• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can't find anything bad!

Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering trading in my 1992 Twin Turbo RX7, Corolla AE86 and Merc 420SE for an NSX.

So far I can't find anything but praise for them.

I'll be looking at 120,000 mile model.

Surely I should be looking out for something to go wrong, apart from the odd trim/electrical problem?

Cheers in advance,

Steve

Mazda RX7 twin turbo
Mazda MX5 turbo on airbags
Toyota Corolla AE86
Merc 420SE

Hi Steve,

The main things to look out for are that everything operates properly (of course), that all scheduled maintenance has been performed, that (on a '91-92) the window regulators have been replaced or the fix-it thingies have been installed, and become familiar with the snap ring problem. These are all described in the FAQ, which also has a lot of other good material including a used car inspection checklist.

BTW, perfect username for a Halloween post.

Cool!

Nothing to worry about mechanically?

Remember, I own a rotary, so I don't expect my car to run reliably for more than a couple of ours :)

Steve

The primary expenses with an NSX seem to be:

1. Insurance
2. Tires (OEM last 5-8k on rear, roughly double that on the front)
3. Timing belt change every 6yr/90k mi ($2000USD approx)
4. Clutch every 40-80k miles ($2000USD approx)

Aside from that, you are essentially buying an Accord from a maintenance perspective. That being said, its SOOOO much more fun to drive
redface.gif
).

Mark

You obviously have a great list already to start with. One more thing in the A/C system incuding the Climate Control unit. These things will set you way back if you need repairs.

If you are looking at higher mileage cars make sure the C/C works and the A/C blows cold.

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by Markbert:
3. Timing belt change every 6yr/90k mi ($2000USD approx)

That's much too high. Replacing the timing belt and water pump should cost around USD1200.

Another minor thing is that the engine hatch struts and trunk lid struts need to be replaced about every 6 years, but that's minor (USD100 for each set, including labor).

Along with the other stuff mentioned, that's it. Granted, little things can go wrong here and there, especially on a car with that many miles, but these are the common items.

Check out the article here. It's a pretty good summary. There was a similar article in Car (a magazine on your side of the pond) not too long ago.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
That's much too high. Replacing the timing belt and water pump should cost around USD1200.

I had the hoses replaced at the same time, and forgot to mention it. It might not be a bad idea to do those also, but Ken is absolutely correct.

[This message has been edited by Markbert (edited 31 October 2002).]

they got it all, except for a couple of minor things like the atennae mast(no big deal and common to all cars), and ive heard one or two mention a doorhandle breaking(also not a big deal and very infrequent problem)

ive only had my 91 for a year, but can tell you based on my research and personal experience this is the most trouble free car you could buy as far as exotics go. Even routine maintenance is about as cheap as any other honda.

DO make sure the fixit thingie is installed on your windows. I DIDNT and now a 15$ fix is gonna cost me 500$. THATS a stupid oversight you dont want to make. Even so, thats still cheaper than the avg exotic costs for one year, so thats my rationalization to feel ok about a really dumb mistake on my part.

What specifically are the fix it thingies? I am purchasing a vehicle with the passenger window starting to slow which is a sign of failure. I have heard that before it fails completely, you can have a cheap fix done and it might work just fine. I am assuming that is the window thingie fix. Please explain.

Back