Are you sure you want a 10+ year old NSX?

I doubt you are going to convince many people on this board that our cars can be unreliable. The general consensus about NSX reliability is overwhelmingly positive.

Your current problem sounds like an easy fix, and can be somewhat common on the NSX.

To the OP...

I offered in a PM back in mid July to go take a look at the car you were thinking about buying here in Nashville, but never heard back from you.

I told you in the PM how picky I was, so perhaps if you had gotten back with me about this car, you might have discovered the need for a $700 exterior and wheel detail as well as the clutch problems you are now having.

Live and learn...

Or perhaps you would of missed it too :)

To the OP...

I offered in a PM back in mid July to go take a look at the car you were thinking about buying here in Nashville, but never heard back from you.

I told you in the PM how picky I was, so perhaps if you had gotten back with me about this car, you might have discovered the need for a $700 exterior and wheel detail as well as the clutch problems you are now having.

Live and learn...

No offense, but it would take some divining rods or chicken bones to predict an impending hydraulic problem on an otherwise clean car. If he had Barney do the PPI, he had pretty much the best in the business do the PPI. I'm forced to assume it wasn't gushing clutch fluid at the time, and I'm pretty sure the OP has eyeballs and would have been aware of the rim rash....

It just comes across a little 'hood to be putting a guilt trip on the OP for not taking you up on an offer.

As I said, I don't know you personally, and stuff doesn't come across on the internet well sometimes, so take it with a grain of salt. Sorry I'm not as diplomatic as bigbadberry ;)

Back on topic:

The Hydraulic systems on these cars isn't a "common" source of problems save for the ABS system when it gets on towards 20 years (as some of the early car owners have discovered). My factory slave cylinder finally gave up at ~220,000 miles, so a 30k failure is odd. The good news: The parts are relatively cheap, and as others have pointed out, shouldn't involve much down-time. I'd speculate with so few miles in 10 years the internal seals might have dried out or not been as well lubricated as a more-consistently driven car. Rubber, as a material, does have a shelf life.

It sucks to have this happen right after you got it, but it's really not indicative (hopefully) of problems to come.

That said, you have to remember, even though it's a Honda, it's a higher-strung Honda, so will need a little extra attention vs. a new Accord. Hopefully you'll have it back and driving quickly so you can get back to enjoying it.

To date, I think bngl3rt is the only person who I've seen end up with a basket case that was supposedly a clean car through little-to-no fault of his own. (Mine was a basket case, but I knew good and well how much maintenance had been deferred going in...so that's a bit different and due to neglect).

Last edited:
Bringing it to the dealership may be risky. Do you have any history with them? I hope they don't tell you your clutch is shot when all you need is a new slave and bleed. I've had my 01 for two years and in that time I did the tb/wp, valves, brake and clutch bleed, and one bad wheel speed sensor. The wss was the only unexpected thing. Good luck with yours.

I'm pretty sure the OP has eyeballs and would have been aware of the rim rash....

It just comes across a little 'hood to be putting a guilt trip on the OP for not taking you up on an offer.

I PM'ed the OP and offered to go look at the car for him to tell him my opinion of the car. I've owned a lot cars over the past 26 years I've been married and have restored many Corvettes to Bloomington Gold/ NCRS Top Flight condition, so I do have some idea of what to look for. I was only trying to be helpful to a potential NSX buyer.

I'm not saying I would have caught the clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder issue he seems to now have (I probably wouldn't have), but I certainly could have pointed out the need for a paint correction and wheel refinishing he spent $700 on. That info might have saved him some $$$ by offering less to the seller.

Last edited:
I PM'ed the OP and offered to go look at the car for him to tell him my opinion of the car. I've owned a lot cars over the past 26 years I've been married and have restored many Corvettes to Bloomington Gold/ NCRS Top Flight condition, so I do have some idea of what to look for. I was only trying to be helpful to a potential NSX buyer.

I'm not saying I would have caught the clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder issue he seems to now have (I probably wouldn't have), but I certainly could have pointed out the need for a paint correction and wheel refinishing he spent $700 on. That info might have saved him some $$$ by offering less to the seller.

I'm sure you meant well and I personally wouldn't turn down a (second,third,etc) educated opinion when buying a car. 'Just came off a little funny with that original post. :smile:

5. Timing belt/water pump, all fluids, belts, major services by Barnman $4K

Am I the only one to think this is very high, like double what it should be?

I think it'd depend on what's included in the rest of those "major services". Barney's usually very fair on his pricing.

OK, that's fair, especially if vendor cited has a good reputation. Thanks for replying.

To the OP,

I'm not a mechanic so I wont venture to guess what the issue was, but it sounds like everyone else is already on it. :wink:

This however, based on your signature, is your 3rd NSX. We know you were venting, but why vent as if the NSX was one of your worse purchasing decisions ever, and because of your clutch issue, you're never buying a used car again? :confused:

Every used vehicle I have ever purchased has ended up with some kind of mechnical issue, mainly due to age, regardless of mileage. For every solid 10+ year old NSX out there, there are half a dozen that are not taken care of as meticulous, therefore will end up with some kind of issue down the road if not addressed. Bottom line, and you should know having owned 3 NSXs, is that there are some out there that are in far better mechanical shape than others. The law of averages suggests that someone will purchase an NSX and spend way more money than they anticipated at the time of purchase.

A friend has worked at the head mechanic at a Ferrari dealership.
Not so long ago, he as sharing how much a repair on a transmission was
for a client $38K.

YIKES! Now that is expensive.

master clutch went out take about 20 minutes to replace

no biggy

how much for the car if you want to sell it PM me

Hello, gentlemen,

Sorry for the late reply.

The dealership just called and indeed it was the slave cylinder, the quote was about $450 for the work. They are gonna get back to me tomorrow about how much it will be for both master and slave cylinders, as they just closed.

Sorry, gotta go now, I'm in the middle of a new home purchase right now, and it also is not going that smoothly LOL Murphy's law, I guess

I will try to answer the other questions later.

I hope you don't end up venting on some HOMEPRIME.com in a few weeks about some leaky faucet or a pinhole in your water heater that the home inspector didn't catch. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello, gentlemen,

The dealership just called and indeed it was the slave cylinder, the quote was about $450 for the work. They are gonna get back to me tomorrow about how much it will be for both master and slave cylinders, as they just closed.

Sorry, gotta go now, I'm in the middle of a new home purchase right now, and it also is not going that smoothly LOL Murphy's law, I guess

Hello, gentlemen,

I just replaced the master and slave in my 1997. I do not see how replacing just the slave could cost $450. DelRay Acura sells the slave cylinder for $92. Remove airbox (5 mins). Disconnect clutch line (3 mins). Remove/replace slave (15 mins). Bleed line (15 mins).

Last edited:
I just replaced the master and slave in my 1997. I do not see how replacing just the slave could cost $450. DelRay Acura sells the slave cylinder for $92. Remove airbox (5 mins). Disconnect clutch line (3 mins). Remove/replace slave (15 mins). Bleed line (15 mins).

I'm actually having my master and slave replaced by the dealership on Friday and I was quoted close to $600 with parts and labor, he said the master cyl job is 2 labor hours, not sure how many the slave is but it should be less. $450 for just the slave seems VERY steep.

Rockauto.com: $19.00 US for a re-manufactured unit on close-out.

Seriously, for something complicated, or "if its breaks other things will go wrong" part...OEM all the way. For something as hard to screw up as a slave cylinder, I'll take my $70 and put it towards then next set of brake pads, or OEM pulley/suspension bit/whateveritisineednext. :smile:

::edit:: they've got a master cylinder for $93 as well. So the R13 (budget) Acura quote is $150. That's ~$122 in parts, ~$15 for some brake fluid, and a small budget for the swear jar just in case I spray brake fluid in my face bleeding the system.

Last edited:
Seriously and as other primers have stated, replacing the slave cylinder as like fixing your regular HONDA Civic.
While you are at it, I would recommend to replace the master as well or at least inspect it for any leak on the carpet.

I would not pay that kind of money for his pool.

Last edited:
OP,

Next time contact Dave at Streater Smith Honda(Conroe). He just did TB/WP/hoses,fluids, clutch master cylinder etc etc on my car 2 weeks ago. He is a NSX master mechanic who will take excellent care of your car and get you the parts at 30% off!!

GL... hope your NSX experience improves.

Ritesh.

Rockauto.com: $19.00 US for a re-manufactured unit on close-out.

Seriously, for something complicated, or "if its breaks other things will go wrong" part...OEM all the way. For something as hard to screw up as a slave cylinder, I'll take my $70 and put it towards then next set of brake pads, or OEM pulley/suspension bit/whateveritisineednext. :smile:

::edit:: they've got a master cylinder for $93 as well. So the R13 (budget) Acura quote is $150. That's ~$122 in parts, ~$15 for some brake fluid, and a small budget for the swear jar just in case I spray brake fluid in my face bleeding the system.

How well do rockauto rebuilt parts hold up compared to OEM? Seems too good to be true.

Back