Bullet Proof?

I have owned corvettes and cadilalcs all my life...now I want to come out of the darkness and into the light...are NSX's bullet proof vehicles when it comes to parts? Friends that own Hondas say that they rarely have problems with their vehicles - unlike my corvettes that went through calipers and water pumps like they were candy...I just do not want a sports car that breaks down and always has some stupid problem that constatnly arises. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks...

and Merry Christmas

I would not use the word bullet proof but like any honda if you do all the basic maintanace at the right intervals and treat your car right it takes care of you. The nsx is a bit more costly to maintain thou because of the parts cost but I would definlty say its the cheapest exotic to own.

The NSX has proven to be as reliable as any other Honda over the last 15 years. The parts can be a bit more expensive than other Hondas and the service intervals and costs can be a little more frequent but overall, it's still a Honda.

The NSX is very appreciated as an exotic you can just get in and drive every day without fear of being stranded or some weird noise appearing. It starts when it's supposed to, you can push the motor to 8,000 RPM as much as you want and you can track it as much as you like. Some NSXs are approaching 300K miles without a engine rebuild...many are over 200K.

After 13 years my ABS accumulator needed replacement and after 15 years my starter died. I lost a climate control console light last year. Oh, and I needed a new O2 sensor when I upgraded my headers. Other than the expected door handle and window regulator problems (which were remedied in 1993+ NSXs and can be retrofitted when they break) those are literally the only issues I have ever had with the car over it's 15 year lifespan. I bought the car in 2003 and knew the previous owner never had any issues, ever.

I will vouch the NSX as being in the "bulletproof" category as long as you don't consistantly beat on it and maintain it right. Redlining the car is fine as long as it is done "sparingly" if there is such a thing. :smile:

There are reputable places to buy cheaper OEM NSX parts. Delray Acura, for example, always gave me the lowest price possible. Just google them and you'll find their online store. Oh, and the brake pads are the same ones used on the Integra Type-R. That will save you a bundle right there. Many of the parts are marked up simply because they are for the NSX, regardless of how technologically advanced they may be. As far as reliability goes, mine was excellent. I think the guys here have said it pretty well. You do the regular maintenance, you should have no problems. I'm now on my 8th Honda/Acura and none have had problems (218k, 148k, 126k, 161k, 17k, 60k, 30k, 115k was the approximate mileage on these vehicles). That's a pretty d@mn good track record.

Joe

Back