BMW 335i

a known fact that cars with factory turbo's are ALWAYS easier to mod for power then n/a's. it's a common sense answer i gave, and one any enthusiast would agree with. now i'm only talking about power- nothing else. i know the m3 will be better as far as suspension/styling/and other factors go. there are 335's already that are making over 400whp from under $2500 in mods- and they just got started. the turbo's haven't even been upgraded yet. as far as price/performance goes- bmw has made a grave choice turbo'ng the the 335 and not the m3. i think it'll rip into their m3 sales big time. and an m3 that is redlining that high n/a will not be turbo friendly.

We didn't say anything about EASY:wink: you said "more potential". A larger engine will almost always have more potential. Also If they can get 500whp out of an S2000 engine turbo'd I'm sure they can get way more than that out of the new M3. Modding a new 335 to me isn't cost effective if you lose your warranty in the process and something goes wrong that isn't mod related and your warranty is gone. BMW is really bad about that not wanting to cover stuff:frown:

We didn't say anything about EASY:wink: you said "more potential". A larger engine will almost always have more potential. Also If they can get 500whp out of an S2000 engine turbo'd I'm sure they can get way more than that out of the new M3. Modding a new 335 to me isn't cost effective if you lose your warranty in the process and something goes wrong that isn't mod related and your warranty is gone. BMW is really bad about that not wanting to cover stuff:frown:

i'd imagine the 335's engine will be lower compression and the block and internals will be able to hold much more power then that of the new m3. however- i have no idea what the new m3's engine will have or be made of. the s2000 turbo'd was very problem prone- i had a turbo'd s2k myself. and modding the m3 will make you lose your warranty as well. bmw is HORRIBLE about warranties- correct there. i know from personal experience. i do NOT like the idea of internal turbo's on the 335i, but then again i didn't spend millions researching it either.

I've driven it. The power pumps out like a firehose. It's like the B5 (2000-2002) Audi S4, but much improved. While it's fast, it doesn't feel like it handles as well as the old 330is or even 325is.
Bottom line- Drop and tighten the suspension, chip and exhaust it, and you have yerself one helluva car. I did hear that BMW had some early problems with the turbos. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not. The model S4 that I had was notorious for blowing it's turbos.

The 335 I drove was the SMG. I hated it. It just doesn't work with the car. 6-speed for me, please!:smile:

:confused: There isn't an SMG trans. for the 335i, maybe you drove the Auto with the optional paddle shifters behind the steering wheel? I don't even think the new M3 will have SMG, at least not for the first 7 or 8 months.

:confused: There isn't an SMG trans. for the 335i, maybe you drove the Auto with the optional paddle shifters behind the steering wheel? I don't even think the new M3 will have SMG, at least not for the first 7 or 8 months.

That's correct, there's no SMG for the 335i and the E92 M3 will not be available with SMG, there will be an auto version with double clutch gear later, but no SMG.

You guys got me all twiterpated about this car I am going to go test drive one tonight and if its true I am getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd imagine the 335's engine will be lower compression and the block and internals will be able to hold much more power then that of the new m3. however- i have no idea what the new m3's engine will have or be made of. the s2000 turbo'd was very problem prone- i had a turbo'd s2k myself. and modding the m3 will make you lose your warranty as well. bmw is HORRIBLE about warranties- correct there. i know from personal experience. i do NOT like the idea of internal turbo's on the 335i, but then again i didn't spend millions researching it either.

How'd you like the turbo'd S2K? No argument there as modding any BMW will void the warranty. I've read were some guys almost lost their warranty for wheels..LOL

Yes. You are correct. I was mistaken.

Well I drove one today and the jury is in. I am getting one, the dammed thing is a freeking freight train on rails. The power is more than I had ever thought. This is one crazy little car and BMW rocks for the first 4 years or 50K miles before the warrantee is up :eek: This car is so stealth but really feels as fast as the NSX. Go test drive one it is a hoot......Steve

the turbo'd s2k was great- in the end i sold it because the car just wasn't big enough for me. i have wide shoulders and had to constantly shift my body to fit in there correctly. i also didn't like the fact that at every streetlight someone was revving at me. the fuel mileage on that car was also horrible. i had a turbo'd rsx-s before that and still maintained about 28mpg, on the s2k before the turbo i would love it to get 22mpg. after the turbo- maybe about 14 mpg (but i know that was due to a lead foot). i also blame the lack of torque down low for the gas mileage. you had to rev it to get anywhere- and i had just sold my z06 for that s2k so took a lot of time to get used to.

wamique

69965107.jpg

51050223.jpg

43764791.jpg

Nice combo! Any pics together?

hehe no..but u can see my m3 there in the background and i didn't own those three cars at the same time ever. the rsx was sold and the z06 was purchased then the z06 was sold and the s2k purchased and now the s2k sold and the c32 purchased. the only constant has been the e36 m3 in the background there which is now for sale as well. man did i take this thread out of subject. my apologies.

I ran a 335i in my current state NSX (E, I, 200 lbs lightened) and pulled 3 cars up to about 110mph. I was actually surprised because it was the sedan model and I thought it was a 330. The sedans and coupe weigh within 100lbs of each other so there is no performance difference. I want to run one with my IS350, should be a very close race.

I read in Autoweek the Active Autowerks ECU upgrade cannot be detected by BMW dealers. :wink:

Ive read numerous stories of people in NSX's smoking these things and I gotta think, someone is either lying or the BMW drivers werent pushing it. Maybe NSX's with I/E/H might throw down, but I think these things are wicked fast. 0-60 times in the mid to high 4's:eek:

The 335i maybe a fast capable car but it has to have one of the ugliest interiors in BMW's history ... all new 3 series do in my opinion. :frown:

I test drove the Lexus IS350 today and just sat in the BMW coupe. The Lexus's interior was far nicer to be in ... the 335 looked cheap by comparison although it was $5000 more. I respect BMWs, had one years ago but don't want to own a current 3 series. Now the M6!!!:tongue:

come on jason,

don't say stuff like that.
making a comment is one thing, but talking shit? thats just as bad as guys with extensive e-knowledge and 0 hands on experience.
give me a little more credit than that.
i've been reading up on the k-series motors when their first debut.
even race car engineering talks only good about the k-series
brian doesnt feed me anything.
my point was to show facts.

the nsx motor is 80's technology and dont mean to get you all butt hurt.
20some years is a lot for technology advancement.
if you want to see how much technology is advancing at an exponential rate, think about cell phones and computers. it wasnt too long ago that you were talking to a brick and typing on a 166mhz pc.
the i in i-vtec stand for intelligence, and thats what the out with the old vtec motors lacks

what's really gunna tick you off is that the guys that do the k20 swaps and push out some really big numbers are just regular guys. breaking the bank isnt required.

i can give you another example. do you know about porsche vario cams?
its the same concept. its the same way how they get maximum tuning from the similar sized nsx motors in a flat-6 that pumps out ~100hp over the c30/c32
11151-2007-Porsche-GT3-Dyno.jpg

Last edited:
Erick,

Finally found the links.

They are good motors. 1st 3 of your examples are full race cars with unlimited budget. I could not open the link for the graph for the 4th example.

350rwhp/220rwtq for in NA form is decent. Spectacular for that little motor in NA form. That # is Mickey Mouse for amount of money it took to obtain that power. There are car come right out of box in NA form with more power than that.

My guess is that Brian must have been feeding you junk. I wouldn't listen to him if I were you. Typical Honda boy, wishful thinking, once they experience power like a man. That is the day they grow up.

proj_beta_engine_lrg.jpg

edited...because i can't read.

Last edited:
It is ok, totally understandable.

If we were talking about K-series with FI. There would not have been an discussion. They make big powers with FI.

I take the Mickey Mouse comment back. I understand and acknowledge it is someone's hard work and those race cars are nothing short of amazing.

i only wish the nsx's were making big power w/fi, reliably. i have my heart set on one and will buy one. but it will never be as easy as getting 350whp w/my rsx-s after just slapping a turbo kit on it w/cams and hg and tuning it.

Enough of the non-335 talk... back on topic.

BMW just announced the 135 is coming to the USA. Same engine but 300-500 lbs less weight than the 335.

Back