Can paintless dent repair fix this?

I've read through previous threads about paintless dent repair and it seems many people are very happy with the results. I'm thinking very seriously I've buying a red '91 and it unfortunately has a dent in the driver's side door about the size of a baseball.

I've seen other cars where you can see that there has been something done to the door... just a point where light reflects differently, even though you can't feel it or see it when looking dead-on to it.. .only down the side of the car can it be seen. I'm just wondering if those of you who know paintless dent repair could provide your impressions if something like this is fixable to the point it is perfect, rather than to where you can still see something was there?

Thanks all.

Pics attached. Sorry for the large size.

image002.jpg

image008.jpg

image023.jpg

This could possibly be repaired by a dent removal service. The trouble may be getting access to the dent from the inside. A friend of mine had a dent on his door but further forward. There was no access to it so he had to cut a square opening through two layers of aluminum to leave access for the the dent removal guy. Was able to get the dent out. Hopefully there is access to the dent from where it is on your door.

Paintless dent repair can fix it no problem but keep in mind it will never be "perfect." I'd say it can be at least 95% restored compare to original. You won't notice it even if you look down the side.

I think the fellow with the NSX Prime handle of "anytime" is a PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) expert. Ask him.

Thanks for the comments... if I can't see anything when I look straight down the side, that's close enough to perfect for me. I looked at one car on the weekend on which the side looked smooth and even at first glance, except that when you looked at it straight down the side of the car, the reflection in the paint sharply shifted at one point and made it obvious something was wrong.

I take it this is not exactly uncommon. I do remember seeing ANYTIME's posts on similar topics when I did a search, if I remember right he owns a PDR business. So yeah, if anyone would know for sure, it would be him.

Thanks

I agree that PDR can remove that dent. However, make sure that you get an expert. Not all PDR guys can do the same work. Find someone with experience in aluminum. I've seen it done well enough that nothing can be seen from the outside.

CokerRat said:
Thanks for the comments... if I can't see anything when I look straight down the side, that's close enough to perfect for me. I looked at one car on the weekend on which the side looked smooth and even at first glance, except that when you looked at it straight down the side of the car, the reflection in the paint sharply shifted at one point and made it obvious something was wrong.

I take it this is not exactly uncommon. I do remember seeing ANYTIME's posts on similar topics when I did a search, if I remember right he owns a PDR business. So yeah, if anyone would know for sure, it would be him.

Thanks

Coker,
I'll give you some tips on what to look for since I'm so far away from you. What you need to look for in your search for a PDR tech is experience, experience, experience(did I say experience?). Dealerships typically won't give up who they are using and the best place to start is your phone book under Dent as the first part of the name. Even big dent removal companies have newbies, so ask a ton of questions, because the end result varies from person to person. Remember, dents don't just pop out and if you chose the wrong person, you may end up with a pizza looking area that might send you straight to the body shop(Believe me, I see this all the time). You'll want to ask how long the tech has been doing this and if he/they can offer a 100% guarantee. You'll want to hear stuff like this; Sure, I'll be able to fix that dent and you won't be able to see it, ever. I work on customers cars, just like they were my own. Absolutely, no problem in fixing that dent, no worries. If you hear excuses from the begining like this; Yeah, I can make that look much better or most people won't see it. Then I suggest you run away, very fast. Accept nothing but perfection! Just look hard enough and you'll find it.
Take care,
John

PS, Looking at the pic, the dent should be no problem to fix. Coming to California soon?

ANYTIME, thanks a lot for your advice. I am very glad to hear your opinion that it should be doable. I'll definitely get somebody who's got lots of experience and has done a decent amount of work on aluminum bodies before (not that many out there, is there). I'm flying out to Toronto next week and will drive the car back to Cowtown (~2000 mile road trip!). Getting that dent out is a top priority. Unfortunately, no plans to go to California in the near future (hmmm...though I sure could use a vacation heh). If only I lived closer, I'd make the trip. Thks again.

p.s. all the dent guys say that they have lots of experience. Try to take it to your local Acura Dealership and have them do it when they have their other cars done. You might pay a little more, but that way you know you will have an experienced guy working on your car.

ck said:
p.s. all the dent guys say that they have lots of experience. Try to take it to your local Acura Dealership and have them do it when they have their other cars done. You might pay a little more, but that way you know you will have an experienced guy working on your car.

Depending on the day, dealers may have different people working on their cars. Dealerships go thru lots of managers and the vendors usually come and go with them. Don't be fooled into thinking that dealers have a special hook up with great dent repair guys. Some do, some don't. If you worked in the business, you would know what you are talking about(you don't). Take my advice and search out someone yourself to fix your dent. I may be flaming you, but I am at dealers every day and know what happens behind the scenes. I lost an account at one dealership because a guy came in and started charging 35 bucks per car no matter how manys dents the car had. I bet he did great work(Hope this wasn't the day you decided to bring in your NSX). After paying just taxes, I would have been making 20 dollars a car. How hard are you going to work for those peanuts? Oh, by the way the experience I have is lots too... 8 years and 20,000 cars. All the dent guys say they have lots of experience :rolleyes:

ANYTIME said:
Depending on the day, dealers may have different people working on their cars. Dealerships go thru lots of managers and the vendors usually come and go with them. Don't be fooled into thinking that dealers have a special hook up with great dent repair guys. Some do, some don't. If you worked in the business, you would know what you are talking about(you don't). Take my advice and search out someone yourself to fix your dent. I may be flaming you, but I am at dealers every day and know what happens behind the scenes. I lost an account at one dealership because a guy came in and started charging 35 bucks per car no matter how manys dents the car had. I bet he did great work(Hope this wasn't the day you decided to bring in your NSX). After paying just taxes, I would have been making 20 dollars a car. How hard are you going to work for those peanuts? Oh, by the way the experience I have is lots too... 8 years and 20,000 cars. All the dent guys say they have lots of experience :rolleyes:

Hey, I wasn't flaming you or saying that you don't have the experience. How do you propose that he finds a good dent guy himself? I'm just saying that he'd probably have better odds interviewing the dealerships guy's then calling random numbers out of the phone book. Also, for your information, I am in the business and know exactly what I am talking about. I'm sure dealerships change around guys, but they won't last at a dealership unless their work is good. I didn't say that going to a dearship is a no fail idea. Just a suggestion on where he could start.

ANYTIME said:
8 years and 20,000 cars. All the dent guys say they have lots of experience

Wow do the math that's really impressive. Eight years and 20, 000 cars. That's a rough average of 2,500 cars a year and with 52 work weeks that's a rough average of 48 cars a week!
Something like 10 a day. At $ 75.00 per car that's knocking down some big change. Congratulations, hard work pays.

Back