Automatic with Paddleshifters

Just curious how this actually works.
Is it neccesary to use these paddle shifters or
are there 2 modes where it can also be used as a regular automatic ( ie pre- 1995 NSX's)?

Just curious how this actually works.
Is it neccesary to use these paddle shifters or
are there 2 modes where it can also be used as a regular automatic ( ie pre- 1995 NSX's)?

I didn't think the auto's (NSX's) had paddle shifters, maybe I am wrong, where are you getting this information from?

I didn't think the auto's (NSX's) had paddle shifters, maybe I am wrong, where are you getting this information from?

My Dad's 04 is an auto and has a sports shift mode w/ the shifter on the right behind the steering wheel. I would not a paddle shifter, but close. :wink:

ANY paddle shift car can run in automatic mode, it is never necessary to "use them" during normal driving.

Now, the automatic NSX is not a genuine paddle shift car...it has a slushbox that works like any other automatic transmission....with a silly pinky shift override.

Yes... I stand corrected.. post 1994 cars had a Sportshift "Tiptronic-style"....
but am still confused about this and how it actually works. Can it be put into a regular automatic mode so my wife can drive it?

I never really understood why the made that option. It was just a leaver. They should have put it on the gear shift or used paddles. Paddles in an NSX would be pretty neat.

ANY paddle shift car can run in automatic mode, it is never necessary to "use them" during normal driving.

Now, the automatic NSX is not a genuine paddle shift car...it has a slushbox that works like any other automatic transmission....with a silly pinky shift override.

Not all paddle shift cars can run in automatic mode. The Toyota MR2 Spyder's sequential manual transmission must be shifted manually at all times.

The "Sport Shift" system in my '97 shifts quickly for a "Tip-Tronic" style transmission, but make no mistake the transmission determines the shift points. It will downshift for you in "manual" mode if you forget to, and will up shift for you if you are in danger of over-revving the engine. I bought this particular car because of the automatic transmission. I never use the "Sport Shift" system, nor does my wife who can't drive a manual.

Back