Are you sure you want a 10+ year old NSX?

How well do rockauto rebuilt parts hold up compared to OEM? Seems too good to be true.

First, I'm not affiliated, but I am very frugal when it makes sense to be that way. Like I said, some stuff is just hard to screw up. I've got probably 5 track events on rock-auto end-links, with no issues.

Their "remanufactured" front brake calipers are the original Nissin castings that have been cleaned up with new pistons and seals. They never have too many in stock, but they're a steal as well. Again, I've got 5-6 track events on those without a leak or any other issue.

I'm not going to go buying off-brand tie-rod ends, brake master cylinder, or engine parts from there (things that could kill me, or cost me a lot of money if they break)...but for simple items, and/or ones I can confirm are essentially OEM parts that someone's cleaned and re-spec'd....sure.

I've purchased a couple of new cars, and lots of used cars. Yes, used cars are a gamble no matter how you slice it, and I try to improve my odds by getting them inspected beforehand, especially if I don't know the seller & vehicle history. The fact is old things (not just cars) do tend to break down more often, which can be a hassle, but financially speaking I've come out further ahead with them than buying new cars and taking the hit on depreciation. Unless you plan to trade in your car after the warranty expires, Hondas are a safer bet as they've traditionally been more reliable over the long haul compared to domestic/European brands. Plus there are no new cars that look and feel like the NSX--especially for the price of a used one, so sometimes going the used car route is unavoidable if you have your heart set on a particular vehicle. If you're looking to own an exotic sports car, there's nothing more reliable than an NSX.

Last edited:
+1

well said sir.

I've purchased a couple of new cars, and lots of used cars. Yes, used cars are a gamble no matter how you slice it, and I try to improve my odds by getting them inspected beforehand, especially if I don't know the seller & vehicle history. The fact is old things (not just cars) do tend to break down more often, which can be a hassle, but financially speaking I've come out further ahead with them than buying new cars and taking the hit on depreciation. Unless you plan to trade in your car after the warranty expires, Hondas are a safer bet as they've traditionally been more reliable over the long haul compared to domestic/European brands. Plus there are no new cars that look and feel like the NSX--especially for the price of a used one, so sometimes going the used car route is unavoidable if you have your heart set on a particular vehicle. If you're looking to own an exotic sports car, there's nothing more reliable than an NSX.

$450 for the repair is a bargain...

Pacific Porsche wanted to charge me $4,500 to replace the clutch slave cylinder on my 996TT!

Back