Clear'd NA2 Headlight options...what did you guys do?

Well I've told myself I'm going to leave this NSX alone but one thing that REALLY bugs me is the amber in the headlights...........

I wanted to see what NA2 owners have done to get rid of that amber piece. Is there a JDM full headlight replacement that is clear?

The bottom orange blinker I plan to just pop out replace with a clear piece but haven't found any yet - does any vendors sell this part?

But for the headlight I'm trying to avoid opening it up to remove that amber piece so suggestions please!

rick

Rick you probably should open it up or have it done if for no reason than to get rid of the bounce that if you don't have now, you will have at some point due to a manufacturing defect.

clearcorners does it. www.clearcorners.com

Rick you probably should open it up or have it done if for no reason than to get rid of the bounce that if you don't have now, you will have at some point due to a manufacturing defect.

clearcorners does it. www.clearcorners.com

Hey is there any thread discussing this "bounce"? I saw it on the clearcorner.com site but have no idea what they are talking about besides they can fix it. I'm sure I can tackle this myself....

rick

The orange plastic lens is easy to remove once the headlight is open. We have mirror plated amber bulbs that look silver when they are not illuminated for the "clear" effect. Here's a photo of our car with the orange lens removed and mirror plated bulb:

IMG_3772.jpg

The key to disassembling the lamp is to evenly heat the adhesive. I found using an oven at a low temperature makes disassembly much easier than a heat gun. Also, when the outer lens is separated, it is very important to use a razor to cut the strands of adhesive to prevent it from snapping back and marring the clear lens. Reassembly can then be done again in the oven at a low temperature to soften the adhesive.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Also Diablo 6.0 owners put their headlights in Ovens, to ease dissasembly of the lense :biggrin:

I've taken the apart the 02+ lamps to paint them for customers but have not come across the bouncing problem ... yet.

I use a short wave infra red lamp with three large cassettes to surround and heat the light evenly. Short wave infra red penetrates and heats from the inside out very evenly and quickly.

I have experimented with the melting points of the plastic using Honda lamps that have the same style of plastics in their construction.
I have found a safe, efficient temp using a infrared digital thermometer of 175 degrees f surface temp. which sounds about the same as you fellows with the ovens use.

I do not use silicone but a two part seam sealer that is the same color and has similar properties like the OEM adhesive. It softens with heat and acts just like the OEM stuff.

It would be hard for you folks to use because it uses a expensive proprietary gun to dispense and is about $35.00 per cartridge. Extra static tips are about $2.00 each.

The silicone should work fine but I wanted as exact looking OEM results as possible. That's what customers expect.

BTW, the thermometer is a great tool that I use for a/c diagnosis, spray booth settings, diagnosing brake and suspension problems too.

Comtec did a nice job.

Last edited:
Chris, do you have a pic/link to the lamp you recommend? do you sell it? Any closer pics of what it looks like with the amber lens removed? I am tired of the dealer not fixing my lamps. Even the new replacements start to bounce after a while. If any of you guys don't have the bounce... its just a matter of time.

I'm being serious here, what's an NA2 headlight? Do you mean a headlight from an '02 and up?

LOL... that's right... send him to the back of the class Ken.. he showed up without his homework again. :biggrin:

hey guys, I searched all over this site but can't find a DIY on how to remove the 2002+ bumpers.....? link please?

I'm going to smoke my turn signal lenses but also will pull might headlights apart at the same time.

thanks
rick

Greetings

You might be breaking the law by changing the lens -- these are turn signals and must be yellow/orange. I guess you could put an orange bulb into the fixture too.

Martin

Greetings

You might be breaking the law by changing the lens -- these are turn signals and must be yellow/orange. I guess you could put an orange bulb into the fixture too.

Martin

Martin, a little too late for that - few of my cars are FULLY legal! I mean how many of us run around with front plates? haha

I'm more concerned with looks than legality on this ride and I don't think most cops will care with this car. Similiar to how they look the other way for Vettes and exotics....

appreciate the tip though, and you're right btw, you do need reflectors on all sides of the car plus amber blinkers (which I'll swap for amber silvervisions)

rick

Back