Car back firing after car wash or in heavy rains ???

Hi guys can someone who has experienced this please advise what is the issue .My car was running a 100% fine then after i got my car washed or after a heavy rain the car started throwing a little backfire about every 30 seconds or so & running like it was on 4 cylinders then after a while it would go away & run perfectly normal again this has happened a few times already only in wet conditions but now Im scared to wash the car in fear what ever it is thats getting wet will cause this again .Someone told me it was probably the coils getting wet if so what do I need to do to correct this?

Re: ??? Car back firing after car wash or in heavy rains ???

I initially thought the coils too. You can easily pull out a couple of the coils and see if it's wet/rusted at the base by the plug. Next time you wash the car, see if there is any water by the coil covers. However, it's hard for me to believe that the water would seep through the glass hatch. Not sure if you also have an engine cover too. It could be an oxygen sensor connection as well...maybe put some electrical tape around the oxygen sensor connectors.

Keep us posted once you find the culprit.

Jeff

Re: ??? Car back firing after car wash or in heavy rains ???

My car has the BBSC supercharger system so it makes it harder to get to them but the only place i think water is getting thru is that rear vent between the hatch & the trunk would this leak on to the coils?

a lot of water enters from the rear hatch vent and falls directly on the rear cylinder head's coil cover.... this issue costed me $3000 ir repairs back in late 2005... very low compression on the rear cylinder closer to the timming belt that turned on the 4 valves being burned after removing that cylinder head for inspection...

this rear hatch vent thing is a major flaw in the NSX design, as gallons of water fall directly on the rear bank... after that, i always cover the rear bank with a plastic for wash, and when i remove it, it's always soaking wet...

Nuno

+1 sounds like water getting through from the rear window garnish into the rear coil packs. I would pull them all out and change the plugs and let it air dry before it ruins your coil packs.

^ do that...

it doesn't matter where the coil cover has it's gasket, as i have 2 gaskets in each coil cover and water still enters to the coil area...believe me as i tested it... i manage to isolate the metal part of the coils with a kind of sticky foam that seals everything when the coils are bolted down... no water enters there now.

You can put some dielectric grease on the coil pack seals to keep the water out. After I did this I got caught in a bad downpour. Didn't have any problems.

^ that prevents water to get down on the spark hole but does not prevent water to rust the metal plate on the coilpack :wink:

I had the same problem, Ramon from Niguel Motors, listened...then looked at the back cylinder bank, saw some water spots and said instantly it's the coil packs. So, I'm waiting on my rear coil packs to be delivered. So yeah,

+1 on the vent garnish letting water in and onto the back coil packs.

^ that prevents water to get down on the spark hole but does not prevent water to rust the metal plate on the coilpack :wink:

I used the dielectric grease on the upper cover seal as well to keep the water from getting to the coils. Seems to have worked fine so far.

Hi,

I used the dielectric grease on the upper cover seal as well to keep the water from getting to the coils. Seems to have worked fine so far.

don't hope on that... the coil covers, even with 2 gaskets, let water come inside to the coils by many holes and gaps....

it's easy to test... remove the coil cover, put some dry toilet paper arround the coils... then put the cover back in it's place ... close the hatch and then let water run down the hatch vent.... then see how is the paper :wink:

and this is a little quantity of water...imagine wash after wash and rain after rain ... although rain is not bad, because due to the aerodynamic design, while the car is moving, water does not enter...

Nuno

I never let water run down the rear vents if I wash the car. That downpour I got caught out in (usually don't drive if the forecast shows rain) was the only time water may have gone down the rear vent. I was moving along at freeway speeds so that rear vent may not have gotten much water down it.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't think about the rear vent. I will look at my rear bank cover after a wash this weekend.

Jeff

I washed my car this morning and put a bath towel by the rear bank. To my surprise, it was SOAKED when I removed it. I figured it would get wet but it was SOAKED. I definitely will put the towel there at every wash. I don't usually drive the car in the rain but just in case I want to figure out a way to waterproof the coil covers. I have the aftermarket Dali polished covers. Not sure if the oem gaskets would work...maybe use silicone?

Jeff

I think someone modified the hatch vent so it would drain water away from the coil packs. I can't find the thread though...

I've gotten the same problems, but from a touchless car wash. It rotates around the car and sprays, but it also goes from front to backside as it sprays really hard. In the end my car ran like it was on 4 cylinders and found out from jon that two of the coilpacks had to be replaced.

I thought I was the only one that had this problem. This sucks since now I can't use that car wash anymore....a hose is fine...but not those touchless washes.

On the subject of coilpacks, can anyone tell me what the difference between the fronts and rears actually is (other than a F or R marked on them ;^) ???

Thanks,
Brian

Can't tell you the difference but, there definitely has to be a difference since they ask specifically which ones you are buying.

Also had mine changed out yesterday and the car runs great, always ran great but, when it would idle i could hear the misfire...all is good again.

Thanks Ramon, Niguel Motors FTW!

On the subject of coilpacks, can anyone tell me what the difference between the fronts and rears actually is (other than a F or R marked on them ;^) ???

Thanks,
Brian

the front ign coil have down connectors and is connected in the pilot direction (left), the rear ign coil have connectors upwards and is connected in another direction (right side), this it's not possible to put Fr on rear and vice versa

les bobines avant ont des connecteurs vers le bas et se connecte dans le sens du pilote (gauche), les bobines arrieres ont des connecteurs vers le haut et se connecte dans l'autre sens (droite), ce n'est pas possible de mettre avant sur arriere et vice versa

Last edited:
the front ign coil have down connectors and is connected in the pilot direction (left), the rear ign coil have connectors upwards and is connected in another direction (right side), this it's not possible to put Fr on rear and vice versa

les bobines avant ont des connecteurs vers le bas et se connecte dans le sens du pilote (gauche), les bobines arrieres ont des connecteurs vers le haut et se connecte dans l'autre sens (droite), ce n'est pas possible de mettre avant sur arriere et vice versa

So the question is, are there any internal differences ???

Brian (on Judi's computer ;^)

Last edited:
This happened to me yesterday as it sputttered after the wash, I took the packs out and I totally saw water drops on one even after driving 50miles after the car got washed. I always order the bucket wash but behold I saw my car coming out their tunnel.
Anyways I let them dry and they still suck, So I'm gona order 6 replacements Mon new seals n plugs cuz It's due. Sad that these cars aren't waterproof.

(3 of my coils, the stickers because I wanted to keep track of them :biggrin:)
IMG_3269-1.jpg

What the...? :eek:
I 've been doing a lot of research in the process of buying my nsx.
Didnt know about this "problem"...is there a solution? Does it affect only certain years?

TIA

Back