Are Prime Members Ferrari Lurkers?

A buddy of mine told me that an individual on Ferrarichat.com stated that a great deal of Nsxprime members are Ferrari lurkers...I for one find the word "lurker" offensive. Am I the only one who hodls a great loyalty to the NSX? I realize that people do move on to other vehicles...but to assert that us members would rather have a Ferrari than an NSX is wrong. I for one would never own one...if I had the extra capital to openly afford one...I would spend it on a number of other interests and loves...the NSX fullfills my exotic car needs...especially the modded ones! :redface:

Here in Calgary, my car is actually more rare than any Ferrari...lol...way too funny.

Dam:cool:

Last edited:
Never been to a ferrari site, Sure I like ferrari's. But I love my nsx. If i had more money, I'd own more then one nsx, the toy, and the pure all stock in perfect condition garage queen.

I, myself, never think of getting a F car, but always think of getting the second NSX if my wife permits ( she will think I am crazzzzzzy to get the same of the kind :frown:).

I would rather save up the money to get the 2nd NSX rather than fixing the F car.

mutual admiration...

There are Ferrari owners on 'Prime, just as there are NSX owners on F-Chat. It's more a commonality & appreciation towards nice vehicles & exotics in general. There are topics of shared gatherings/group-events and insightful discussions of other makes/models & so forth on both forums. . .

Not to mention viewing images posted on F-Chat requires an user-account.

I for one never look at the name/badge/emblem/etc' of a make/model for a vehicle & use that as the catalyst or factor as to liking or not liking it. If Hyundai, Suzuki, or Vauxhall made stuff that looked like a NSX, 360 Modena, Gallardo, etc', I'd be a fan of them as well. . .

Last edited:
Re: mutual admiration...

There are Ferrari owners on 'Prime, just as there are NSX owners on F-Chat. It's more a commonality & appreciation towards nice vehicles & exotics in general. There are topics of shared gatherings/group-events and insightful discussions of other makes/models & so forth on both forums. . .

Not to mention viewing images posted on F-Chat requires an user-account.

I for one never look at the name/badge/emblem/etc' of a make/model for vehicle & use that as the catalyst or factor as to liking or not liking it. If Hyundai, Suzuki, or Vauxhall made stuff that looked like a NSX, 360 Modena, Gallardo, etc', I'd be a fan of them as well. . .

+1
I am on Fchat, 6spd online, viperalley, supraforums, ZO6vette , lambo-power, honda-tech, e46fanatics blah blah I like cars regardless of Make. Not all the owners on each forum are tools but there are on each forum including PRIME. In many ways prime, is the slowest forums site I participate in. I have met diff forum members in different parts of the world and they are more or the same as many NSX owners>>> CAR PEOPLE

-g-

I admit that I'm a lurker- so what? What better way to learn about a particular car than to lurk through a forum. An FCar purchase requires alot more due diligence because who wants to get stuck with a $150K lemon?

For me, the problem with lurking around is that now I want one. So as a car enthusiast, I hope to be blessed to own some exotics in my lifetime. (I just hope my NSX is not reading this.)

Last edited:
I personally haven't been to ferrarichat at all, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want a ferrari. I love my NSX but hope to be able to own a ferrari someday. I've been saying since before I got my NSX that as long as I had a place to keep it I'd never sell it.

"Lurking" doesn't have any negative connotations to me. People visit every forum without posting all the time just to do research. I did a ton of reading on this site for months before I had anything to contribute and started posting. I don't think that makes me lame. I would do the same thing on a forum for any car I was considering purchasing.

Ferrari lurkers? I lurk a lot of websites.. and none of them are Ferrari sites... or Lambos or anything like that. If I had the money, would I own one? Nooo, heck if I didn't have an NSX, I'd have a 240Z. Tons of cars before a Ferrari.... but give me a Gallago!!

I am a member of F-Chat.

Good, well run site.
I am looking around and considering buying one but I will keep my NSX. I love this car.

"lurking" is what got me onto NSXPrime in the first place, well that and the love for the car.

I'm also on 6speedonline as I've always wanted a 97 or 98 993 C4S...:tongue: most beautiful of all 911's made.

I don't own a Ferrari or an NSX. I used to think I would eventually own an Ferrari, but now I don't think I want one. I would much rather have an NSX.

I am a subscribed member of FerrariChat. I appreciate the Ferrari mystique and the beauty of most of their designs. I have gone to- and photographed exactly two of their events, and had the images featured in The Ferraris of Chicagoland calendars and in Pilota magazine. I've met some nice folks in person and online.

Over the years, my Ferrari-owning fantasy has been dimmed. No matter what kind you get, you have to expect to spend or put aside at least $5,000 for maintenance per year, even if you barely drive it. The older cars need everything replaced, and the newer cars need their Major Service every 15,000 miles. I think you would have to be delusional to expect to get 100,000 miles from a Ferrari. The list of "things to watch out for" when shopping used Ferraris can fill a book. Can a Ferrari be used as a daily driver? Only if you have a LOT of money to burn, a short commute, no salted roads, it's not too hot, and you have a spare car, - oh god, why risk it? Their cost-to-own-per-mile has to be about the highest of any car.

By comparison, I admire the NSX design and form, and the reliability it achieves while looking so good. I don't think any NSX owner doubts their car can get well over 100,000 miles. it seems the NSX "list of things to watch out for" contains only a few things: Snap Ring, slow windows. Visors. Um, not much else. Can an NSX be used as a daily driver? Of course! They are so much more practical.

I don't think the NSX has the "mystique" that Ferrari has, and that's probably good. When I look at a Ferrari, I can feel the "mystique." A lot of that feeling is that "Wow, somebody can afford to keep that thing running. It must be nice for them." I think that if Ferraris were more reliable or less of a headache to maintain, some of the mystique would not be there.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority here but I honestly don't have any desire to own a Ferrari. It's not that I don't love the way they look and sound and drive (drove a 360 once, years ago). It's just that I'm not a Ferrai guy and I couldn't stand having that much $$ tied up in a single vehicle. I always liked the value equation of the NSX and it's become a classic in automotive design as years have gone by.

I'm a member of F-Chat just so I can look at pictures. I think I have 2 or 3 posts over there and that's it. I really only signed up because of the pics. Bet I haven't been on F-Chat in over a year.

And I have no desire to own a car that temperamental, fragile and outrageously expensive to do the most basic maintenance on.

And this is 100% opinion, but I feel like NSX owners are better car "enthusiasts" than Ferrari owners. Most NSX owners I know have a deep love for their car and can tell you all about it, and also appreciate other cars. Most F owners I know don't know $hit about their car, and just like to walk around saying "I've got a Ferrari". They're look down on other peoples rides when they can't tell you anything about their own car but the brand.
So even if I decide to get one (I'd get a Lambo first), I probably wouldn't want to hang out with 97% of the poser F owners anyway. :tongue:

Last edited:
I don't think the NSX has the "mystique" that Ferrari has, and that's probably good. When I look at a Ferrari, I can feel the "mystique." A lot of that feeling is that "Wow, somebody can afford to keep that thing running. It must be nice for them." I think that if Ferrari's were more reliable or less of a headache to maintain, some of the mystique would not be there.

Agreed 100%

I am a member on F chat. Not a active one or a lurker. I signed up to look at a group of pics from a meet once.

I for one would not want to own a F car right now. Maybe when I am older and have several other "garage queen" type cars there will be one or two in there. For me I enjoy the drive more than the fact I can say I have a rare and or exotic car. I would rather get rock chips than dust and that phrase explains why I dont want one.

I am a Fchatter, but I only post @ the FL forums, great people, very good knowledge among the individuals there, i have become friends with some of them, they LOVE my NSX and can't say enough good things about it, there's also an 03 owner with a gorgeous blue NSX that normally is our wingman during cruises, unlike LAMBOPOWER (A TOTAL different world/dynamics) fchat people consider NSX's exotic ... the FL fchatters are enthusiasts and even gather to watch F1 races together.

I get invited to their events/dinners etc, we cruise, etc, contrary of some might think, the owners are very nice people, some of them know that i might go Fcar some day (i hope-KEEPING my nsx) but i heard already a couple of times that IF i get an Fcar i should get a F430, they think the NSX is pretty much "almost" even with the F360 in most aspects, that if i want something "different" than it should be F430, that shows knowledge, leave alone that most of those guys are older/mature so it's easy to engage in real conversations in real life.

Cheers
Oscar

Last edited:
Nope. Definately not interested.

I am on Fchat, Pantera chat and here. I own all three marques and each has its rewards. We are all car guys.

www.panteraguy.com

Agreed...
"lurker" says more about the person making the comment than the person receiving the comment.
The reaction to the comment...that is where NSX (or any other mark's owner) shows their mettle.

Missed you at Cars and Coffee Saturday

As a car guy, I'm into all cars - from NSXs, Ferrari's to cars from the 20's and 30's. FChat can be a good source of info for anyone (like me) who might someday add a Ferrari to the garage. I've posted on FChat sharing my interest in the F355 and F360 and got a couple of invitations from guys to come out and drive their cars (and they've never met me).

I'm a member of Fchat but I haven't gone on that site in months. The older I get the less I want a Ferrari. It is kinda sad actually. All my life I have dreamed of owning a Ferrari. But now that I can afford one I don't really want one.:confused:

I would much rather have the cars I have now and drive then than have a Ferrari sitting in my garage.

Not a member, but I have poked around over there a few times...I was considering adding a Ferrari to my NSX stable. I will NEVER sell my NSX, unless some financial tragedy looms, and if so, it'll be the last thing to go. :rolleyes:

As we all seem to know, maintenance on the Italian is a killer. That, and the initial cost of entry has kept me on the sidelines...though there is an old 348 that I have my eyes on, but in reality the 355 is more like our NSX's (and is a better Ferrari).

I am a member of LotusTalk and will be buying an Exige S240 or an Evora in (I hope) 2011.

Back