B Pillar Removal

Just wondering if anyone can provide some tips in removing the B-Pillar?

How difficult is it and if there is anything to watch for?

interior or exterior?

The removal is not too difficult. You need to make sure to remove for at least loosen the A pillar covers as the B pillar cover has tabs that insert into the A-pillar.

In addition, use caution and take your time removing the interior panels as the plastic clips and fiber tabs become brittle with time.

The only special tool needed other than a Phillips No. 2 screw driver is a deep 8mm socket to remove the 2 5mm flange lock nuts (2 per cover). Remove them slowly off the guide post to prevent them from dropping.

The service manual details the removal which you can find on the front page of this website.

Cheers,
-- Chris

The removal is not too difficult. You need to make sure to remove for at least loosen the A pillar covers as the B pillar cover has tabs that insert into the A-pillar.

In addition, use caution and take your time removing the interior panels as the plastic clips and fiber tabs become brittle with time.

The only special tool needed other than a Phillips No. 2 screw driver is a deep 8mm socket to remove the 2 5mm flange lock nuts (2 per cover). Remove them slowly off the guide post to prevent them from dropping.

The service manual details the removal which you can find on the front page of this website.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Thanks....

Thinking about getting the B-pillar painted...

Does anyone have pictures of this? I can only find one 8mm nut that is on a deep post, but nothing else. :confused:

Funny - I am having this done for me this week at a body shop along with the front bumper. I was quoted $500 to do the job (the front bumper has a lot of rash and will need a lot of prep work to make ready for paint).

This is a reputable shop that is known for quality work but not ultimately low prices so FYI your millage may vary.

I had a lot of sun damage on my B pillars and will let everyone know how they turn out.

Funny - I am having this done for me this week at a body shop along with the front bumper. I was quoted $500 to do the job (the front bumper has a lot of rash and will need a lot of prep work to make ready for paint).

This is a reputable shop that is known for quality work but not ultimately low prices so FYI your millage may vary.

I had a lot of sun damage on my B pillars and will let everyone know how they turn out.

I just tore apart my entire interior to get to these darn bolts. Headliner, out. Sunvisors, out. Entire rear trim (all 3 pieces), out. Side piece behind seat and under seat belt anchor, out. It looks like I just gutted my car. Maybe that is because I did!! ARGH!! :redface:

I just tore apart my entire interior to get to these darn bolts. Headliner, out. Sunvisors, out. Entire rear trim (all 3 pieces), out. Side piece behind seat and under seat belt anchor, out. It looks like I just gutted my car. Maybe that is because I did!! ARGH!! :redface:

On top of all that I have the Dali Harness bar in mine! They are going to probably have to get the seats out too to get the harness out to get the...

Good thing I got a fixed price quote! :)

I just finished mine....the first side is harder than the next. One thing that was not clear in my feeble brain was that each side has only 2 of the small nuts to retain the cover. One at the top and one at the bottom. The rest of the cover is retained by 4 or 5 plastic push pins that screw into the cover and snap into the body. I got away with only removing the corner snaps of the headlined and (gently) flexing it back to get access to the top nuts.

If you are replacing the OEM covers with a C/F cover, you might consider removing the delicate rubber trim pieces top and bottom on the OEM cover. This can be done with WD40 and an exacto knife but is a little tricky. (I put a small slice in one of them but super glue made an invisible repair and also works to glue the trim back onto the C/F pillars.

One other point, if you are installing C/F covers.....do not over tighten the top and bottom nuts when re-installing......it will "suck" the C/F cover inwards and distort it a bit at those points.

Back