is a better car to drive than the NSX, which by the aforementioned comment would make it a better car than cars costing many times more than it.........

Top Gear is entertaining, but their opinions can vary. Hammond was nothing but flattering of the Type R's handling and performance, but criticized Honda for not continuing development. Clarkson enjoyed the later cars, but had some critiques of the early ones for not being "special enough" compared to his beloved F355 (at the time).

For a balanced TV viewing experience, look up some english subbed (unless you speak japanese) versions of Best Motoring from the early '00s, and look up Tiff Needel's review of the early cars back when he was still on Top Gear. Best Motoring recently did a handling comparison between a Gallardo Superleggera, a GTR, an NSX Type R, and a couple of Porsches (997 GT3 among them IIRC), that might be useful if translated (though the Type R is a bit of a different animal). Anyone who says the NSX has poor handling (even compared to EVO/STI) was either caught off-guard by a mid-engine car, or drove a car that had some problems.

You sound like a very thorough shopper, so I'm sure you will get the "right" car if you decide to get one.

Last edited:
I owned an NSX for 6 years which I modded with suspension, rims, tires, exhaust & headers. It was a simply fantastic car both on the street and track. I did spend a fair sum on maintenance as it was 10-16 year old car while I owned it, but it was all preventative, and was key for resale.

I sold my NSX initially because I wanted an 02+. I couldn't find the colour combo I wanted at a reasonalbe price so I grabbed onto an opportunity to buy a 996 GT3.

The GT3 is a weapon and not really an apples to apples comparison at all. What I can tell you that driving/owning a Porsche is completely different. It's not just sitting position, view of the road, steering feel, power, handling, rarity on the road, it's everything! Both are amazing and completely different.

Drive both. You'll probably want both, but you won't know which you want more until you drive them.

While I have driven both a 911 and an NSX, my comparison isn't very fair, but I will chime in anyway.

The problem is the 911 I've driven is a '02 996 GT2 with a mild chip, and my '92 NSX is what I call a "rescue car" with over 200,000 miles on it.

I like your choice of cars, a coincidence as to my tastes.
I am currently looking for a 996 GT2 and have a 91 NSX.
Have owned Porsches since 1980.
Porsches are great cars. Reliable, subtle yet classy, performance oriented and a great value used. The GT2 is a different animal from most Porsches. Even from those who hold them in high esteem. It is a Monster. A sleeper. NSX-R squared.

All that said there is nothing like an NSX. And I've had most. It is a car rarely appreciated for what it is/was. A Ninjato compared to broadswords.
Think 246 Dino to a 365 Daytona. One is nimble and the other is powerful .
I hope to always have an NSX. I took two years to narrow my search down as to which car offers the very most in pleasure, drivability, exclusiveness, reliability, and uniqueness. The NSX satisfies as no other.
However if you want kick in the pants power a chipped and mildly modded 996TT X-50 gives 600 reliable HP.

But if I had but one car it would be an NSX.

Last edited:
.... I'm considering the 996 TT, a totally different 'hand built" engine based on the 993.

So let me ask you guys another question - are you satisfied with the handling of the car? What is wrong with those guys on Top Gear - has anyone seen the You Tube on the STI, EVO, NSX comparo? I know where one guy that quized the group on that was coming from, it's way less than flattering but then who tries to break the rear end out for drifting - I'll tell you it will surely not be me! I don't like the STI or the EVO, they look like little cracker box sedans with half a trash can hood scoop and ridiculous tail, I can't believe anyone would buy one from a purely aesthetic perspective. The NSX looks great; I've always loved the look, but I want performance and the 993 coupe I had surely had that. It will make a good comparison for me.

996 GT2,GT3 and TT blocks are based on the Lemans winning GT1. An overboosted STOCK internals tt is good for 700 HP.

Yeah lots of year 2000+ cars may hand it to the stock NSX. They should compare the STI and Evo to a Ferrari 275 GTB. Guess who would win on the track ? Guess which one you'd sell grandma for to finance ?
I dont get wrapped up in performance numbers; If you want a race car quit fooling around and get a Formula Continental or Formula Mazda.

Last edited:
As i'm sure you know from owning a few, Porsche's have a premium for their parts and in labor charges.

Other than that, they are a blast. The 996TT is a riot, it has a good amount of power, very luxurious, and makes for a great street car. They are a blast on a track as well:
CP2_0618.jpg

NSXs definately don't have the power the 996TT has, but they can still be driven well:
DriftJimCscarcut.jpg

Personally I don't think its much of a comparison, I would go with the 996TT. If it were a 996 vs. NSX, that might be a bit different (for me personally), but the Porsche is a Porsche. Drive both and find out which one suits your needs (daily driver, weekend toy, etc...) and which one tickles your fancy more, if the NSX has always been a special car to you or if you want to remain loyal to Porsches.

Good luck in your search!

Hii guys,

Once again let me thank everyone for posting a reply to my ramblings and I have definitely gotten great input from everyone!

I really believe what I'm reading here from many is a terrific appreciation to the NSX and from Porsche owners. Stuntman surely makes a reasonable comparo in that the 996TT is not actually apples to apples. I agree with that surely. My reason for even considering a TT is that they are similarly priced to the NSX. Consider a 2002 TT with 40k miles meticulously maintained selling on ebay, and I wrote the owner, for 40k! Now that's gotta get your blood pumping and in comparison, an NSX with 40k miles model year 2002 is more expensive. That's really what surprises me - it's pure economics on that note and not so much a true comparison. I'm looking at a nice 98 nsx that the owner has over 60k miles on, has been well maintained and he's asking 42K+ for it. I know they are more rare, they have a higher KBB value for same model years as the Porsche, but it's just a little hard to pay that much or close, cause no one gets what they'd like usually, for an older car than an '02 911 TT; would you guys agree or no?

I think my mind is pretty well made up that I would like an NSX for many reasons other than whether or not it performs like a TT, cause I don't think anyone feels their NSX is a match for a 996TT. I want to drive the car daily or just about daily. I would like something different than a Porsche. Not that I don't like 911s, as one said, wish I could have both. Some of you guys here have had many NSXs and that's gotta tell you something about the cars or one wouldn't see that!!!! That's a pretty powerful testimony to me. I also believe that the NSX will be more inexpensive to own, but probably not by much. I've seen the histor on the 98 and it's had some stuff done, to injectors, oxy sensors, brakes, lots of tires as these NSXs apparently go thru them a little faster than a 911 and they go thru tires too, rears at least.

Tell me something guys if you were looking seriously at a 98 with over 50k miles on it, would you expect that the timing belt/water pump and hoses should have been replaced? The guy says he took it in last year to an independant mechanic that said "it didn't need it". One guy here told me I should look for that to be done. After all this 98 is over 10 years old - what say you guys? Also I'd really like to get a bit of concensus from ya'll as to how long in general, if driven properly, a clutch should last. That's an expensive item as is the timing belt/water pump. If I start dealing with this guy I want to be able to use these maintanence issues as "bargaining chips". Any help you guys can give would be helpful on this stuff.

Thanks again, hope to be joining you as an owner in a while. I'm still trying to sell my Honda 2007 Civic SI 4 door, which has 18k+ miles on it and has been maintained by the dealer for everything. It's in great shape.

Tim
Atlanta

Wow a 996 turbo for 40K with 40K miles, that is one heck of a deal - market price I've seen lately is about 10K over that for a similar car, but then again I'm sure the market for used turbos is tanking faster than I can keep track these days. The turbo, while more car than the NSX, is a whole different driving experience so you really can't compare the two. Either way, life is good :wink: (make sure you check out any stories on that turbo).

I'm not surprised at the price. 996 TTs were widely produced and Porsche sold tons of them. The whole P-car market has taken a bit of a beating in these economic conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if other used cars are getting hit with depreciation right now as well.

Good time to buy!

Let's put it this way...I sold my 996TT (stage2 550hp) after buying my second NSX. Nothing wrong with PCars- in fact I want to experience the GT3RS one day soon. Drive both, or own both if you can swing it!

Last edited:
One of the reasons I'm considering an NSX over any Porsche is that I'm relatively jaded about 911s. Their C2 and C4 normal 3.6 and 3.4 water cooled engines have experienced enough really bad issues from 97 when the first Boxster was built till the 996 format that I can hardly take the risk of ownership because I might just be the one that gets hit with the biggy as in catastrophic engine failure and then no support from Porsche. They've stopped supporting lay shaft failures, it's a bearing thing, I won't bore you guys with details, but when the bearing goes it backs up into the engine internals and boom - engine replacement to the tune of about 13k. Now if that's not bad enough there's the RMS issue and if your lucky it's just a seal - replace and go on about your buisness, if not because of more technical stuff due to the Dual Mass Flywheel hanging out on a carrier that tends to drop and then the crank can wallow out and then - you guessed it another engine replacement issue. Now this RMS thing is supposed to be pretty much solved in the 997 but what of the intermediate shaft bearing issue???? Well it's got one and the bearing can go bad in them and if they do - boom. I don't need a 13k wake up call - anybody here want to take that chance???? Didn't think so.

Now, most don't experience this, but it's kind of like when you played musical chairs - one guy is left out right - who's it gonna be??? Ok, enough of that but that's why the GT2 and 3s and TT are different - they're built on a different motor and still mostly hand built not by robots like the normal 997s and 996s. How bout the new one- well it doesn't have a lay shaft - imagine that - big departure from the original engine.

That's why the NSX sounds good to me. Even though it may not perform like a TT it won't cost you like one either and from all I hear on this site from all that I've read - you all enjoy a relatively bullet proof existence like all Honda owners have for a loooong time. Good news. It is rare from all that I've read from all these posters here in many different areas on the site for anyone to have had an engine blow! Now, that's what I"m talkin bout! Now you know why I'm thinking of NSXs and all you guys that have had multiple NSXs are a great testimony for the car. Not only that, the Rennlist I'm a member of is mostly all about how do I fix this, or that. What's wrong with my car it's making this sound. Anyone know why my car is burning oil, what's proper oil consumption - Porsche says 700 mile per quart is acceptable - uhmmm anyone here think that may be acceptable usage in your NSX??? Didn't think so. I've been Porsche crazy for 6 years, talk about a bug biting you, well it bites hard and deep. They are wonderful cars when they're running right - ever wonder why there are so many with so few miles on em. The more you drive em the more you gotta fix em. Well that's kind of true with all cars but in the air coolers any funny noise makes you say, Sh _ _ ! what was that. Oh, and when you're in traffic and that oil temp guage starts rising, ohhhhhh, man this traffics just gotta get moving or I'll have to pull over. I'm tired of that! I want an exotic car that doesn't make you wince everytime you hear something cause I bet you don't hear much - do you??? Bet that water temp needle stays right at one point and doesn't move - kinda like my SI, it never moves - ever! Now that's peace of mind. Just a really great car that offers lots of performance and is fun to drive, sounds great, and doesn't cost a ton to maintain and you're not worried about the dang engine blowing up for crying out loud. And then I'm sure there is the support from Honda, well, you guys really never have to test that it seems. Please let me know if there is an achilles heel to the NSX. I just don't want to be surprised.

Thanks again all you guys. Tell me if I'm on the right track here, especially you guys that have owned Porsches before.

Tim

I have driven many 911's, from '78 930 turbo to 996 turbo and NA 997. I have never owned one. I think they are all extraordinary sportscars but a tad "common". I think the NSX feels a tad bit more refined and is probably easier to drive on the track than most 911's I've sampled (ie, little or no TTO by comparison). It is also slower than most modern 911's. The NSX is definately a much rarer car and garners more attention. I would definately rec'd an NA2 car w/ 6 speed, and '02+ if you like the newer front. Most of the earlier models that have been converted to the new face seem to suffer from slightly poor panel fitment in front. It seems kinda quirky to be driving an '04 car w/ a collapsable power antenna, the NSX wasn't updated much by Honda. Not too many issues with an unmodified or minimally modified car, I'd be somewhat leary of FI cars (although many here have had very reliable SC's and turbos). Bottom line is, less performance, more exclusivity and "exotic-ness" and possibly better reliability than the 996. Good luck, a pleasant dilemma at any rate.:smile:
Oh BTW, my '92 never burned (or leaked) a drop of oil in the 6 years I owned it. My '04 w/ 101 K miles dosn't either.

Last edited:
Back