BMW 335i

Anyone raced one? my friend just got one and that car hauls ass from a stop to 120mph i only had him by 3 cars or so. i have a stock 99 NSX 6 speed. anyone know the specs?

Anyone raced one? my friend just got one and that car hauls ass from a stop to 120mph i only had him by 3 cars or so. i have a stock 99 NSX 6 speed. anyone know the specs?

It is a 3.0L twin-turbo straight 6, has 300 HP @ 5800 and 300 lb/ft tq. @ 1400 which stays pretty flat, and has a redline of 7000 rpm. All that to propel the car which weighs in at a bit under 3600lbs.

I've heard they give the E46 M3 a run for their money as well.

With simple mods that car will eat even an NA2 NSX in the straight line. Not sure about it's handling but it's decent car. FWIW, I've seen many E46 M3's trading their cars for one.

Ravi

i heard of a 335 turbo with 4 fat dudes beat a HP Turbo'd NSX.
at 100mph+ it kept pulling on the turbo'd nsx and destroyed it too.

new engine technology just like the honda K-series really kicks ass.
chains and sprockets. no more stupid timing belts
twincam heads the size of single cams plus way way better airflow.

street modified honda K-series are putting 350whp while breathing on its own.

this is one sample.
IPS-K10-devtest.gif

another example - Jeremy Lookofsky -9.33 at 145.33 MPH
http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody2000-FR.html

and another
http://www.skunk2.com/Project Cars/project_beta.php

and another
http://www.k-series.com/article_details.php?article_id=15

and here's a k24 powered street civic EK making Vance power!
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27251&highlight=dyno+graph

Last edited:
i heard of a 335 turbo with 4 fat dudes beat a HP Turbo'd NSX.
at 100mph+ it kept pulling on the turbo'd nsx and destroyed it too.

new engine technology just like the honda K-series really kicks ass.
chains and sprockets. no more stupid timing belts
twincam heads the size of single cams plus way way better airflow.

street modified honda K-series are putting 350whp while breathing on its own.

LOL dude good one! thats hilarious. Okay my turn. I heard two fat dudes in a supercharged civic beat a Z06 from a roll:biggrin:

I heard two fat dudes in a supercharged civic beat a Z06 from a roll:biggrin:

I could have sworn it was an integra with nitrous, with 2 fat people in the front and a small dude in the back, that beat a GT3 from 140 - 180 :biggrin:. Some one needs to check their sources :wink:.

no way, with 414-420hp V8 revving to 8250rpm, I would still prefer the NA setup, NA FTW!

The 3 series has always been an excellent sports sedan and while I haven't driven a 335i, the 330i with sport suspension was a great, all around sports sedan if you like the look.

I would be worried about a twin turbo motor from BMW once the car is under warranty and have read at least two magazine reports (one in Europe and one here in the US) where the 335is that were being track tested all over-heated and had to be removed from the track. I doubt that would happen in driving on the public roads but it seems like a miss from the "ultimate driving machine" to me.

I've driven it. The power pumps out like a firehose. It's like the B5 (2000-2002) Audi S4, but much improved. While it's fast, it doesn't feel like it handles as well as the old 330is or even 325is.
Bottom line- Drop and tighten the suspension, chip and exhaust it, and you have yerself one helluva car. I did hear that BMW had some early problems with the turbos. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not. The model S4 that I had was notorious for blowing it's turbos.

The 335 I drove was the SMG. I hated it. It just doesn't work with the car. 6-speed for me, please!:smile:

no way, with 414-420hp V8 revving to 8250rpm, I would still prefer the NA setup, NA FTW!

Yes way! Intake, exhaust, downpipe and chip (boost controller) those cars are putting down more than 400whp.

Incredible platform. I've always thought BMW's were a little overpriced for their specs, but the 335 is quite an attractive option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one thing the 335's lack is a proper LSD? With all that power, especially when tuned and fixed up, could that be a problem and may be one thing that would hinder it compared to an M3? Or perhaps BMW left it out cause if they had it, there truly would be no more need for the M3...

One of my buddies just got one and I can't wait to see how it drives in person...

Too bad the car doesn't have a dipstick. The only way to check oil is to go thru the i-drive menu. Only than will it tell you if your low or good. It does not tell you how much oil you left or how much you need.

BMW is trying to get rid of the DIY'ers and is forcing people to pay 200-250 dollars to add oil. The procedure is suppose to be, they pour the old oil, and measure. Than they would add more oil and pure the old oil back in @ $95 per hour.

Its all a big scheme to promote their free maintainance program, and when warrantee runs out, your basically screwed.

My sources is from what I read on the supraforums :biggrin:, but that person seems very knowledgeable.

Too bad the car doesn't have a dipstick. The only way to check oil is to go thru the i-drive menu. Only than will it tell you if your low or good. It does not tell you how much oil you left or how much you need.

BMW is trying to get rid of the DIY'ers and is forcing people to pay 200-250 dollars to add oil. The procedure is suppose to be, they pour the old oil, and measure. Than they would add more oil and pure the old oil back in @ $95 per hour.

Its all a big scheme to promote their free maintainance program, and when warrantee runs out, your basically screwed.

My sources is from what I read on the supraforums :biggrin:, but that person seems very knowledgeable.

Remember that new BMWs come with 4 years 50K miles of "FREE" maintenance so no need to do anything yourself. And if you are crazy enough to buy one of these used after four years of abuse, then I agree that maintenance will be out of the ball park. Otherwise it seems like a heck of a car for the money....Steve

Hmmmm 4 years huh? Not so bad, but I definitly would not want to buy one. Lease yes, but to buy? HEEEELLLLL NOOO.

I'm with you:biggrin:

Besides you have to "mod" an 335i to get all the power everyone is talking about. You then void the warranty and you better have deep pockets when or if there's a problem. BMW doesn't cover sh*t if you mess with their cars. Modding and EVO or Sti probably has some expensive parts if you blow them ,but not BMW expensive:eek:

Manufacturers aren't allowed to ignore a warranty unless they can prove that the mod lead to the failure. They'd be reaching to try to deny an engine failure for exhaust modifications, for example.

Higher boost, a couple of incidences of bouncing off the redline? That'll get them to deny it pretty easy. They have sensors all over the place and can tap into it and make a case to deny you that 10-20K engine..

Higher boost, a couple of incidences of bouncing off the redline? That'll get them to deny it pretty easy. They have sensors all over the place and can tap into it and make a case to deny you that 10-20K engine..

Heck the E46 M3 has a computer that could tell BMW if it was redlined during the breakin period. There have been several people who lost warranty issues because of bouncing on the rev limiter with under 500 miles on the car...

Heck the E46 M3 has a computer that could tell BMW if it was redlined during the breakin period. There have been several people who lost warranty issues because of bouncing on the rev limiter with under 500 miles on the car...

Thanks I was going to say this. I even got into it with some idiot on E46fanatics about this because he said you can just take your aftermarket ecu off and BMW will never know it was there. Yeah right:rolleyes:

Apparently with BMW if you want to keep your factory warranty and mod the car you have to buy the Dinan stuff which is way expensive! So at least that's an option , but Vishnu is currently the company with all the 335i mods.

Just came home after taking european delivery of a 335i, car should be in the states in another week or two. The 335 is a beast! Quick, quiet and smoooth!
It is not a match for the sharper handling of the NSX, but not bad. I have grown used to the non boosted direct feel of the NSX. I put alot of miles on the 335 thru the alps and the car is very composedand balanced. Upon returning to Munich we were never below 100-120 until I got schooled by an
R8 that I tagged onto. When we hit 150 the wife said " ok, thats enough":(
The R8 checked out and was gone! Morale? There is always something faster/newer/better/shinier/whatever. The NSX is a spectacular car and I will enjoy it for a long time. The 335 is a great car as well but will be replaced when the next new thing comes out.

if the new m3 isn't turbo'd the 335i will have more potential.

That makes no sense???? If you have to mod the 335 to get to the new M3 stock level then no matter what the M3 will always be ahead once you start modding the M3. The new M3 isn't even out yet and we don't how mod friendly that will be. It could be turbo friendly and already be at a higher power level starting point.

a known fact that cars with factory turbo's are ALWAYS easier to mod for power then n/a's. it's a common sense answer i gave, and one any enthusiast would agree with. now i'm only talking about power- nothing else. i know the m3 will be better as far as suspension/styling/and other factors go. there are 335's already that are making over 400whp from under $2500 in mods- and they just got started. the turbo's haven't even been upgraded yet. as far as price/performance goes- bmw has made a grave choice turbo'ng the the 335 and not the m3. i think it'll rip into their m3 sales big time. and an m3 that is redlining that high n/a will not be turbo friendly.

Back