Comparing F355 w/ NSX :)

I had my friend's F355 for the day today and here are my findings

F355, most amazing sounding machine period! But for the first 30 minutes, there was this check engine light which would cut power every 10 seconds or so making it sound and probably look like i couldn't drive! Few times a slow down light, which i found to be kinda amusing, and another warning light I didn't know what it meant :)

This engine just loves to REV!!!! with the redline at 8500 rpm, i think everyone at least once in their life should drive a F355 w/ tubi shifting at 8500 RPM w/ the windows open, in a tunnel or through an underpass!!!!! I think this will be the closest sounding experience to driving a F1 car without actually having the real thing.

The shifter on the 355 actually came very natural to me, I was able to shift very quickly even from 2nd to 3rd. However, the clutch was very stiff on the 355, so much so when I returned into my NSX i almost push the clutch pedal through the floor!

The interior was nice, leather everywhere, and very spacious, but fit and finish was more like a "kit" car.... radio out of those 2 small speakers is lame, but in the F355 you only need to hear the engine and exhaust notes, funny none of the radio stations were set in this car :)

Handling, as I am driving another man's $100K car....I didn't even go anywhere near putting this car at its limits. Thou if I could, I would love to see what it can do on an autocross course.

After dropping the F355 off and getting back into my NSX, starting the engine on my nsx was a bit of disappointment... I can only imagine how quiet my nsx would have been if i had the cats still on it... The throttle reponse wasn't anywhere near the F355... Although some might like how "tight" the nsx interior fits around the driver, I kind of enjoy the wide open space the F355 offered.

But getting on the road, going through the gear at redline, and with no abnormal power cut or warning lights (my check engine light is always on) it brought a smile to my face....I may not have the sweet engine not, but damn my stereo sounds pretty damn good! And thinking damn i probably saved $40,000 by going w/ the nsx, and I don't have to spend $5000+ everything 15,000 miles or $7000+ every 30,000 miles... god only knows how much I am saving on the insurance..... but a few more minutes i start to miss that exhaust note, i start to miss that 8500 rpm redline, start to miss that rev happy engine......yes my wallet loves the nsx, but I know what my heart desires.

I must agree that Chris 355 is sweeet ..that day coming back from the palisades I couldnt get over that sound and you could hear it from ten cars back. I wonder how my car would sound with the test pipes and my tubi .

....I may not have the sweet engine not, but damn my stereo sounds pretty damn good! And thinking damn i probably saved $40,000 by going w/ the nsx, and I don't have to spend $5000+ everything 15,000 miles or $7000+ every 30,000 miles... god only knows how much I am saving on the insurance..... but a few more minutes i start to miss that exhaust note, i start to miss that 8500 rpm redline, start to miss that rev happy engine......yes my wallet loves the nsx, but I know what my heart desires.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its 4k every 30k miles and 2k every 15k miles .Your friend is shopping at the dealer or getting retailed the heck out of.

Clutch life currently on my 355 f-1 gts 1999' is at 48k and still going.Dont believe everything that you hear or read. I hear people saying 2k miles on a clutch 11,000 to fix it.......etc etc etc .

Descent article though appreciate the input.:cool:

Good article! I love the 355...my favorite F-car in the "3 series" class. Sounds beautiful too man!

I too have driven one and here were my impressions:

I don't like that tall shifter...the NSX has, in my opinion, the best shifter ever made in a 5 or 6 speed car...so small, tight and I can slam through gears in my X faster than any car I've ever driven.

I don't like the openness of the 355. In fact, I LOVE the exterior of the 355 but I hate the interior...the seats are great but the interior, despite it being all leater, just feels cheap and too open. Stereo is pretty lame but who cares?? Its a 355 man!!

The acceleration is nice and each gear seems to go on forever! That 1st to 2nd gear shift is a relief after the lame ratio on the NSX's 1st to 2nd gear shift!

All in all I'd give the 355 an 8 in my book.

I'd give the NSX a 10.

j/k I'd give the NSX an 8 as well.

Brian2by2 said:
Good article! I love the 355...my favorite F-car in the "3 series" class. Sounds beautiful too man!

I don't like that tall shifter...the NSX has, in my opinion, the best shifter ever made in a 5 or 6 speed car...so small, tight and I can slam through gears in my X faster than any car I've ever driven.

I don't like the openness of the 355. In fact, I LOVE the exterior of the 355 but I hate the interior...the seats are great but the interior, despite it being all leater, just feels cheap and too open. Stereo is pretty lame but who cares?? Its a 355 man!!

The acceleration is nice and each gear seems to go on forever! That 1st to 2nd gear shift is a relief after the lame ratio on the NSX's 1st to 2nd gear shift!

I'd give the NSX a 10.

Brian2by2 said:

the 3 series is normally a term for the beamers ,3,5 and 7 series.not to sound critical
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I agree the tall shifter is ugly and notchy---- go with the F-1 tranny!!The NSX's shifter is the most plush and close ratio which insures awesome shifts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The seats in the coupes and gts are better(they hug you) than the ones in the spiders (flat stiff boards)

Who cares about the stereo ,in comparison the NSX sounds better but still junk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd give the NSX a 10.

Hmmmm??
So if the price was the same as the NSX you'd pick the NSX over the Ferrari 355????
I'd NEVER give up my 355 GTS F-1.As a matter in fact with 85k in mods my NSX does not measure up still.
BOTH CAN BE VIEWED AT WWW.MYNSX.COM

THE NSX IS FOR SALE $44,800.00 and there is MEGA MODS!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhh I see JOKING :D

You worried me that you were exessivly drunk and driving as it was distorting your perception.:cool:
:cool: :cool:

I have often told people that I would love to have Honda be inspired to make an engine sound like the F355, and styling like the F355. To me the F355 is art in motion, and shows what exotic cars are meant to be like. Do not get me wrong, I love my NSX's, but the F355 is just on a different level to me.

But i think the F355 does look dated, like the nsx...it still looks nice but showing its age.

The 360 on the other hand, is truely art in motion! F355 look sweet 99% of the time, but just don't put it next to a 360! :)

MYNSX said:
Its 4k every 30k miles and 2k every 15k miles .Your friend is shopping at the dealer or getting retailed the heck out of.

Clutch life currently on my 355 f-1 gts 1999' is at 48k and still going.Dont believe everything that you hear or read. I hear people saying 2k miles on a clutch 11,000 to fix it.......etc etc etc .

Descent article though appreciate the input.:cool:

Yes he does perform his service at an authorized ferrari dealership.... reasoning is later on to sell the car, all the record would be stright and not done by a shop a buyer might not know of.

I am suprised your F1 clutch lasted so long, from my understanding the F1 clutch wears out faster but it is cheaper (parts & labor) to change as Ferrari took that in mind....

I agree with Bill for the services pricing. I did a lot of close research alone and with Lino (my friend that sold me my current black NSX and the very happy owner of a 1999 F355/Tubi) and most of the quote$$$ you hear are pumped.

If you drive the 355 for about 7k miles per year, you will end up with an average of about 1500 $/service per year. Not too bad in my book... ok, then add gas (50% more than on the NSX) and tires (same on a NSX if you changed wheels ;) ). Let's say about 1000$ more than the average NSX per year. Is it that scary?

I love that car. I love the NSX, but just a little less than the 355.

THonda said:
But i think the F355 does look dated, like the nsx...it still looks nice but showing its age.

The 360 on the other hand, is truely art in motion! F355 look sweet 99% of the time, but just don't put it next to a 360! :)

I have seen both in person several times and still love the F355 more. Maybe I am just into the classic artistic style of the F355. The 360 to me looks more wild, but less artistic.

Meeyatch1 said:
I have seen both in person several times and still love the F355 more. Maybe I am just into the classic artistic style of the F355. The 360 to me looks more wild, but less artistic.

Agree 100% I've been around both of them many, many, many times and have been in both of them as well.

I will always prefer the F355 to the F360 and, from what Ive seen of the spy shots, the F420 as well.

The F355 looks smaller, tighter, lighter, more symmetrical and more balanced.

The F360 somehow manages to look a lot bigger and heavier than it is (kind of like a 911 - I was very surprised at how light the basic Carrera 2 is). The F360 is still a magnificent design, but for me, its no F355.

nsxtasy said:
F360? Is that a Ford truck? Or are you talking about the 360 Modena? :p

No way I'm typing "360 Modena" everytime I talk about that thing! :D

THonda said:
Yes he does perform his service at an authorized ferrari dealership.... reasoning is later on to sell the car, all the record would be stright and not done by a shop a buyer might not know of.

I am suprised your F1 clutch lasted so long, from my understanding the F1 clutch wears out faster but it is cheaper (parts & labor) to change as Ferrari took that in mind....

My mechanic is 25 years Ferrari factory trained from Italy transplanted here in USA. Yes this is a gift to have him here in Arizona, but the dealer rapes the innocent ,it sucks what they charge "and have to" too maintain their licence.

PS... Yep I here people saying 7k on a clutch and stuff like that. I'm like WHAT THE HELL??
Not mine "Just knocked on wood" :)

MYNSX said:
:eek: So are the maintenance prices of $6K (total for the two services) every 30K miles, which are lower than most places because you happen to live near a qualified independent mechanic, supposed to make us feel that it's inexpensive? Because I find those prices still outrageous. For the NSX, it's about $1300 for both services.

No, it is more 2k at 15k miles, 4k at 30k miles, 2k at 45k miles, 4k at 60k miles, 2k at 75k miles, ...

EDIT: I re-read nsxstasy's post, yes, you understood correctely... I thought you meant it is 2k at 15k and 6k at 30k because BOTH serviices were to be done. :)

Anyway 6k every 30k miles is about 1300 $/year for most drivers at 7k miles/year. That is not that bad for driving around in a 355. :D You know, my Accord costs me one half of the NSX in services but I do not regret the NSX at all. :cool:

gheba_nsx said:
No, it is more 2k at 15k miles, 4k at 30k miles, 2k at 45k miles, 4k at 60k miles, 2k at 75k miles, ...

EDIT: I re-read nsxstasy's post, yes, you understood correctely... I thought you meant it is 2k at 15k and 6k at 30k because BOTH serviices were to be done. :)

Anyway 6k every 30k miles is about 1300 $/year for most drivers at 7k miles/year. That is not that bad for driving around in a 355. :D You know, my Accord costs me one half of the NSX in services but I do not regret the NSX at all. :cool:

From what i understand it not only goes by miles but by time also, correct? As most Ferrari owners do not put lots of miles on the car. So 1st year is the 15K service 2nd years is the 30K service. Again, I am not really sure about the correct time period, but if that's the case it would equal to about $3000 a year for service. Which still sounds pretty low to me from my I've been told by other Ferrari owners..... This of course does not include items breaking down.

When I wrote 1500$/year in services a couple days ago above in this thread I was not joking. Me and my friend did a lot of research when looking for the perfect 355 for him. We read a lot of service records from different owners and that seemed the average...

nsxtasy said:
:eek: So are the maintenance prices of $6K (total for the two services) every 30K miles, which are lower than most places because you happen to live near a qualified independent mechanic, supposed to make us feel that it's inexpensive? Because I find those prices still outrageous. For the NSX, it's about $1300 for both services.

(supposed to make us feel that it's inexpensive? Because I find those prices still outrageous)

1st .... I wasn't trying to make you feel anything.Thats in "your " control unless you'd like to give that power away?

2 nd'....outrageously priced . This would be subjective.Its a matter of perception of value.(I'd rather pay that price to drive the 355 over my NSX it's that much more exiting to me than "any" NSX)

3rd.... Is there a mouse in your pocket? Who is "US"? Why not speak in terms of you?

MYNSX said:
(supposed to make us feel that it's inexpensive? Because I find those prices still outrageous)

1st .... I wasn't trying to make you feel anything.Thats in "your " control unless you'd like to give that power away?

2 nd'....outrageously priced . This would be subjective.Its a matter of perception of value.(I'd rather pay that price to drive the 355 over my NSX it's that much more exiting to me than "any" NSX)

3rd.... Is there a mouse in your pocket? Who is "US"? Why not speak in terms of you?

you did imply that it wasn't that expensive to upkeep a F355, I think it is outrageously priced also, although it may be "worth it", it's still very expensive
compared to just about every other car. "US" as in us common people :D

friendly discussion no need to get so defensive :)

THonda said:
you did imply that it wasn't that expensive to upkeep a F355, I think it is outrageously priced also, although it may be "worth it", it's still very expensive
compared to just about every other car. "US" as in us common people :D

friendly discussion no need to get so defensive :)

Its not THAT expensive.
I'm tired of hering the attitude "I can't afford this or that"!!(Its a defeating attitude)
instead of "How can I afford this or that"(Its a positive REALISTIC attitude)

You see its all perception.

I AM a common person,theres extroudinary things I do ,EVERYONE can.
But with a defeating attitude you see only the "its too expensive, and we cant afford that" realities.

As far as behaving and getting along .
I am behaving and you haven't seen not getting along.
I just disagree and dont care if "everyone likes me or not".
I'd prefer they do like me but I've always gained more repect for myself and learned more by calling it as I see it .Screw conforming and my goal is NOT to "fit in".My goal is to get as far as I can in non-material and material ways.At least I do what I say.There are scores of people who I know promise and DONT DELIVER. :cool:

ps.... WHERE IN LONG ISLAND ARE YOU???
THATS WHERE I LIVED AND BROOKLYN, NEW YORK.

Back