clutch question

Prices per the Science of Speed website:

ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch & Flywheel $1645 or $1695 (6 puck)
ScienceofSpeed Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel $2395
1991-96 NSX factory clutch $1522
1997-2005 NSX factory clutch $2786

Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples, as in "complete" clutch kits needed for a 2002 in price order:

ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch & Flywheel $1684.50 or $1774.00 (6 puck) includes required flywheel bolts

1991-96 NSX factory clutch $1716.75 includes required bearings

ScienceofSpeed Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel $2434.50 includes required flywheel bolts

1997-2005 NSX factory clutch $2981.00 includes required bearings

Add shipping to all of the above.

Regards,
LarryB

Can someone explain why you need a new flywheel for the 97-07 factory clutch?. I have had many oem clutches replaced in other cars (including hondas) and never changed the flywheel. You can buy the factory clutch kit for around 800.00 without the flywheel. Acura of lynwood has an ebay auction for 710.00 plus shipping, everything including bearings but...no flywheel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new clutch and am very interested in the SOS Sport Clutch. What would be the advantages of the 6-puck race version over just the sport one?

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out thx guys =]

Last edited:
Can someone explain why you need a new flywheel for the 97-07 factory clutch?. I have had many oem clutches replaced in other cars (including hondas) and never changed the flywheel. You can buy the factory clutch kit for around 800.00 without the flywheel. Acura of lynwood has an ebay auction for 710.00 plus shipping, everything including bearings but...no flywheel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The flywheel for the 1997+ clutch system is a "Dual Mass" flywheel. It is a two part unit, that has a spring loaded friction surface. This design was used early on by Pprsche for the C2. There are very few machine shops that can surface this type of flywheel, and since the unit is spring loaded, you cannot easily know it's long term reliability by looking at it, or having it resurfaced.

If you do it without changing the flywheel all bets are off for long term reliability. This does make an easy choice for the ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch & Flywheel replacement unit at about half the price:).

mmm.....Did not know they still made this clutch for '07:D:D, Sorry could not resist....

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
That's pretty damn good service if you ask me Edin. Good for you - did you find that the SOS clutch was more than the OEM? I thought that the SOS was a bit cheaper?

I actually went with an RPS single disk clutch that I got for a good price. Pedal is stiffer than stock but I got used to it pretty quick.

I thought the factory clutch includes the flywheel.

You're right on the NA2 - (from Clint Howell - Acura Dealer)

RETAIL PRICE FOR CLUTCH KIT IS $3263.81 YOUR NSX PRIME PRICE IS $2506.61
CLUTCH KIT INCLUDES
FLYWHEEL, DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, RELEASE BEARING

mmm.....Did not know they still made this clutch for '07:D:D, Sorry could not resist....

oops:smile:
Wonder why acura of lynwood would sell it separatly? if the clutch kit is 710, how much is the flywheel? 1800$? to equal a 2500 dollar or so complete setup

Is the SOS sport clutch a dual mass clutch?

The dual disk clutch 1991-96 cannot be purchased without the flywheel, however regardless of how it is packaged the 1997+ clutch parts can each be purchased separately.

Flywheel list price is: $2350.28

Flywheel discount price about $1750-$1800

The SoS system is not dual mass.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
If you are not racing the car, I would seriously consider the SoS sport unit if it is compatable with the later cars --replacing the dual mass setup. Check with Chris at SoS---. If their sport unit is bolt up compatable with no known issues----doing away with the dual mass with a high quality sport unit will probably outlast YOU! I tend to like to stay close to stock whenever possible and reasonable buttttt---. If my 5 speed transmission gets kaka---I will buy a new 6 speed and my SoS clutch will work with that as well.
PS--- Stock steel fly wheels that are solid units can be resurfaced rather then replaced----that said---Fly wheels will heat up and cool down A LOT. This causes significant stress on the steel and over time you can get Hot Spots and microscopic cracks that are very hard to see. When you resurface it, you simple smooth an area for clutch disc contact. Those "HOT SPOTS" are not removed, just cut down and will re-appear. It also happens on brake discs especially on the pass side as you tend to get that side wet more often then the drivers side--as you splash through puddles etc. Both Discs and flywheels will heat up at different temperatures depending on the distance from center---THIS IS WHY IT IS RECOMMENDED TO REPLACE FLY WHEELS AND BRAKE ROTORS WHEN WORK IT DONE. Not a big deal on a 1971 Chevy pickup work truck but can be on a 7,500 rpm red line light weight NSX.
Also, replacing the clutch is an all day job that will cost you $600+ in labor---not the best time or place to try to save $$$ on using the old flywheel which will also void any warranty on the clutch. While you are there---it is a perfect time to have the axles checked out and rebuilt/resealed if there is any sign of boot leakage. :wink:

I had the SOS Sport clutch installed when I had my turbo installed and it is holding the torque 360 ft lbs with no problem and the pedal pressure is the same or better than stock on my 96. I did a short write up in the FI section.

Back