Chrome not popular anymore?

my point is when you call a group of people out for not knowing anything, you need to understand why people come to the conclusion about things that they do. Anytime someone solicits a strong blanketed opinion about a group of people, you invite strong responses. It's like telling someone you hate green kangos after they walk past you with one, then wonder why they take an defensive stand. Some people on this forum have a habit in making those kinds of posts, but they also know they will get strong opinions back, instead of the "geez, dont get your panties in a wad" response like you seem to have.

That being said, you could still go out and find a chrome wheel today that is twice the weight of another wheel because it wasnt made with weight in mind. People that put chrome wheels on their cadillac dont care if they weigh 100 lbs each but people that put wheels on a car they want to show "speed" with usually do.

New chrome wheels can STILL be a lot heavier than a similarly designed wheels, it all depends on who makes it, and what their target market is to begin with. So again, my two points are (1) people associate chrome with weight for a reason, whether its an old outdated reason or not, therefore by doing so, it doesnt make them uneducated and (2) It is now more about who manufactured the wheel and what materials they use regardless if it has a chrome finish or not.

My god man why are you taking this sooo personal? I said there are people who are ignorant of the chroming process. Why is this so hard for you to understand? Chroming adds little to no weight to a wheel, any wheel. If you chrome a light wheel it's still going to be a light wheel, if you chrome a big ass 24 inch heavy wheels it's still going to be a big ass heavy wheel.

Chroming something adds a negligable amount of weight to most anything. Therefore my original post that I've had to explain to you twice now is still correct. Some people believe that Chroming a wheel adds a substantial amount of weight, that is not correct.

I'm sorry if for some reason you thought that because some people are ignorant to this fact that
I personally think that you are ignorant your gf is fat and your mom makes a nasty meatloaf. I sure you're quite intelligent your gf is thin and pretty and your moms meatloaf while somewhat dry is quite tasty.

Oh looky here it's you who said and I quote"

"If you want chrome, then get chrome. Chrome is heavy though, which is why fast cars don't have chrome wheels."

This is an incorrect statement. Chrome is not heavy! A heavy wheel that has been chromed is!!!

You need to reread my original post, again.

Last edited:
How much heavier can a chrome set of wheels be on an NSX :rolleyes:

Example..

Two set of HRE's

One set machine/polish with clear coated..

One set with chrome plated..

They both forged wheels one clear coated another chrome plated.

How much heavier will it be??? Let's be real, couple grams maybe couple ounces :rolleyes:

Exactly!!!

biscuits,
I dont really take it personal at all... although it seems like it. But your very last statement is a nice short way of the long azz way I chose to say it.

I am more defensive for everyone out there, less myself than it seems though, so im sure it came across that way. I'm a man by the people for the people (steps off podium).

That said, I 100% agree with your last statement that its not really the chrome but what the wheel is actually made out of that really matters. It just takes me 3 paragraphs of explaining R&D behind the entire thing because thats the kind of person I am. Whereas you summed it up in one brilliant sentence. Had that been your original post, our banter would have never existed. (thumbs up)

and by the way, my wife is beautiful, my girlfriend is pretty hot, and my moms meatloaf still sucks after 36 years.

If you go back and read both my long posts, I explain the same thing you explain, but I also explain the whole mislead thought process of why people associate chrome with being heavy. Because in the past, the chrome wheels appeared heavy because what they were made out of, not because chrome itself is heavy.

Historically, 99% of cars that had chrome wheels had heavy wheels, not because they were really chrome, but because those wheel manufactures used heavy materials, but them chromed them. I said that, more than once... we are bickering about basically the same thing.

and by the way, my wife is beautiful, my girlfriend is pretty hot, and my moms meatloaf still sucks after 36 years.

If you go back and read both my long posts, I explain the same thing you explain, but I also explain the whole mislead thought process of why people associate chrome with being heavy. Because in the past, the chrome wheels appeared heavy because what they were made out of, not because chrome itself is heavy.

Historically, 99% of cars that had chrome wheels had heavy wheels, not because they were really chrome, but because those wheel manufactures used heavy materials, but them chromed them. I said that, more than once... we are bickering about basically the same thing.
You need to reread my heavily edited post. But yes your initial statement needed clarification. I still love you and hoPe our relationship can strengthen because of this.

You guys are hilarious. :D

Since red is supposed to be the fastest color, maybe its negated by the fact that I have chrome wheels. :tongue:

Aww, I think TURBO2GO needs to be included since the topic of chrome seems to bring out Mr. Grouch in him. :biggrin::tongue:

grouphugg.gif

Say no to chrome :D lol. But joking aside I have to agree with Turbo and the nay sayers. Doesn't belong on a sports car... irrespective of if it's tracked or not. Consider a hyper silver or the like if you want a little more pop to the wheel.

Ugh. The "chrome is heavy" argument has been debunked to death. It's a statement made but people who are not educated to the process. The chrome process adds microns thick layers of copper, nickel then chrome, depending on the type of chrome this layer can be thinner than paint!

On average chrome adds a quarter of a pound per wheel. So for a full set of wheels on a car chrome adds 1 pound. If that worries you empty your pockets of spare change and negate the difference.

In fact the last time I researched it I found most wheels that were offered in both painted and chrome finishes where within ounces of each other weight wise.

I've had a few sets of wheels chromed over the years (yes, I have poor taste) and weighed some before and after. Not a difference in the weights in lbs. My choice of scales was a bathroom variety.

Chrome has no place on a real sports car unless it is on some switchgear. Tell me what modern exotic car or supercar comes with chrome wheels from the factory. NONE. As noted before, chrome is heavy. ....

Say no to chrome :D lol. But joking aside I have to agree with Turbo and the nay sayers. Doesn't belong on a sports car... irrespective of if it's tracked or not. Consider a hyper silver or the like if you want a little more pop to the wheel.

I have to disagree.. I mean these probably aren't chrome, but they sure have that "chrome look" :wink:

2010-12-11-Pagani-03-049DEFDEF.jpg

Pagani-Zonda_F_2005_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg

saleen-s7.jpg

adrien-brodys-corvette-for-sale-on-ebay-23861_1.jpg

ford_best_performance1.jpg

Last edited:
I said exotic supercar, you post pictures of a Rustang and a Vette? If those are supercars then my NSX is a Veyron Super Sport. Zonda is not chrome, and it isn't that close.

I'll give you the Saleen from like 6 years ago... welcome to 2006 Hapa :biggrin: They just sentenced Sadaam to hang, did you hear?

I said exotic supercar, you post pictures of a Rustang and a Vette? If those are supercars then my NSX is a Veyron Super Sport. Zonda is not chrome, and it isn't that close.

I'll give you the Saleen from like 6 years ago... welcome to 2006 Hapa :biggrin: They just sentenced Sadaam to hang, did you hear?

Did someone say Veyron??? Love that chrome like shine!! :biggrin:
BUGATTI-VEYRON-2.jpg

Bugatti-Veyron-16.4-Grand-Sport-picture.jpg

Zonda is not chrome, and it isn't that close.
:confused::smile:
Pagani-Zonda_F_2005_1024x768_wallpaper_29.jpg

pagani_zonda_wheel.jpg

485256509_326543621a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Polished and Chrome are not the same. Do I have to explain it?

Go stand in front of the mirror and look at your dome. That would be chrome.

Polished is what you started doing to your knob at about the age of 13.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
I think you're splitting hairs... they're certainly close enough. This is like arguing over fashion, there's no point. Some will like it, others will not.

I prefer polished, but only because of the maintenance factor. I think factory chromed wheels are more than acceptable.

Cheers,
Ian

This is like arguing over fashion, there's no point.

Of course there isn't. Which is why I am on the thread making jokes. Even when I sound all serious, I am going over the top serious in humor. Perhaps some don't get me.

You want the real truth? We are all egotistical creatures who look for any way to boost our egos. When you want to make a car pretty, or blingy, or racy, you do it seeking some sort of approval... even in a subtle way. If you own something and someone else says "Thats no good" or "that's ugly", we get upset because we tie our egos into stupid things like a wheel. If someone else does something to THEIR CAR, which has nothing to do with us, still the ego isn't happy because somehow; in some screwy way, it reflects badly on YOU. Why? because they own the same kind of car.

So you don't want them to chrome it, or hellaflush it, or louis Vuitton the seats. Look at arguments over anything car related and it's just one ego fighting another ego. And some egos take offense to being called an ego. No one is immune, not you, not me, not anyone. But it is all VERY SILLY. So I start to call happa88 Chrome Dome because at least it makes me laugh and hopefully him too...

If you laugh for 10 seconds it's a whole lot more important that being "right" about wheel finishes. Otherwise we can keep arguing until the end of time.

Of course there isn't. Which is why I am on the thread making jokes. Even when I sound all serious, I am going over the top serious in humor. Perhaps some don't get me.

You want the real truth? We are all egotistical creatures who look for any way to boost our egos. When you want to make a car pretty, or blingy, or racy, you do it seeking some sort of approval... even in a subtle way. If you own something and someone else says "Thats no good" or "that's ugly", we get upset because we tie our egos into stupid things like a wheel. If someone else does something to THEIR CAR, which has nothing to do with us, still the ego isn't happy because somehow; in some screwy way, it reflects badly on YOU. Why? because they own the same kind of car.

So you don't want them to chrome it, or hellaflush it, or louis Vuitton the seats. Look at arguments over anything car related and it's just one ego fighting another ego. And some egos take offense to being called an ego. No one is immune, not you, not me, not anyone. But it is all VERY SILLY. So I start to call happa88 Chrome Dome because at least it makes me laugh and hopefully him too...

If you laugh for 10 seconds it's a whole lot more important that being "right" about wheel finishes. Otherwise we can keep arguing until the end of time.

Booyaaa:thumbup: lol... Seriously though well put.

I prefer polished, but only because of the maintenance factor. I think factory chromed wheels are more than acceptable.

Cheers,
Ian

Haha, have you actually had polished wheels? I've had both, the polished ones were a PITA.. spent an hour a week with metal polish just polishing the oxidation away (and it comes right back after 2 days :rolleyes:).

Chrome just needed to be washed and dried.

Back