Automatic Transmission problem - won't change gears, CEL code ERROR 15

First, please excuse me for my bad English (it is not my native language and i don't speak it very good).

So... my name is Alex, i am from Bulgaria (east Europe). The year 1995 i was 10 years old and i saw NSX on photo in some magazine. Since then, NSX is my dream car. Honda is my hobby, NSX is the car i wanted most. I know and read the NSX PRIME forum since 2003 (from the time when there was an "adopt a manatee" banner on it) and with few words, i am a HONDA maniac, all my life is Honda cars and NSX specifically is the "impossible dream", this is it. I had and recently have many Honda cars, but NSX was the "brightest star" in my mind.

In June 2024 (before 3 - 4 months) i already bought my NSX, my dream came true :) .

AP1GczOXRAOevNZuumJ3slGut292TEu8dB8tC5PYWbZhOG2qckwUmsgDLSCEdRmb6wsGsA8-byQIxtS-LzBkxYr5O4WT6RMybWcnvQaX4rIi0QHCa6Of4DPA-hGA6ZH5ldSYBwDpHPS7kYBokoiGsmyjSWurYQ=w2506-h1880-s-no-gm

AP1GczPJhz_aGRJpJSksshFBeAXQJMpasfZwuAOvOlL9zLj_RSKZWBKL9gHjK4fmp0p0IPGz27ekyNg11k4A8z6wxeHEnE4-kGlEBcLmUlufZUO7-X2SxeZLo-YdmN58tuiSuGsa8Fug-7lOPye7A8EnKUC4rQ=w2506-h1880-s-no-gm

AP1GczMCpbvSPWCi41HNEZnsMPkAybYjh7fYQo8H2-ghy2NW9s6oC2dQpeIxN8_7U1FmY2VYsf9kaucIy6mJTPZTUVHMvmzpWVN7YOUtN-CO3t7Z8GMbDH3dS4K04sdE-CMtsj8GMHcdjUGix-zSS-6ZPywHGw=w2506-h1880-s-no-gm

AP1GczPCUoNgjV6SicW7ZUIVZ2414Uww27GebYDSr7xaA_oBk1eUALNHX3PbL9MfFLkIjyX3srxX8yY9eYPyXxO9rcfqt_FhOKTPifRCmMsrleA-ok7BO5WvJA6JFCyKR1tRydKZOEyGNyPYh6vcyOYt82w1WQ=w2506-h1880-s-no-gm

It is European model, Sebring Silver, exported from Switzerland (it's a Honda, not an Acura), 1996, Targa, Automatic. It is the SPORTSHIFT / F Matic model, with the steering wheel shifter option for manual shifting. It is nice and very good car in good shape, full stock (without "fast and furious" stuffs on it, you know what i mean), around 170 000km (around 106 000 miles). I drive it almost everyday, for 3 months i made on it more than 5000km (around 3000 miles). I love that car. Even i love the automatic transmission how switch and works, i love it. I drove also and other NSX , a manual 5 speed 1994 NSX (the car is of a friend of mine), i see the difference between the 0-60 mph acceleration between the AUTO and MANUAL, but i am OK with that (the automatic is a little bit slower than the manual car). The transmission shifts smooth, nice and very logical when it needs to do it (for the record, i had a lot and even now have BMW's with 8 speed ZF automatic, in some cases i really thing the old school 4 speed NSX transmission is not very far behind the 8 Speed ZF, even i think the NSX's automatic is even better in some cases than the ZF 8 speed !!!, but this is my thoughts).

Well it is an old car with some issues, I already repaired the alternator, the temperature control unit (leaked capacitors, you know), replace the timing belt/water pump/seals, replaces the brake fluid, put new YOKOHAMA tires on it, i installed DRL's inside the corner lights, Bluetooth connectivity and i drive the car almost everyday, i just love the car, my dream came true. But i didn't change the oil of the transmission. The level is perfect, but i just didn't change it. Maybe i made a mistake not to change it...

Until few days, everything was perfect :(

Before few days, i drove the NSX, i made few... "drag starts", 0-60 mph. I just make some fun. But after only 2 - 3 times, the transmission just didn't want to shift up, didn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Even in manual mode, you shift 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear, but nothing happen. The engine revs up, but don't want to accelerate, don't want to shift up next gear. The car drive only on 1st gear. When you hit hard the acceleration pedal, the car don't accelerate, it is more like... in neutral gear (revs up, but don't accelerate). When i stop the car and make some gear selecting from D to R, the usual "kick" is not very hard, it is weak and also slow, you understand that it shift from D to R (or from R to D, whatever) not at the same moment, but after 3-4 seconds. In other words, the car drives only on 1st (or REVERSE) gear, only in slow RPMs , don't want to shift UP next gear. If i stop the car, turn off the engine and start the car after few seconds SURPRISE - the transmission gears UP next gear, it shifts to 2nd and even 3rd or 4th gears, but after few seconds, everything repeats - start to revs up the engine without acceleration (just like you hit in neutral gear) and drives only in 1st gear and low RPMs.
I have to say, that there is NOT any harsh gear change (when it can change gears) or nasty kicks or strange noise from the transmission. Before years i had 1998 Prelude with H22 engine with automatic transmission, which the transmission was in very bad condition, with kicks on it... the NSX tranny does NOT feel like the Prelude's transmission. I just don't feel it is dead tranny.

The D light does NOT blinks when i drive the car. But when i made self diagnostic (when i jumper the blue two pin connector under the glove box) i see that there is a CEL code. I even unplug the 7.5 AMPER fuse for the clock, to erase all the CEL's, but after driving the car little bit, the CEL appers again. I am not quite sure, but i think it is ERROR CODE 15 (one long and five short blinks). I made a video clip with the self diagnostic, you may see it and tell me if this is ERROR CODE 15 (just like i think):

So... i am sorry for the long post with my bad English, but... have someone had this problems with the automatic transmission like me? Am i read it correctly this is ERROR 15? And if it is really ERROR 15, what is the problem, what i have to repair? I just need a help.

Thank You.

Last edited:
I don't have the service manual in front of me, but yes that is Error 15. You should download a copy of the 97-05 manual from the Prime Library and follow the troubleshooting steps for Error 15.

The NSX AT uses shift control solenoids (they look like the VTEC spool valve) to actuate the clutch packs to select gears. It also uses a linear shift solenoid, which is a bigger unit on the bottom of the transmission. What you're describing sounds like some kind of fault in the shift solenoid control. The AT computer is seeing a fault and locking out the solenoids.

Yes i downloaded the PDF. Unfortunately, there are missing pages exactly where the auto tranny diagnostic is. Even that, i find information in the other PDF (1991 model).

So the Error 15 is mainshaft speed sensor. In the PDF says, that the resistor must be between 400 - 600 ohms, myne is 490 ohms. I erase the error (clock fuse 7.5), but after while, error again shows.

Today, the transmission felt different - it starts from 2nd and drives only in 2nd gear (and revers of course). Neither 1st, nor 3rd or 4th. I change the tranny oil, very dirty. After the oil change, only few times the tranny starts from 1st and shift up to 3rd and 4th, but after all, it drives (and starts from) 2nd gear.

Was the fluid burnt? If so, game over: needs rebuild.

Good news is that rebuilding an AT is not difficult, it is an exercise in cleanliness and organization. Not a lot of special tools are required except for a clutch spring press. (Which can be fabricated or gotten cheaply from AliExpress.) The hardest part for you is likely the removal and replacement of the unit.

WhrdNSX in AU should have several AT transmissions to ship you.

Somewhere I believe you posted a question regarding tiptronic the same as previous models. I believe they are.

Plenty of Honda AT rebuild DIY's on YouTube, they are pretty much the same.

Back