best choice for another track car?

Ill have to give another vote the Evo 8 or 9.

Best bang for the buck.

-MSR

I don't know, I think the V8 Miata is a great value for a part-time track car that you can daily drive. It's basically a modern-day Shelby Cobra with the handling dynamics of the Miata. All for about $10,000 and it will eat Evo 8's and 9's for lunch on the track. ;) If you put another $10,000 into the engine (Ford 347 crate engine) and suspension, you will have an Enzo-killing supercar.

Of course, even after driving my dad's car and wrapping my face around the headrest a la Jeremy Clarkson, I still prefer my NSX. :)

Man, the V8 (302, IIRC) miata I drove was a nose heavy porker that couldn't get out of it's own way. I think Flying Miata has addressed the issue but that first impression did not have a favorable result.

Great idea, though. Wish the miata exterior was as dynamic as a Cobra.

Interesting. That's strange, since the cast iron 4-banger is only about 100 lbs less than the 302. Total weight gain for the swap is about 200 lbs, 30% of which is in the rear end (Ford rear end). However, if you do not upgrade the stock suspension, the car will plow like a mule. My dad went with the Tokico suspension upgrade from Flying Miata. ;) Car turns like a go cart. I think it is a great trackable car for the OP.

Man, the V8 (302, IIRC) miata I drove was a nose heavy porker that couldn't get out of it's own way. I think Flying Miata has addressed the issue but that first impression did not have a favorable result.

Great idea, though. Wish the miata exterior was as dynamic as a Cobra.

What do you guys think of the Cayman S? I did say part-time track car so that is my reasoning for this. Realistically I will never have a car just for tracking.

My defeat in the NASA Great Lakes region came at the hands of a Cayman S. That and a DQ for 20# underweight but that is a different story. They sound really good with an open exhaust too.

I think some of the other suggestions are failing to read the "part-time" portion of your comments. The question I have is what are you going to do with the car when it's not on track?

What do you mean part time? No cage? street legal?

Do you plan to race or just do DE's and TT's. If racing then 1st figure out what your local friends and track guys are racing then figure out which one of those series you like.

DE monster: C5Z06 - modded, Spec Miata Turbo- puts 200 to 250 RWHP, or a Spec Miata with a 5.3L Chevy V8. A friend of mine built one for $32K. It puts down 350 RWHP and weighs 2450 lbs!! He put in CTS-V diff, lots of other one off parts but the car is amazing reliable.

I mean that the car will not be trailered to and from the event. It will be driven on weekends as a registered car normally. I say part time because it will probably only be on the track for 8 days per year.

There are some considerations for track cars that I found missing from this. Most important for me was overall budget and cost to run the car and something I think is quite often overlooked. Light car = easier on tires/brakes/equipment and use much smaller / cheaper tires. Some of these cars like the EVO's/Sti are not easy on tires and that becomes quite a large part of the cost of running a car. There are few cars as fast when it rains though. Does that matter to you? Some of the e36 M3's in this region are really hooked up, but I have no idea what they cost to maintain or run. Lotus I think can't be had without exhausting your budget :)

Are you going to run Time trials? If so looking at the classes and picking a car around those might be the way to go.

These are just some considerations. Also buying a turnkey seems to be less expensive than building. You roll the dice on that of course though and many of the good turn keys are not registered for the street.

Might I recommend a Z32 300ZX Turbo or non turbo.

Stripped for track use they are easy to get less than 3000 lbs. The aftermarket is ample for suspension and chassis mods. The turbo models all have the ability to make a lot of power cheap if you choose to go that route.

From the factory they have a really good balance and a responsive suspension and chassis. One flaw they have is they are a bit heavy, but most of that can be removed by way of the leather seats, sound deadening and so on.

Just a thought.

Might I recommend a Z32 300ZX Turbo or non turbo.

Stripped for track use they are easy to get less than 3000 lbs. The aftermarket is ample for suspension and chassis mods. The turbo models all have the ability to make a lot of power cheap if you choose to go that route.

From the factory they have a really good balance and a responsive suspension and chassis. One flaw they have is they are a bit heavy, but most of that can be removed by way of the leather seats, sound deadening and so on.

Just a thought.

nope, bad idea. improper cooling is your downfall. i have a 300ZX Twin Turbo.

Here's two options that might be fun, albeit hard to tame...

Dodge Viper
Porsche 911

You can get a nice Integra Type R for $15K, or a not so nice one for $10-12K. It may not be the fastest car on the track in a straight line, but the handling is great, it's incredibly reliable, and parts are cheap.

Most important for me was overall budget and cost to run the car and something I think is quite often overlooked. Light car = easier on tires/brakes/equipment and use much smaller / cheaper tires. Some of these cars like the EVO's/Sti are not easy on tires and that becomes quite a large part of the cost of running a car.
Part of the cost depends on how fast you want to go. You'll be faster with R compound track tires, but the Hoosier R6 might last 1000 track miles and you'll get maybe double that with the Toyo RA-1, with others falling in between. You can get more track miles than that if you go with street tires, and the "extreme performance" tires like the Star Spec, RE-11, etc, will give you excellent performance, not quite R compounds but not that different either.

Brake pads and rotors are another frequently-replaced component with track use whose cost should be considered, especially with heavier cars.

nope, bad idea. improper cooling is your downfall. i have a 300ZX Twin Turbo.

I have one as well. I have ran my car pretty hard with an OEM cooling system and have never had any issues. If cooling is a problem there are plenty of choices for upgraded radiators, oil coolers, tranny coolers, and intercoolers. So I don't really see why that would be a limiting factor of the car.

I have one as well. I have ran my car pretty hard with an OEM cooling system and have never had any issues. If cooling is a problem there are plenty of choices for upgraded radiators, oil coolers, tranny coolers, and intercoolers. So I don't really see why that would be a limiting factor of the car.

you aren't running it hard enough then. the foremost 300ZX tuners have tried and have come to that conclusion. the water pump isn't capable of flowing enough and there isn't any aftermarket solutions. another issue is oiling... the oil doesn't drain back quick enough. you can race it anyways, but at risk of blowing the motor.

You can get a nice Integra Type R for $15K, or a not so nice one for $10-12K. It may not be the fastest car on the track in a straight line, but the handling is great, it's incredibly reliable, and parts are cheap.

Part of the cost depends on how fast you want to go. You'll be faster with R compound track tires, but the Hoosier R6 might last 1000 track miles and you'll get maybe double that with the Toyo RA-1, with others falling in between. You can get more track miles than that if you go with street tires, and the "extreme performance" tires like the Star Spec, RE-11, etc, will give you excellent performance, not quite R compounds but not that different either.

Brake pads and rotors are another frequently-replaced component with track use whose cost should be considered, especially with heavier cars.

racing gets expensive, period. you may just want to run something really cheap, like spec miata. at least you are regulated to a certain level of mods and then the only difference is driver skill.

you aren't running it hard enough then. the foremost 300ZX tuners have tried and have come to that conclusion. the water pump isn't capable of flowing enough and there isn't any aftermarket solutions. another issue is oiling... the oil doesn't drain back quick enough. you can race it anyways, but at risk of blowing the motor.

Links to said conclusions?

I'd love to educate myself about the possible dangers of tracking my car. From my readings on TT.net the oil and cooling systems are more than up to the task when properly maintained. I find it a bit hard to believe that all these engines are failing and I just have never heard about it.

I'm not sure how much harder I can drive it. A few hours in 90 degree heat bouncing around the redline @ 15 psi at a 3000 ft should have illuminated and oil and coolant problems.

Just drive your NSX.

plus 1 , for only 8 track days a year and with you wanting to drive to the track(and hopefuly back) the nsx has been my answer for 14 years:cool:

Links to said conclusions?

I'd love to educate myself about the possible dangers of tracking my car. From my readings on TT.net the oil and cooling systems are more than up to the task when properly maintained. I find it a bit hard to believe that all these engines are failing and I just have never heard about it.

I'm not sure how much harder I can drive it. A few hours in 90 degree heat bouncing around the redline @ 15 psi at a 3000 ft should have illuminated and oil and coolant problems.

Kuah @ SPL Parts is the man you want to talk to... but this link speaks briefly about the oil problems... i had to google it by the way as my knowledge does not come from forums.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/spl-time-attack-300zx-nissan-forums-ride-of-the-month.html

Cooling problems I know he was dealing with years back, he may or may not have solved them.

Kuah @ SPL Parts is the man you want to talk to... but this link speaks briefly about the oil problems... i had to google it by the way as my knowledge does not come from forums.

I am very familiar with Kuah, his company, his products, and his car, actually. The oiling problems he is referring to is when the oil sloshes to one side of the pan during long high G corners which starves the engine of oil. Something most street cars, including the NSX, suffer from. It no way means the stock oiling system is incapable of draining adequately. Nor is it a problem that is unique to a Z32 in my opinion.

There are a couple manufacturers now making baffled oil pans to fix the problem Kuah mentions.

I do find it kind of weird that you would provide a link that talks about how fast and good of a track car a 300ZX is in an attempt to point out its shortcomings.

I am very familiar with Kuah, his company, his products, and his car, actually. The oiling problems he is referring to is when the oil sloshes to one side of the pan during long high G corners which starves the engine of oil. Something most street cars, including the NSX, suffer from. It no way means the stock oiling system is incapable of draining adequately. Nor is it a problem that is unique to a Z32 in my opinion.

There are a couple manufacturers now making baffled oil pans to fix the problem Kuah mentions.

I do find it kind of weird that you would provide a link that talks about how fast and good of a track car a 300ZX is in an attempt to point out its shortcomings.

well if you don't believe me, talk to him. please tell me it is the perfect track car with no cooling or oiling issues. or maybe you can find some evidence online. i do things the old school method of talking to people and that is what i was told that its not ideal for road racing.

i personally don't feel its ideal due to its weight and soft chassis alone...

well if you don't believe me, talk to him. please tell me it is the perfect track car with no cooling or oiling issues. or maybe you can find some evidence online. i do things the old school method of talking to people and that is what i was told that its not ideal for road racing.

i personally don't feel its ideal due to its weight and soft chassis alone...

I'm not saying its a perfect car for road racing. No street car is. Just like any car that is seriously tracked will need cooling and oiling upgrades. But I believe it to be a competent competitor.

It is what it is, just something to think about. They are fun, agile, powerful, and a blast to drive.

funny thing about the 300z in all my years of hpde in the NE I have never seen one at the track....supra yes but no 300z:confused:

Back